Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited December 2012

Yay for scheduling Stage 2, Runningforsanity!

I had great shape results from Stage 2. I had belly bloat from Stage 1 DIEP but not after Stage 2. I did, however, lose 25 lbs after Stage 2 and cut out wheat (which I believe caused a lot of abdominal bloat and belly fat in me). Pants fit better on me overall and I don't need to find low rise. I do have a longer waist, though, and I tend to wear below the waist cut pants. I feel delightfully proportional and curvy. I was at my heaviest to begin with, so I think some of it depends on where you started and the procedure(s).

My stage 2 was this time last year. My sister and I enjoyed the decorations all over New Orleans! Soak it up while you are down there.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited December 2012

Marty... Certainly ask the docs, but I wouldn't put any ointment on an incision. I am speaking from experience. You want to keep it dry. Use betadine and a pad to protect it.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited December 2012

well saw the wound doc today and she said the opening in the belly incision is fine and said to keep a bandage on it and use neosporin...may have to watch out for the skin irritation.  I too had the sutures on all the incisions and Dr M says they fall out on their own after 3-4 weeks and sure enough they mostly did except for the ones on left side (failed side) but that is fine because that is the side of upmost concern.  Hoping to hear from Dr M tonight.  Not much to talk about just always makes me feel better to talk to her.  Did treatment #17 of 30 today in the hyperbaric tank...more than half way.  My LE is aweful now on the left side again...such a bummer.

Cherrie---woot woot for you on the drain...sleep like a baby tonight

Maggie-2

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited December 2012

Betsy, I will go back to betadine only, pads and will put the dom back on (days only).  Hopefully this will help the little irritated spot AND the bloat.  Thanks!

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited December 2012

Did you ladies who were expecting a phone call from Dr. M tonight or last night receive your phone call??    Katiejane

• RunningforSanity
    RunningforSanity Member Posts: 101
    edited December 2012

Hi Cider - Thanks for the good wishes.  I am looking forward to having a more normal butt shape.  Less of the out-in-out in my side profile.  And less pants slipping down!  And I am planning for a little bit of belly lipo for my menopausal fat deposits.

On the ointment issue, just to clarify, I wasn't advocating putting ointment on the seeping spot, although I can see why it sounded like that.  My dermatologist friend (just his point of view) is that no one should use Neosporin because it is very prone to causing allergies due to all the additives that make it creamy.  His position is that whenever an antibiotic is desired topically, ointment is better than cream because it does not have all the additives.  I hadn't realized there was such a difference between ointments and creams, but apparently ointments are just petroleum jelly with the medication added, so they have fewer ingredients and therefore less likelihood of causing allergic reactions. Just passing along info - not trying to give anyone medical advice.

• mags20487
    edited December 2012

Katiejane ---no I did not get a call....hmmm???

Maggie-2

• mags20487
    edited December 2012

can't use petroleum right now due to the hyperbaric thing...it is on the absoultely not allowed list along with makeup, hairspray, gel, lotions etc.  We all go in looking a fright!

Maggie-2

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited December 2012

Neosporin is also an ointment.  I think the allergens come from the combination of antibiotics (triple vs. just one).

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited December 2012

I developed an allergy to neosporin after using it for a month.  I was told by the Center that the ingredient most people become allergic to is the neomycin.  I now get ointment that contains polymyxin B and bacitracin but not neomycin. 

• Katiejane
    edited December 2012

Maggie 2, Thanks for responding. I think I'm farther out than you -stage 2,(10/31) but I did send pictures along with some questions. I needed an abdominal plication so it's a little different than most stage 2 surgeries . Here' s to healing well! Katiejane

• jojo68
    jojo68 Member Posts: 336
    edited December 2012

Sooo, the presumed tummy tuck, my silver lining, isn't that much of a difference?Cry

• Katiejane
    edited December 2012

Joellelee,  I had to have the plication which is more involved to re-enforce my thin, weak, abdominal facia otherwise I would have stayed with the standard tummy tuck!  I love my flat tummy and new girls!   Katiejane

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited December 2012

I did not get my phone call after sending in pictures and questions, however I did send in an email that needed a quick response and Dr. M herself replied to that. Something must of come up as she has been so good about it in the past.

I am in heaven without my drains. Only one more day of antibiotics!! Hoping my taste and vision gets better. Life is good today. I will start my walking again as soon as my drain site is closed. 😄

Love you all more than you know. You have been my lifesavers. I have learned so much and continue to depend on honest feedback from you. I feel blessed. Thank you!!!

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited December 2012

Ttay been thinking of you today and hope your day was everything you hoped for!

To all the ladies who got their drains out... Whoo hoo life is good!!!

Hope you all get a chance to get out and enjoy the beautiful day.

• New-girl
    New-girl Member Posts: 80
    edited December 2012

Thinking of Ttay too.  Getting nervous and hoping weather is good for all the flights going to NOLA.

• 808shirl
    808shirl Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2012

12/17/12-Dr.S Stage 2

• mags20487
    edited December 2012

yes yes yes on the drains being out Cherrie.

Went to PT/LE therapist today as left arm/hand is a balloon...then went to hbo and afterwards my blood pressure was 189/78  yikes..and temp was just over 100 now I am home and shivering with chills and getting the body aches.   Feeling like this will just never end....I want a break for God's sake!

Maggie-2--still no call and I too sent in my pic and some???'s

• MartyJ
    edited December 2012

Maggie-2 - have you called Dr M?  Use her cell number.  Also, call the office and talk with Becky - she can get ahold of Dr. M.  I am so sorry you are having to deal with more trials.  Please make the phone call and send her another email.

• Cherrie
    edited December 2012

Maggie, I agree with Marty. Make that phone call and ask for a call back. I am so sorry you are going through this. You have certainly had your plate full. Hang in there.

Marty, I am continuing with vision issues. I have 1 more day on antibiotic. I cannot even drive for lack of focus. However, this has been my best day so far. I am feeling well, eating better, sleeping better, drain free, etc. it is like a turning point at 4 weeks for me.

It is 28 degrees here and lightly snowing. Thinking about your climate right now and jealous.

• MartyJ
    edited December 2012

Cherrie - the vision will resolve.  Mine was back to usual about 3 days after antibiotic ended.  Same with taste.  By the time you hit 5 weeks on Monday you will feel even better.

I thought about you today as we took a walk.  We have usually gone about 2 miles, but Chuck wants me healthy and we did 4 miles. In the dom - can we say sweatty.  I just ordered a new Marena so I will have 2 compression (it will come in handy after Stage II).  I don't feel as bloated today and the little irritated area is getting better.  I sure would love to see your snow - it is beautiful here, but I do miss seasons and snow.

• mags20487
    edited December 2012

texted DR M and she says to bundle up and take vitamin c...done...threshold is 101.5 and it has spiked to 101.4...no pain in the body or incisions and no sign of infection anywhere.  My staff has passed around 2 bugs these last few weeks so prob that...just stinks cuz it delays my hbo treatments..

night night

Maggie-2

• MartyJ
    edited December 2012

Maggie, so glad you got some communication.  She just called and said it has been really busy in NOLA this week. Hope you feel better soon!

• millerj
    millerj Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2012

Hi everyone...this is my first time on this site.  I have a BRCA 1 mutation and am having a DIEP flap reconstruction on April 3rd at NOLA.  I am hoping to find someone else that is having surgery there around that time.  I would love to be able to connect with someone while I am there. 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited December 2012

millerj... I am sure you will have company... April in NOLA is fabulous!!

• Cherrie
    edited December 2012

Welcome Millerj. As Betsy said there will be people there. Stay on this thread as it will give you invaluable information. If you want your date added just request this from Springtime and she will add you to the list. I am 4 weeks out of my DIEP flap.

Dr. m called me tonight! She has been doing a lot of surgeries as the end of the year is closing in. I am sure she gets overwhelmed. I am amazed that she connects with us every week. I've never had a doctor do that before. Feeling blessed.

Wow Marty, I am proud of your walking. I was in good shape for surgery, but the walking aggravated my drain site. Now that the drain is pulled I will start back up as soon as wound closes. Maybe another day. Can't wait. It is nice that Chuck pushes you.

• New-girl
    New-girl Member Posts: 80
    edited December 2012

For Phase 2b do I need to pack any compression garments?

• Katiejane
    edited December 2012

Marty J,  Which Marena did you order?  Was it for a stage 1 or stage 2 surgery?  I have been in the Dom since my stage 2 surgery on 10/31 and it's getting really OLD!  I had an abdominal plication and Dr. M wanted me to stay in the Dom but never did tell me when I could change to something else.  Getting ready to order a Marena!

Thanks for you help!   Katiejane

• ttay
    ttay Member Posts: 83
    edited December 2012

Good evening, Ladies. Please forgive my Demerol-Stupor. Wanted to check in.

Dr. T really worked me over.

Surgery took about 7 hours. I'm a plus-size girl..so a lot of lipo; removed fat and tissue under my arms; removed dogears; redid lift on left; revised Diep side...created nipple; fat grafting to both breasts. He also revised my port scar. That's all I know of right now. I'm in quite a bit of pain (all over). Dreading getting up tomorrow.

All so worth it.

So glad of you all sharing your journeys...I was mentally ready for the pain...this pain seems worse than Stage 1, i guess because of the numbing of the ab incision.

Had it not been for you all and this thread, I would still be a uni.

Big Hugs to everyone.

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited December 2012

TTay - So glad to see you are on the other side. You really did get worked over. Oh my. I am anticipating a shorter-duration stage 2 than that next week, but who knows. Praying for you to recover well and have a comfortable Christmas.

Maggie-2 - You need relief from that flu or whatever it is! I hope you had a reasonable night.