Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

WOW!! Fab catch Dianarose!!!

• biscuits
    biscuits Member Posts: 2,158

Dianarose that is a fantastic picture! I am not a fisher woman, LOL, so may I ask what kind of fish that was

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951

Thanks minus two and Barbe! It was exciting.

Biscuits- it is a Striper. When the tide comes in they will come in to feed on smaller fish. First ocean fish I ever caught. We do a lot of lake fishing. It's good therapy 🤗

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,908

Nice Fish! Even if he wasn't a keeper.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Dianarose, Whaddya have to catch to be a keeper, a whale? Yours looks like it had several good fillets on it.

Reading back a few posts, to Momine's about the crying, I think there are better ways to let the OP know that it is o.k. for her to cry and for her mom not to. I didn't cry much with my first Dx. I cried a lot more with the second one, not only because it was even more serious but because I knew what it would mean...AGAIN. I'm glad my family members (all male) didn't get all weepy, although they did have the right to. If they had, I think I would have felt worse overall and it would have added to the burden of my having cancer. Crying, as an action, probably just denotes temperment or personality or individual reserve, things that have made up family dymanics since the societal formation of families, cancer notwithstanding. They have yet to make a universal road map for each of us to navigate with. The bottom line is, relationships and life do not stop with a cancer Dx. There is only "hard" and "harder," never "easy" so the coping skills of entire families are on the line.

• elimar

I tried a brand new coping skill for dealing with a looming cancer Dx...running away and forgetting about it!

My BFF (the Stage IV BC one) and I just celebrated 50 years of friendship by running off to Ireland. We both have Irish heritage and had never been there before so time to just do it. I know I have a history of writing whole travelogues on this thread, but please let me off this hook this time as that is not my mood at the moment. I'll just say it was a lovely escape, and the kissing of the Blarney Stone was merely a formality in both of our cases.

imageimage

This was also the first time I finally remembered to speak up at the airports and opt out being scanned/radiated for security, chosing the pat down instead. Cheap thrills!

• barbe1958

I have a pacemaker AND a cane and they HATE me at the airport security areas!!! I can see them going "riiiiiiiiiiiight" in their minds trying to place me as a terrorist..... They scan my cane but not my body.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,310

Wow Eli, What a great "get away". So glad you had a good time. And wonderful to celebrate 50 years of friendship. My "early" friends didn't make it this far, but I've got a couple that are at 46 years. My remaining BFF that I talk to all the time & would travel with is at 42 years ... and counting.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

I must have missed the invitation. After all, I am at 7 yrs and counting HugLoopyHappy

• nativemainer

Run away and kiss the Blarney Stone, what a great coping mechanism!

and ah, the trials of traveling. Why is it we feel we have to make the TSA people happy anyway? Oh, yeah, we want to get on the plane and run away and kiss the Blarney Stone!

• Dianarose

Eli-I have always wanted to go inside of a castle. Please share pictures 👍. So glad you got away😘

A Striper has to be at least 28 inches to be a ke

• elimar

Dianarose, Most of the castles are "hollowed out" inside. The upper floors were wooden and just rotted away over time, so just the stone exteriors remain. Not much to see in the classic ruins.

Good Luck to all with procedures and follow ups this month. The surgeon I had been talking to is doing a 180 on what he last told me about a thyroid surgery and sent me a treatment plan via registered mail. Has a doctor ever done that for any of you? (Rhetorical, because I think not.) I think I am being set up for him to pass me off onto somebody else. Probably because I want surgery on the parathyroid that is damaging me and don't want surgery on the thyroid cancer that is not. It's funny because I read the endocrine journals and articles, with a keen eye to the parts that comment about shared decision making, with patient wishes supposedly playing a part. My doctor must have missed that all that.

• minustwo

Eil - no joke? A registered mail treatment plan? That's definately a first. Hope you have 2nd & 3rd opinion docs in the works.

• elimar

Unfortunately, MT, there may not be another group of endocrine surgeons in my town, in my network. I actually liked this surgeon but he has surprised me by behaving so weasely now. I think this doc is trying to send me off to someone out of town (3 hrs. away) and I have no idea if my insurance will pay for it.

• minustwo

Eli - oh no. I'm so sorry you're dealing with rude snot docs.

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 74

Home recovering from my exchange surgery and found you. Not sure how I missed this group! I'm 49, 50 is right around the corner. Single mom to two teen boys and two adult sons, and ex wife to a horrid man (sorry...had to add that in). In regards to the crying conversation- I rarely cry. I always say my ex made me strong enough to go through cancer twice by being such a butt (maybe that is his purpose)?I cry in private, usually when I'm sleep deprived and my coping skills weaken. But I hope my kids don't feel like they can't express their feelings about this. Humm. Think it's time for another talk. Hope you're enjoying your Monday!

• eph3_12

BethL-I have one of those kind of ex's myself. Sorry you had to find us, but happy you are here. We have had some rip-roarin' fun on this thread!

• jenine
    jenine Member Posts: 1

Hello Group!!

I had my diep flap revision at the end of June!! I see the light at the end of the tunnel and am looking forward to the nipple reconstruction and tattoo, it has been a very long 2 years. Complete hysterectomy I had in Nov is making these summer months pretty horrible but knowing I'm almost done surgeries keeps me smiling :-)

• elimar

Welcome to both of you newly reconstructed ladies!

BethL, You might be less likely to get actual tears from your older-aged sons (sorry if that sounds sexist,) but I think they do like to be kept informed without having to ask a lot of "mom's breast" questions. Just going off my own experience with two manchilds myself. Oh, and by informed, I mean 50 words or less. (I wish I were only joking.)

• minustwo

Fifty words? Your older man-children actually will listen for 50 words? Even though my son came to be my primary nurse through all the surgeries, and a really good one, he is happiest with one or two 10 word sentences. Luckily that works well through email.

Welcome Beth & jenine.

• elimar

Once again you have busted me on exaggeration, MinusTwo! Thanks for keeping it real. Whahahahaha!

• Dianarose

Well I did something very stupid. We went to a wedding Saturday and I didn't think and had a few glasses of wine. With a blocked ureter that didn't work out so great. Worse pain I ever felt. I have never taken a pain Med in my life until then. I would have paid a million dollars for one! Stent going in on Friday. Pocket party but no alcohol for me

• elimar

Dianarose, Is that an overnight stay in the hospital, or what? I'm sure we can all be present in the pocket, and besides the usual libations we can easily have some "mocktails" (or I have heard them cleverly called "pregatinis" too, by those fertile young folks) on hand and my first luscious thought turns toward the watermelon with it being summer and all.

Or here's a good one...because cranberry juice is good for the kidneys/bladder, right?

• loral
    loral Member Posts: 818

Diana wishing you the best on Friday...Heart

Cucumber Mojito Mix – Yummy and Non-Alcoholic

Drink-up!

Non Alcoholic Mojito
  • eph3_12

Yummy! I have to work OT tonight from 6P-2A. I'll take one of each of the above and then the real thing when I get home!

• Dianarose

Elimar, as long as everything goes well it is day surgery.

The drinks look yummy 😘 The hardest part is no coffee in the morning

• nativemainer

No coffee in the morning is the worst part!

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

No coffee should simply be against the law. The mocktails look great. I wish morecplaces would make a point of serving yummy, non-alcohol drinks

• Dianarose

Found out I am not scheduled until 11. I would have liked it early. Less time to stress 😖

• barbe1958

Either way Dianarose, you know we will all be in your pockets. Give me a bit of extra room as I'm bloated with all this HEAT!!! We've broken 100 for a couple of days now...