Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2009

WPLD, please let me know your specs and I will add you to the list. I must have missed you! I am sorry, I do my best to try and keep up with you ladies!!! :)

Nancy, I TOLD YOU SO!!!! (Stage 2 so much easier). I too skipped both Versed and the Scopalomine patch - all the anti nausea meds make me dizzy! Dizzy enough already being blonde! ha!

Teel? Check in hon, let us know how you are. has anyone been in touch with Teel?  She is stage 1.

Trisha's tattoos today and Jenn Jane's Stage 2 w/ Dr. D! Go girls!

Pam and Warrior - thinking of you ladies!

Patty, Ccbaby, Mel, and Sassie and WPLD next week!  

• Springtime
    edited December 2009

WPLD, Mr. B's Bistro is also one of our fav places. We had lunch there - same good food and lunch prices! We've also had dinner. :)   I added above your stage 2. 

• NebrNan
    NebrNan Member Posts: 23
    edited December 2009

Forgot to say that I got to meet BreastCancerDiva for a brief moment as we passed in the hall at the clinic.  Her post op visit and my pre op.  She looked terrific!  Best of luck to Trish, Jennifer, Pam and Warrior - you'll do great!

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited December 2009

Am I supposed to cut out the caffeine to help with healing ??

• WPLD
    WPLD Member Posts: 21
    edited December 2009

Springtime,  I am looking forward to Mr. B.'s.  It has really good reviews on Tripadvisor and the locals speak well of it as well.  Thanks for putting me on the list.

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited December 2009

Trisha,

Describe Donn and give a blow-by-blow of nipple tattooing for all the ladies! They would love it!

Teel,

How are you doing?!

Sandy,

Too me, you will always be Nip Girl, no matter what happens to the nips!

Everyone,

Did you all know that Sandy is a nipple pioneer?! Her persistence and willingness to offer up her nipples as little round guinea pigs may end up helping all of us who are in pursuit of nipples both good to look at and to touch! And how do all of the rest of you keep everyone straight? Do you all have cheat sheets about each person, or do you really have minds that clear? If cheat sheets, can I get one from somebody?

• melaniew1
    melaniew1 Member Posts: 209
    edited December 2009

Minnesota -  I do not have a cheat sheet, I just FAKE it!  HA!

• melaniew1
    edited December 2009

Ok, everybody, I got my regular ct scan and bones scan results back.  They were clear EXCEPT for the nodes were showing in the are area and they suspect it is a result of the recent surgery.  The answer was to watch and wait for this.  Anyone else ever have this issue?

• Springtime
    edited December 2009

Sandy,

well, I have a new nipple here, not sure what was done differently, but THANK YOU! :)  (Thanks for sharing Minn).

Yay!!! I am down from four to ONE DRAIN LEFT!!! A week and a half post op phase 2! Two came out today. One left! a belly drain in the 30's, so it will be a while, but now, I can tuck the sucker in my pocket and I've retired the OnQ pain ball belt/carrier! Woot!

Thinking of all you ladies... what a busy week. 

Trisha, I agree with Minn, i would LOVE a Donn/Tattoo blow by blow! I will be doing it at some point! Stacey told me I need to wait 3months at least...

• Springtime
    edited December 2009

Oh Mel, I think we overlapped. That is GREAT NEWS! I think I also had this situation on an MRI when I was post the SNB, like mid chemo. Is this the same area for you? Mine had fluid in it, around the SNB incision. Keep an eye though, but I am sure it will resolve as you heal up.

• melaniew1
    edited December 2009
    Spring - Yes in the under arn area. My oncologist was not really concerned about it.  Still worries me a little though.  But even if they were slightly worried, I think the protocal would be to wait a bit and do another scan.  So either way I am in the same boat.  Frown
  • melaniew1
    edited December 2009

Spring - Congrats on the drains.  SO much better this time around, huh?

• Jill_45
    Jill_45 Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2009

I am finally checking in after having my diep 1 week ago. All went great and I came home on Saturday. The blood flow to the new breast was doing good from the start. I am only taking advil 3 times a day so that's not to bad. I had the drain removed from my breast before I came home but now I am looking quite swollewn so I am not sure what to do or if this is normal. I have 2 drains in my abdomen but again the daily amount of drainage is going up not down. In the last 24 hours they were 100cc and 95 cc. Is this normal for the amount to increase before decreasing? I had a reduction on the other side and that is coming along okay.

I hope everyone is doing great....

Jill.

• Springtime
    edited December 2009

Congrats Jill!! I think sometimes you get more active when coming home, and activity can increase the output from the drains. FYI (or, at least, this is what I have heard). Where many of us go, in order to have a belly drain removed, we need 2 days in a row below 20cc. Different docs to different things, but just letting you know this as a guideline! :) Hope this helps....

• melaniew1
    edited December 2009

WELCOME BACK JILL! Glad to hear you are doing so well!

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited December 2009

Jaimieh,

I was never told to cut out caffeine for healing.

Anne

• Jaimieh
    edited December 2009

Thanks Anne :) 

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited December 2009

Hey Spring, I think the procedure I had is going to be reserved for those who want more than the traditional recon nipples.  Doing them a second time utilizes scar tissue and leads to more substantial nips.   Dr. D created them like short cylinders and then stuffed them with fat grafts.  This sounds so bizarre as I read it back to myself, but I'm pretty sure that was the process!   They look amazingly genuine and feel that way too.  They are starting to shrink a bit and what I'm hoping for is that about 1/2 of the current projection is lasting.  My goal is that those of you who follow me will be able to make your selection from a menu of nips, at the proper time of course!  "After healing, would you like them to look like this, or like this...??"  Which brings something to mind....I would love to see the docs post photos of some ladies who are a year or two post-op and post-tattooing, because the photos on their site show red scars and very dark or bright tattoos and that is not the final result because everything fades out and looks so much more natural later on.  I think it would really help those just starting to consider flap reconstruction to not be concerned by the angry-looking scars.   I think Eve should go first....

• Springtime
    edited December 2009

Oh, I see Sandy. Wow, I am pretty sure I did not have that elaborate nip procedure! Let us know how it turns out. 

Stacy told me when I came for tattoo , they would do final photos. But you are right, those are some bright looking tattoos in some cases.

I would love to hear from Trisha the whole Donn/Nipp story!! Can't wait! I think she is flying home now. apparently, from FB update, she and her DH really enjoyed Bourbon street last night! :) 

• SandyinSoCal
    edited December 2009

Spring, there are pics on Timtam's site.

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited December 2009

A Cheat Sheet??  If I had one.....I would forget where it was! lol.   Started TCH chemo today....so far so good.  Hope everyone elses day has gone well!!

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited December 2009

Mastectomy....check

Chemo....check

Radiation.....check

Reconstruction.....I can't wait for next week to get this part over with and move on with my life!!

• Jaimieh
    edited December 2009

Sandy~ One of the main questions that my family asks is are you going to look like the pictures on the site ???  They look great except their nipples are VERY, VERY bright and then I explained that they are most likely fresh from tatoo's.  I will donate my pictures afterwards.  I am a photographer so I would be happy to set up and take post op pictures for them :).  I took my pictures on a backdrop with lights for my first pictures. 

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited December 2009

I would be more than happy to have photos taken of my faded scars. Sandy, you arrange it, I'll be there! I agree totally. The scars on the photos are very scary-looking and not at all how they look a couple of years later. I'm even thinking that this year I might not need a bikini bottom that covers the scar line, because the scar is so faint. I think those pictures could scare some ladies away from DIEP, which would be really unfortunate, because they become such a non-issue later. I think they should show a close-up of an incision site at different time intervals. 

Jaimieh, You've got it totally right about why the nipples look so bright in the photos. Also, I know in my photo, part of the redness was also blood. Not a lot, but enough to make them look very red. I should have blotted it before the photo! Yuck!

ccbaby, Those other things on your check-off list were all bad. The last thing is very, very good. It should be on it's own list!

Melanie & Gin, You fake really good! Are you faking that you don't have a cheat sheet?

Trisha, Now I want to hear about Boubon Street, too!

• SandyinSoCal
    edited December 2009

Jaimie, great job on the photo---I am so impressed!  I wondered where/how that was done.

Minn, I guess we have a LOT of business to attend to during our next trip to NOLA!

I didn't have blood after the tattoos, but they did weep like crazy and when I looked down at my gown, it was all wet and icky.  Can't wait to hear Trishia's story about making a plane wait!

• melaniew1
    edited December 2009

GIN --  YEAH one chemo down!  You are going kickin cancer's BUTT! 

MINNESOTA - wouldnt you like to know if I am faking the fake?!!!

CCBABY!!  THIS IS A WHOLE NEW AND DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE!  YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE HOW IT IS GOING TO CHANGE YOUR OUTLOOK ON LIFE!!!

WARRIOR517 - GOOD LUCK TODAY.  I HOPE THE CALL ABOUT YOUR HUSBANDS WORK WAS OK!!  If not, dont worry, you got each other, your beautiful kids and those ROCKIN HOT TA TA'S!!!

PLAINJANE - cannot wait to hear back from you.  Rest and heal well.

PAMGATOR - GOOD LUCK today!  Sweet dreams!

OK, I am sure I missed so many, I could not find my cheat sheet, GIN do you know where it is????????

xxoo Mel

• melaniew1
    edited December 2009

HI ALL - Just got a quick text message from our JenniferJane AKA PlainJane (who by the way...aint so plain al all!).

She said she was "pretty sore and groggy. Slept and Slept and could easily fall back asleep." She just got thru eating her breakfast.

Thats all I got for you.

Sweet Dreams PJ!

Mel

• Springtime
    edited December 2009

Trisha Trisha Trisha. So many stories to tell us!!! Donn and Tattoos and planes being held!!! Your public awaits!

I just sent encouraging texts to Pam, Warrior, and JennJane. WE ARE THINKING OF YOU LADIES! JennJane is responding, I must be keeping her awake Mel!!! :)

CCBaby, It won't be long now woman!!!!

Sandy and Minn and all. I always wondered why some ladies in the NOLA Website photos chose to have these bright red areola areas. I was thinking, jeeze, I would have picked a toned down color.... HA!!! (doy)

Minn, given I just had my Abd. incision lowered, and it is all bright red with black stitches and **anything** but faded looking, I think you should send me a pic of what your scar looks like now!!! I will meditate on it and do visual imagery that my incision becomes to look like yours!!!!!!   :)  Honestly, seeing smaller white thin scar lines would be the bomb. 

Gin, glad to hear you are doing so well. Hang in there, you just get through chemo and put this behind you....  

• sassie62
    sassie62 Member Posts: 40
    edited December 2009

melaniew1

I had a Pet Scan about 3 weeks to a month after surgery.  My lymph node under my arm showed up on the scan.  My Oncologist said not to worry it was directly in relationship to the surgery.  The lymph node was doing what it was supposed to - catching all the garbage after surgery.  He could not feel any swelling in that area. Sure enough next test 6 months later showed nothing in that lymph node that was under my arm.

I am sure it isn't anything.  But I know it is easy to say and not easy to put to rest.

You know many of these tests are great and many of these tests put up red flags and cause concern where there should be none.  It has happened to me at least 3 times.  The last time was a chest xray right before going to NOLA for stage 1.  They saw a shadow on my chest xray.  So I had to rush in 2 days before flying out and have a cat scan.  It was a major blood vessel that showed up on the chest xray.  It was NOTHING!  But now when I had another xray for stage 2 their looking at that area even though they were able to determine that it was a artery with the Cat Scan.  It is enough to drive you crazy.

Sassie

• melaniew1
    edited December 2009

SASSIE62 - Thank you so much for the  input.  I have been telling myself the very same thing...but so hard to put it to rest.........this is what we must endure.  Oh Well.  Could be much worse.  Thanks so much though, it makes me feel reassured to hear that you have had similar issues.  mel