Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited December 2009

(((((((((Hugs))))))))))) to all our Dec stage 2 ladies that I was supposed to be with, but got delayed.. <sniff,sniff> lol   That's ok...this way - you can all give me the lowdown and I will know EXACTLY what to expect, well....maybe, well.....sorta!  hehehe  Anyway, so happy for all you gals, and welcome and lots of luck and prayers to our newbies here.  You have made an excellent decision to be here!  The best way to fight this monster, is to live as well as you can, and our "wonder boys" (and girls, now) in NOLA help us do that in style!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited December 2009

Gin - I am with you on that - I was supposed to be this Thursday for stage 2... but alas, the removal of the rest of the potentially lethal female parts has taken precedence! I am SO missing everyone!

Spring - Thinking about you and knowing that you will come through with flying colors... well some sort of colors anyway - from what I have heard initially they will be in the black and blue families! You will do GREAT! 

Danny - Hope you are feeling well! 

Jill - You will also do great - before you know it you will be awake and on the other side of this! 

BCDiva - you are on deck!

• danny5280
    danny5280 Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2009

Stage 2 is done!  Thank you for the thoughts and good wishes. I'm keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers too! I'm very happy to report that stage 2 is so  much better than stage1!!  Feeling enormous rellief! Slidel is a wonderful facility, nurses are kind and attentive. It makes for a comfortabe hospital say.

Beverly - you will do great tomorrow!  & hope to see you on Wednesay. We're staying a La Pavillon - right next door to the Homewood Suites. Got an amazing rate on Hotwire - $67 a night.  We're going to stay there post-op too. 

Pain meds are making it very diffult to type & think right now!

• iamc
    iamc Member Posts: 87
    edited December 2009

(((hugs danny)))

Congratulations!

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited December 2009

Yay Danny!!  Isnt' it amazing how much easier Stage 2 is?  

• melaniew1
    melaniew1 Member Posts: 209
    edited December 2009

SPRING -Sounds like everything is coming together, just like you hoped for and even better.  Best wished and I can not wait to hear ALL ABOUT IT!  I will be praying for you today and sending healing thoughts your way.  xxoo Mel

• melaniew1
    edited December 2009

Danny - so glad you are well!  Thanks for the update.  Rest, walk and drink plently of water...thats what Trishia says!  xxoo Mel

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited December 2009

Spring.....just remember the affirmations....where is MARCIA?

"I want to be abe able to wear a bikini like Marcia"

"So I can hang out on the beach w/ Marcia"

"And look as great in a bikini as Marcia"

Marcia?  Donde Esta?  AND  I hope you have put the appropriate avatar back up....I need some inspiration here!  as I too am starting to get nervous........

Love and prayers ladies...Spring....You are fabulous and will do swimmingly well!  But please know lots of love and prayers are happening for ya.

• melaniew1
    edited December 2009

Nordy - are you up tomorrow?  I will be praying for ya.  Hugs! 

(((((((((((NORDY))))))))))))) 

((((((((((BEVERLY)))))))))))

(((((((((((((((ALL OTHER SURGERIES THIS WEEK)))))))))))))))))))))

gosh---I am so afraid I will miss someone and hurt their feelings........there are so many wonderful ladies here......thinking of you all. xxoo Mel

• plainjane64
    edited December 2009

Congrats Danny!  Morning Mel!

• melaniew1
    edited December 2009

Morning PJ.  Have a FABULOUS DAY!  Weather is good here today, but cold is movin in along with the rain.  The last good day we will have for a while.  Did you get a frost yet?  Brrrrrrrrrrrr.

I cant believe we are just DAYS away now............16 and countin for me...ONLY 9 for you!  WOW!!!!!  Here we go again............feels like we are on a slippery slope...........no stopping now.  Cool

• melaniew1
    edited December 2009
    MARCIA, MARCIA, MARCIA!!!!!!!!!
  • Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited December 2009

Good to hear Danny!  So glad that it was easier.

Spring & Jill Thinking of you today!

Pam

• plainjane64
    edited December 2009

Mel, heater kicked on last pm, they predicted low of 39-ish?...still don't see frost but there is some rumor of snowflakes on thurs?  Still have green, fleurs and lots of foliage color out my backdoor-REALLY pretty!...but those days must be numbered? I might send e-mail you a photo....can't figure out how to post pics?  Like Spring did?  anybody?

YIKES dec1!  better go turn the calendars and get on the phone w/ Nola...I think my wound pics got lost in holiday shuffle...praying I'm still 'on'...but need to hear ' YES come on down next week'......I am paranoid...neurotic!.........going for pre-op labs today soon as I hear "go". 

taking deep breaths!

Jill, best wishes up and over there!  we're thinking and praying for you!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited December 2009

Good luck y'all! Thinking of you today. Sending positive thoughts!

• plainjane64
    edited December 2009

I am now playing waiting game! 

Made my payments this am...because Friday everyone was closed...and yes, some of us have to be on payment plans!  BUT FYI...they have all been GREAT about working w/ this single working girl......Whomever I spoke w/ this am is going to set up an automated process(YAY!)....I have had identity theft so prior to this was calling every other friday to give them a CC payment and they just didn't have anythng set up so Lanita said a-ok to just call...anyhoo, whomever I spoke w/ this am...maybe Tammy? is supposed to have all in writing for me next week to sign and they'll auto deduct coordinated w/ my friday paydays unless I call and say don't do it.....

So Katie said yes, she has me down for the EnCourage mting w/ 1 or 2 people.....There are some rumblings of my BC sister maybe coming along even tho she said NO on sunday when I asked her if she wanted to come along....ugg-family!.....no big deal either way...just need to know all is go before anything at all is finalized.

Thanks for reading/listening!  Will let you know when I do....Nordy waiting until at least 10 am your time to call ya, but bet you have a busy day today and if your not able to talk it's ok, take care of YOU! xoxo, jjd

Waiting to hear back from Jeanine or Stacey or whomever then to get blood drawn if all is a go....I'm not infected so not really sure why things wouldn't go?...but not really my ultimate decision....

• PamGator89
    PamGator89 Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2009

Hi Ladies,

I will be having Stage 2 with Dr. S and Dr Trehan on Dec 11th.  Anyone going to  Southern Surgical that week? 

Bev--looking forward to hearing from your DH--thinking about you all day!

Danny--I also got that great rate for La Pavillion--what do you think of the place?  Sounds great. 

Anything I should remember to bring to NOLA for Stage 2?

Anyone going to the Support Group?  Is it for Ladies only?

Best wishes to you all--what an amazing journey!

(another) Pam

• melaniew1
    edited December 2009

((((((((((((((((((((((SPRING)))))))))))))))))))))))))))  is taking a little nap about right now!  Laughing

• melaniew1
    edited December 2009

PJ - send pic via regular email, you should have my address.  Quicker that way.............would LOVE to see fleurs.........love me some fleurs!

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited December 2009
    Ladies, I just wanted to share with you that I saw my oncologist yesterday.  He's been so very supportive of my journey for revision surgeries in NOLA after my crummy stage I here in Los Angeles.  He's part of one of the top 10 breast centers in the U.S. and sees a LOT of reconstructed breasts.   He was so stunned with my outcome yesterday that he was (sorry, there's no other word for it) playing with my breasts, making them move up and down just like a normal breast does!  He suggested that we make a movie, to show the very natural bounce of a DIEP breast, because before and after photos don't tell the whole story.  Also, he said my new nipples are the best, most natural-looking nipples he has ever seen, called in his staff to see them, and now he wants to go meet Dr. DellaCroce!   So, all of you stage IIers are in the home stretch toward gorgeous breasts that your doctors will go ga-ga over----onward to the finish line, with our thoughts and prayers, of course!!!!
  • plainjane64
    edited December 2009

OK, Mel, just sent pics...beware... abd pic from today included....AND!!!!!!!  Stacy just called and told me to go get my labs drawn after looking at todays pic....BIG Easy here I come!  will be on the plane this time next week.  Better go get busy!

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited December 2009

Nordy~thinking of you!!  You will do great.  BreastCancerDiva~you are going to be so happy when you wake up tomorrow!

Sandy, that is awesome!  It really is amazing what they can do.  

Just got off the phone with Trish at the Center to RSVP for the Encourage meeting and to cancel the town car for the day.  Isn't that the nicest touch?  We can take the street car back to the hotel.  I can't wait to meet so many of you ladies!!!    

• sassie62
    sassie62 Member Posts: 40
    edited December 2009

Wow Spring 5 hours in surgery.  You are so brave.  You have a great attitude.  Please give us a blow by blow description when you're able.

Well, I emailed Dr. D. with my pictures.   I thought I was looking good until I took my clothes off and had my husband take pictures of me.  I will tell you the camera is no longer my friend (without clothes that is).  I let you girls know what I find out from NOLA.  But I am hoping for no more than 2 - 3 hours in surgery.  After loosing my voice (for over a month) after 91/2 hours in surgery for stage 1, I would want to go for the condensed shorter version.

Thanks Minnesota for explaining the tattooing procedure to me.  Had no idea what to expect. Did you say you had it done twice?  Did it fade?

To answer someone's question?  Dr. T. saw me in the hospital all the days I was there after Stage 1.  I think part of the problem is that I always have to go to Ocshner Baptitst Hospital.  That is my only choice with my insurance.  The only Dr. that goes there (I was told) is Dr. D. and I think he only goes there infrequently since he opened his own Surgical Unit.  In fact when I went there in August (close up the abdomen) they forgot me and I waited all day to be discharged.

Therefore, I really jealous when all of you are stating that your heading to St. Charles.

Hugs to all in Surgery

Sassie 

• melaniew1
    edited December 2009

(((((((((((((SPRING))))))))))))))))

I am so thinking of you!

• plainjane64
    edited December 2009

Mel, me too.....just checked work e-mail to see if she'd made a broadcast e-mail as she did last sept...nothing there....Should one of us call?  or just wait?

Trishia I RSVP'd to Katie....bra genie?  ok!  Are we still going to magazine street next Tues?

I'm excited, just lazy. Sheesh these dark eves make it hard to motivate!

My labs are normal....yay!!!!!  it's the little things!

Ms. Nordy sounds ready!  She's going to do well and I promised her we'd call next week.

8pm and I'm ready to crawl in bed!  And I hated summer????

goodnight girls!

• sparkyhammerjigsaw
    sparkyhammerjigsaw Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2009

Not real sure how to get into this but.....my wife has been diagnosed with IDC and we are increasingly becoming interested in Dr DellaCroce group, especially since we live in LA.  Our local options increasingly give us the feeling that they might be able to fix a car but not a Lamborghini, Porsche, Maserati, etc, allof which I consider a distant second to my wife.

The current doctor is advocating haste.  So for those of you with NOLA experience, what kind of timeline did you have?  We are hoping for immediate recon and hopefully using Dr Lacharde (sp) as the mastectomy surgeon if it comes to that.  Anyone know her? 

Bless you all...and prayers to you and yours. I don't know where I would be without this site and forums...

R

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited December 2009

Sparkyhammer NOLA is really booked up but they do save spots for women that require immediate surgery. Give them a call and let them know your situation. Even if you can't get in right away if you are considering a mastectomy you could have the mastectomy performed in LA and expanders placed to save the breast skin and then arrange for reconstruction afterwards. Sandy and I are both from LA. Sandy can you add anything?

http://www.breastcenter.com/   Contact Liz

Jennifer so glad that they gave you the OK for your stage 2. You will do great.

All you stage 1 and 2 gals healing thoughts coming your way!!!!!!!!

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited December 2009
    sparkyhammerjigsaw the timing is a very individual choice and what you feel comfortable with.  I can say from experience, that when you want immediate reconstruction NOLA will do all they can to get you in as soon as possible.  Is mastectomy the only recommendation? Any chemo or rads? I had my biopsy on 7/31/09, got results a couple of days later, and was able to get my surgery scheduled on 9/10.  Dr Lagarde was my breast surgeon, and she also put in my chemo port when I had to go back on 10/19 to have drains put back in that fell out.  Hang in there, have faith, and believe in whatever decision you make.  Also, know we are here to support both you and your wife anytime!!  Right girls??
  • Warrior517
    Warrior517 Member Posts: 240
    edited December 2009

I think us Lions had one WIN so far!!...lol Maybe TWO!

Ok..sisters..I am thinking of all of you that are there this week.!

Next week is OUR time, girls!! WOO HOO  I arrive the evening of the 10th..surgery on the 11th...Discharge on the 12th and fly home on the 13th.  Now, WHO will I be able to see??(Plainjane??Iamc??)  It goes by so fast for this one compared to Stage 1 so I wanted to see if anyone was getting together on a specific day..

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited December 2009

Sparky,

When you say LA, do you mean Louisiana or Los Angeles? Just curious. I second what the other gals have said, Dr. DellaCroce et al, can get you in fast if they know your circumstances, but don't let your local docs push you into deciding anything on the fly. You do have time to breathe. Your choice of NOLA is the best you can make, regardless of your timeline, however! You will definitely get your Porsche!