Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Poll - How old were you when dx with BC

Options

Comments

• swest
    swest Member Posts: 140
    edited February 2009
    Options

• rsben70
    rsben70 Member Posts: 12
    edited February 2009
    Options

it is never too soon to do self exams and if you are really worried expecially with your family history  if your daughter is to young for a mammo a good gyn may order a breast ultrasound.

• sdavis
    sdavis Member Posts: 11
    edited February 2009
    Options

35 first dx

39 loc reoccurance

• sunshine787990
    sunshine787990 Member Posts: 101
    edited February 2009
    Options

Faithfully had mammos every year since 40!

• 2hands4me
    2hands4me Member Posts: 39
    edited February 2009
    Options

• MJLToday
    MJLToday Member Posts: 42
    edited February 2009
    Options

34 first dx, 45 mets dx.

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310
    edited February 2009
    Options

I do think that this survey's results are skewed by the "youthful" population that seems to hang out on this board.

• koshka1
    koshka1 Member Posts: 93
    edited February 2009
    Options

I was 38....

Wasn't due for a mammo...we start in BC, Canada at 40.

I went cause a couple of my clients got diagnosed.  They weren't even gonna let me have 1 but I asked 4x so they were sick of me.....

Lo and behold 2 tiny tumors...1 mm and 4mm and dcis...go figure!!!!

Hugs and be strong!

Kosh

• ligage
    ligage Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2009
    Options

37 in 2001 and then again in 2006, 2007 found out I was BRCA 1+ - had ovaries removed and mets to lung, bone and brain in 2008.  I agree about the mamograms 40 is too late.  Stay strong.

• Brendatrue
    Brendatrue Member Posts: 487
    edited February 2009
    Options

First time: 38yo (Stage 1); second time: 49yo (Stage 1); third time(2+ weeks ago): 52yo (recurrence to sternum, still in process of staging).

First time: normal mammogram, discovered small dimple within 6 or so months, and insisted on another mammogram, which found the ca. Second time: normal mammogram, discovered small dimple within 6 months, insisted on MRI, which found the ca. Third time: PET scan about 10 mos ago, NED; bone scan 5 mos ago NED; discovered tiny hard nodule with skin change on sternum, biopsied within 1 week, diagnosed with recurrence, with evidence of disease in the lymphatic spaces.

I thank myself for being so observant and assertive, and I try not to question past treatment decisions.

• Member_of_the_Club
    Member_of_the_Club Member Posts: 263
    edited February 2009
    Options

I am curious about the women who had lumps for years because that is my story as well.  At 29 I found a lump and was seen by a breast surgeon who did a manual exam and said it was nothing.  At age 41 it felt different -- larger and achey -- and I'm convinced it was cancer at that point but nothing showed on a mammogram or an u/s and I was told again that it was nothing.  I wonder if the history I had made them take it less seriously (Oh it was checked out 12 years ago, its obviously nothing).  One year later, big stinking IDC.  I wonder if I had some kind of precancerous something all those years and if a biopsy would have headed off the actual cancer.  I don't think I'll ever know.

• kimmytoo
    kimmytoo Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2009
    Options

• getwell
    getwell Member Posts: 10
    edited February 2009
    Options

54   Stage IIIC

56   Stage IV BONES

phoooey111

• AccidentalTourist
    AccidentalTourist Member Posts: 72
    edited February 2009
    Options

I was 47 and was told it was nothing by GP and bc surgeon.  It was just a dimple (no lump) but I insisted it was something that was not there before and thankfully they listened and sent me for a mamogram.  I now worry about recurrence as I would like to live long enough for my son to grow up into an adult.  It gives me comfort to read that with mets one can live for a very long time. 

• pee
    pee Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2009
    Options

53 first time...60 dxed. with mets

I think the no.of young women here is appalling.  I do not think that this board is skewed towards younger women...I just think that their stats are so outdated and for some reason they are not updating them.  No conspiracy theory here...just don't think they have their stats right at all.  Information put out there needs to start to be geared to younger women now! 

• carolsd
    carolsd Member Posts: 17
    edited February 2009
    Options

I was 41

• Stefanie
    Stefanie Member Posts: 10
    edited February 2009
    Options
    37 original BC, mets 4 years later...diagnosed last OctoberFrown
  • mthomp2020
    mthomp2020 Member Posts: 12
    edited February 2009
    Options

54, with mets to bone and liver.  Liver currently NED, bone mets healed.

• Reneepals
    Reneepals Member Posts: 64
    edited February 2009
    Options

I was 39 ....I had been out of work for 4 months because of sciatica. My hubby had found the lump and the rest is history. It was a rare type of cancer for my age, Mucinous Colloid, stage 2, unaggressive. I was recently dx'd in Oct with Mets to Rib and Liver, after being told I was cured. I am choosing to look a this like a chronic disease.

• Times3
    Times3 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2009
    Options

~~bump ~~

• cathy50
    cathy50 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2009
    Options

Age 39 - Cervical Cancer
    Age- 49- Breast cancer Stage 3

Age-50- Mets to liver stage IV

• hope_faith_love_2008
    hope_faith_love_2008 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2009
    Options

27, a day before valentines day, 2/13/2008, no mammo ever, found a lump, it was benign, they found cancer while looking at the lump.

• 1234Manu5
    1234Manu5 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2009
    Options

I was 29 first dx

• CarynRose
    CarynRose Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2009
    Options

I awas 42 at first dx.  Recurrence at 47. 

• bmdaley
    bmdaley Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2009
    Options

36 years old with one-year old twins at first dx.

41 when dx stage IV.

• turtle42
    turtle42 Member Posts: 31
    edited February 2009
    Options

I was 40 at the time. Had 2 previous mammos that showed nothing. Felt a lump and had a biopsy that came back benign. Two months later got a call from the center that did the biopsy saying that I needed to come back because they may have missed the lump. The doctor couldn't feel the lump, I had to put his finger on it. Did an ultrasound biopsy and he was saying that we would have a good laugh about it later when it came back benign as he was so sure it would. Needless to say we never had that laugh.

• Maya1
    Maya1 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2009
    Options

age 47   dx with liver mets from beginning

BTW:   Haven't gotten the results from my BRCA1 2 yet, but my medical geneticist believes because of the high number and the same type of bc that there is a genetic factor to my cancer.  She has given me a letter for my nieces, nephews, cousins children of that generation to get a mammo or MRI mammo if available at age 35 (and prostrate for the males).  There probably is a BRCA 3 or 4 or 5 out there that is responsible for the bc in my family even if I'm not positive for BRCA 1 or 2. 

Bernice

• KLee
    KLee Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2009
    Options

First dx : 34 (stage 2)

Second dx : 41 (stage 4)

• chemo_girl_warrior
    chemo_girl_warrior Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2009
    Options

41; diagnosed Stage 0 DCIS, ultimately Stage 1 (3mm microinvasive); caught on first mammogram.

• tkone
    tkone Member Posts: 19
    edited February 2009
    Options

43 Stage II