Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2009

One of my 4 drains (right hip) is ready to go! last two days were 12cc and 8cc. my left hip was 17cc yesterday, so it's getting ready too. (they want me to keep that one in a bit longer). the 2 belly drains are in the 30's, so they are no where near!!

Walked a mile yesterday and today!!

Feet still look like puffy marshmallows!!!

BCDiva, great to hear you are doing so well!!! You will be an inspiration to others getting ready for stage 1!!

Spring. 

• Teel
    Teel Member Posts: 17
    edited December 2009

So may I ask, just ahem . . . hypothetically - if a woman is sitting on a Southwest Plane in her seat.  Others are boarding.  Heading for NOLA for stage 1.  Is it too late to sream NO STOP LET ME OFF???  Hypothetically.

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited December 2009

Teel you don't want to do that!!!  Number one, it will freak out the other passengers, and possibly get you arrested and tackled by the Air Marshall (which may not be a bad thing if he is hot).  Number two, you would miss out on the BEST medical experience you are ever going to have and some rockin' hot tatas!!!  You are going to be great!!!!

BC Diva you sound fabulous!!!  I will be having a beignet tomorrow!  Wooohoooo!!!! 

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited December 2009

Y'all have a beinget and a cup of Cafe du Monde coffee for me, okay? Someone, please, force the calories for me?? I can buy the CDM coffee here, but it's just not the same...

That reminds me...my sister used to live in NOLA (just off Magazine, and walking distance to the Surgical Center.) Anyway, she told me how to make Nawlins coffee concentrate. Best for summer iced coffees, but still...

One can of chickory coffee. Empty it into a big stock pot. Add 2 cups cold water, and stri till all the grounds are moist. Let sit for at least two hours. Then add 8 more cups of water. Do not stir. Just let it sit for about 12 hours. Filter the liquid through a seive lined with cheesecloth. Squeeze the cloth to get out every last drop. Keep filtering till it's just pure coffe concentrate. Put in a glass jar and keep in the fridge. A quarter cup on the rocks with milk and maybe even a flavoring of your choice is absolutely devine.

It's so freaking cold here right now that the last thing I want is iced coffee!

Anne

• AnneW
    edited December 2009

Spring,

Did you do nips in Stage 2?

Anne

• Trishia
    edited December 2009

OMG I am SO doing that Anne!  That sounds fabulous.  I am a coffee freak!  My screen name on almost every other board besides BC related ones is coffeediva!  LOL!  I ran a shop for 7 years.  I actually am more the coffee nazi versus the coffee diva, but diva sounds so much better.

I have SO much to do here at work!  ACK!  Why do I keep coming online to check on you gals??? because I puffy heart you all and can't wait to see this week's ladies in NOLA!!!  

• Springtime
    edited December 2009

Trisha, you crack me up!!! Coffee Diva, I love it! I hate to admit that we did not go to Cafe Du Monde this go round. My DH is not a huge fan, but I love those baby's. We had lunch at Mr. B's Bistro, though, and that was excellent, and much more reasonable than their dinner prices (x street from Hotel Moneleone, one of the drivers, Kevin, told us it is his fav. rest. )

Anne, I had one PBM side, so it had it's own nipple and areola. On the "C" side, they had to remove the nipple, but kept the areola. So Dr. D uses the areola tissue (some of it) to redo the nipple on that side, said this is good as it's the right kind of tissue (he said other stuff but I can't remember what!)

So, I haven't looked under there yet (I have this nipple protector on it, like a sombraro with no top, that you squish ointment into, and then pray it does not stain all your clothes! I've lost two tops! Anyway, I have not seen what is going on under there,  But apparently, I will need to have a bit of a tattoo on that side to "round out" the areola complex area, given the nipple was removed and then he used tissue from it to make the new nipple.

I hope this makes sense!!!! Can you imagine a regular person reading this thread? They would think they'd landed on the moon!!!

Did I tell you all our refrigerator broke? Just what we need! Some guy is ordering a part, and then I guess we see if that works, is it worth it, or do we get a new one (which is what I am in the mood for, honestly! I want one of those stainless ones with french doors on top and two freezer drawers on the bottom!!! drool drool ) Today we spent time throwing stuff out and putting other things in coolers on the deck.

I did walk 1 mile though, at least I got that in. !!! 

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited December 2009

OK, this is all good to hear....Because I've been starting to freak all day today!  probably because I've not been able to listen to wham!  all day....I changed my itunes account info and can't add to existing library...ok sorry....

Woke up at 4 am......have been out doing errands then sorting thru end of year bills/ property tax stuff.............Uggggg!, not to mention because I closed my house dec 1 all the yearly stuff I prefer to wipe out- like ins,alarm system, etc etc is due now......waaaah!  It will be OK!  I'm alive, healthy, can work...in a few weeks?.....and no longer have the time bombs connected and THAT is the important thing...that and Thank God everyone accepts payment plans! 

On that note.....better go visit my neighbor to see if she got me a better rate on Marriott and then go blow 30 bucks on a mani/pedi.

Marcia...I didn't realize that was you....I'm pretty sure I speak for everyone when I say we want the bikini Marcia back!

Spring...glad I read that- was seriously considering some boots, thinking NOT now.  Oh and I don't have the 3 door thing BUT I do have santini...print resistant stainless-love that.  You should be able to score a deal these places are hurting and will match competitors.

OMG!  I forgot to ask you......did anyone say " ya breasts look garate!"  I have found the voice recorder thing on my iphone and am going to find the ebst accent and record it so I can listen to that over an over!

Warrior I should go home friday?(God willing) but I don't have a good track record so we'll see!

• plainjane64
    edited December 2009

F/U appt?  I have NO clue!  Don't have one that I know of?  Guess we shall see.

OH I recd my appeal request?....guess that means my ins is denying...will ask them what I need to do...anybody done this?

• NebrNan
    NebrNan Member Posts: 23
    edited December 2009

Carolyn & Jennifer - I made it to NOLA today.  Glad to be out of the SNOW at home!  I'll be at The Center for 3:30 appointment on Tueday.  I'll be in a green Christmas sweater (before they get me to the exam room anyway).  Hope to see you there.  Good Luck to all the other second week in December girls.  See you walking the halls!  I'll be at the Marriott post op - leaving on Sunday.

• Springtime
    edited December 2009

JennJane, you don't need to have a post-op appt after Stage 2, they don't schedule them like they do after Stage 1. I wanted one, just in case, on the Friday before I was leaving, and no docs were in the office that day (Christmas Party day!) so Katie set me up with one of the nurses - I saw Stacy. She gave me the once over and set me up with supplies, etc. 

Nancy - Congrats on being in NOLA!! woot! Almost done now girl! I was in your old room this go round, so the bed should be nice and warm for you.  :) 

• AnneW
    edited December 2009

Sweet dreams, anniese and Snowbird, as you prepare for your surgeries tomorrow. I'll be thinking about you.

Anniese, it's way warmer where you are than where WE are!! You might just miss the deep freeze completely!

Anne

edited for bad grammar

• NebrNan
    NebrNan Member Posts: 23
    edited December 2009

Carolyn & Jennifer - I made it to NOLA today. Glad to be out of the SNOW at home! I'll be at The Center for 3:30 appointment on Tueday. I'll be in a green Christmas sweater (before they get me to the exam room anyway). Hope to see you there. Good Luck to all the other second week in December girls. See you walking the halls! I'll be at the Marriott post op - leaving on Sunday.

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited December 2009

Spring -  So glad you are doing so good!!!

To the other Xmas NOLA girls - Lots of luv and good luck coming your way!!!

• dfrn212
    dfrn212 Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2009

Hi ladies,

Getting ready for a SGAP, waiting on a date. I have been offered a place to stay post op in NOLA, but am concerned because it is 2 flights of stairs to get to. I had a a tram flap years ago and would not have been able to manage 2 flights immediately post op. Wondering if any of the SGAP ladies might advise.  

• anniese
    anniese Member Posts: 69
    edited December 2009

Hi all (and Anne!) - I'm here!  Got to New Orleans on Sunday afternoon after sitting on the tarmac in Denver for an hour waiting to be de-iced.  Glad I made it out of there!!!  Had my pre-op  this afternoon with Dr. M.  She was great.  Spent about an hour with me talking about what I really want to have done and what I'm unhappy with.  Made me feel much more comfortable - still very aprehensive about having surgery again after just getting most of my 'mojo' back, but she definitely eased my mind a little.  No tummy tuck for me - just going with lipo.  No nipples this time either - things are too asymetrical and we need to fix that first and then let it settle before deciding on nipple placement. 

I sure hope that I'll get to meet up with some of you while we are all here this week. 

Trish - I think you are going to stop by my room? 

Teel, NebrNan & Iamc - if you have time you can try and stop by my room Tuesday after your pre-op.

PlainJane - not sure when you are arriving but if you get to the center on Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday morning would love to meet you also!

If I don't see you ladies - good luck and I'll be thinking of you (when I'm not knocked out)!

Laura

• plainjane64
    edited December 2009

Gosh...I've no idea which room I was in?  I know late one night when shooting the breeze w/ my nurse she showed me the suites that overlook the streetcar...I think I had the first room on the L from the nurse's station...no complaints.

Nancy that is great!  I'm still not packed and I have to walk out the door at 8am.  Better get to it.  Sure I'll be up very early!  very cold and damp here.

Goodnight ladies.

• Trishia
    edited December 2009

Laura!

I'm fly in tomorrow and will be at the Center at 2:30 is on Wednesday.  I hope you are still there!  If you aren't, then I will come see you at your hotel that evening.  I have your cell.

I also have cell #'s for Teel, BCDiva, and JenniferJane.  Anyone else I am missing?  

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited December 2009

Plainjane...I'll be with you in spirit! (had my Stage 2 Dec 18th 2007) OK,I'll change my avatar again JUST FOR YOU and add an updated weather forecast for NOLA...hugs,marcia :)

Tonight

December07

Rain

Rain

A few showers early becoming steady overnight. Low 63F. Winds SE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70%. Rainfall around a quarter of an inch.

hi67
    lo63

Wind Speed

12 mph SE

Precipitation

70%

Tomorrow

December08

Thunderstorms

Rain and thunderstorms. A few storms may be severe. High 72F. Winds S at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 90%.

hi72
    lo65

Wind Speed

17 mph S

Precipitation

90%

Tomorrow night

December08

Scattered Thunderstorms

Scattered Thunderstorms

Scattered thunderstorms in the evening with a few showers possible late. Low near 65F. Winds SSW at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

hi72
    lo65

Wind Speed

17 mph SSW

Precipitation

60%

wednesday

December09

Mostly Sunny

Mostly Sunny

More sun than clouds. Highs in the low 70s and lows in the mid 40s.

hi70
    lo45

Wind Speed

13 mph WNW

Precipitation

20%

thursday

December10

Mostly Cloudy

Mostly Cloudy

More clouds than sun. Highs in the upper 50s and lows in the mid 40s.

hi59
    lo45

Wind Speed

11 mph NE

Precipitation

20%

friday

December11

Showers

Showers

Showers possible. Highs in the upper 50s and lows in the mid 50s.

hi59
    lo54

Wind Speed

13 mph E

Precipitation

60%

saturday

December12

Showers

Showers

Chance of showers. Highs in the mid 60s and lows in the mid 50s.

hi66
    lo56

Wind Speed

10 mph SSW

Precipitation

50%

sunday

December13

Mostly Cloudy

Mostly Cloudy

More clouds than sun. Highs in the low 60s and lows in the mid 50s.

hi62
    lo55

Wind Speed

7 mph NNE

Precipitation

20%
  • SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited December 2009

dfrn12, as easily as you are exhausted after stage I surgery, I wouldn't stay where I had to climb two flights of stairs even if it's physically possible to do so.  I think that most of us have found that simply taking a shower is so tiring that we have to lay down or take a nap to recover, at least for the first couple of weeks.

• BreastCancerDiva
    BreastCancerDiva Member Posts: 29
    edited December 2009

NebrNan - I have my follow up appt at the Center at 3:00 tomorrow, so it's possible I'll see you there.      We walked a LOT today and yes, made it to CDM for coffee and beignets.    I have to say that I've tried fried dough in a lot of different cultures and haven't found one I don't like yet!!!!   

We are staying at the Homewood and it's been great.    If anyone else is here, feel free to find me!  

• Warrior517
    Warrior517 Member Posts: 240
    edited December 2009

I heard we all should put our "screen names" on our doors at the hospital so we could find each other! (Sandy or someone suggested it..sorry, can't remember who for sure)

I leave on Thursday, just as snow storm hits Detroit. It sounds like I keep missing everyone within a day! arrggh My thoughts are going to all you girls!!! Good luck and heal quickly! xo

• plainjane64
    edited December 2009

Marcia!  Thank you!  Especially since I am sort of struggling to do as many of you have... re: coming to terms, getting the guts, or being able to say to the MD during this limited oportunity...."Here's what I really want! can you please make it happen?".  TRULY, hard for me to not feel a bit guilty or frivolous....think it's  a Catholic thing.....Reality....?  Wouldn't have picked the plastic first if all this wasn't SO important...and YES, I do care how I look!

OK, I took trazodone to sleep early and am up w/ the chickens to pack....I just function much better in the am...Hope I don't fall asleep at the encourage meeting tomorrow pm.....

Writing down all the cell numbers/schedules I started collecting waaay back when because I knew I'd be srambling now!  SO VERY excited for the party!  Please text or call girls...Warrior we'll make it happen somehow.

Really really appreciate and am so happy to get to see/meet many of you in person or in virtual spirit. Do NOT underestimate how much your caring, love, support, ability to make me laugh and not get so freaked out means......Truly, nobody gets it like all of you!  Was SUCH an emotional mess until I found you guys.....

Ok, better get busy!  out the door at 8...and this time I have a 'back up' ride to the airport!  Have to love my NOSY neighbors who don't seem to miss a beat.

• melaniew1
    melaniew1 Member Posts: 209
    edited December 2009

GIRLS!  You are all going to do splendidly!  Best Wishes.  xxoo Mel

• melaniew1
    edited December 2009

JenniferJane - YES you were 1st door on left beyond nurses station.  I can remember your room BUT not my own!  Good Luck Girl!  All will be well.  And remember....ASK for what you want.......leave the guilt in DFW!

• Springtime
    edited December 2009

Go Girls! The next wave, or two, is hitting NOLA!!!  

There you go, getting all beautified, made whole again, and becoming even more voluptuous!

You Go Girls! :) 

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited December 2009

To all of you heading to NOLA this week - best wishes!! My surgery is over a month away, and am already anxious, but sooooo excited to have some breasts!! I also wanted to pass on a site for a shirt that ALL of us should wear once "the boys from NOLA" work their magic!! In beautiful scripted writing on the front, it says....."hell yes they're fake....my real ones almost killed me!" I have this shirt, and it is quite the conversation starter!!  www.sherocks4cancer.com  

A HUGE thanks to all of you who have posted on your experience with NOLA - such a help for those of us who are following your footsteps!!

LouAnn

• iamc
    iamc Member Posts: 87
    edited December 2009

A quick check in with my sisters...

A friend drove me to Charlotte last night, spent the night there, and I am now at the airport enjoying Google's free wifi. (She drove back home this am). I go straight from the airport to my preop appt. Should be there around 2'ish.

I have a multicolor striped cardigan...so say HI if you see me. I'll try to see Nancy, Laura....maybe Jennifer? I can't keep everyone's dates straight, LOL.

Hubby come down around 9:30 tomorrow night, after my surgery. I didn't have him for stage 1, so this will be nice!

Surgery tomorrow!

Carolynn 

• Springtime
    edited December 2009

Trisha sent a Facebook update from the limo in NOLA! She is in search of biegnets! LOL.

LouAnn, Trisha has that shrit too! It is a real crack up. ..."hell yes they're fake....my real ones almost killed me!"

Iamc, keep us updated!!! We at home would love to hear of you all painting the town!!! :) 

• melaniew1
    edited December 2009

I have that shirt too! LOVE IT! 

Had all my pre-op work done yesterday........no turning back now!  Woot!! can not wait to get this deal done!

I am jealous that you all are getting to meet and I will miss so many of you.

IAMC were do you live, as I often drive to charlotte to get a good flight. also about 3 hours from my home of Roanoke Va.