Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited December 2012

You know what? I never told Dr. M when I was switching to the Marena. I don't think she cares as long as you're wearing some sort of compression. (also: it is an actual post-surgical compression garment.)  I think right after my second stage 1 I mentioned it in passing, and she said "You might want to wear the other one until your incisions dry up, so you don't get stains on the Marena."  Heh.

With doctors I always keep in mind that if they know about something I've done/am doing then they are compelled to weigh in on it as a doctor, which usually means them erring on the side of caution and telling me to do something different, something that is safest for them to get behind, legally.  So, I don't tell them everything. Within reason.

If you don't trust your own judgment, then by all means go for full disclosure.  Otherwise, use your common sense.

i.e., a Marena garment is a reliable, effective compression garment. There's no reason you can't switch to that (or another brand of compression garment) as long as it's doing what it needs to do, which is compress your donor site.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited December 2012

Katiejane - I ordered the LGS, it has side zippers and an open crotch.  The LGS2 says it is a stage II garment, only difference seems to be no zippers.  Be sure to take your measurements and use the sizing calculator.  When I ordered my other girdle from them, I called and she asked what my presurg measurements were.  I ended up with a size too small.  I'll shrink into it. Although I am just 4 weeks from Stage I, I seem to remember from the "notebook" that Dr. M wants us in compression for 6 months after Stage II.  In reality, I think she knows that doesn't happen.

TTay - so glad to hear from you.  Rest & Heal!

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited December 2012

Tyay~

Thanks for sharing your personal experience. I hope your major pain fades away soon.

How long was your hospital stay? When is your post op apointment and when do you fly home?

I'm having Stage 2 bilateral SGAP on Friday. I will have flap/breast and butt revisions with loads of fat grafting. Also having lymph node transfer.

I'm definitely counting on help from pain meds and pillow on flight as I'm flying home alone.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and happy holiday!

• Angelabianca
    Angelabianca Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2012

Hello Ladies,

I am sitting in pre op waiting to get wheeled in for stage 1 of a Gap Flap. Since I am an active cancer patient the call came in very fast giving me a date to get down here. Dr T. Just came in to say good morning... Wish me luck !!!!

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited December 2012

fever gone.  Dr M emailed this morning to ck on me.  It is weird because I have no other symptoms besides the fever.  Thought I would wake to a sore throat or some tummy thing but nothing.  So strange.  Just a little achy and stiff now. 

Angelabianca..."see" you soon and hope today goes well...happy healing

Maggie 

• MartyJ
    edited December 2012

Angelabianca - you are in the best of hands.  It is so great that you were able to get in quickly. Breath deeply and enjoy today's long nap.  You will do well, just push that pain pump.

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited December 2012

For my stage 2 it was 4 weeks full time Dom, then 2 weeks daytime only if I wanted.  Ttay, hang in there.  It is tough but doable.  Soon you will be looking back happily instead of forward with ugh!   Peace to all.

• Lesleyanne67
    Lesleyanne67 Member Posts: 66
    edited December 2012

Tray and others CONGRATS. Cider thanks for the words of encouragement as I prepare to fly to NOLA this AM for my stage 2 - nervous but I know once I get there it will start to ease it is the getting there.

I would have never had the courage to do all this without all of your sharing.

I will let you know how I do. Dr D here I come : )

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited December 2012

Question about stage 2 lipo: My Aetna list of approvals has many items, probably covering more than will be done. It includes lipectomy of upper extremities. With my history of axillary lymph node dissection and radiation to that area, I have been practicing the "no BP, no needles, no stress" routine for that arm, to prevent LE (which I don't have). For that reason, I suppose that lipo from that arm would be even more traumatic and and risk LE. Right? I want to know before my preop next week that I pass on lipo to my arms, although I would like them to be skinnier. Surprised

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited December 2012

Ttay, Dr. D worked me over too and the pain from stage 2 was worse than stage 1. I think it's the extensive lipo, but I promise it gets better!! Continue to hit the pain pump :) I am surprised the worked your arms though. I was going to, but Jeanine told me they consider that cosmetic and it isn't covered by insurance, so opted against it. You are going to look fabulous girl!! Hugs!!

Glad everyone is getting and feeling better!! I am so nervous as I don't want to get sick that I have become a bit of a germ-a-phob...lol

I mentioned this months ago, but wanted to throw it out again since so many are up for their stage 2. I have this garment if anyone could use it. It's brand new & never been worn.

http://marenagroup.com/garmentstore/product/tabid/199/p-102-2nd-stage-low-waist-girdle-with-short-legs.aspx

Hugs to you all!!

Chelle

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited December 2012

TTay and Angelabianca, we are are thinking of you and sending healing hugs your way. Also to all of our girls in NOAL and Charleston this week. Kick butt!!!!!

Maggie, hopefully that fever stays away. Take care of yourself big time this week.

Marty, compression for stage 2 will be dependent on what is done. Some girls who have a lot of lipo have 6 mo., but those that have little done could be out after 3/4 weeks. I am hoping to be one of those. I want as little lipo as possible. I will need to exercise the old fashion way. Yuk! Dr. M feels I don't need to spend the night for 2a so I am thinking I am not having tons done. We'll see! I can live with compression. But boy did I get tired of drains.

My hip is feeling well and having a walking date tomorrow.

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited December 2012

Will be thinking of you Lesley and grt42 for your upcoming surgery day, and anyone else who is not listed, good luck and will keep you all in my prayers.

Have a great day!

• MartyJ
    edited December 2012

Cherrie - something tells me I will have a fair amount of lipo.  There will be shifting of the leftie as it dropped towards the underarm and there are hollow places at the top (slope is missing).  The rightie was my first cancer side and the 2 sets of leaky implants caused quite a bit of scar tissue.  There is a hard roll at the underside that feels like it is about an inch in diameter and 4" long.  Overall it is not a soft and smushie as the left.  We are waiting to see if it resolves or if she will need to do a baby flap.  Can't quite tell if it is a blood supply problem or it stems form the hematoma that caused me to have a second surgery 2 days after the first.  I have to get into a long evening gown 6 weeks after Stage II so the compression may be the only thing that gets me there.  Not even going to shop for a dress til right before we leave for the event.

Enjoy your walk tomorrow and I will mine.  Raining today.

• New-girl
    New-girl Member Posts: 80
    edited December 2012

Hi T-tay...now I am really scared.  Got to NOLA this morning.   7 hours?  Wozee!!!  Hope you get plenty of pain meds.  I already know I made the right decision by coming here.  Beautiful morning and my driver could not have made me feel like more of a princess.  This place really is a little slice of heaven.

• chellehump
    edited December 2012

Texan, it really is a beautiful and relaxing place!! My stage 2 was 7 1/2 hours, but I had a lot done like Ttay did. Dr. D originally said 5 hours, but he took his time and that's fine with me. It really just depends on what you are having done. You are going to do great!!!

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited December 2012

Texan -- I guess those of us who have been to NOLA before know exactly who your driver was!! He always tells us that the hard part is getting here ... once you are in NOLA, you are a princess! Hugged Glen real hard when I was there and he made me feel like a princess (at my age! really ...Laughing)

TTAY -- I found most of my Stage 2 pain was from the lipo and that the bruising made moving a bear. Make liberal use of the pain meds as prescribed. A body in pain cannot heal. And I used Arnica gel on the bruising as soon as I could and it really helped. Thinking of you and imagining the new svelte Ttay to come!

Best to all on the docket for today and the coming week. Know we are all thinking of you and sending healing and comforting thoughts and prayers your way!

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited December 2012

Chelle, What size is your Marena? Very interested if it's the right size! Also, it is a low waisted one? Not sure that will work but I'm short waisted. And thank you ladies for your input on compression/ garments. The compression actually feels good but I wanted something a little less bulky. Katiejane

• mags20487
    edited December 2012

I never did find out why I was never given compression for the belly.  Doc seemed to pass over the question.  I trust her but just wonder if they forgot after such a long time (11 hrs).  Paranoid about everything all the time now.  Hate that.  Feeling much better today...fever gone...slight headache but drinking lots of water and kicking back in a chair.  Have not had a day like today since the surgery as the HBO is everyday but weekends and those are usually so busy in themselves.  I am actually sitting in front of the tv chillin on the computer...what a luxury.  Should be taking a walk or doing something productive but just do not want to

Maggie

• chellehump
    edited December 2012

Sorry KatieJane, it was an XL and it was the low waist one. Someone sent me a private message earlier and asked me to send it to them. I just wanted to be able to help someone out and pay it forward as a few others did for me. 

• Katiejane
    edited December 2012

No problem Chelle!  It would have been too large for me!  Thanks for letting me know!  

I just got off of the phone w/ the Marena company and I just can't believe that the size they told me to buy is correct.  I started out in an XL in the DOM post-op stage 2 and I also have a L in the same brand but the style seems to be a stage 2 style and it is snug-I can also still wear the XL in the black DOM.  Marena is telling me XS-S is my size!  I haven't worn an XS since 9th grade!!!  I know different garments have different fits but this seems to be an extreme difference.  Have any of you that have switched from the DOM post-op to Marena had a big difference in the sizes?  I'm really stumped!  Thanks, katiejane

• chellehump
    edited December 2012

KatieJane, I ended up with a small and a medium and they both fit. I originally bought a large but returned it for a smaller size. I am only 5'0 and I weigh about 127 lbs

I got the XL as a sample. It turns out Marena is basically in my back yard (3 miles from my house) and I ended up knowing the rep I was talking to. She gave me a few samples she had and the XL was way to big for me. I did use the medium in the short leg though, but liked the longer ones that covered my knees.

Not sure of your measurements, but I'd try a small and go from there or buy two and return one once you've tried both sizes on.

• MartyJ
    edited December 2012

KatieJane - I have an XXL in the Dom. When I gave Marena Rep my measurements, she put me in a large. It was too tight in the waist and the short legs rolled up. Did they ask for your current measurements or pre surgery? 4 weeks post stage 1 and my waist is 3 inches larger than normal, but hips are the same. Although I don't think the sizing is that radically different, I second what Chelle says, order several sizes and return.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2012

RunningForSanity, I added your March 1 date. 

TTay, glad you are doing okay. Sounds like you had a big stage 2!

Upcoming 

Dec 14 - LesleyAnne67 - Stage 2 in NOLA.  

Dec 14 - grt42btexan - Stage 2, Dr. T., NOLA

Dec 17 - Downey30 - Stage 2B with Dr. Massey in Charleston

Dec 18 - AnnAlive - Stage 2, Dr. S., NOLA. 

Dec 19 - Kerry A - Stage 2, Dr. D., NOLA. 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited December 2012

I had a XXL and XL DOM and a L and M in Marena... both Marena's fit.

• Katiejane
    edited December 2012

Thanks Ladies for you input.  There seems to be about a 2 size difference from the Dom and the Marena's.  I think I will order a few different sizes/styles as Chelle suggested and return what doesn't fit.  Boy Chelle, how lucky you are to have them so close!  Thanks again !  katiejane

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited December 2012

Chelle- Thanks for your words. I hope you and your family are doing well.

Tamara- It was nice talking with you a few weeks ago. 

Ttay- I am glad  your Stage 2 is behind you. I hope your pain subsides with the pain meds. You will do Great!

Finished wrapped most of the Christmas gifts this evening. I love the holidays and all the fun that goes along with it. We are celebrating Christmas with one side of our family this weekend as they wanted to make sure I did not too much over Christmas when we get back home. I know once we are back in NOLA a lot of that anxiety will wash away as many of you have said. I am looking forward to seeing the decorations as well. This time it will just be my husband and I so we are planning a nice dinner the night we arrive. I have not seen any other surgeries posted here after mine for the year but I am sure the hospital will be busy...sounds like it is hopping right now!

Does NOLA talk with you about buying a Marena garment? From reading posts here, it looks like everyone bought one. Did anyone find they did not need it? Is there a reason to buy the Marena vs wearing the one post surgery from NOLA? Thank you ladies!

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited December 2012

You can wear the one they give you as long as you want. Some people find the Marena more comfortable because the fabric is smoother. That's the only reason to switch, comfort. But some people are fine with the Dom.

• Katiejane
    edited December 2012

KerryA,       NOLA will give you the post-op compression girdle that you will wear at first.  I have been in mine since 10/31.  I would definately wear the one they give you until your Doc. tells you that you can change. Since I'm 6 weeks out tomorrow I am ready to change to something less bulky and alittle more comfy.  I'm sure your Doc/NOLA will be happy to answer all of your questions!! 

Wishing you a Merry Christmas!  katiejane

• mags20487
    edited December 2012

KerryA-- I was not put in compression after the surgery so maybe wait til you are done to see if it's necessary to have some extras.

Maggie-2

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited December 2012

Kerry,  Nice talking to you, too!  You will do great!  I wore the compression garment I woke up in, did not buy anything else.  I wore it solid for 4 weeks but then only once in a while, like when going for a big walk.  I stopped wearing it sooner than planned due to itching (my skin's fault - the garment was fine) on my chest/ribs.  

I see the dermatologist today to recheck a mole which I am sure is fine and to ask about my skin reaction that continues - getting much better but not completely gone.          

I found a comfy, light bra: a Barely There no underwire, thin formed cup (to reduce headlights) at JCP that comes in s,m, or l.  Jeanine said no heavy duty sports bras for a while & I am still avoiding underwire.