Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• ttay
    ttay Member Posts: 83
    edited July 2012

Question. Please forgive me if this has been asked before. Has anyone with United Healthcare (No Three Rivers, etc.) had surgery at NOLA? If so, how much did you have to pay out of pocket?

Thanks,

TTAY

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited July 2012

ttay --

I have United Healthcare thru NYS and I had only to pay my out-of-pocket for the year, about $1,500. Hope this helps ...

Maggie

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited July 2012

I'm a bit uneven right now. I found Soma wireless vanishing back to be very comfortable and the molded cups even me out.

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited July 2012

LAstar, wow great site ! Sure wish I known about this long ago. Thanks for posting.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited July 2012

I have been wearing the wrong size bra for years.  How simple that the cup size corresponds to the difference in inches between the band and the largest part of the breast!  Not exactly rocket science but I had no idea!

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited July 2012

WOW!!!!  So much information here on bras-thanks for the input ladies.  Until I can drive, I really hate to ask my husband to take me bra shopping!  I think I may have found a fruit of the loom at Walmart.  Still testing!   LOL!!!  Katiejane

• mstrouble16
    mstrouble16 Member Posts: 177
    edited July 2012

I ordered some bras from www.herroom.com Maiden Form 40953B and Vanity Fair 19060, VERY comfortable.  I can't wear under-wire at all and spent well over 200.00 on bras from Soma and Bra Genie (local specialty store) the bras are padded and just plain uncomfortable, these from HerRoom are inexpensive and comfortable.

• celtic_antique
    edited July 2012

I got some of the Bali Revolution bras and I have to say that they provide the support of an underwire without the wire and are VERY comfortable. I always thought bras were uncomfortable until I really bought ones the right size. These were great. I think others have posted about them, too. At OneHanesPlace website ... FW
    IW

Maggie

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited July 2012

The Coobie bras are really great.  They come with small pads that you can insert into the cup to even out if you need.  They are very comfortable.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited July 2012

I like the Bali Comfort Revolution too, the one with the stretch foam cups. Only goes up to a (small) DD though.

Linda's calculator is good because it takes into account how the normal formula for bra size doesn't apply to larger sizes.  After a certain point, the width of the cup adds inches to the band.  So if you're a DD or larger your band size is probably smaller than you think, and your cup size is probably bigger.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited July 2012

Hmm, maybe there is a little rocket science involved!

• naturegirl2
    naturegirl2 Member Posts: 219
    edited July 2012

Had my consult Monday with Dr. Dr. I am a candidate for Stacked DIEP on left side. Plenty of info to digest.   I spoke to Liz yesterday and got more detailed info on Stage 2.  Another eye opener.  I'd like to know how my breast cancer friends did  who had Stacked DIEP on one side.  PM me if you like.  I'll be waiting to read what you went thru.

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited July 2012

I'm gonna have to find a cloth measuring tape :) because the only we have are my husband plastic/metal ones...lol

I have to get some this weekend especially a white one. I don't want to spend too much because my stage II is in 9 weeks and I plan to be a bit smaller than I am now. Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions!!! I will look into these as soon as I can get my size :)

AnnAlive, hope you are doing well!!

It's amazing how times flies though. I remember being 6 months out from this surgery & just joining this thread and now I am 6 weeks into recovery. Thank you ladies for all your support!!!

Chelle

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited July 2012

Let us know how it goes, Lamblessed...

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited July 2012

Naturegirl.. I had a stacked DIEP on the right side (had bilat stacked Gap on both sides and had trouble with the right side, so DIEP was the do-over)... what is it you'd like to know.

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited July 2012

Thanks for the bra recommendations. I'll need new ones soon after the DIEP "breasts" heal.

Bilat DIEP flaps doing well so far, almost 2 days post-op. I love it here at St. Charles Surgical Hospital and the Center -- staff is very friendly and competent. It looks like Dr. S did a great job, but I haven't seen much because of bandages. He doesn't use abdominal compression while the drains are still there. I awoke in a surgical bra. He had been planning to a single DIEP on the right and stacked on the left, but he found enough abdominal fat and skin to do a regular DIEP on both sides. Right now they seem small to me, but Dr. S said that's because they are spread out, and he can work on the pocket and and projection at stage 2, which is planned for Dec 19.

I don't even know who assisted Dr. S -- I'll ask a nurse for the operative report.

I've walked the halls and should be taking a shower today.The abdominal incision is the most sore. I'm on Percocet for pain and the OnQ balls.

• KSue
    KSue Member Posts: 87
    edited July 2012

AnnAlive - glad to hear that you are doing well!  Oh, the OnQ pain ball - that thing was great!  Keep it as long as you can.

Well, I am going to hang on to both drains for now - yuck!  The right drain is the one that is close to being able to come out.  It has went up a little over the past two days, so the center wants me to watch it over the weekend and to check back on Monday.  Not the news I wanted to hear but I understand that it is still serving a purpose.  (I keep telling myself that anyway).

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited July 2012

AnnAlive,           Glad to hear you are doing so well!  Those pain balls were a great help but I couldn't wait to get rid of them!!! They seemed to always be in the way!!!  Who is your nurse today?  I truly did not want to leave The Center when it was time!  I just love them all and felt vulnerable thinking that I was gonna have to be without their expertise---and I'm a nurse as well!  LOL!! If you see Kimla on the night shift, please tell her Kathy from Utah said HI!  Dr. Massey did my surgery and Dr. Sullivan was to be the other Doc but I forgot to ask too!

So, you ladies who bought the Bali Bras, did you purchase them online?  All recommendations look like they would work well!       Thanks!  Katiejane

• celtic_antique
    edited July 2012

Katiejane -- I purchased mine on-line and someone had posted a coupon, so got'em at less than Walmart prices, shipped! I did go and buy a second round. I really like them, comfortable, fit well (if you get the right size!!), and look really well under even tightl fitting clothing where you need a "smooth" profile.

Maggie

• naturegirl2
    edited July 2012

Hi AnnAlive!

So good to see you here and know you are doing well!  Been waiting to see a post from you and to hear how you did.  What size were you going for in the way of breasts?  Did you get the same size as you had?  How long was your surgery?

Y'all are so courageous and brave.  Don't know if I can go through with breast reconstruction.  I am a candidate for delayed stacked DIEP, and breast lift for the right breast.  What is fueling everyone to go thru their reconstruction?  Are most of you that have had the reconstruction a full sized or very large breast sized? 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited July 2012

Naturegirl... I had an immediate recon... and the whole procedure was a choice for me... I could have just had lumpectomy and radiation... so going into surgery and then awaking and never being breastless was a big deal to me. I looked at it as if they were just unstuffing and restuffing pillows. I cannot imagine not having breasts. I suppose if I had had a MX and did not have recon for whatever reason, I can see how initially the idea of more surgery seems pointless, but I know me, and know that I would forever be reminded of my cancer if I had just had no recon. I felt that way during chemo when I was bald. Today, I don't look in the mirror and think CANCER at all... my hair is back, I have breasts, you can't even really see the scars. And I am just a year post MX this Saturday. July 21, 2011 I had my surgery. The doctors do an amazing job, and you are very lucky to have them so close. If it is something you want, you should go for it!!!

• naturegirl2
    edited July 2012

Hi bdavis,

Thanks for responding.  I can definitely see your point, particularly since you had it all done, everything, at one time.  I think truly that is the way to go.  It was overwhelming the second time around for cancer for me.(same breast)  I did see a PS back then before my Mx, but I was trying to focus on a 2nd recurrence of breast cancer 5 1/2 years ago.  At that time, I did not have enough fat in my belly for a DIEP, had 'whole radiation' the first time around.  PS said he didn't think my success would be very good for an implant due to whole radiation.  At that time, PS suggested using my buttocks, a thought I really couldn't deal with since my buttocks is rather shapely.  Wanted to keep it that way.

Now, today, I am contemplating reconstruction, have enough fat for a stacked DIEP.  bdavis, may I ask if your breasts are large ?  I am either an A or B, wondering if it's worth it and also wondering if most people who have breast reconstruction are rather large to begin with.  Everyone, feel free to join in on this discussion.  I think it would help me.

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited July 2012

Naturegirl,  I am 6wks past a unilateral sgap and I have to say my butt looks good! I was worried about how it might look in comparison with the other cheek but you cannot hardly tell at all, except for a tiny bunny tail which will be corrected at stage 2. I stayed small, a B cup, so I am sure that has something to do with it. This is my second go around with recon, I had failed implants and at that time opted for a C/ D cup. We are all so different with different body types, but I for one am glad to be rid of that big thing and have smaller boobies. Just me.

• mstrouble16
    mstrouble16 Member Posts: 177
    edited July 2012

Naturegirl2-I was like bdavis as far as the surgery part. I was also very full and large breasted before surgery, however  I did choose to go a lot smaller after reconstruction.  My husband had suggested in the past to get a reduction (they were BIG for my small frame, back, neck and shoulder problems) but I was always afraid to have surgery.  Well having bc kinda made that choice for me.  The reason I chose this type of surgery is I just didn't want implants.  I had Dr. DellaCroce and he did a DIEP flap.  Chemo and tamoxifen have been harder for me than the reconstruction surgeries go figure.

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited July 2012

Naturegirl-

I've had failed implants and will eventually be having natural breast reconstruction.

At time of BMX & immed recon, I had requested "at the most" C cup implants, and ended up a D cup, and was unhappy about that.  The implants ended up painful and were a failure anyway...

I am very thin, and after several consultations so far, I will probably be "only" a B. 

I am very happy with that, and actually will be more comfortable with being "only" a B as it fits my thin bodyframe, and I'll be able to wear button up tops again without  the buttons on tops looking pulled apart and ready to pop off!

I also figure that if I ever get in the mood to look larger than a B, that Victoria Secret can come to the rescue.  :) 

Warm wishes to you and making whatever decision makes you feel good, and to having a great outcome!

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited July 2012

KatieJane -- my nurse today is Jamie; yesterday was Charlotte. Last two nights I had Kimla. All have been so helpful!

Naturegirl2 -- I was going from a size C cup, which I was before BMX. After one TE failed, the other TE was halted at 410 cc, which was like a small C cup on me. I'd like to lose 15-20 lbs before stage 2, so I was hoping for size C cup at stage 1, to allow for shrinkage as I lose weight to my preferred size B cup. Well, after stage 1, I look more like a B, but Dr. S told me he can improve the projection at stage 2, using lipo for contouring.

Time for my first post-op shower. The nurses say it can be exhausting, so I'll probably nap afterwards.

• celtic_antique
    edited July 2012

AnnAlive -- Say hi to Jamie for me. She was my nurse both times. Great lady! And you will be pooped after your shower, but it feels SO good!! Hang in there, girl!

Naturegirl2 -- I was a B/C and now my reconstructed breast is a full D with the contralateral only a small C. I lost weight after Stage 2 and the left girl is rally saggin' though Dr. D. did a lift each time. I am looking at Stage 2B so that we can get some symmetry. Dr. D. says probably a small paddle in the natural one as I do not want implants under any conditions -- why I went to NOLA in the first place! :-) Hoping to lose the last lbs I need to before November which is when I hope to have the next stage and have tats at the same time. Talk about a coordination nightmare, but I only have a limited amount of sick time left from work!

• naturegirl2
    edited July 2012

thanks cascader, mstrouble, PinkHeart, AnnAlive, & celtic anti for your response and input.

cascader, I see you waited two years prior to reconstruction and now a B cup.  Sounds good you have those implants out.  Did you worry prior to implants, that you would have to go under once again to have them removed some ten years down the line?  Okay. I wish you the best of luck in the future  for stage 2 surgery.

mstrouble, glad you were able to get your reduction.  I can certainly understand why implants were not for you.  I didn't want them either some 5 1/2 years ago, even though PS said only 50% chance they would work (one breast). Not for implants yesterday or today! It's so good you have everything taken care of at one time.  Lucky you!

PinkHeart,  I see you had your consult with Dr. S July 2nd.  B's are the preference with most here so far. I see you had surgery July 2011, April, 2012, June 2012, all out of town? Did you decide on a date yet for Dr. S. to do latest reconstruction?  How much time are you going to give yourself to decide?  Thanks for your warm regards.

AnnAlive, hi dear! Thanks for your input as well. Good luck with your first shower, enjoy! And B/C cup, allowing for shrinkage due to weight loss.

celtic anti, I hear ya, no implants! What is a small paddle and stage 2b? Is the small paddle considered a foreign object with possible rejection from your body?

Others? Let's hear about what motivates you to go ahead with breast reconstruction and your desired breast size. 

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited July 2012

KSue,  I feel your "drain pain".  I didn't think they were ever going to get to come out.  They will and the freedom is so great.

Naturegirl2,  I think I can understand how you are feeling.  I had the hip flap surgery and three months later stacked Deip flaps due to a bony defect in my chest.  I am now anxiously awaiting Stage 2 and the finishing touches.  I had failed implant reconstruction prior to all of this.  Three of them actually.  I wish I would have had all of the facts about radiation and implant failure. It does feel great to not have the implants sitting on my chest.  My pectoral muscle was extremely thin.  Oh well, that was the past and I looking forward.  Take your time and decide what is right for you.  I think I will probably be a big B when I am done.  I'm good with that. This thread is filled with great people that can answer about any question you may have.

AnnAlive,  It sounds like you are doing just great!  That first shower is wonderful.

Cascader,  I am sure glad your butt looks good......I have two big dents to have fixed.

Does anyone know how long the tightness in the abdomen lasts?  I am at 5 weeks and still really feel it especially if I am active.  Thanks

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited July 2012

re: tightness... I'm almost a year out and I still have it.  I don't think that's the norm though.  Still trying to work it out with PT.