Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Poll - How old were you when dx with BC

Options

Comments

• Judiiiii
    Judiiiii Member Posts: 15
    edited March 2009
    Options

age 51 = initial diagnosis was mets to liver, lungs, and bones

age now = 59

So, nearly 8 years of mets.  You name it, I've been on it!  Doing well according to blood work.  Refusing scans for two years.  Tumor markers always very accurate in predicting progression.  I've been blessed.  Worked for 6 years of mets.  Was very active.  Had fun.  Now, not so much.

Take care....   Judi 

• DV8Q
    DV8Q Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2009
    Options

30yrs old DX

25 had ultrasound for breast lump ...was inconclusive and they decided I didnt need futher testing because I was young Yell 

• marshakb
    marshakb Member Posts: 796
    edited March 2009
    Options

I was 45 at original dx.  Mets at 47.  Both times in Dec just a few days before Christmas!

• Misswelty
    Misswelty Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2009
    Options

I was 35.

• Maeve
    Maeve Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2009
    Options

Just turned 29 when dx

• SQK
    SQK Member Posts: 23
    edited March 2009
    Options

I was 47 when I got my first dx.  Tamoxifen didn't work for me.  At age 49, I was dx'ed with a new primary on the other side, and also a microscopic recurrence on the original breast.  Now after bilat mast, chemo, and more rads...I'm hoping Femara does a better job than the Tamox.

• havehope
    havehope Member Posts: 77
    edited March 2009
    Options

I was 44 -dx oct 08. No history of BC.

My MIL 69 dx march 09.

• dutchgirl1
    dutchgirl1 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2009
    Options

Turned 60 in Jan, 2003 found out in may had lobular breast cancer stage 2 .have 2 daugthers i hope they are save ?don`t wish this on no one Sister turned 60 has bc to, stage 0 thank god.I am chocked that everone is so young. I am 66 now hope this is it.Have  agirlfriend   who is stage 4 and fighting for her live.

• litig8or
    litig8or Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2009
    Options

38, but a month and 3 days later turned 39

Dx this month (March) with Stage IV mets to Liver at 40, I'll be 41 in May.

• Danie
    Danie Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2009
    Options

Original dx at 45 with stage2 DCIS

Had mammograms every yr since 40 yrs old, but cancer never shown.  I found it myself.

46 yrs old dx with stage 4 - bone mets to rib, which was 6 mos after orig. dx

Comfort hugs,

Danie

• tania73
    tania73 Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2009
    Options

dx bc 32 recurrence 35 mets lung bones her+ brac2+

• Deborah1965
    Deborah1965 Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2009
    Options

43, IDC Stage I or II, surgery scheduled for 4-27-09.

• 2frogs1princess
    2frogs1princess Member Posts: 36
    edited April 2009
    Options

30, stage IIb IDC

• EGAL
    EGAL Member Posts: 19
    edited April 2009
    Options

51 - IDC w/node involvement & 52 with mets to brain

• Jo_Ann_K
    Jo_Ann_K Member Posts: 26
    edited April 2009
    Options

53 with dx of DCIS

Mother dx at 55 with IBC w/1+ lymph node. Died 7 years later within 3 weeks of known recurrence.

Maternal grandmother and all her sisters (5?) had female-hormone related cancers.

BRCA tests negative, although genetics counselor states it is likely a genetic thing, but they haven't discovered it yet. She puts my daughters (ages 24 and 28) at 22% risk.  My oncologist suggests they have baseline breast MRIs at 30 and their first mammogram at 35.

For what it's worth, my daughters thanked me for getting the BRCA test.

• Wink333
    Wink333 Member Posts: 20
    edited April 2009
    Options

dx at 50 - one month b4 51st birthday, but small place had  been there 16 months earlier. Mammo was clear so didn't worry. Should have.  So should have been dx when 48 going on 49.

wink

• candie1971
    candie1971 Member Posts: 2,467
    edited April 2009
    Options

• renee78
    renee78 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2009
    Options

26, then recurrence with mets at 29

• Reni
    Reni Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2009
    Options

• BornInWA
    BornInWA Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2009
    Options

43 at first DX, Stage IIB Triple negative. 

45 DX mets to the mediastinum (2.0 mass and several lymph nodes).

I found my original lump doing a self exam.  It was just to the inside of my nipple on my left breast and was a visible as well as palpable bump.  Had a mamo and ultrasound (both showed nothing because I have dense breasts).  I think mamograms are good but shouldn't be the only screening tool for everyone.  In my case the mamo was pretty useless.  I'm BRCA negative with no family history of breast cancer.  My father died of brain cancer at age 62.

I think my lifestyle and diet may have contributed to things and I'm trying to eat better and excercise in order to fight this.  I have three kids who need me.  Two teenaged daughters at home and one married son and brand new grandson!   I don't think an MRI is unreasonable as a screening tool if you have dense breasts.  My oncologist suggested my girls start getting screened at 25.

• Strongerwomen
    Strongerwomen Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2009
    Options

Hi - I am Caryn and I am 54 years "Young"  Don't look bad for an older gal!  Just was diagnosed ten weeks ago.  At first it was shattering then after every doctor visit another "thing" was thrown in so it has been rough, exhausting overwhelming and more.  Trying to look at the positives - thank God they say we have the TCH combo so I am hoping.... Write back - It struck my mom at 36 and then again at 42 - she is now 84 yessterday and doing fabulous after three different battles.  She did her treatment many years ago - at least today they are more sophisticated

whats your take?  I too have fifteen year old daughter and am Braca negative but Her2 positivie 3+ they just did another FISH blood test for comparisons.  Ugh - but we are wome so we can survive thats why we have the babies etc.  LOL

• deb5
    deb5 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2009
    Options

A month after I turned 50. I took the genetic test and I don't have the cancer genes. The Dr did mammogram on my oldest daughter she is 30 to get a baseline on her. The other daughter will have one after she gets finished breastfeeding. All just precaution.

• Heidi_Ho
    Heidi_Ho Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2009
    Options

43 dx with mets stage 4

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited April 2009
    Options

DX age 62.  Mom dx 1962, had radical bi lat mast.  no "stage, grade, etc" known, no rads, no chemo.  She was 96 years old on April 25 (last Saturday).   

• Alyad
    Alyad Member Posts: 174
    edited May 2009
    Options

dx age 35, grandma had bilateral BC in her 70's, second and third cousins had it at age 47,50 respectively- don't know if I have the gene, insurance won't pay for testing.

• virginiamom
    virginiamom Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2009
    Options

I was 39 and was diagnosed Stage IV from the beginning.  I had no idea.

• kims
    kims Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2009
    Options

32 Stage 2

40 Stage 4, bone mets

42 possible liver mets

BUT still fighting and not giving up!!

• pee
    pee Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2009
    Options

I was 53 (I think it was there when I was 45...they saw something, brought me back and could not find it again) stage lll.  Then at 60, 8 years almost to the day stage IV to bones, small lesion on lung and nodes behind sternum.  Way, way to young you ladies...I'm too young too!

• Momtokate-chase
    Momtokate-chase Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2009
    Options

13 days after my 40th birthday --- stage IV (hip, sternum, liver, 2 places on spine)

• redwoman
    redwoman Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2009
    Options

39 initial dx

42 stage 4 recurrence