Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Class of 2009 - Sisters in the same time frame

Options

Comments

• txstardust
    txstardust Member Posts: 180
    Options

Michele - sorry you're having to stress out over this!  It seems odd that they would wait for 5 weeks if there was a problem seen on the mammo; maybe it's an office mistake, they called the wrong number or something like that.  Fingers are crossed for you!

• OM12
    OM12 Member Posts: 17
    Options

Michele - I have my fingers crossed for scar tissue - what a nightmare for you. If you've been called to Grimes for imaging on Monday afternoon, I'll 'see' you there... I'll be the terrified one in the corner! : )

• one-L
    one-L Member Posts: 653
    Options

Gosh, so much going on in everyone's life.

Shelby, sorry to hear about your ex, I know it was a surprise, we never expect those things to happen.  Have a good summer and get some rest.  Good luck on your surgery in a couple of weeks.

Michele, I hope all is going fine with you  and you found that the Dr's office had just made a mistake.

Pam, I would like some cake and cookies.  I am trying to lose weight again, it is so much easier to put on than take off.  I have gained 10 lbs and can't seem to get it off.

Jojo, you look wonderful in your avatar, hope all is going well with you.

I am still trying to get caught up from vacation, family reunions and grandkids.  I am not complaining, just really really busy.  Seems like we have plans for every weekend.  We  had a great time on vacation.  Much cooler in the mountains of New Mexico than here in Texas.  One morning when we were in Red River it was 18 degrees.  We didn't even see 18 degrees last winter here.  Anyway it warmed up quick and the rest of the day was nice.

Hugs to all,

Juannelle

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    Options

Hello Ladies.  Indeed it was just scar tissue.  I figured it was.  Otherwise they would have called me in much sooner.

It is a busy time here.  My son is graduating next week and there is a lot going on because of that.  I have grandparents coming to town for that.  As well it is end of school year for my daughter, so it is busy with field trips and the such.  My poor daughter got a nasty case of strep throat, but she is now on antibiotics...Next week she is getting her braces on.  In two weeks she is having a gum graft as well.  Holy crap..I think I need a vacation.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704
    Options

'09 sisters, Lots going on here in S. Oregon.  My 1 & only DD graduated high school on 6-9-12, my Dad turned 81 the same day.  My wonderful, kind, beautiful, gracious, devoted mom died Monday, the 18th after a very short 3 month battle against lung cancer with mets to the liver & brain.  My sister, brother & I were able to keep her in her home & the 3 of us cared for her through the end.  Tonight is the 1st night in 3 months that I haven't gone from work to her home for dinner, Jeopardy, visiting, crossword puzzles, laughing, divving out jewlery & other possessions or just hanging out.  I at a loss & I miss her desperately!

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045
    Options

Sorry very sorry to hear that Joni!  I spent last summer caring for my Dad in the same way (but throat cancer). We were able to keep him home as well by each having an appointed "caregiving" shift.  I hope you can feel the way that we did knowing that because of your combined efforts, she was able to stay in her home AND she got to have some wonderful one on one time with her kids!  I still struggle with the loss of my Dad (really miss him), and he has been gone since September 2, 2011. Make sure that you take some time for yourself as you transition from the caregiving role to a supporting role for your Dad.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.  ((Joni))

• micheleboots
    Options

Joni, Joni, Joni...I am so sorry for you loss.  I am sending super big Mom sized ((hugs)) your way.

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    Options

Joni and MaryLouise, 

What a gift you gave your parents! I hope the pain can be eased by knowing you did such a good job in providing care in the last days-weeks of their lives. Bless you both.

It is such a hard time to go through. We have a dear friend (male-55 ish) who is taking care of his 93 yr old mother. It is so hard and he doesn't know what to do. Men are just not equipped to be caregivers like women. Seems like we spend our whole lives taking care of someone. But we wouldn't have it any other way. 

Special hugs to you, Joni.

• eph3_12
    Options

Thanks Ladies, & Mary Louise, sorry for your loss-I can honestly say-it sucks! My Dad is in relatively good health, but late stage Alzheimers.  My step-mom is doing a wonderful job; as soon as I have a small amount of recovery time under my belt, I imagine I'll be over there doing it all over again!   pj-I've always felt your John Lennon quote was so appropriate for our BC journey, but it just fits life in general. 

• txstardust
    Options

I'm so sorry to hear of your mom's passing.  I'm sending big hugs your way.

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    Options

Joni, so sorry to hear about your mom. My thoughts are with you.

• txstardust
    Options

Hi everyone!  Hope you're all staying nice and cool.  Record high temp here yesterday - 106 F!!  Today is only supposed to be 104.  Of course, I'm leaving tomorrow to go to one of the few places in the country hotter than here - headed to Arizona for a work conference, where the forecast high is about 111.  But from there, I'm off to the Seattle area, where it's only going into the upper 50s.  So, I'm packing a swimsuit and sweatshirts into the same suitcase.

Joni, sending more gentle hugs your way - how are you doing?

I have my pre-op appointment today in preparation for my Stage II DIEP surgery, which is on July 12.  It will be nice to have the surgeon smooth and even things out - hopefully, less lumps and bumps when it's over.

Had a routine PET/CT last week.  I wasn't expecting any issues, so of course there was a problem.  When I went to see my doc for results, he said there was uptake on my left ovary, and it has become enlarged since my last scan a year ago.  So it's back to the gyn/onc for an ultrasound.  I decided to wait until after surgery to start dealing with this new issue, so the appointment is on July 20.  Maybe it just means my ovaries are waking up after 2 1/2 years, and I just happened to have the scan on the day the ovary decided to start working again.  It's possible, according to my doc - even though the gyn said I was in menopause a year ago, and typically your period doesn't return if it's gone for that long...but I'm holding on to the possibility!  I really look forward to the day I go to the doctor and he says that everything is fine and I don't need to have any more tests.  I believe it will happen - someday!

Much love to you all!!

• mimi1964
    mimi1964 Member Posts: 851
    Options

Wow so much has been going on in everyone's lives and I feel as if I've been gone forever.  My home internet has been down for 3 months.  I needed a new modem and bought one that would work with ATT and finally got my son up here to talk to the ATT peeps and get it hooked up.  So glad to be back in the land of the living.  I could get on with my phone but so hard to navigate BC.org with the changes on your cell I just didn't bother after American Idol ended.  I have also gotten a new job and been working 11p-7a shift at night.  Which I might add I really don't like but it is a job.  The job I don't mind just the hours. 

I've been to see my Med Onco and I am no longer taking Arimidex.  I actually stopped taking it myself on Mar. 30 because my hair was coming out in the handfuls.  I had to cut my hair off super short because I lost so much hair.  I also can't bleach it right now because it was coming out so badly.  I have put dark color on it which is not as damaging.  The Med Onco told me to stay off the Arimidex until June 15 and then start taking the Tamoxifen again but I won't be taking the 20mg only 10mg.  Hopefully this will keep the hair from falling out and the memory problems at bay and the joint pain from coming back.  He wanted me to take something but I have had so many problems I was ready to not take anything.  My weight is at an all time high.  All the weight I lost I had gained it back before I went off the Arimidex.  Hoping i can figure out a way to get it off. 

Now for some good news my DD is getting married this friday in an outdoor wedding to a very nice young man.  Not only will we be getting a son-in-law but also another granddaughter as he has a 3 yr. daughter.  That will now make me the Mimi of 6 grandbabies!! Love them all!! Here's a funny I am reading the book 50 Shades of Grey and my daughter will now be Mrs. Gray... LOL!!! too funny :)))  Hope you all continue to have a great summer.  It's been 104-106 here at times this week.

Much love to you all!!

Renee

• micheleboots
    Options

Hello all. 

Mimi, congrats

Shelby, hoping all is great for your tests.  Stay positive.

It has been a crazy few weeks, father in law got married with only 4 weeks notice.  We had a slew of birthdays in the house and my son just graduated from high school, with honors.  I had my in-laws  and my mom here for the graduation.  I was ready to strangle my mom...

• pj12
    Options

Hi Michelle,

You have had a busy time. Family sure know hoe to push our buttons, don't they! So were the "in laws" the newly married couple? Wow, I can see all kinds of complications. :) you must be very proud of your son. What are his plans for the future?

Shelby,

I don't think the day will ever come that there is not some "issue" that arises with each doctor visit or scan. But it sure scares the beegeebies out of me. I never used to think anything could be wrong with me. Now I worry about eveyrthing! But I have to say that at 3+ years post active treatment I am feeling really good. Full of energy and stronger than I have felt since my BC DX. Does it take that long to get over it all? Thinking of you and your soon to be surgery.

Renee,

If I lost my Internet connection for three months I would get a lot more done around here! But I would feel cut off from the world. I, too, had a lot of hair loss with arimidex. I have always had really thick hair but it was coming out like crazy. I would be standing in the kitchen cooking and would feel hairs fall from my head and cascade along my arms. Terrible. I have been off of arimidex about 18 months now and I would say my hair is finally getting back to normal. I did not have chemo so it was not a factor in my hair loss. I did not stop arimidex because of the hair loss. For me it was the terrible weakness that I was experiencing. I have done a lot better on tamoxifen. Hope you will find 10 mg more tolerable.

Thinking of everyone. Hope you are not having brutally hot temps. It's hot here but it's Florida in July so what do you expect? Usually we have a cooling ocean breeze but the wind is out of the west these days so the breeze is hot. Hopefully it will shift soon. TS Debby came by but didn't cause any trouble. We needed the rain it brought and we were lucky we did not get the flooding like the gulf coast and jacksonville experienced. I have been painting the railings on our downstairs and upstairs decks. A big job and hot work. But finished today! Hooray!

Hugs to everyone.

Pam

• micheleboots
    Options

Pam it is brutal hot here lately...It feels like Florida here..

Just got back from taking my daughter for a gum graft...ouch.  She was a trooper for sure.

• pj12
    Options

Michelle,

Do you all have air conditioning like we do here? Could not manage without it. BUT no one I knew had AC when I was a teenager and we survived. No AC in school, not even in college. Big fans!

• mimi1964
    Options

Pam when I was small we used a lot of box fans to cool with or opened the doors.  Only more well to do people had air conditioners.  When I got a little older and was on up in school by the 3rd grade my parents built our first house and we had air conditioners by then.  But really didn't use it much my mom was a penny pincher and always worried about the electric bill so she used the fans unless it was really hot.  We were just accustomed to the heat.  Now we all would sweat to death and think we were dying.  LOL!!

• pj12
    Options

Even though we keep our thermostat set at a sensible 78 degrees, sometimes it seems freezing in our house. Especially if I have been working In the yard and am really hot when i come inside. Living near the ocean we do often have a nice sea breeze and it would be wonderful to open all the doors and windows and let the wind blow through. BUT the air is salty and loaded with humidity. Brass fixtures "pit", appliances rust, leather shoes and purses mold, and books grow a weird fungus. This was normal growing up in Florida in the 60s. Even the metal clips on hangars will leave rust marks on the waistbands of your clothes! So air conditioning is a mixed blessing. Our local grocery store (publix) is SO cold that even the cashiers wear sweaters in July. I carry a light jacket to put on as I enter the store. Can't put it on as I get out of the car as I would surely melt before I got to the door.

But I am glad to sitting here in air conditioned comfort!

• micheleboots
    Options

ya we have AC.  I am an AC miser.  The way I see it, our winters are so long that when spring gets here I want all the fresh air I can get.  I have friends who stay indoors all summer in their air conditions houses...not me.  I only use it when it is super warm. 

• mimi1964
    Options

Pam I bet that is strange to enter a grocery store in Florida in the middle of July and see store clerks with sweaters on... LOL!!!

• mimi1964
    Options

FYI:  for some of you that may not know Juanelle and her husband were in a motorcycle accident and suffered some severe injuries on June 30.  They have both been in the hospital.  Juanelle had several broken bones and had to have pins and a couple of surgeries... etc. Please keep them in your prayers. 

• eph3_12
    Options

Renee, I saw that on FB.  Do you have any additional details?

• txstardust
    Options

I just returned from the Seattle area, where I actually had to turn on the heater twice at night!  Quite a change from the horribly oppressive heat when I was in Phoenix - when I would never have made it without a/c.  Now, it's back to the Texas heat.  I wish I could spend more time outside in the summer, but it's so uncomfortable to be outside for any length of time here.  I was LOVING spending most of the day outside while in Washington.  

So, I'm getting ready for surgery - Thursday is the big day.  Think positive thoughts for me!  I'm hopeful that this is the last time I go under the knife for anything cancer-related.

Hugs to all :) 

• mimi1964
    Options

Joni, you know what I know if you saw it on FB.  I know they are suppose to try and wean her DH off the ventilator and they are planning on going to rehab in a week.  ( I believe that was the gest of it).  She posted from her mobile phone so not sure she can get on here or will even think of it.  Just wanted everyone to pray for them.  Being a nursing home nurse that has worked with pts. in rehab they will have a long road of recovery ahead of them. 

• txstardust
    Options

What a shock to hear about Juannelle and her hubby!  Of course, my thoughts are with them for a speedy recovery.  Life is just unfair sometimes.

• pj12
    Options

Wow, I remember when juanelle's husband rode his motorcycle to Florida. Lots of problems but he got home safely. I wonder if they were near home and family when the accident happened? Does anyone have an address to send a card? If so, pease PM me with it. This is just a reminder that we don't know what is around the corner. My thoughts and prayers are with both of them.

• micheleboots
    Options

Saw it on FB as well...saying prayers as well...just think if we all say a little prayer, then for sure our prayers will be answered.

• micheleboots
    Options

oops, forgot...good luck Shelby...sending you my happy thoughts as well.  group hug for both of you.

• mimi1964
    Options

I'll see if I can post and get an address through private message. 

Pam I have no idea where they were at I know Juanelle said it was a life changing experience.... She has definitely had a difficult few years with her bc dx and then her daughters dx of bc and now this.