Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited December 2012

Cherrie.. I agree with jeskacki. I have suffered in the past from antibiotic induced colitis, and so when I heard I'd be on an antibiotic for 9 weeks, I asked for a probiotic. The Center gave it to me along with my other meds, and I continued when I got hom for the 8.5 weeks I had drains, and for an additional week of antibiotics. I am actually still taking probiotics as I feel it helps with "the bloat."

About revisions on donor sites.. I would say YES. I am getting another butt lift in January, and it wlll be covered. It is sort of unrelated to what they are doing for my boob. They aren't lifting it to help my breast. They are lifting it to help my butt. Something I am entitled to.

• Pamela44
    Pamela44 Member Posts: 114
    edited December 2012

Hello all. Cherrie I hope you begin to feel better with the new antibiotic. Chelle I hope the MRI comes out good for your son.

I have some questions- I still, 4 weeks out, have superficial skin sensitivity to about 50 p.c. Of my breasts. When I touch the skin, or my clothing touches it is uncomfortable and unpleasant but not really painful. Does anyone else have this and how long did it take to go away? Also, I am surprised the center does not make routine follow up calls every week or two. Am I missing something? Finally, I hope to go back to tennis 6 weeks out, does that seem reasonable? I better begin upper body stitching, I really have some nothing yet except walking.

By the way, I am concerned with the lift during stage 2 they will get smaller. I love the size now and don't want them to change one ounce! Is there a way to avoid that?

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2012

grt42btexan I added your Dec 14 date. Congrats.

Pamela, I had the ultra skin sensitivity and it took 5-6 weeks to resolve I think. It was a long time ago, but I will never forget it! It does eventually resolve. Mine turned from ultra sensitive, to more of a burning, then it either resolved in some spots or went more numb. So I think it is the nerves maybe trying to repair.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited December 2012

I, too, have the ultraskin sensitivity - 3.5 weeks out.  Mostly on my chest above the breasts, but some on the breasts and abdomen.  Dr. M told me to massage the boobs and touch the sensitive areas often to help eliminate the sensitivity.

BTW, Spring, my Stage II is scheduled for April 5 with Dr. M in Charleston

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited December 2012

Thanks. I have a new antibiotic, but the pills are huge. After these last few days I am scared to even try it. We'll see. Did your doctor suggest Align too. I wonder why Dr. M didn't mention it. I may try that too. Actually, I am feeling a shade better. Thanks Marty.

• bdavis
    edited December 2012

Cherrie... Align is one brand. I actually can't remember which brand I buy... something that costs about $18 for a month's supply at the grocery store. I did ask for it... Dr D and the nurses didn't tell me to take it. I just knew that if you are on an antibiotic for a long time, it can wreak havoc on your intestinal system. They had no issues with getting it and giving it to me... I think everyone should take it.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited December 2012

It isn't really a PSs area of expertise. I'm guessing if you had problems with your second antibiotic she'd refer you to your internist (she did that with me).

Align is different than other probiotics and it's the #1 doctor recommended. Can't explain why, you could probably look it up. But other probiotics made my problem worse, not better.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited December 2012

5 weeks out from diep tomorrow and 4 weeks today from left removal...now the right side is itching sooooo bad.  An internal itching that you just can't scratch.  Has anyone else experienced this? 

I spoke with Dr M on phone Sunday and asked her about returning to zumba and she started to chuckle at me...gotta love her.  She said ask again in a month about that. 

All seems to be healing well--still going to hyperbaric everyday from 1 to 4..errrr but it is helping to hold my left chest wound together so worth the time.  My skin was hypersentative initially but it has now subsided.  Just wishing the bloat would calm down. 

Cherrie..hope you get that drain out soon and get your taste buds back too

Maggie-2 

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited December 2012

Cherrie - I take the Whole Foods version of Pearls.  Been doing it for a long time.  I have Chuck on them, too, for good gut health.  Recommended by endocrinologist.

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited December 2012

Culturelle is another great probiotic you can find at the drugstore. I take probiotics all the time, but I rotate monthly between a few for different strains.

I had a lift at stage 2b when I didn't want the size changed. Size stayed the same, just more lift! Amazing. It's been 3 months since 2b and my results keep improving.

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited December 2012

Thank you Pamela!! It's so hard not knowing what's going on with your child.

Thanks you Betsy!! I don't think they will need to do anything with my breast, so it would be just my donor sites. The fat grafting didn't take back there and the scar sags and is thick. I am still giving things at least a year and I can't concentrate on it, but wasn't sure if Dr. D would operate just to repair the donor site and if the insurance will cover that. With clothes it looks ok, but undressed...not so much. I have been using the kelocote, but my scars are still very prominent. I ordered more off amazon and I'm just going to continue using it and see what happens.

My husband and I are keeping the situation with my son private (just family knows) so thank you for letting me come here to vent and ask for prayers. You ladies are amazing!!! I couldn't sleep last night and was up worrying most of the night, which will make for a long day here at work. With everything I have been through over the past two years, I would go through it all again in a heartbeat to have my son healthy!! But, I am getting stronger everyday and I have to believe that things happen the way they did, so I could be strong now and help my son get through this. We could use a break from the medical drama though.

Cherrie glad you called and got on a new antibiotic!! Mags, glad you are doing well and healing nicely. It'll be March before you know it.
    Jen, hoping things went well at the doctors appointment. Saying prayers for you!!

Thank you again ladies!! Hope everyone has a great day!!

Chelle

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited December 2012

Mags,  same thing happened to me when I mentioned to Dr. M that I had been on the treadmill.  She was NOT happy with me.  She told me to go to a mall and walk because it was so hot out then.  Only problem was we don't have an inside mall to walk in. HA! I know what it feels like to get in trouble.

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited December 2012

I've turned the corner on flu symptoms, but now feel dragged down by Z-pak and/or the cough remedy. I had my pre-op (and other) labs and MO 3-month visit yesterday. Everything looked fine, and she gave me a permission note to have my port taken out at NOLA! Laughing 13 more days, so I hope to perk up by next week to have some good days before surgery. Trying to eat well even though I have little appetite with these meds.

I've been taking Mercola's Complete Probiotic for close to a year now and it seems very good. Expensive, so I may reduce dose after I get past surgery/antibiotics.

grt42btexan - great that you are getting in for your 2b before year-end.

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited December 2012

Ann, great you have turned the corner and feeling better.

I am in CHS, but afraid my surgery will be cancelled. Preop tomorrow but I am not getting much better. Could really use some prayers for a miraculous recovery from this stupid virus!!

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited December 2012

Cascader,  sending prayers and healing vibes your way.  

• ttay
    ttay Member Posts: 83
    edited December 2012

Good morning, Ladies.

Just got a call from the Center. My surgery has been moved up to 12/11/2012.

• chellehump
    edited December 2012

Cascader I'm sending up prayers for you!!!

ttay, I'll be thinking and praying for you too!! Sounds like the center is hopping right now. I have two ladies who's surgery's are tomorrow.

Glad to see you turned the corner Ann!!

Lots of prayers going up!!!

Hugs to you all

• heavenschild
    heavenschild Member Posts: 42
    edited December 2012

Hello Ladies!  I am scheduled for a DIEP 1/23/13 here in LA.  I was wondering if I may hop on this site because after reading about 15 pages of posts, you girls really know what you are talking about. 

My question is that I am trying to arrange for care afterwards.  My sister is coming in for two weeks after I am discharged from the hospital, but after that I am guessing that I will still need help with the cleaning and cooking for at least about a month after that (bringing post-op time to 7 weeks)?

Thank you!!!

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited December 2012

Cascader,

Hoping so much u feel better before pre op to go on for surgery friday.

• Esmerelda
    Esmerelda Member Posts: 156
    edited December 2012

Hi ladies, thank you so much for your well wishes and prayers. The appointment with my onc went well. He said that he absolutely does not believe my issues with occasional rib discomfort has anything to do with cancer. He said he wouldn't even recommend any tests or scans to confirm this; it's just not presenting in any way that worries him. We talked about other causes, such as inflammation from surgery, etc. and we talked at length about my anxiety. He said that they see a lot of younger women in particular (I'm 39) struggle with anxiety/depression due to tamoxifen. We have so much estrogen still coursing through our bodies, and the impact of tamox on our hormones is so great. So, I'm about to add an antidepressant to my tamox regimen. I feel good about this decision - despite having never really suffered from anxiety/depression before - I'm game for alleviating what I'm dealing with now! We'll see how long I'll take it for.

I also think the past 6 weeks have really contributed to my mood. I was running about 3 miles a day before my second stage surgery, eating well, and I had been on tamox for a good 5 months - enough for my body to get used to it. Then, all at once, I had major surgery, had to stop excercising for several weeks and had to stop the tamox for three weeks...and then start it up again. My onc thinks this was a lot of physical/biochemical changes to deal with all at once. So, be forewarned, everyone! Don't be surprised if you start to feel crazy upon stopping and starting up tamoxifen, as well as your excercise regimen, as well as your diet... Lots of changes we're all putting our bodies through!

At any rate, thank you for praying and thinking of me!

Maggie, I wanted to let you know that YES I have "phantom" itching! I get it in my right breast and when I try to scratch it to alleviate it... I can't tell if it's working! It feels as if the itching is on the inside. Strange. Must have something to do with nerve regeneration, I bet.

heavenschild, my husband stayed home with me for the first two weeks, and then my mom came occasionally. We also had friends bring us meals about four times a week for about 3 months. INCREDIBLE! They set up a meal plan through www.takethemameal.com. It was incredible. My husband definitley picked up the slack for a good 4 weeks - and it was a lot of responsibility (with a puppy and 4-year old). I do wish during that time we had hired a cleaning service so that he had less weighing on his shoulders. Week three was a tough one for me (more difficult then week 2), and then after week three things steadily got better. I was certainly able to do small household chores by week three and with lots of rest, was able to take care of my drains, showering, bathroom, etc. No problem. I hope this helps!

Cascader, saying prayers for you today that you are better! Cherie and Chelle - thinking of you both... good luck ladies who are upcoming!

• heavenschild
    heavenschild Member Posts: 42
    edited December 2012

Esmerelda:  Your husband is a prince charming - how wonderful!  Thank you so much!!!

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited December 2012

Cascader -- praying for you. What symptoms -- coughing, lungs congested? After anticipating and traveling, I sure hope you can clear up enough for surgery. I suppose they may worry about pneumonia developing if you aren't clear, especially after anesthesia. Praying some more!

Chelle, Nordy -- thanks, corner turned and hoping to glide through to NOLA.

Ttay -- did your surgery date change involve flights or are you driving?

Jen -- praying for you that things will get better soon. I don't have Tamoxifen to deal with, and know that's a big challenge to coping. If it's anything like the steroid ups and downs during chemo, yes I feel for that crazy feeling!

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited December 2012

Cascader I pray that you get that miracle and everything works out perfectly for you.

What a busy December! Best wishes to all the brave ladies coming up and so admirable of all of you scheduled so close to Christmas.

Heavenschild, my only regret is that I had not lined up someone to come in and clean for at minimum four weeks post op.  Ideally, it would have been wonderful to have someone for eight weeks come in to clean.  I was able to do light housekeeping and meal preparation but the stamina and endurance was slow to return and I'd get wore out easily. Self care was the easiest task to handle.  I was able to handle my own showers, drains, dressings the end of the second week post op.

Mags, I have been itching and scratching after stage 2. It is internal and feels like something is crawling/tickling inside.  No matter how much scratching I try, it doesn't get relief.  It isn't constant though, it comes and goes.

Esmerelda, please be forgiving to yourself.  You have been on quite a ride.  I too had young children after my original diagnosis and active treatment (3 boys 3, 8 and 10). Even though tamoxifen wasn't an option with triple neg, I had anxiety issues after finishing things up.  I think guilt consumed me and contributed to the anxiety department the most.  I just felt so guilty about the impact my diagnosis and treatment had on my husband and kids.  I took the anti depressants for at least a year after active treatment to get through that part of the journey.  It helped enormously.  I think there are years of healing that take place long after the active treatment is done. Psychologically the whole ordeal can be a train wreck and sometimes that's an area that gets overlooked with proper treatment.

Chelle, still praying for you and your precious cargo. Hang tough, and when you can't please rant, rave, and vent all you need to.  We are here for you.

Everyone else, I sincerely wish you the merriest Christmas season.  You are all very special people and I am so grateful I stumbled upon this thread. 

• ttay
    ttay Member Posts: 83
    edited December 2012

Ann: I'm flying. I'll keep my same flight schedule...No cnanges. They told me that I'll go straight from the airport to the Center to see Dr. Trahan and do all of my pre-op appts.

Chelle: I have been thinking about your son and you. How are you healing?

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2012

Willy and Cherrie, I added your Feb dates in Chicago. You two will be there at the same time. You should get together!

Marty J, added your date too.

We have a lot of upcoming surgeries scheduled before the end of the year!!!

Dec 12 - TTay - Stage 2, Dr. T., NOLA 

Dec 14 - LesleyAnne67 - Stage 2 in NOLA.  

Dec 14 - grt42btexan - Stage 2, Dr. T., NOLA

Dec 17 - Downey30 - Stage 2B with Dr. Massey in Charleston

Dec 18 - AnnAlive - Stage 2, Dr. S., NOLA. 

Dec 19 - Kerry A - Stage 2, Dr. D., NOLA. 

Psalm 91: 14-16 "Because she loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue her; I will protect her, for she acknowledges my name. She will call upon me, and I will answer her; I will be with her in trouble, I will deliver her and honor her. W long life...

• bdavis
    edited December 2012

ttay is Dec 11 now

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited December 2012

Cascader I am so sorry you are still under the weather. (Hugs))

Chelle-I think about what you are going through everyday. I also like that you can rant and rave on this site. We are here for you. I can't imagine how scared you must be.

I am feeling better today. I am trying to eat protein and my girlfriend made some chicken noodle soup that actually tasted good to me. I had 2 bowls. Ginger ale has been my friend and I haven't had pop in a long time. I am on the new antibiotic, but they are hard to swallow. I am looking into the pro-biotics also. I wish it wasn't so expensive. Thanks for all of your suggestions. What would I do without you ladies???😘

• chellehump
    edited December 2012

Thank you so much Cherrie, Jen, Anita and Ttay!! I've been holding it together for the most part. My son's homeroom & 1st period teacher sent me an email letting me know that my son looked very pale this morning, but he wasn't complaining and was acting like himself. She just thought I should know. I can't tell you how wonderful his teachers have been and continue to be. All of them are keeping a watchful eye on him. I didn't hear anything else and he didn't call me to come home, so hopefully tonight will be ok.

Ttay, I am doing ok & thank you for asking. I have days that I am swollen and bloated & just generally wore out, but I know these days will get farther and farther apart as time goes by. I have decided to give my body a year and see how things settle out & go from there. I am really looking forward to the holidays and getting to spend some time with my family. My husband will be working Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, but we will take what we can get :)

I have so much to be thankful for and I keep that up front in my mind. Hoping and praying we can get some answers for my son and it's something simple!!

Cherrie glad you are feeling better!!
    Cascasder, hope you are doing better and able to go ahead with your surgery!!

Thanks again ladies!!!

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited December 2012

Thank you for all the good thoughts, my surgery is happening tomorrow despite my lingering congestion. Of course the anesthesiologist can still say no, but I am all marked up and ready to go!

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited December 2012

Cascader

GREAT NEWS so glad you are all marked up and Dr Kline going ahead! Been checking in here about you today.

Keep us posted and wishing you the best.

I fly to Charleston tomorrow. Please PM or call or text me if you would like to meet. My friend has to work part of time I'm there so will have her car here and there.