Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Momma2four
    Momma2four Member Posts: 133
    edited December 2011

I had sent a text to Adey last night and still haven't heard anything. Now that I am a resident again I will have to keep my ears open. I would go find her but I am bed ridden:(

On a good note, I officially met Dr. S! Very sincere and caring doctor, I just love them all. Oh, and my doppler sounds are good right now...keep the prayers coming girls. Hugs to all of u!

Michelle

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Member Posts: 339
    edited December 2011

Sheesh Michelle, you sure can't catch a break! What a long, hard road. Your sense that something was amiss was absolutely right. Here we were all trying to talk you down! So good you went back. I hope this marks the turnaround and all is good from here on out. You deserve it!!!

• JustLaura
    JustLaura Member Posts: 213
    edited December 2011
    Michelle - You knew! You knew something wasn't right! You are very in tune with your body and knew something was up. Way to go! I'm so glad that you caught it so early. It is a big bummer to have to have two more surgeries - but if they can correct that without a DIEP all the better.  Hang in there!
  • celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited December 2011

Michelle -- No one knows our bodies like we do ourselves and it is really good that you were listening to yours, even if it means a longer stay. Rest well, heal and know many, mnay good thoughts and prayers are heading your way!

• louis13
    louis13 Member Posts: 195
    edited December 2011

Michelle! gosh, why couldnt you be like the rest of us and it was just panic after leaving the center, ... but even with this confirmation that all was not entirely wired the right way, you are sounding more calm and reassured and am sure all will be taken care of..thank goodness this twisted blood vessel presented earlier rather than later and you were onto it~! 

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited December 2011

Darn. Started Arnica today. Less than two hours later, stomach seized and I had to SPRINT to the bathroom. I remember someone on here had stomach trouble with it as well. I am going to try another time or two today in case that wasn't it. But I was hoping for the limited bruising and swelling some of you have had because of it. And I bought a pile of it. Double darn!

• louis13
    edited December 2011

quick marena question...the short leg marena girdle that springtime recommends..does it come up to under breasts...??? about to order...and like most of you in a quandary about sizing..i am 5.7, 152lbs, size 8-10, measurements 32-39-20 atm...it tells me XL but am sure am L - or should i shoot for medium ????????

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited December 2011

RE: Arnica. I was sent the pills by the Center to start taking before surgery, but am sorta alarmed at the reports of intestinal distresses! I have used Arnica for years topically to assist with the bruising and that works like a dream. Did those of you who took the Arnica pills do so on an empty stomach, with food or what? NOW, I'm getting worried ...

• louis13
    edited December 2011

re arnica.. i have guzzled it, no probs, empty stomach whatever...maybe need to remember that like most things, you dont hear about all those who dont have any issues...and that goes for general pop as well, nothing to do with breast reconstruction, many people take arnica orally for swelling/bruising... we are all different..some of us get hives from our doms, some of us get upset tummies, some of us dont...guess you dont really know until you try, so maybe a good rule is to experiment some time out from surgery? realise yours is soon tho...

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited December 2011

louis13:  You're probably a large. I'm your height and closer to 180 and I wear an XL (which seems slightly big on me now). What size Veronique did they put you in? The sizing should be similar.

And yes, it does come up to your bra line. Not sure why it looks so short on the model.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited December 2011

Michelle - I am so sorry to hear about your difficulties with your flap, but SO glad that they were able to go in and fix the twisted vessel! Will be sending positive thoughts and vibes that all heals well from this point forward! And glad you got to meet Dr. Sullivan - I think he is the best!

Re: Arnica - I have also not had any trouble at all with it. No stomach upset or any other side effects. I agree - we are all different and what effects one person may not necessarily effect someone else! 

Need2new - hurray for your decision! You will be great! I am sure other people will come along and will be in New Orleans at the same time as you are! It is still early yet!!!

• louis13
    edited December 2011

jeskachi thanks!, for some reason i am in flex support not veronique- and am in size large

• Del11
    edited December 2011

I've found the compression garment makers tend to run consistent on the size charts, so Large should work for you.

• Nordy
    edited December 2011

OneHardRock- if you are checking in on here - I sent you a PM! I am in your area and would love to chat with you - if you want!

• Nordy
    edited December 2011

Oh, and KBodie - yes, hysterectomy can be hard. I think in the end we do what we need to do to LIVE. Right? So, if you are higher risk of recurrance or of a new primary in ovaries/uterus - it makes sense to do the hyst. But I totally understand your fears and worries... and I do agree with whoever said that it really correlates to how your mom and other female relatives went through menopause. My mom is osteoporitic - I am 2 years out from my hyst and am osteopenic. My mom is kind of b*tchy... lol, and now, so am I. Yikes! I just had the stark realization that I am becoming my mother!!!!  Anyway, this is not about me, you will be okay - life is important! And so we do what we can to keep living! Lots and lots of hugs!

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited December 2011

Louis 13 - I came up as a large - because my waist was about 31 inches the day I measured. But my hips and thighs are small...so I changed the waist number to 30 and then 29 and it came up medium...so that's what I ordered. It fit great the first week...but then I guess some swelling went down in my waist and I wish I ordered a small. My Marena slides on and off very easily (did the first time I tried it on.) I don't know if that's normal or another sign it's too big.  The thing is, that one slightly larger measurement can put you up a whole 1 or 2 sizes. So, do it manually and mess around with it. If you see that one measurement change, alters it a whole size, then you may want to order both sizes, try them on and return the one that doesn't feel quite right. Good luck!

• Nordy
    edited December 2011

Hi Kathryn!!!

• Del11
    edited December 2011

Louis13--I just looked at the Marena size chart.  I think you might fit better in a medium. The hip size is more important than the waist size and the hip measurement puts you in M.

• JustLaura
    edited December 2011
    Louis13 - I am also 5'7" and 152 lbs (something else we have in common besides pesky belly buttons!). I have a L Marena. And yes it does go to right below your bra.
  • kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited December 2011

Hi Nordy! When are you coming to LA again! Want to show you my new improved ones and flat tummy (besides wanting to see you!)

• louis13
    edited December 2011

Thank you ladies for those replies!....but i just ordered a M before i read them!!

so, the thing is, i loathe doing returns with a passion..so i figured that hopefully i will be in a M in my future, so will start from there in my marena experience....i got fast shipping( and used coupon code, thank you ladies!) so should know how it fits before i hit my 2 week mark and if too small, will quickly a order a L...Laura, so weird we are same...hope the L is not hugely compressive on you?????

• louis13
    edited December 2011

just communicated with oncologist...and now comes tamoxifen...fabulous! even if i need a stage 2b, i need to get onto something sooner rather than later before more surgery...either that or some other hormonal suppression for 9 months and then onto an aromatase inhibitor...oh boy. 

• JustLaura
    edited December 2011

Louis13 - I think you will be fine in an M. I have the L and it is compressing, but at this point I think I could use a little bit more and still be comfortable. So I think you will be fine!

I have been on Tamoxifen since Aug 1 - so I'm in my 5th month. I did not stop for my Stage 2 so it shouldn't be a problem. I really have had very few side effects and barely know I'm on it - however I think my husband would say that I'm somewhat 9highly?) emotional :) 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited December 2011

Rosemary... I am wearing the Large and have ordered the medium and you are taller but thinner than me, so I think the medium will be good...

I sent nipple photos to Laura today so she could see my outward facing left nipple... She said she sees what I am talking about but wants to wait a few more weeks to see what happens... That is all good by me.

I need to start Tamoxifen next week... and baby asprin 3x a week to avoid clots. I was so hoping to get the brand name, but after emailing astrazeneca, they no longer make the brand, so generic it is... I hear side effects are worse on teh off brands, but there are many manufacturers, so if on eis not good, you can always try another.

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited December 2011

Thinking of Adey and Momma..

Hoping for swift healing for you both!:)

Marcia

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited December 2011

bdavis- I take tamoxifen but when I asked my original oncologist about the possibility of taking baby asprin she nixed it.  (I have since switched oncologists but never raised the baby asprin subject  with my new oncologist).  Did your oncologist recommend the asprin?

• louis13
    edited December 2011

thanks guys, i think i should be ok too...and that is good to hear about no side effects Laura...my oncologist kind of went into a spin this afternoon that i have not been on anything for all these months  when i contacted her...after she told me to get thru diep surgeries first...kind of worried me! Betsy..you are on same time frame as me?  altho of course you had both bilateral so less risk of course

and still no news from Adrienne? i have her number, thinking about texting but thinking michelle not had any luck with texting so maybe she is not answering messages yet??

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited December 2011

Another question - at what point did all of you stop caffeine and how long after could you start. I am a coffee and tea drinker, love chocolate but can live without it and don't drink soda at all. It is the coffee/tea that will hurt!

Is it possible to get into shirts if you pull them up over your hips? Or is it too hard to get you arms away from your body? 

Booked my flights today and chatted with the insurance company :) 6 weeks from today. Hope the weather is good.  

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited December 2011

Need2new.. I wore shirts over the head just a couple of days post BMX/hip flaps.. not tight shirts, but had no trouble with lifting my arms up.

Rosemary... Yes.. that is true. I finished chemo in May and with surgery in July, August and November, my oncologist wanted me past it all before starting Tamoxifen in fear of blood clots.

And Besa... yes, my MO told I should take it three times a week... He brought it up. He said that Tamoxifen can cause clots, and 2 asprin per week, will help keep that at bay.

So, no Adey??

How are you tonight Michelle??

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2011

Michelle, Yes, YOU KNEW!!! I agree, you are very in tune with your body. That is a gift! I hope that they "untwisted you" and you will be fine. fingers crossed. 

Louis13 - Good luck with the medium!!! :)