Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited July 2012

Naturegirl2 -- Sorry I missed you. I was still at the hospital when you met with Dr. D. I was waiting for the PT meeting with Kristin about how they will wrap my arm during surgery, and how to prevent lymphedema. That was done after 11am, and we left for lunch and returned to the center at 1pm.

I had a CT-A scan at the hospital to look for good vessels to attach. Interesting test -- had BP cuffs inflated on both thighs as the contrast dye was injected making me warm all over while holding my breath for the scan. The meeting with Dr. S went well -- I will be getting my remaining TE removed + capsulectomy, DIEP on that side, and a stacked DIEP on other (but all flaps from abdomen) because the failed TE radiated side needs a lot more skin! All the staff at the hospital and center are SO NICE, I feel I am good hands.

My 7am surgery is postponed to 11am because they got a new breast cancer case and the breast surgeon is only available early.

Florafarm -- So nice to meet you! It was busy at the center today, so I'm glad you came up and inquired and introduced yourself while I was at the check-in desk. You look great, and are ready to go home -- I hope you can lose the hip drains soon and heal up well!

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited July 2012

A big hug and thank you to all.  This has been a very difficult and sad day.  The fellow is here now with the backhoe making Cody's final resting place.  I just couldn't go out there.  Warm Hugs.

Katiejane

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited July 2012

Ah Katiejane, tears flowing for you. I am so sorry.

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited July 2012

Celticantique, what a crowded plate. Gonna say prayers for you a while.

Adey, I stayed at a sister location the Prince Conti and really enjoyed it. Lots of character, clean, excellent staff. They were very accomodating to my needs, especially after my return from surgery. No complaints.

• florafarm
    florafarm Member Posts: 31
    edited July 2012

Checking in one week past BMX and DIEP...saw Dr D for post op. He says the Noobs look 100%good and he pulled another drain, so I'm down to one. Hooray! On the down side, my CT scan revealed an ovarian cyst, and my SN bx revealed a 0.8 mm invasive cancer. Was a stage 0 with DCIS up until Now...suddenly I'm a stage 2...very freaked out. Dr. Stroller said he would not recommend chemo, but I need to check with my oncologist at home of course....so, more doctors in my life...sigh...

AnnAlive, nice to meet you and your hubby. Best wishes on your surgery tomorrow.

Katiejane, I've had and lost horses so I feel your pain. May your happy memories together bring you comfort.

Heading home to IN tomorrow. Not sure I want to flash my Noobs to TSA, but I'll be ready to flash my drain site!

Oh, one more thing, They forgot to pull my Doppler wires at my post op today and I didn't think about it until back to our room. So had to go back for that..heads up to everyone!

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited July 2012

Florafarm -- oh my, I was unaware of your down side news when we met today. Praying for you right now that God will give you peace on your way home and in the coming weeks as you explore your options. I'll PM you about Indiana when I can -- we are from there originally and just returned from a visit.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited July 2012

Flora, hang in there. Thank GOD it was caught this early. Do check in at home of course... thinking of you...

AnnAlive, you had a busy day! Good luck tomorrow!!!! We will be thinking of you! Let us know, when you can, that you are on the other side!!!

KatieJane, I've had horses. I am so sorry. And I right now have a doggie named Cody snoring at my feet. My heart goes out to you.

Somebody asked about the Palace d'Arms (I may have miss spelled). That is Minnesota's favorite place, and it is smack dab in the center of the French Quarter. Sandy stayed once and didn't like it.... I've never tried it myself... 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited July 2012

Florafarm.. please do follow up with your MO... I had a .38mm node and got 6tx of chemo... glad I did... I am a worrier and the fact that it traveled to the node at all gave me pause...

Katiejane... Love horses... so sorry for your loss.

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited July 2012

Celtic Antique - You have been through so much. I think even the strongest among us would be worn down by what you have been through.  You certainly are not selfish.  As everyone has said - give yourself time to heal.  The decision does not need to be made now.  (The only problem I can think of would be potential insurance issues if you join medicare.)  Sixty four is certinly not too old for satisfying relationships in the future or a stage 2B revision.   (I did decide on a second stage 2 surgery -it was the right decision for me.)

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited July 2012

KatieJane so sorry for your loss!! I know our 3 dogs are not pets but members of our family!!

Good luck tomorrow AnnAlive :-)

Florafarm so sorry for the sad news today.

All you amazing ladies are in my thoughts and prayers!!

Chelle

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited July 2012

Wow, lots going on with you ladies.  Florafarm, just hang onto that verse in your signature and remember that God is worthy of your trust and does not want you to worry.

Katiejane, so sorry about your horse! Cry

The Place...well...I choose to stay there because my daughter was in her third year of high school French and I really wanted to give her a taste of old New Orleans.  It was raining very heavily as our plane was landing.  We rented a car and drove to the hotel, the downpour continuing.  Within an hour, we were trapped in our little area of the hotel and couldn't leave at all that evening.  The halls and exits were completely flooded, so my dinner that night prior to surgery was crackers from the vending machine.  Then I saw a rodent in our room before I went to bed, so I barely slept that night.  In the morning, we checked out for my surgery/hospital stay, and when we checked back in two days later, we were given a room in a different part of the hotel.  There were bugs in that room.   After I returned home, I contacted the manager and told him how bad my experience was, and he would not refund a single penny.  Instead, he offered me a discount toward my next stay.  I told him I wouldn't be coming back and he refused to budge.   It may have been an adventure under other circumstances, but felt like a terribly dirty place in which to be recovering from surgery, and I felt that he was less than compassionate about what we endured.  Once, when I stayed at the Homewood, the fan rattled all night and when I asked if they could tighten the cover, they sent maintenance right up and gave me a free night because they knew I'd just had surgery--I wouldn't have asked for that.  The Marriott has always been very good to us too...I've stayed a lot of places in NOLA and the Place d'Armes was the only bad experience.  My absolute favorite room is on the 39th floor of the Marriott; a corner room overlooking the river and French Quarter.  The views from that room are AWESOME.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited July 2012

Katiejane, I am so sorry to hear about Cody. It is such a loss at any time. There are lots of hugs around you right now.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited July 2012

Annalive, thinking of you. We can't wait to hear from you. I put your names on my calendar and send positive thoughts along the way. It is healing for me too. (((((hugs))))))

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited July 2012

So sorry to hear about your loss, Katiejane.  Our animal friends are so dear and their departure is felt for a lifetime. I hope you have had a ceremony to honor your sweet friend.

Florafarm, I agree that you should follow up with your MO about treatment, but I would be encouraged by Dr. Stolier's recommendation that maybe chemo is not necessary.  What would make you feel more comfortable?  I'm so glad they found it and got it out.  

CelticAntique, I hope you will have more and more strong days while going through these big life changes. Cancer, divorce, and the loss of your mother is more than anyone should have to go through in the same year.  I hope that you can do some special things for yourself and give yourself permission to dream of better days.  

AnnAlive, I am thinking of you today and know you are in great hands!   

I lost my first hip drain today, 4 weeks to the day from surgery!  Wahoo!  The skin around it had started to split and was very sore, so I am so glad that I can be done with it.  The other hip is still putting out 40-50 cc a day, so it will be at least another week for that one.  Any progress is so encouraging at this point!!!

• Springtime
    edited July 2012

How was the consult Naturegirl2??

AnnAlive!! Hope all is well! You're on the other side now!

Sandy, what a horrific story! Ugh.  

• Katiejane
    edited July 2012

Thank you ladies for all of your sympathies and hugs!  All 3 of my dogs, 1 cat, and now 1 horse are all a part of our family.  I wouldn't want to live in a world without animals-they are our 2nd set of children!  I am better today, the loss will be felt for a lifetime but that goes without saying.

Thank you all!   Warm Hugs! Katiejane

• KSue
    KSue Member Posts: 87
    edited July 2012

LA Star - Congrats on losing a drain.  Now I am jealolus of both you and Chelle!  I am at 6 weeks today and still have both!  I did talk to the center today and Jeanine said that if my output on the right side is low this evening, I will probably be able to remove the right drain tomorrow.  I am so hoping.

Katiejane and CelticAntique - So sorry that you are both struggling with loss.

Ann Alive - here's to healing days ahead!

• lastar
    edited July 2012

Fingers crossed for you, KSue!  

• chellehump
    edited July 2012

My fingers are crossed for you too KSue :) You are almost there!! Hang in there :)

AnnAlive, hope you are healing comfortably tonight. Gentle Hugs

I called today and spoke with Laura about the pain I am having in my right breast.  Some of it sounds like nerve pain she said. She called in some different meds for me and I am hoping with time it'll all get better. 

I am going to go back to work next week part time for the first week and ease my way back into my routine. My boss told me that he needed time to clean my office. If I saw it now, either two things would happen...1. I would go balistic (my office is always clean when I leave) or 2. I would see how much they need me. He was thrilled I was coming back a week early even if it's only for a few hours a day.  I've been there 11 1/2 years, so I guess they are kinda used to having me there :)

It's been a long day, so I am hoping to fall asleep early.

Good night ladies!!!

Chelle

• Springtime
    edited July 2012

Chelle, that's great! Always nice to be needed, take it eeeeeeeeasy though.

KSue, first one, then the other, you will feel so FREEEEEEEEE. It won't be long now. Hang in there.... 

• Iamblessed
    Iamblessed Member Posts: 9
    edited July 2012

Hi all,

I'm waiting to hear about my insurance coverage, I have a Medicare plan, from NOLA. If you pray, please send a prayer my way. I've waited four years to have stage II done and am so praying it will happen! Thank you!

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited July 2012

You got it, lamblessed.

maggie

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited July 2012

lamblessed... I haven't specifically heard of anyone on Medicare getting treatment in NOLA, but perhaps someone will chime in... BUT if they turn you down, you should have the insurance office at the Center fight for you to get coverage... and if that fails, they do have a form you can fill out similar to a financial aid form.

• Katiejane
    edited July 2012

Prayers for you Lamblessed!  Smile   Katiejane

Also, I went post-op soft bra shopping. Only checked at Wal-Mart and picked up acouple to bring home and try on.  My question is--- is it suppose to be light compression like maybe a sports bra or just a regular soft front closure bra?  The Sports bras look like they may have the compression but trying to get that over my new girls doesn't look like a good idea. They didn't have any that unfastened.  Any suggestions ladies?   Thanks!   Katiejane

• GointoCarolina
    GointoCarolina Member Posts: 95
    edited July 2012

When I had a phone consult with Dr.Massey she told me they could not accept Medicaid as it is a state program,but they had done recon on women who were covered by Medicare as that is federal.

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited July 2012

Katiejane,  When I asked Jeanine she told me a sports bra or any other non-wire bra.  I found some nice back closure sports bras ("Fiona") at Title9 - they are also carried at REI and our local swim & run shop.

Prayers for you all!

We are beginning to look at November for stage 2.  I could use some insurance coverage related prayers, too.  Thank you.  Peace, Tamara

• RunningforSanity
    RunningforSanity Member Posts: 101
    edited July 2012

Coobie bras are over the head so not for right after surgery, but once you can get your arms up, they are very nice.  Cheap ($22), very soft, light compression, and lots of great colors.  My skin was super sensitive in the first couple of months after surgery and the Coobies were not irritating.  They are available through their website.  I don't know if retailers carry them or not.

• chellehump
    edited July 2012

I need to get some bras too, but I have no idea what size I am. Plus my left is a bit bigger than my right. Did anyone go somewhere and get measured or just go places and try different sizes on.

Thank you Spring!! I am a bit nervous going back as the pain gets pretty intense at times, but I'm sure I'll be fine :) My whole office is men (engineers and chemists), so I am sure they'll be willing to help me out.

I slept on my side last night and I am sore today, but have to admit...I missed it!!!

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited July 2012

chelle--I was uneven for awhile too.  Bali makes a decent no-wire bra with stretchy cups, it's very forgiving.  I believe it's the Bali Double Support Jacquard soft cup (there are a few styles of "Double Support", the one with jacquard fabric has the most stretch in the cups).

• lastar
    edited July 2012

Here is a guide for finding your bra size -- I'm curious myself, even though I still have lots of swelling.  I am definitely closer to my old F cups than the requested C cups at this point!

http://www.lindasonline.com/bra-fitting-calculator.html