Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Poll - How old were you when dx with BC

Options

Comments

• dfrn212
    dfrn212 Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2009
    Options

First diagnosis Stage I at 23 years old, with a palpable lump and a negative mammogram. Now 37 with no palpable lump and a new stage I seen on mammo/US and MRI. BRCA1+.

• jburke1
    jburke1 Member Posts: 258
    edited December 2009
    Options

35 DX with stage I, just finished rads in November, no chemo. Started Tamox 3 weeks ago.

• Katey
    Katey Member Posts: 496
    edited December 2009
    Options

32  IDC stage 2 right side,  52 DCIS left side

BRCA-

• kellee24
    kellee24 Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2009
    Options

im 24..... just found out about 2.5 weeks ago....

• clemson93
    clemson93 Member Posts: 36
    edited December 2009
    Options

37 stage 3

• NOTaStatistic
    NOTaStatistic Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2009
    Options

I was 38 (Stage IV). Mets to bones two years later. Mets to liver four years later.

• LC815
    LC815 Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2009
    Options

OMG, everyone is so young. Hateful, not "pretty in pink", is this disease.

43 initial dx.  48, stage IV -- liver mets.

• yellow
    yellow Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    Options
    32 stage 3 triple negative
  • lillian1
    lillian1 Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2009
    Options

Hi,

I was 45 when diagnosed (premenopausal) and was already at a stage IV with mets to spine & liver. 

• Psalm121
    Psalm121 Member Posts: 179
    edited December 2009
    Options

diagnosed at 44 then turned 45 two months later. 

I had extremely dense breast tissue, regular mammograms since age 40, no family hx. No lump, had burning right breast pain and really prominent veinous pattern, since annual mammogram was 6 months earlier, had diagnostic mammogram/ultrasound.  Mammogram did NOT show abnormality. US would have if technician had done whole breast US, would only do targeted US.  Radiologist recommended "MRI if breast pain persists".  Primary Doctor then scheduled Breast MRI, which saved my LIFE!    Women need whole-breast ultrasounds done in addition to other diagnostic imaging, especially for dense breast tissue that younger women have.  My tumor was marked with a clip after biopsy and it still did not show up on diagnostic mammogram, there was the clip, though.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 61
    edited January 2010
    Options

31 with original Stage IIIb

33 with mets to bone, lungs and liver

BRCA 1 & 2 negative

• Nicole112
    Nicole112 Member Posts: 130
    edited December 2009
    Options

36 and hopeful that I kicked it in th A**!

• Skpitts
    Skpitts Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2010
    Options

37, IDC, brc-, er-, her2+, 4 cm, 2 lymph nodes, no mets....undergoing chemo pre surgery (8 of 16 treatments done). 

• missmelis1
    missmelis1 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2010
    Options

42 yo. Analog mammogram neg at 41. Digital mammo found it the following year.

• sadmom
    sadmom Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2010
    Options

I was 34, diagnosed in 1989, ERPR+, no node involvement, had  lumpectomy and radiation, been fine since.  Daughter diagnosed in July 09 at 30, ERPR+, HER2-, 0/2 nodes, lumpectomy, FAC 4x, now undergoing Taxol 12x and will have rads, tamox. She tested neg for BRAC genes.  I had a biopsy which was negative in late 1988 but 6 months later had a lump under the scar from the biopsy, waited around for another 4 months thinking that it couldn't be anything, I just had a negative biopsy in that same area!  Had to be scar tissue....then it grew more and attached itself to the skin.  Daughter started having mammos at 20 because of my history, she did not feel her lump but primary care doc did and also showed up on mammo.  Exact same size as mine, 1.8 cm.  She had a clear mammo the year before and breast MRI two years before also clear.  No history in our family other than me, now 20 years later her.  Doctors believe there is some mutation other than those they know about that must have started with me.  I worry more because she hasn't had a family yet and wants one....doc said she would be able to go off tamox after two years to try to get pregnant.  Hopefully there will be no problem with infertility after FAC, taxol.  I haven't told her this but I would rather she wouldn't risk pregnancy as she is very ER/PR+, and would adopt instead....but that is a few years off.  Have to stay in the present!

• mrsb45
    mrsb45 Member Posts: 13
    edited January 2010
    Options

Original Dx. @ 50, stage 1, grade 3

Local recurrance 10 mos. later, age 51: stage 1B

• jezzy234
    jezzy234 Member Posts: 127
    edited January 2010
    Options

DX at 52.  Mammos never picked it up.  Felt a "thickening" . MRI picked up a mass- after panic subsided and a MX, was dx'd with multifocal cancer-biggest tumor 1.5 cm.  Doc said the beast had been there for years.  How did the mammos miss it?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 61
    edited January 2010
    Options

How did the mammos miss it?

Easily. The mammo is ~50% correct (just like US, but if you combine them you have 75%).

• julie07
    julie07 Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2010
    Options

Diagnosed at age 37, stage III DCIS, 9" tumor, node involvement (never had a mammo) Diagnosed in 09 with mets to spine and leg...orginal path work for tumor was estrogen + HER2-...second dianosis proved to be HER2 positive, they believe my orginal path work missed the HER2...can't see how that happened with a 9" tumor

• js37
    js37 Member Posts: 47
    edited January 2010
    Options

had just turned 37 3 months before i got the "official" diagnosis, but they say i was probably walking around with it for a year.  which sounds about right, because i noticed a "squishy" feeling in my breast probably 6 months earlier (my tumor has a cystic component), but thought nothing of it because it wasn't the hard little pea type thing they tell you to look for. i didn't go to the dr for it until i had bloody discharge from my nipple in october.

• Kodapants
    Kodapants Member Posts: 18
    edited January 2010
    Options

Diagnosed at 47, stage III.  I found lump myself,  they did mammo, ultrasound, pet scan and breast MRI. Had breast exam 4 months earlier and regular mammo's. However,  my breast surgeon said, even at 5 cm the lump didn't show up on mammo.  She said that is the case for about 20% of cases with dense breasts. I did Neoadjuvant,  dbl mastectomy and more chemo then Rads. I  plan to have dbl lat reconstruction in March 15, 2010 if all goes well.

• Padiddle
    Padiddle Member Posts: 139
    edited January 2010
    Options

I was 41 years old when first diagnosed.  50 years old when recurrence came.  Jean

• Lowrider54
    Lowrider54 Member Posts: 333
    edited January 2010
    Options

44 with initial bc

55 with bc mets to spine

• MarieK
    MarieK Member Posts: 467
    edited January 2010
    Options

• jinnypel
    jinnypel Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2010
    Options

I was 34 at the time and it was BRCA1 although the nurse at the breast clinic said that I could not get breast cancer through my fathers side (a load of s___ to be honest).  Thank goodness my cousin called and said get yourself down for a blood test.  BRCA1 positive and so was she her first bc @ 37 and my aunt @ 39.  Had my ovaries removed and now awaiting tests on mets to spine

• shadow2356
    shadow2356 Member Posts: 93
    edited January 2010
    Options

I was 44. It was this year. My mother died of it at 44, 28 years ago. I am BRCA-

• Rocco12
    Rocco12 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2010
    Options

just joined today 7/1/10 - 62 1/2 yrs - lumpectomy and 1 node - found out that is cancerous so going back to have more nodes removed and then>>>>>>will update you all - this is a good forum - thank you all ladies for sharing - I forget to say that it was Stage 2 the lump but I do not anymore about it at this stage except about 2.5 cm.

• tania73
    tania73 Member Posts: 11
    edited January 2010
    Options

i was a months off 33 dec 05 stage 1, mets lung/bones to the day 08

• LuvJesus4Ever
    LuvJesus4Ever Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2010
    Options

29 stage II now 30 with stage IV

• Enjoyful
    Enjoyful Member Posts: 278