Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2009

Linda, we're thinking of you! It will be good. It will be worth it! 

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited November 2009

SPRING - Is it that soon? Okay, I have 3 weeks to get pregnant then and halt the davinci!!!! NOT... but the thought crosses my mind, like... every day!!!! And since I am currently ovulating... hmmm... oh, okay, I will stop dreaming that I am even a couple years younger and that that would be a smart thing... LOL... but it is tempting! I will SO be thinking of you on the 1rst and hope all goes exactly as you want it to!!!

Linda - Sweet dreams and you will be just great!!!! 

• Jill_45
    Jill_45 Member Posts: 8
    edited November 2009

Thank you Springtime for pointing this thread out to me.

I am having a diep on December 1st. I have been mostly on the July 2008 chemo thread. Most of them have completed all thier treatments and reconstructions but because I was severly burnt during radiation I have had to wait until now. I live in British Columbia,Canada and am having my surgery done here in Victoria.

Jill.

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited November 2009

Minnesota did a great job of telling you about the fun we had in NOLA last week.  I'd had a couple of very minor issues that I'd tried to put out of my mind since my revisions in June, but found myself desiring a bit of tweaking nonetheless.   A couple of tiny dog ears, a couple of scars that intially healed well and then stretched were bugging me, and the nipple revisions had mostly flattened out again.  They were still more visible than before, but the palpability was lost gradually after the June surgery.  

At my consult last Monday, I learned that my first surgeon apparently destroyed the inframmary fold under my right breast.  Dr. D has lifted or tucked that breast up several times and it hasn't stayed put previously, but appears level with left breast for now.  He said it's so critical that the folds are not damaged by the surgeon because they are very difficult to repair, just as symmastia is.   (Pam, congrats on the success you are enjoying!  Dr. D told me a couple of years ago that it's a difficult fix, when I asked him if he could repair my cousin's symmastia.)   Dr. D said he would completely reconstruct the nips and I remembered reading on his board that redos utilize scar tissue and tend to hold up better. 

After previously being told that the doctors' surgery schedules were completely full until January 7th, Celeste checked and actually found a slot for me last Thursday.  This was great because it saved us another trip (not that I'm not dying to spend as much time in NOLA as I can) and I didn't have to spend weeks/months waiting for the revisions.  Celeste shared some photos of her girls and they are sooooo cute!!!!   

Regrettably, I didn't get to see Liz.  She returned from vacation a few days after we arrived in NOLA, and I was hoping to see her when checking out of the hospital, before leaving for the airport.  Unfortunately, the nurses were all in a staff meeting and I wasn't able to wait long enough.  I'll be going back soon though, because my tattoos now need to be re-done.

The night prior to my surgery, my husband and I had dinner with a woman who is having her stage I very soon and was feeling anxious about it.  After dinner, we walked over to the hospital and checked on a woman Eve and I had dinner with earlier in the week, and she was just one day post-op, but doing really well and looking great.   Seeing her doing so well really helped the other woman and she expressed her gratitude by bringing ice cream into the hospital to both of us after my surgery the next day, complete with lots of chopped nuts, and chocolate sauce to pour on top! 

Minnesota and I have dubbed the Natchez steamboat the "Show Boat" for reasons I'm sure you'll figure out. 

I'm beat---went back to work today after a long weekend that included company from out-of-state and my brother's wedding yesterday.  If I think of other stuff I wrote last night and lost, I'll be back to try to re-write it.  Glad you're all doing so well!

Sandy

• melaniew1
    melaniew1 Member Posts: 209
    edited November 2009

(((((((((((((((((((((((((LINDA))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

You will do just GREAT!!!

• Springtime
    edited November 2009

Welcome Jill, I added you above. Good to have a Canadian amongst us!

Sandy, do you think the fix will stay "palpable" this time?

Pam, hope you are doing well girl!

Linda, you're next! AnneW, you're right behind her! 

• anniese
    anniese Member Posts: 69
    edited November 2009

Linda - we'll be thinking of you. Dr. Massey is wonderful and I'm sure you will be very happy.  Let us know how things go!

Anne - CANNOT beleive you are next MONDAY!  Where has the time gone?  Did you get all your tests redone like you were supposed to?  When do you leave?

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited November 2009

All my pre-op was done, and Dr. Massey has cleared me. I leave Saturday for Myrtle Beach to visit my Dad, then on to Charleston. It's been 6 months since Stage 1, and I am MORE than ready. Excited, in fact, when I give myself time to think about it.

Except for packing. That always stresses me.

Anne

• Nordy
    edited November 2009

Pam - Hope you are up and around and feeling well!!!

Linda - You are on deck... hopefully you are in NO by now - it is down to the wire!!! You will be great!

AnneW - I am so looking forward to hearing how things go at your stage 2! Wow! I can't believe how time flies!

Spring - have you noticed that the posts on this thread are in the THOUSANDS?! Nice work!

• Springtime
    edited November 2009

Nordy, love the pic!

We seem to get lots of "views" on this thread. Maybe other ladies are learning about DIEPs and GAP/lumbar flap recon options. That would be a good thing. :)

• Nordy
    edited November 2009
    Spring - That would be a good thing since opinions vary widely on this site... and really who is best to hear about it from but those who have gone before?! Are you excited or nervous for your stage 2? I know I have said it before, but will say it again - I am SO sad I am going to miss you in NOLA!!!
  • anniese
    edited November 2009

Hmmmm, packing stress!  I think I've just developed a new phobia!  Anne - hope you get packed without stressing too much.

Pam - hope you are doing well.  Can't wait to hear from you again.

Spring - it's so great that this thread is getting so much attention.  It would have been so helpful when I first started my research to have stumbled across this type of thing.

Nordy - LOVE the pic of your girls!  Still no sickness symptoms over here, so I must have been far enough across the table from you!  Hope you are feeling better!

• Nordy
    edited November 2009

Anniese - SO glad that you have not gotten sick!!! I feel MUCH better today - almost like I had never been ill, so at least it was a fast moving virus! You are getting close for your stage 2 as well.... sniff, I hate missing the party! 

• anniese
    edited November 2009

Sniff, sniff - I hate that you are missing it, too - was hoping to catch up again in NOLA.  Wish things had worked out differently and that you could have had both procedures at the same time down there!

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited November 2009

I just read on the YSC board that there is another gal who is having surgery on the 8th of December!  I am going to PM her this thread.  Woohooo!  We should have lots of fun in December!  I can't wait to see what the Quarter looks like all decked out for the holidays.  I'll bet it is going to be goreous.

Linda you are going to do fabulously!

And Anne...stage 2 is a cake walk compared to stage 1.  You are going to sail through with flying colors.

So...after being in NOLA and falling in love with the City, have any of you considered moving down there?  Hubby and I have seriously talked about it.  My son graduates this year and then we are footloose and fancy free...before I am 40!  Wooohooo!!!  The joys of being a young parent!!!  We can go and do whatever we want!  Hubby works for the water department here, so I know there is work for him and my business goes wherever I go!  

I have a dream of having a house with rooms for ladies who are going to NOLA for surgery.  I found the perfect one...but it was 5 million dollars!  I'm not quite there financially....yet.  I am not sure if I could do hurricane season.  

• anniese
    edited November 2009

Trishia - I never even thought about the holiday decorations that will be up when I go to NOLA for my Stage 2.  Wow, I'll bet that will be really pretty!  What a happy thought.  I'm also REALLY glad to hear you say that Stage 2 is a cake walk compared to Stage 1 - I am having such anxiety about going back into surgery and having a long recouperation again!  Can't say that I've ever wanted to move to New Orleans, but I sure do like to visit!  When the time gets closer we need to work out how to meet!

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited November 2009

I was much more nervous going into stage 2 than I was stage 1.  I was absolutely terrified of the lipo!  Yes, I was sore and had bruising, but it was so much easier than I had anticipated!  And drinking a ton of water and walking as much as you can helps so much!  You will do great.

• Snowbird
    Snowbird Member Posts: 26
    edited November 2009

Hi, ladies...  Can I join in? I'm scheduled for bi-lateral DIEP (one delayed, one PMX+immediate) on December 8 in Charleston with Drs. Baron/Craigie & Kline. I was originally going to go with Drs. Massey & Craigie, but "insurance issues" got in the way. I'm getting excited!!! Thanks to all who've shared their experiences. It's so very encouraging!

• anniese
    edited November 2009

Hi Snowbird - and welcome.  I'm sure Spring (and others) will be along here soon to welcome you also and to get your stats listed above.  You're surgery date is the same as mine!

• anniese
    edited November 2009

Trishia - as strange as it sounds, I think I am more worred about the lipo than I was about the entire flap surgery in Stage 1.  Can't help but wonder if that is due to some of the stuff I've seen on TV......I hope I will be able to say that my Stage 2 was 'so much easier than I anticipated' after I'm done!

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited November 2009

Had to chime in here~ NOLA is lovely with all of her finery on. Down the street car line they have garland and bows...the Ritz does it up as does Fulton St down by Harrahs. I'll post a photo I took last December for y'all...

Marcia

• poolgirl
    poolgirl Member Posts: 46
    edited November 2009

Guys, what did you say is the best thing to do for hard spots in the breast after surgery?

• Nordy
    edited November 2009

((((Marcia)))))!!!

Lydia -  I know it varies by PS, and I know Dr. D posted about it recently on ask the dr. - I think he just kind of said to leave them. I did read a PS journal paper that said massaging them helps as did my PS here. It made sense as it will increase the blood flow into the area and help take up the necrotic tissue as it breaks down. I wouldn't be unkind in your massage though! Gentle!!! I have been massaging both of mine - I have a large area in the left and small area in the right. They are both getting smaller. My ps here ordered an US on the right just because it is so close to the area where my original cancer was, but it really has gotten smaller, so I am hoping that is a good sign (will have the US tomorrow). 

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited November 2009

Airfair is booked, staying at hope lodge unless insurance picks up more of the bill and NOW I am nervous.....geez I am a sissy.

Question for you gals did anyone here use their port for surgery ??

• LindaG47
    LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
    edited November 2009

Thanks everyone!!!!  I am here is Charleston and Anne, I'm holding down the fort until you get here.  Some rain tonight but not to bad.  I have my MRA in the am, an appointment Dr. Grice that will do my PMX and at 5:00 with Dr. M.  I am nervous as H_ _ _ !  My DH flew with me today and DH arrives tomorrow.  Blast off is Thurs. arriving at the hospital at 6am.  Has anyone heard from Pam?   Pam how are you???

Snowbird, I'm warming up your hospital bed for you. LOL! 

Stay tuned.  Linda

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited November 2009

Trishia,

My husband and I also fell in love with New Orleans and dream of retiring there part of the year and selling our paintings in Jackson Square! We LOVE The Quarter, but have also done lots of exploring beyond that and on the North Shore. I was amazed that the lovely old architecture goes on for miles and miles and miles! And so much to do there - all the culture, all the universities - and that fabulous music all over the place! Maybe some of us could go in together and purchase a grand old place in the Quarter or the Garden District and provide some space for gals to stay while there for their surgery. I know of at least one other woman here who has the same exact idea! Sandy? Sandy? Where are you, Sandy?

Eve 

• SandyinSoCal
    edited November 2009

Right here!  I have a list of 27 condos for sale, one just across the street from the Center---it was actually my husband's idea to provide low-cost condo housing for Center patients, (he always has very practical ideas) but I'm not sure that is what we'll end up doing.   We worked with a real estate agent last week and looked in River Ridge.  After exploring there, she believes we'd be happier on the North Shore.  We want lots of land and being on a hill would be nice too, like we are at home.   At the end of the day, we keep going back to how pleasant the weather is in L.A. year-round and wonder if we could tolerate a summer in NOLA. 

• SandyinSoCal
    edited November 2009

Hi Spring, I am hopeful!  They are looking good so far....

• Snowbird
    Snowbird Member Posts: 26
    edited November 2009

anniese, thanks! It's been quite a journey picking a surgical team since there are several good options, but ultimately insurance coverage and the calendar helped me decide. Are you getting anxious and excited too? 

LindaG47, I'm sooo glad to hear you've arrived and are on your way! Wahoo!!! I talked to Christina today (about pre-op stuff) and told her to tell you hello, just in case you needed something else to look forward to on Thursday! (LOL2!!!)...  GO  girl... 

We've come a long way since wanting our two front teeth for Christmas, eh???

• melaniew1
    melaniew1 Member Posts: 209
    edited November 2009

(((((((((((((((((((((((LINDA)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))GOOD LUCK!

Welcome SNOWBIRD!