Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Poll - How old were you when dx with BC

Comments

• stlcardsfan
    stlcardsfan Member Posts: 227
    edited July 2010

42, was told it was just a cyst. And it hurt. I pressed and got ultrasound, then mammogram, same day. Which lead to biopsy - and dx. 

Had been getting annual mammo's since 34 due to dense, cyst prone breasts. Also BRCA 2+, found that out after dx. First one in my family to be tested, and no one else will be tested since I found out. 

• Sandy05
    Sandy05 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010

I was diagnoised a month ago with IDC also traveled into my lymph nodles. I am 69 years old and also scared to death. My doctors wanted to start my chemo before surgery to shrink the cancer. I had my first chemo treatment  of Adrigmyclin and Cytoxan on Aug. 4..(2 weeks apart)  I have to have 4 cycles of those two drugs and then start 4 cycles of Taxotete ...(3 weeks apart)  I just pray to God that I will make it through this chemo and surgery and have a good chance of emjoying some happy healthy years of  life to see my 3 great grandsons grow up.

• Latte
    Latte Member Posts: 141
    edited August 2010

I was 39 at dx (Stage IIIc). My mom was dx and died aged 55. So I never made it to the 40 yr old recommendation for mammos, and also not to the "5 yrs before age my mum was dx").

Also, at my chemo center (which treats primarily BC patients) I would say that 70% of patients are in their 30s-40s (and a smaller % are in their 20s)

• NannaBaby
    NannaBaby Member Posts: 23
    edited August 2010

Had ultrasound at 26 because of breast lumpiness, and was told I had fibrocystic breast tissue.

I felt a small suspicious lump when I was 28 in September 09. 

January 09, I was refussed a mommogram and had ultrasound instead, because lump doubled and was hard. Doc. thought it was hormone changes and told me not to worry.

April 09, saw hormnal doc. everything normal hormonally. Finally got a referral to breast surgeon.

May 09 dx'd with locally advanced breast cancer at age 28.

• stlcardsfan
    stlcardsfan Member Posts: 227
    edited August 2010

Little tidbit for all. On tonights CBS evening new with Katie Couric. They mentioned that girls are going thru puberty earlier and earlier. Some starting as early as age 7. A medical person was also on - Jennifer Atkinson - she mentioned some of the risks with this early puberty. One of them was early cases of Breast Cancer. Very interesting. I have noticed a lot of young women on this thread. Just wanted to past on what I heard on the news this evening.

• IsThisForReal
    IsThisForReal Member Posts: 154
    edited August 2010

• VJSL8
    VJSL8 Member Posts: 486
    edited September 2010

32: Stage 2 IDC (1987--boy have things changed since then?)

55:  reoccurance, IDC

• BC1999
    BC1999 Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2010

1999 - Stage I at 33 ER+/PR+ Her2+++ by IHC

2006 - Stage IIIc at 40 while pregnant ER+/PR+ Her2+++ by IHC Her2- by FISH

2010 - Stage IV at 44 mets to bones  ER+/PR- Her2- by FISH

• justjudie
    justjudie Member Posts: 196
    edited September 2010

I was 52 when initially diagnosed.   After almost a year of treatment, chemo & rads, had 9 years of good health.  Then got the Mets diagnosis when I was 61. Mets to scalp, Bones & Liver.   I too hate seeing all the young women who are dealing with this disease.  It is so wrong.  

Judie 

• DMS
    DMS Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2010

Diagnosed 3 months ago at age 60.  Doing rads now.  Shocking how many young women are posting to this board.  My heart goes out to all my sisters.

• Lena
    Lena Member Posts: 132
    edited September 2010

47 with Stage IV IBC. :-(

• Linnette1217
    Linnette1217 Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2010

42, Stage IV at initial diagnoses. Mets to orbit of my eye and ovaries.  Currently NED.

• mamanmidwife
    mamanmidwife Member Posts: 15
    edited September 2010

45 yo stage IV from the get go with a normal mammo 1/2009 and the years before. I don't want my daughter's to get mammos -  i'm telling them MRI anjd sonos. told my sisters the same thing

• blondiex46
    blondiex46 Member Posts: 2,726
    edited September 2010

first time 42, this time 56...

• gaby69
    gaby69 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2010

• ReneeW54
    ReneeW54 Member Posts: 9
    edited September 2010

• agada
    agada Member Posts: 26
    edited September 2010

• cc4npg
    cc4npg Member Posts: 438
    edited September 2010

Dx 9/3/10, age 43.  No stage yet, still waiting surgery. Probably Her2, waiting on FISH. Caught on mammo w/4 microcals very early.  Someone was definitely on the ball.

Is there ANYONE who doesn't have a recurrance???????  This is scary.  And yes, the current guidlines starting at 40 is ridiculous, not to mention those of us with dense breasts are difficult to diagnosis.

If God gives me a chance, I'd like to get a bunch of us together to change this guideline.  Anyone else thought of this?  It's killing our youth...

• Unknown
    edited September 2010

Dx 5-19-2010; age 46.

now 47

• Flieder
    Flieder Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2010

31 first DX

32 Stage IV

• collie-flower
    collie-flower Member Posts: 148
    edited September 2010

Aged 49 when diagnosed on 18 February 2009

• raeinnz
    raeinnz Member Posts: 553
    edited September 2010

52 and fighting fit - just as well - I have needed every bit of strength I had over the last 20 months.

• X3sMom
    X3sMom Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2010

I just read Kendra's post again.

Her onc and I decided to have the BRCA tests done, her last week in the hospital. We thought we needed to know for her daughter's sake. I wish she could have been here to tell Kalah that she did not have the mutation. She would have been so happy. Kalah will still have to get mammos at 25 yrs. old but if her mom had been positive her chances of getting breast cancer would be 6 times greater. I come here every now and then hoping to see the ages go up but still there are too many young women with small children getting this horrible disease. Praying for a cure!

• khartoregon
    khartoregon Member Posts: 12
    edited September 2010

43 with Stage IV right out of the gate.  It was my first mammogram.

• Robin-Kaye
    Robin-Kaye Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2013

34 at original dx, and 39 when dx Stage IV. I have a 21 year old daughter and she was told to start getting mammograms 5 years prior to my original dx. Praying she does. Hoping I'm here to remind her :)

• vegasbaby
    vegasbaby Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2010

• Honeybear
    Honeybear Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2010

27  Stage I IDC right breast

31  Stage I IDC left breast and DCIS right breast

32  Stage IV IDC mets to bones 

• karenmarie1
    karenmarie1 Member Posts: 29
    edited September 2010

Age 41 first dx - Stage 2B

Age 46 chemo-induced congestive heart failure - pacemaker/defibulator inplanted

Age 50 recurrence

Surprised

• MiracleMileM
    MiracleMileM Member Posts: 15
    edited September 2010

I was stage IV when first diagnosed two months before my 68th birthday.  But xurrently NED almost three years later.

• janicemarie3
    janicemarie3 Member Posts: 20
    edited September 2010

32    Stage IV original diagnosis.  Was diagnosed in January 2010