Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited December 2012

I am at 5 weeks and have scabs, too.  Much of the abdomin has cleared, but one of them seems to be oozing a tiny bit.  I am watching it.  The left breast is almost scab free.  The problem rightie has about 2" of scabbing and glue hanging on.  Dr. M also said it looked good.  I am not worried, yet.  

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited December 2012

A lot of the scabbing is normal and will resolve on its own, as mine did on my breast incisions. Let your surgeon decide. If there is necrosis, it may require help to remove the dead tissue so the wound can heal, thus debridement. Chemical debridement using an enzyme ointment may be slower, but can be combined with surgical debridement to cut out the eschar (hard black area), usually a simple procedure in the doctor's office. I know this only from my own experience with the abdominal wound a few months ago, not qualified to say what anyone else might need. Undecided Doctor's job.

I had my pre-op for stage 2 with Dr. S this evening, and I'm now all marked up! Lots of lipo planned, and he says I won't have any drains. He requires compression for just 2 weeks. I'll have various scar revision too, and the surgery should last 2-2.5 hours.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2012

Elizabeth1959, I added a place holder for your March surgery in March. If you get a date, I can add that too. 

Back when the term "DOM" was coined by Nordy, it was that Veronique with the rosebud. I think they have since used another, then at some point went back to this one...

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited December 2012

oh... I am mistaken then. I thought she was referring to the other one.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited December 2012

the wound doc was not in today but is going to look at it tomorrow.  Dr M did not want it to wait til Thursday...she has me all freaked out.  I gave her the # of the doc here and hope that she will call her to talk about what should be done.  She mentioned something about a wound vac--no idea what that is.  grrrrr...just when I thought all was ok.  This started off as the last part of the incision that was still scabbed over.  It started as a small oozing from one side.  The wound doc then put some ointment on it and a bandage to soften the scab which came off...now there is a slightly gaping wound that is getting deeper with each day.  Super gross

maggie-2

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited December 2012

AnnAlive- Glad your pre-op went well. Thanks for you messages. My thoughts and prayers are with you tomorrow.

The jitters have started to set back in tonight after closing things out at work and talking with friends & family. I know I will feel at peace after seeing Dr Dellacroce tomorrow afternoon. Looking forward to a nice dinner tomorrow as well. My husband has been enjoying researching that out. Not sure where he decided on. This will be our fourth visit to NOLA (twice for fun and the last time for my Stage 1) so we are starting to get to know the city well.  I am also excited to see the city all decorated for the holidays. Thanks again to all you wonderful women here for your help and advance!

• annalive
    edited December 2012

I'm awake too early, and will be at the hospital around 9am for surgery starting at 10:00-10:30. The Center seems very busy with us end-of-year patients, and more than one nurse said it was a crazy day yesterday. My pre-op with Dr. S was very reassuring that I will turn out OK. I'll write again when I can. Smile

Kerry - I hope to see you around here, praying for trip and surgery.

Maggie - The wound vac is supposed to be very effective, but I haven't seen one. You can search the Reconstruction forum to see what others have said about theirs. Thinking of you!

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited December 2012

Good luck to AnnAlive and KerryA!  We'll be thinking about you...  Please keep us posted.

I haven't been on for a while because my 8 yr old daughter is in the midst of Nutcracker rehearsals.  It's like a part time job, 25 hours a week, but she loves it.  And of course I "get" to volunteer for the ballet company.  Not ready at all for Christmas and a house full of company starting Friday night.  I decided to make handmade gifts this year for some of the relatives and teachers and it has become like an obsession, working on them when I should be sleeping or organizing the house.  Even though I'm in a rush, I'm getting more and more detailed, very OCD.  My father was Jewish, so we normally light the menorah, but completely missed Hanukkah this year.  If all else fails, we'll decorate the tree on Christmas eve.  I think that's the tradition in some part of the world:)  

I haven't been on the forums for a while.  Like the other Jen (Esmerelda), I've been a funk worrying almost constantly about recurrence.  I think it's defnitely the post-treatment let down. 

Interesting to read about the Diepsters with abdominal incision issues.  Mine was right in the center (belly button area) and was a black mess.  I pronably should have raised the red flag, but I thought I was being brave.  It felt hard, sort of like cardboard inside.  Dr S did a lot of work on it during stage 2.  Now I feel like there's a bit more cardboard underneath.  I need to find out more about massage tissue.  I found a new local breast surgeon to follow me.  She has ultrasound in her office and will check as much as I want.  She was also able to get breast MRI approved and feels confident that she'll be able to do that each year.  I also have a major shoulder probablly, major impingement.  She said her patients normally start PT almost immediately after surgery.  I'm going to an orthopedic doc for a cortisone shot and starting PT after the holidays.

Wishing you all continued stress-free recovery.  And of course, a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.  xoxo Jenifer

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited December 2012

AnnAlive. Hope all is going great in surgery and for easier recovery for you.

You mentioned u were having lots of lipo. Is that being fat grafted as well? If so is it being fat grafted to your breasts?

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited December 2012

AnnAlive & Kerry, sending positive thoughts and prayers to you both!! Kerry, it's amazing how seeing Dr. D can just settle everything down :) You are going to do great!!

Chelle

• KerryA
    edited December 2012

Chelle -thank you for your words.

I am all marked up from dr d. Sounds like it will be about 4 -5 hrs tomorrow. Decided to also have some loose stomach skin removed from weight loss with the other revis ions. Still can change my mind but planning to do it i think. Will have scar on lower stomach. Did anyone have any stomach work done at stage 2? If so was it worth it? It is not plication.

• chellehump
    edited December 2012

Kerry, I had stomach work done including plication. But, I dont regret it. I had loose skin and just an ugly mess that my doctor left me after my hysterectomy. It's not 100% better, but Dr D did amazing job trying to fix another doctors mess. So, is he doing a mini tummy tuck?

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited December 2012

Kerry- this is an opportunity you may never have again. We're all thinking of you and AnnAlive.

• KerryA
    edited December 2012

Thanks ladies for the input. Dr d said it is not considered a tummy tuck just removing loose skin...thought tummy tuck myself but jeanine said it was not either. Will have stomach drain on top of hop drains so a little more than I thought but agree that I may not get this opportunity again. Going to do it. Thinking long term! Hoping to met up with annalive tomorrow. Will try to keep in touch as I can.

• chellehump
    edited December 2012

That was my mentality too and it's nice to have that area fixed for the most part and I'm loving wearing clothes that shows my flatter tummy :-) You are going to do great!!! Tell your hubby though, Dr. D told us 5 hours and it turned out to be 7 1/2 hours as Dr. D is a perfectionist. So, tell him not to worry (well I know he will anyway) but if it runs longer to know you are in the best possible hands.
    Sending hugs your way Kerry!!
    Ann, hope you surgery went well today and we are all thinking and praying for you!!
    Chelle

• annalive
    edited December 2012

Out of stage 2 yesterday, doing fine. Surgery was only 2 hours, but it started 3 hours after I was in the pre-op area. They were running behind, but I didn't ask why.

KerryA, I'm in room 206. Foley and IV Morphine were discontinued this morning, started Percocet, and I had a regular breakfast. After I have my noon dose of IV Clindamycin, the IV will be pulled and I'll be switched to the oral form. We walked a lap around the floor, and I don't have much pain. I think I'll be discharged by early afternoon. I have't seen a doctor today, so I guess someone other than Dr. S will write the dischage order.

I have on a black bra and black compression girdle with rosebud, from under breasts to above knees. I had lipo in various places, injected around breasts. Some incisions were revised, especially abominal that had wide scar from necrosis, and I have one drain at the right end, not putting out much fluid. I also had my port removed (yay!). I skipped nipple recon in favor of tats later on.

• MartyJ
    edited December 2012

Yeah Anne!  Sounds like you had a great day yesterday.  Keep on goingSmile!

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited December 2012

Ann, sounds like a wonderful day you had yesterday, so happy you are all set for the new year.

• ttay
    ttay Member Posts: 83
    edited December 2012

Ann, so good to hear from you.

Healing Hugs to you and KerryA.

• chellehump
    edited December 2012

Good to hear from you Ann!! Glad you are doing well :)

Kerry, praying for you!!

Ttay, how are you feeling?

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited December 2012

Anne,  It sounds like you are going to bounce back quickly.  I am glad things went well for you.

Kerry A, Hope you are comfortable and wishing you a speedy recovery.

I had my Stage 2B on Monday.  It was five hours.  Stomach plication, scar revisions and lip for graphting. I should have left the hospital but for some reason I am unable to pee.  They put the  catheter back in last night and it will be pulled tonight at midnight.  Please send prayeres that I pee!!!  Time for some pain meds.

I'm ready to go home.  Hugs, Jamie

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited December 2012

Are you on dilaudid, Downey30?  Difficulty with urination can be a side effect, and I experienced it a bit too.

I'm glad to see so many folks reporting back after surgery and sounding so good!  Heal well, ladies!  

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited December 2012

Nice to hear from you AnnAlive. How great that the pain is not bad. Sounds like you heal fast. Go home and enjoy the holidays.

• ttay
    ttay Member Posts: 83
    edited December 2012

Downey, I had problems going as well.

They made me chug several bottles of water and walk laps; then I went.

• KerryA
    edited December 2012

Hi all. Glad to report all went well

Surgery was about five hours

Lots of pain when I woke but ok now. Ann I have not gotten up yet but I'm in Rom 205! You still here.? On pain ball good but loopy!

• annalive
    edited December 2012

I'm hurting more now, mostly my abdomen. I'm on Percocet for pain.

KerryA - I was discharged  from the hospital around 2pm. I did ask the nurses about you, and they thought you must still be in surgery or recovery. I see you checked in, above. I wish you a comfortable recovery! You had a long surgery!

I'm at our hotel now hoping to feel better soon. Still, my experience with stage 2 is not as rough as stage 1.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited December 2012

I am glad that you are doing so well annalive

downey...sorry you have troubles...may it come to pass soon--literally

kerry...hope the next couple of days go well for you.

got my wound vac placed today...yuck...gotta carry it around with me like a lost puppy.  Doc thinks it will be on for at least 2-3 weeks...not too bad I guess.  may end up having to do more hyperbaric treatments though..sigh...when does it end

Maggie-2

• MartyJ
    edited December 2012

Downey - good to hear from you. Sorry about the pee problem. I know you can do it! Just rest and take it easy. Surgery was longer than y'all expected.

Maggie - so you have a new pet? At least you had early intervention with a wound doc. Sometimes these things really are a bit more than picking a scab. 2 weeks will fly by!

Kerry and Anne - y'all sound good!

• KerryA
    edited December 2012

Annalive sorry we missed each other. I was back in my room after 2:30 or so.

Pain is okay now which is good. Eating some dinner then off to sleep.

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited December 2012

Mags--

Im so sorry to hear u have a wound vac! Please dont think i was downsizing your incision debridememt. Just thought like jeskaski that your local wound doc could be addressing your issue versus having to put yourself through travel to where ever dr m may be.

Thats great that dr m is coordinating your care with local docs.

Dr Kline was also excellent with giving orders to wound care hbot doc as well as my PT-CLT. Then they would take it from there with their own expertise and ascertain my condition at time of office visit and both send him reports on me.

Again my sincere apologies. Im still on oxycodone evry four hours n should just log off for awhile.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and gift of getting well soon! :)