Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Class of 2009 - Sisters in the same time frame

Options

Comments

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045
    Options

Saying a prayer now.  Just logged in after a bit of time away from the boards.  Thanks Mimi for the info. 

Hope everything is well with Shelby as well.

I had my 6 month visit with my Onc.  All is well and he will be ordering my yearly mammogram and mri for November.  Now I just have to find out when my ooph will be scheduled!

• txstardust
    txstardust Member Posts: 180
    Options

Glad all is well from your onc, Mary Louise!  Let us know about the upcoming ooph.

Continued positive vibes are heading Juannelle's way.  While it will be a tough road to recovery, she's tougher.  

Recovery is going well for me.  I'm not taking any more pain meds - which is good, because they made me sooo tired and queasy.  Even though I'm still a little swollen, I am pleased with the results.  I think I'll have matching girls after all!  Now, I can move my worrying a little "south" - my appt with the gyn/onc is on Friday.  Fingers crossed for a good result.

I sent my little darlings off to their grandparents' ranch for a few days, so it's nice and quiet here.  I'm getting some planning done for a new literacy program in my classroom, which I'm really excited about.  I can hardly believe I start back at work in less than 3 weeks!

I hope you're all having a great summer.  I think about you every day!  Big hugs to everyone :) 

I hope you're all enjoying your summers.   

• Karen3
    Karen3 Member Posts: 37
    Options

Hi all

I just looked at this thread - I haven't posted here yet. I was first diagnosed with TN IDC in Sep 2009 but I feel that I have been fighting BC since. I had a bilat mast in Dec following cancer in the other breast. I am just hoping that I have seen the last of BC now. Good to meet you all Laughing. What a journey we have all been on!

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    Options

Hi Karen - nice to meet you and sorry you've had to battle this beast twice. The ladies on this thread are great and have been such an inspiration to me since 2009. I'm also TN and visit this thread as well as "Calling all TNS."

Mary Louise - hope all goes well for your ooph. Not to be nosey but are you having some symptoms or something or do you have a family history? None of my doctors have mentioned this for me so that's why I'm wondering.

Hope everyone is doing well. It's extremely hot here in Toronto today.  

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    Options

Karen3, welcome...better late than never.

• micheleboots
    Options

Karen3, welcome...better late than never.

• feistybluegecko
    feistybluegecko Member Posts: 9
    Options

Hi everyone, I have also been away for a while and just been catching up with you all.  Sending thoughts and prayers to Juanelle and her hubby, and sorry to hear of scares and more scanxieties.  I don't think it ever leaves us.

I have now just got out of hospital, as I had a pulmonary embolism (several lobes affected) so was pretty scary.  It seems to have been connected with Tamoxifen (thrombosis is a rare side effect/complication) and exacerbated by extensive travel recently and lack of rest.  It has been a bit of a rough ride but I am doing so much better now and finally got hme to Yangon this afternoon.  Bleurgh to all the seemingly never ending after effects of cancer.

Sending love and warm wishes to you all.

Philippa

• micheleboots
    Options

Philippa, holy crap.  That sounds scary.  I'm glad you are doing ok now.

Juanelle, sending big hugs out to you and your hubby..I read you got your hair washed and it felt great...it's the little things that make life great, isn't it.

• one-L
    one-L Member Posts: 653
    Options

Hello dear dear ladies.  Both my DH and I are improving every day.  We do have a long recovery ahead of us, but we are alive to recover.  He has 10 broken ribs and did no have to have any surgery, he is up and about and ready to go home.

I landed on my left side so I had a broken hip, crushed wrist, 3 breaks in my humerus, broken scapula 2 broken ribs.  I have had two surgeries to put me back together.  I am still very sore and rehab just makes it worse, but worth the pain.  I went to the doctor yesterday and they see no reason why I would not make a complete recovery.  I should even be able to resume Zumba.

We are at the Ft Worth Center of Rehabilition, 850 12th Ave, room 216, Ft Worth, Tx 76014.  We will probably be here another week.

We were out for a morning ride and we came to a bad curve, were only going about 30, anyway, we left the road.Thank goodness we were with a group.

I will get caught up on my reading and post again

Juannelle 

• micheleboots
    Options

Juenelle, boy I am thinking and praying for you...so glad things are improving for you both.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704
    Options

1-L, Glad recovery is going well...what a way to start the morning.

I posted the following on FB & a couple other threads so some of you may have seen it already, sorry for the duplication, but that's what happens when you follow me around. Smile

I was walking the dog this evening at dusk, on a route we do almost every night. We got to almost the exact area where I fell 2 years ago & broke my shoulder. A dragonfly zipped right in front of me, right to left. I followed it with my eyes as it traveled up & directly overhead there were probably 20 dragonflies darting, flying & twirling. It was AMAZING!!! I have walked that route for 5 yrs now & have NEVER seen this. Mom passed away just a month ago; dragonflies were one of her favorite things. A neighbor woman walked by & wondered what I was looking at-she looked up saw them-I was crying by now & told her about mom. This lady said, "I've never seen that either. Maybe your mom came to say HI." It was absolutely incredible. Called my sister & we both just cried our eyes out, but it was really sort of a joyful experience! Life is so random! 

• txstardust
    txstardust Member Posts: 180
    Options

I love your dragonfly story! :)

Juannelle, you really took a beating.  But hearing that you're expecting a full recovery - that is such great news!  You've got lots of people rooting for you. :)

Phillippa, what a harrowing experience!  Take it easy, my friend.

I went for tests yesterday - no cancer, whew!  I kinda freaked out when the gyn/onc asked for the CA-125 test and said he was a little worried.  But, he also had my hormone levels tested, and it turns out that I am no longer in menopause.  The enlarged ovary and the uptake are most likely indicative of a developing egg - and I can be expecting a period soon.  I'm not exactly looking forward to that - I have truly enjoyed my reprieve from menstruation - but, I'd rather hear that than find cancer.  Unfortunately, that also means I'll be looking at yet another surgery to have those darn ovaries removed, since my prior Tamox experience wasn't so great.  If I never have another surgery again, it will be too soon.

Hugs and love to all! 

• mimi1964
    mimi1964 Member Posts: 851
    Options

So glad to know Juanelle is doing better and she and John are actually at home now :) for those of you that don't visit FB... Can't believe it's almost time for school to start back here and in many areas soon.  Time sure does fly!! The holidays will be upon us soon.  Hope you all have a great week. 

• c2will
    c2will Member Posts: 27
    Options

Hi all,

I haven't been here in ages.  My husband and I moved recently from NJ and FL to NC (yes, we were commuting for WAY too long).  We're happy to finally be in one location, which happens to be an over-55 community.  Now I have to find new doctors here, but the health care in this area is really good.  It's time for my annual mammogram, I'm hoping for good results again.

Juannelle - I'm glad you and your husband are on the mend, that had to be a scary experience.

I hope you all enjoy the remainder of the summer.

• MarieK
    MarieK Member Posts: 467
    Options

Hi All!

I too haven't been on here in ages but I just read through and I'm glad to see posts from some familiar names.

It's nice to know that you are doing well or recovering (One-L!!!). 

It seems that whenever anything BC happens it's like a trigger and I check the boards.

I'm doing ok - but I just heard via Facebook that Suz45 is in hospice.  I lost touch with her in January (?) and at the time she was battling mets but responding to treatment.  I guess that changed...

Michele I totally missed that you had reconstruction.  How did that go?  Are you happy with the results?

I had a second reduction on my natural side in January and I'm much happier with my symmetry.  I will be having some fat grafting in the fall to address some rippling (thin radiated skin stretched over implant) and build up an area for a nipple on my implant side.  I'm looking forward to this all being over and if I can get a side benefit of a flatter tummy out of it I'll be good with that.  I can't believe that this will be my 5th surgery!

Shelby I'm shocked to read to that you might be menstruating again soon.  I remember discussing the ooph with you - I was scheduled to have one the summer (2010) after my dx (2009) but opted not to since chemo put me into menopause and blood tests confirmed it.  I have to say that I am really enjoying not having a period! 

I was given the choice of switching to Armidex but opted to stick with Tamoxifen (onc said it was ok).  I had some headaches and other side effects from the Tamoxifen but those seem to have subsided.  I still have the occasional leg cramp and my neck/jaw/ear is still driving me crazy. It started the summer after my dx so I'm not sure if that's from the Tamoxifen or the Zometa (stopped after 3rd infusion).  It could also be stress - I've had xrays and scans and seen an ENT but all the drs agree it's muscular.  I did see a massage therapist who gave me some relief but it's hard to fit that into my busy schedule on a regular basis.

My hubby thinks its from carrying my heavy purse and he may be right!  I think it's a combination of all the above...

I see my ONC again in September and will have blood work, chest xray and mamogram later this month.  I'm sure you can all relate to the stress before and after these tests!  My last bloodwork showed an increase in one of the cancer markers (still within the acceptable range) so I'm worried that it might increase again indicating something else is brewing.  I hope to see that number go down to where it was before.

I don't know about you but I haven't been able to really relax since my dx.  I feel so wound up and anxious a lot these days. 

It's just this time in my life - not just the bc but also raising teenagers!  

My husband and I are going away this weekend to "relax" but the worry over leaving my 17 year old at home ALONE is causing me stress!

Wish me luck...

Marie 

• ColoGal
    ColoGal Member Posts: 3
    Options

3 years ago today, I was in surgery having my left breast removed.  To date, my body has managed to stay cancer free, so far as MRI/mammogram/Ultrasound detection methods can tell. I feel like I'm forever going to be looking over my shoulder for the other shoe to drop.  Most days, I don't really think about it anymore. But today, I'm just filled with so many emotions. Grateful to have had a skilled surgeon, grateful to be cancer free, grateful for my friends and family who supported me through this hellish ordeal.  I know I am fortunate to have been treated at stage 11b, and that it could have been alot worse.  But I look back on this experience and I am filled with the same saddness and proround sense of loss, as I have when I remember friends who have passed away.  I miss my old self, I miss my natural breast, I miss talking freely about the  long term such as my nieces  and nephews going to college, getting married (at least another 15years for that).  I'm such a difficult cancer patient.  I just can't muster that polly-annish "everything is sunshine and rainbows" attitude that so many people seem to expect me to have just cause I have survived 3 years. Cancer sucks and there's no cure in sight, just more crappy pink merchandise on the store shelves. I swear if if someone gives me one more pink peice of crap, I'm going to puke - lol. I wish that I didn't have to be here, I don't want to identify as a breast cancer survivor, yet on days like today, this is the only place where I know I always have the freedom and support to be entirely honest and authentic.

• mimi1964
    Options

Hi Marie nice to see you on the boards again.  I really hate to hear that about Suz45.  It makes me sad :(  If anyone is in contact with her or her family please let them know I will be praying. 

Everyone take care of themselves.  Right now I am working nights (I hate it) and all I have time to do is sleep, eat and work.  Currently I am sick with bronchitis and sinusitis.  Ugh! I hate it.  Gotta make myself go to the doc.  Ok enough complaining.  Love and Hugs to you all

Renee

• micheleboots
    Options

Cologal, I am sorry it has taken me so long to post a big fat welcome to you.  I know it is a sucky road we have to travel, but think without cancer you would never have met some of the wonderful women on these boards...

Marie, good to see you back.  It sounds like your hubby wants you to go shopping for a new purse, and we all know that means at least one pair of matching shoes...How did the weekend go leaving you kid at home alone...any big parties?

OI have question for you ladies.  I have  friend who is having a dbl mx followed by immediate TE then implants..  Her doc. is scaring her by telling her that she will be in so much pain she will be on meds for a long time...Has anyone had this much pain? 

• micheleboots
    Options

Renee, Suz45 passed away a few weeks ago...

• JustmeAlicia
    JustmeAlicia Member Posts: 629
    Options

Michele ~ I had a double mx and tissue expanders.  I spent 1 night in the hospital and then came home with drains which stayed in for about 7 days. When I woke up after the surgery, I will say it was the worst pain I ever felt in my life.  The nurses came running and pumped stuff into my iv.  When home she needs lots of pillows in bed, I took pain pills for maybe 3 days then switched to tylenol.  It is certainly not easy but somehow it is doable.  Good luck to your friend, sorry she has to join our club.  UGH ~ 

So sad to hear about Suz45.  Just hurts to lose a sister and scares the crap out of me.

Hugs,

Alicia 

• mimi1964
    Options

MIchelle after I posted that I went to her profile and did some reading I saw that Suz passed.... I am sorry to hear that :(

• c2will
    c2will Member Posts: 27
    Options

Went for my mammogram today.  It's funny how the experience feels and smells the same (lovely hospital gown smell) no matter what state you're in.  My only complaint with the facility at Duke is that EVERY magazine I tried to read while waiting was missing the pages I wanted to read!  Life is good when that's all you have to complain about.  There was a little anxiety while I waited for them to compare and review today's results with last years, but I got a good report.  My shoulders can finally relax a little. 

• micheleboots
    Options

Carol, good to hear it all went well today.

• magob
    magob Member Posts: 242
    Options

Hello Ladies - to each and every FABULOUS one of you!  Its been way too long.  Sending love and lots of it.  

There's lots to catch up on here.  I'll continue to read and find out how everyone is doing, but couldn't stand it any more and had to send a big hello and a cyber smooch to you all.  

I'm doing just great, and routine tests in July looked A-OK.  HOORAY!

Been thinking about all of you, and have read about your surgeries, scares, motorcycle accidents (ouch!), and good stuff like weddings and regular, happy, blessed life.  Its nice to know you - you're good wimmin.  

Have you read about the skeeters here in Texas?!  Practically the size of dogs.  West Nile virus and spraying and all of that craziness... exactly what does "mildly toxic" mean?!  If one tries to bite me, I'm biting back.  

Again, hugs and kisses.  Will try to get here to see you more often.   

Mary 

• practicalslayer
    Options

Hi I'm Claudia, aka practicalslayer.   I was diagnosed in Jan of 09 with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, and after my lumpectomy my doctor admitted to great surprise and pleasure that it had not spread to my nodes.  One effect of the admittedly (by my docs) high doses of chemo and radiation was neuropathy in my legs, feet, and on bad days, my arms and hands.  I was given painkillers for these, and when the pain became excruciating and a couple of nurses happened to witness it during a chemo treatment, I was given the duragesic patch, 50 mcg.  this was slowly increased to 100 mcg/every 48 hours.  After much pain and feelings of hopelessness and loss of self, I vowed to get off the duragesic (one interruption from a scheduled weaning was the discovery of cancer in our 13 year old daughter -- she developed thyroid cancer just as I was getting ready to find a new way to deal with the pain and her cancer diagnosis made it a very difficult time to be going thru withdrawals from pain patches, so I put it off for a few months/note; she had her thyroid removed and is doing beautifully.  Having just watched her mother go through losing her hair and stopping the car to vomit on the highway, etc., her diagnosis was frightening to her beyond words...and beyond what my stomach can handle to describe to you.  But she is shining now...and beginning to do some grieving in her own way - a good thing, of course) ANYWAY:  I ended up at a pain clinic and am now down to 37 mcg/every 48 hours.  Saw a neurologoist a few weeks ago who was finally able to tell me that if one still has neuoropathic pain caused by chemotherapy after 18 months, that one is likely to have it for life.  

Oh.

So.  Having grieved THAT, I am now on the trail of grants/sliding scale fees for alternative treatments...my gut tells me to start with acupuncture.  Btw:  I cannot take neurontin --- nearly fell flat on my face when I tried it, to say nothing of the nausea. It was completely debilitating....also:  I was and am estrogen negative...I mean REALLY negative...and my doc wants me taking arimadex anyway since I am progesterone positive and he says I MUST therefore have SOME estrogen in my body.  So.  Here's the thing.  In my newfound attempt to fight any recurrence actively, I have changed my diet and am seeing a psychotherapist (I am on medicaid, thank God) who has helped me to change my feelings about myself (more positive --- ha!  understatement of the year), and since then I have wanted to take care of myself...because I LIKE myself now...no small miracle.  

So I've started using DIM (and wow, I am having hot flashes so I guess I really DO have some estrogen left in there) and CELL FOOD, an oxygen supplement (among other things) thought to help with cancer since cancer cannot survive in oxygen.  I am also taking a high quality turmeric for my leg pain....and it's helping!  The whole family (all 3 of us have cancer: my husband has skin cancer, daughter thyroid (gone but we all know how cancer stalks us) and me, with my rising tumor marker numbers (I bet you anything they'll be down in next few weeks due to diet change and supplements)...so I just told my darling husband and daughter:  "look, we're not going to get sick again.  We are not getting cancer again, none of us."  And we are changing our eating and lifestyle habits...slowly.  

Has anyone else out there had the severe kind of pain I have for the past 3.5 years due to chemo-caused neuropathy?  And if so, how are you handling it?  

If you got through this tremendously long note, I thank you for reading.  Thank you for any experience you can share.  Sincerely and in Love, Claudia (practicalslayer) 

• micheleboots
    Options

Claudia, wow you have had quite the time.  I'm sorry your family has to go through this. I couldn't imagin how hard it was with your daughter being diagnosed with cancer, and at such a young age.  My daughter is also 13, so it scares me lot to think of her or my son having to deal with this. 

Sorry I can't give any personal input into yor pain.  Oh ya, welcome.

• mimi1964
    Options

Hi ladies hope everyone is doing great! I see a good many of you from this thread on FB but there are a few I don't.  WOW the holidays are fast approaching like nobody's business! Can you believe it?! and in 5 days it will be my 3 yr anniversary since my surgery Wink and I said good bye to the cancer that was inside me... Yippee!!!  (the radiation was just a formaility in my opinion) So everyone take care and have a great week

• kaza
    kaza Member Posts: 122
    Options

mimi1964    3years for me also - xxxx

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    Options

I got my diagnosis three years ago tomorrow.

• mimi1964
    Options

Seems like there are a lot of us celebrating our anniversaries this week... Happy Happy to us for being 3 yrs cancer free!!! Go us Pink Girls Rock!!!Wink