Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Warrior517
    Warrior517 Member Posts: 240
    edited November 2009

Linda is nervous..lol She said her DH flew in w/her and her DH arrives tomorrow. Trust me, she only has one husband..lol  Her daughter is with her!  I saved your reputation from lookin like a floozy..lmaoooo

• poolgirl
    poolgirl Member Posts: 46
    edited November 2009

Thanks Nordy!

I did not have any spots before but I think I am getting one now.  You ladies have a blessed Day!

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited November 2009

Hi Ladies,

Sorry I have not been on for so long...Since- Well I dont recall what day it was.

I have lots of pm & emails to catch up on.  I am also hoping reading on line like I normally do each morning...Will get me going!  So far nothing.  I t has been 7 days!  Ive tried supostitories & nothing, Prune Juice & Stool softeners.

Surgery went good.  Im in more pain then I expected.  Havent slept for the last 3 nights.  We got to the hotel 1 day later then planned (which was fine)  dr M came in on Monday am & asked us to stay another day- Sincw we srill did not know what Ida was going to do..

I need to try to shower today But the shower head is  a piece of crap in theis room.  Either dribbles & Or is very hard-dh could hardly shower.

While I have 2 boobs. It is not what I expected.  I need to be patient. As I have quiting stitches in between them.  Like a Button in a Pillow look -3 of them.  I had not seen them from the front when I 1st posted. I still have not had a good look.  Didnt get to look when all the stuff was pulled yesterday before I checked out.

Ill check back in soon...( I still have 3 pages of posts to read here)  well going to read some pm & see if that will get things going. Surprised

Pam

Good Luck tomorrow Linda!  Snowbird- glad you have your surgeons & Date!

• melaniew1
    melaniew1 Member Posts: 209
    edited November 2009
    WELCOME BACK DEJABOO!  IT GETS BETTER................I PROMISE!!!!
  • Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited November 2009

Thanks Mel...I tell myself everyday that it will get better- thanks to all of you I know it does.

Pam

• wahine
    wahine Member Posts: 7,590
    edited November 2009

Hi Pam! Glad to hear you made it through the surgery and are recovering, albeit slowly. Day by day....a little at a time! Thinking of you and hoping for much better days ahead, and also hope those stool softeners work....I remember being clogged up also, after surgery....was a real PIA!!! Nice to see you posting again!!!

Gentle, gentle, gentle hugs,

Kathy

• iamc
    iamc Member Posts: 87
    edited November 2009

Hi Pam!!

Each day gets better, you can count on that! Hoping things 'move' right along for you soon! ;)

Carolynn

• melaniew1
    edited November 2009

Keep your sights on the 4 week mark, that is when the magic literally happens.  I felt terrible, fatigued, sore, stiff, etc. until literally the 4 week anniversary of my surgery date.  Then there was no stopping me........Golfed at 5 weeks, Yoga at 5 weeks and fully back to the gym doing daily cycle classes at 6 weeks.  I am at FULL speed now and counting the days until stage 2 and believe me when I was where you are I could not even THINK about stage 2 and fully consider NEVER doing it.  NOW I CAN NOT WAIT till stage 2, in fact I am 36 days away as of right now!  YIPPEE for you Pam!  You will feel even better once you get back to your home, I think that was one of the hardest parts too! Then you just have to wait for the 4 week mark.  Also, I could not sleep when I left St Charles either.  Those few nights at the lodge were pretty depressing for me.  I felt better just getting back on the road to my home. 

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((THIS WILL ALL BE OVER VERY SOON!))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

• anniese
    anniese Member Posts: 69
    edited November 2009

PAM!!! Welcome back - we've missed you.  I know how hard things are right now, but it WILL get better and you WILL be happy!  I had a horrible time for the first two weeks - wondering 'what have I done' and 'why did I do this' - but once achiness and stiffness start easing things get better really fast.  In may case, I don't think I was mentally prepared beforehand for what the surgical sites would look like (Dr. M said that people prepare really well for the surgery, but not for the recuperation).  Like Melanie said - the 4 week mark is a turning point.  Good luck with the 'going' - it took me about 4 days to get things moving and then not back to normal for about 10 days.

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited November 2009

Welcome to the gang,Snowbird!

I had bilateral (delayed) stacked DIEP with Dr S at the Center for Restorative Breast Surgery in New Orleans in 2007.

If you are ever up this way (Bradenton) give me shout and perhaps we can get together!

Marcia

• Soccermom4force
    edited November 2009

Welcome to the gang,Snowbird!

I had bilateral (delayed) stacked DIEP with Dr S at the Center for Restorative Breast Surgery in New Orleans in 2007.

If you are ever up this way (Bradenton) give me shout and perhaps we can get together!

Dejaboo...it will get better..promise...just take it one day at a time and relax into the recuperation. I think sometimes we get anxious again when we wake up from surgery and want to be all done in an unrealistic timeframe (I did!) watch tv ,walk eat lots of protein and rest...that my RX for you!

Iamc...didnt you just have a birthday??!! I posted a happr birthday wish to you somewhere!

Marcia

(((((((((NORDY))))))))))!!!

• Warrior517
    Warrior517 Member Posts: 240
    edited November 2009

Pam! I just want you to know we are all here for you. Like Mel said, that 4 week mark is significant....each DAY is!!  Take your pain meds..stay on top of it so you don't have to wait for them to kick in. Lots and lots of water...and soon, believe it or not, you will be walking around the block! xoxox Give my love to Dr.M!

• iamc
    iamc Member Posts: 87
    edited November 2009

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

NOLA just let me pull my left hip drain! I have ONE left  :)

From 6 drains...to 1, in six weeks. (oops, sorry Nordy!)

They are going to call me Friday, and may have me pull the last one then!

I had to come here and tell you guys first. No one else would understand walking around with these drains for so long!

(and praying I have no fluid buildup)

Carolynn

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited November 2009

Pam I am sorry to hear that you are still in pain.  I hope the one issue resolves have you tried metamucil ??

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited November 2009

Pam, I hope you feel better soon!  Each day does make a difference. 

Carolynn~Woooohooo!!!  congratulations! 

Sandy~your hubby IS practical!  Condos...what a great idea!  And I just wanted to buy a mansion in the Garden District...LOL! 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2009

Pam, hang in there, I was not thrilled with what I saw in the mirror at the hotel either, felt ravaged! That first week or 2 after surgery is just not pretty, no way around it. Believe it, it gets better, you heal. you "de-puff". Ask all your questions at your post surgical visit before you fly home! 

Welcome Snowbird! I am adding your specs for Dec 8 in our listing above....

Warrior, thank you for straightening out the floosie alert for Linda with 2 husbands. LOL!!! You crack me up girl!

Linda, thinking of you!  

Spring. 

• Springtime
    edited November 2009

Oh I was in NOLA last December for my initial surgery, (bilateral mx with "placeholder" implants to get me through Rads) and Canal street was all decked out with Christmas decorations, and on the Saturday, there was a parade! They threw beads and toys and we collected a ton of NOLA beads. :)

Nordy, sorry to miss you tooooooo!!!!!  

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited November 2009

Dejaboo, So glad to hear you're on the other side of surgery! Sorry for your discomforts, tho. I'm trying to visualize your breasts, from your description, but can't quite get my hands around it! LOL! Upholstery buttons? I will join in the gang of voices here to say that everything will start to look better as time passes. The first look is always pretty grisly.

Re: living in New Orleans: I just want a very old, historic place, exposed brick on some of the walls, maybe a loft with lots of light for painting, an extra bedroom for guests, a wrought-iron embellished balcony, and a courtyard with a fountain and trees with little fairy lights in them...

• MargitN
    MargitN Member Posts: 73
    edited November 2009

Hi Pam

It is great to hear from you. Smooth Move Tea works wonders, and is a natural solution you can use without worrying about dependence. My mother in law swore by it. Painkillers wreak havoc with your digestive system. When I had surgery, I considered dynamite a valid option.

Ladies --your support, and advice is wonderful.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited November 2009

(((((PAM))))))) - Do not worry - you will get through this! Too bad there wasn't a Walmart nearby, for some reason that (or Target) always seems to get me moving... TMI - I know, I know...!!!! 

(((((Linda)))) - hope you are doing well at your pre-ops... Wow, get ready, get set...!!!

iamc - jealous... LOL! Hurray for you!!! My left butt is doing great now, but that right one keeps wanting to collect fluid. I keep massaging it out so that I don't have to go back to the PS to have it drained. I wander at stage 2 if they will have to go in a cut out that area maybe a capsule has formed????

I had an US today on my R lump/bump - only because it was so close in proximity to where  my original BC was and, indeed it is fat necrosis! So, the orders were, massage away!!! They said if it is not gone in 6 months they want to follow up. I said, if it is not gone in 4 months, Dr. S will address it at stage 2! Anyway - I reaalllllyyyyyy need to call Katie and have her send me a bunch of business cards from the Center. I gave info to the US tech, who is going to pass it on to her friend's sister who has already undergone 3 surgeries w/implants. I told her, that this is the place to go and she could not believe how fabulous my boobs looked! And she sees a lot of boobs! Seriously, yes, business cards to carry and give away sound like the perfect answer... Calling Katie right now!!! 

Oh - yes, Smooth Move tea - I swear by it...

• Springtime
    edited November 2009

Do you ladies, the Smooth Move fans, use it daily? or just when you need it, like after surgery?

I have some from Whole Foods! Looks like it has senna in it... 

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited November 2009

Can someone tell me what I need to do now ??  I have booked my airfare, arranged lodging and I am waiting for the official word from my insurance company.  Is there anything else that I need to do ??  It seems that doing something keeps me from stressing too much...lol... 

Gonna go look at what to pack thread next...I know I have time but I need to be prepared...

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited November 2009

Jamieh - Now you are in the wait mode... It is hard! I kept feeling like I needed to be doing something too! I kept waiting for the Center to call me with some kind of chore or something that I needed to do... but there was nothing! Hang in there, busy yourself with other things (like packing!) and go from there! A week or two before surgery you have pre-op stuff, but that is really it! I know... it seems so weird not to be actively doing something!

Spring - I use the tea occassionally - mostly just when I need it but every now and then when I know I have not been drinking enough fluids and am kind of getting bound up... I drink it. It tastes pretty good, so no issues there, and even though it loosens things it does not cause diarrhea! (thank goodness!) 

• Soccermom4force
    edited November 2009

I just came across the most amazing room rates for the Marriot in New Orleans and thought I'd share...

• New Orleans Marriott Offers $79 Hotel Room
      Book by: Subject to availability
      Travel between: Through December 30, 2009
      In The Big Easy everything is done with flair, and the holiday season is no exception: festivities begin with the Canal Street Holiday Lighting and don't stop until the "Baby Bacchus" drops from its perch on top of Jax Brewery with a backdrop of fireworks over the Mississippi. Even Santa uses a stage name: Papa Noel. The New Orleans Marriott on Canal Street is joining in the celebration as well, offering nightly rates as low as $79 per night through December 30th.
  • PhyllisCC
    PhyllisCC Member Posts: 18
    edited November 2009

Pam,

I'm thinking of you.  HUGS! - Very, Very gentle. : )

Phyllis

• melaniew1
    edited November 2009

(((((((((((((PLAINJANE)))))))))))))))))

We miss you, hope you get your PC fixed SOON!  :)  Mel

• LindaG47
    LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
    edited November 2009

Thanks Mel.  Heading off to la la land in a few minutes b/c 4:30 am is going to come early.  Thanks for your (((((((hugs))))))).  Good night. Linda

• LindaG47
    LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
    edited November 2009

Warrior you are right sister.......nervous......feel a little better today.  Rained all day though and got totally lost looking for a few appointments.  Yes, my DD flew with me and DH arrived today.... Thanks for saving my reputation, I do appreciate that. LOL  You never know what  a new set of boobs will make you do!!

Snowbird,  you are next on the agenda here......less than 1 month away.  We'll talk later about THINGS! 

Good night....It is almost 9:30  it is going to be a short night.....but I guess I'll get 8 hrs in the hospital....HA!   Linda

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited November 2009
    The other thing that clogs things up are the antibiotics. They screw with the good digestive bugs. I suggest adding Activia yogurt to the list of remedies to get things moving again.

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited November 2009

(((((Pam)))) so sorry for how you are feeling!  As the others say, things should look better soon.  I have to say I am one of the few that is still not happy - due to prior radiation on the right side, I am still not very symmetrical, but I know that when I have stage 2 Dr D will get everything "even-steven" and it will all be worth it.  Hopefully, yours is just a few days for things to settle down, but just remember that the end result, after everything is done, is what is important!!  You are gonna be one hot chick with some bodacious ta-ta's!!

iamc - I am WAY jealous! lol  even though my drains were out from the first of Oct till they put them back in on the 19th, I feel like I have had drains since my original surgery on 9/10! Still getting 25-35 cc per day per stomach drain.  <sigh>  So let us know how it feels, so I can live vicariously thru you! Laughing