Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• loral
    loral Member Posts: 818

Mac..in Michigan we stare out the window shake our heads and pray that Spring is right around the corner...we got 9" of snow yesterday, but Cleveland Ohio got 33", so I guess I can't complain.Loopy

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951

The fireplace is beautiful

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Ok I want the fireplace and the goodies!!!!! Yowza, looks good.

NO, don't have new report yet. Was supposed to be 7-10 days from the 8th! I am not worried, I am not worried, I am not worried!!!

• eph3_12

and the surface area was about and inch total square and then diamond cuts top and bottom so that it was stitched in a straight line, so I won't have a crater. Itches like a son of a bitch!!!!!

• kkuziel
    kkuziel Member Posts: 77

Nurse navigator called today to let me know my surgeon said he'd do the biopsy without seeing me in the office first. She asked when I'd like it. Told her first available (less worry time the better for me) she called back 20 minutes later said I had an appointment for tomorrow, Tuesday. Follow up appointment will be December 22. As soon as I hung up I got really scared. This is what I wanted, I wanted to know, but now I realize in 10 days my life could really change. I'm not a great adult. At 60 you'd think I'd be better at it, but in reality I'm about the same as a small child when it comes to the difficult things in life.

• macatacmv
    macatacmv Member Posts: 1,200

oh kk, it is really better to know and have a plan, if need be. You have us to go thru it with you. So you are having a biopsy tomorrow? What kind?

eph, I know you are not worried! he,he. No news is good news, right? nice that it is a straight line. Are you allowed to moisturize the stitches. Are they dissolvable? I had to go to my PCP one time and get a dissolvable stitch removed. I know they can itch like crazy.

thanks Diana, my kids don't like me playing with fire anymore. I have an electric log insert. Just push the button and instant fake fire!

loral, sounds like a plan for a Michagan winter.

• Fightingirl
    Fightingirl Member Posts: 328

Hi! I'm 43 and diagnosed on November 8th with IDC. Is it normal to not be given a stage of your cancer prior to surgery? I would guess it can change obviously but my BS said no stage is given until surgery

• macatacmv

fightingirl, I believe you have to wait to get the path report from the surgery to be staged. I am sure someone smarter than me will be along to give you a more informed answer. When is your surgery?

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

kkuziel, That's a real Catch-22. I mean, of course you would like to find out if things are B9 so you would not have it hanging over you on Christmas Day; but if it goes the other way, then you will really be getting the bomb dripped on you just as you head into the holiday week. Who needs that visit from the ghost of BC Christmas past? Not you. If you could stand it, maybe you would rather just call for the results on the 26th? I don't know what I would do in your situation. What a tough call!!!!!!

I'm not a great adult. At 60 you'd think I'd be better at it, but in reality I'm about the same as a small child when it comes to the difficult things in life.

kk, So honest! You and most of the rest of us, no matter how much we try to overcompensate for it.

Fightingirl, welcome. Stage is dependent on size and also whether lymph nodes are involved, so while sometimes stage might be "suggested" after imaging, you really cannot get accuracy until the surgical pathology is done. You can usually find out about Grade (which characterizes the aggressiveness) and also whether it is ER+/PR+ or HER2 dependent. Look for that info. in your biopsy report. However, that info. may also be subject to change on the final surgical path. report. Do ask for copies of all your reports. So much easier than trying to remember it all.

• Fightingirl

Thank you for replies! I guess I am just anxious to know everything. My surgery is scheduled for January 6th. I am ER+, HER2-, Grade 2 and so far I'm told 2cm. Is the measurement usually pretty accurate from what you guys know? I keep hearing that it's often bigger. I've decided to go with a lumpectomy - genetics testing helped...no evidence of known high risk genes. I'm so happy I found this forum. I have not known anyone who has had breast cancer so I have nobody to talk to who understands. I have a very supportive husband and family but there are things they can't understand. I'm exhausted all the time...I'm trying my best to keep up with my normal activities and I'm sure the exhaustion is more mental. Trying to keep a brave face on for everyone all the time...I feel like I need to reassure everyone else I'm okay. I do know that I will be fine...I really have no doubts, it mostly is that I don't know everything I need to know and what the next few months or longer will look like. I'm a planner and I can't plan for anything right now!

• stellamaris
    stellamaris Member Posts: 313

Fightengirl, I know you want to know what you are dealing with, and the waiting is hell. Unfortunately, there is no way to know anything for sure until after the surgery and path report. Conjecture can make you crazy. One thing I found out is that the waiting between dx and path reports can be excruciating. I took up knitting lol. Keep checking in and let us know how things are going for you. Feel free to rant and rave. We have been there and we know how awful this period is. Every BC is as unique as the woman is. It depends on the type of tumour, e.g. ILC or IDC or other. Hormone levels, node involvement, genetics. As far as planning is concerned, try to let that go. Sometimes the first tx doesn't resolve the cancer right away. I had lx and did not get clear margins, so more tx is needed. I am not trying to frighten or upset you, but this is a "one step at a time" process. My BS told me before my first surgery that full resolution could take up to a year. Mostly it is a waiting game. Wait for surgery, wait to heal, wait for rads, wait to heal....hang in there. You will get through this. I am 1.5 years out from 1st surgery, including reconstruction, and still have minor tweaks to be done in the spring. Your onc team will guide you through, and this forum is awesome when you need to vent or have question, but we can only share our experience, which can give you an idea of what is to come. Usually, lx is followed by rads, and than 5 years hormonal meds. That is the straight line. Wishing you the very best. Hugs

• eph3_12

Fightengirl, everything and I mean everything, you expressed, was me 7 years ago. It is do-able; difficult, but survivable. Hang in there!

• Fightingirl

Thank you! I will...I guess at least I have the holiday time to keep me busy until surgery day. I will just need to learn to let it all fall into place. I like what you said Eph2_12...do-able, difficult, but survivable!

• macatacmv

I'm so glad, fightingirl, that you have a support system in place with your family and husband. Let yourself relax around them, you are not in a normal situation, so trying to "keep up with normal activities" can slide. Ask for help!

It doesn't really matter what  we plan, we have to take stuff day by day. Life takes on a whole new meaning, enjoy your family, try not to exhaust yourself by say ; cleaning the house, grocery shopping for a feast, conserve your energy, you need it for healing!

No brave face needed here!

• kkuziel

Frightengirl, sorry you're in this place. Been there, done that, and am doing it again. Like everyone says relax as much as possible (should probably take that advice myself) feel free to vent here all you wish. We've all been through it. Not fun, but educational, in many ways. Going through this a second time I'm armed with more info about what to expect, but mostly about what I am capable of doing. You'll amaze yourself at how strong you are, even when you think you are falling apart.

• elimar

kkuziel, Did you have a Freudian typo-slip? You called Fightengirl FRightengirl. Ooops! Happy

• elimar

Got that Christmas spirit yet? I'm working on it. Posted some "Ugly Christmas Sweaters" up at the top. Yes, pretty bad; but there are one or two I could see myself actually wearing. If you have minute, and want to impress us all with your own vision of bad taste, find and post what YOU think is the ugliest Christmas sweater. (Don['t be afraid to check your own closets. Hehehe!)

• elimar

Allegedly for breast-feeding moms...yeah, right....

• kkuziel

Elimar, I was probably projecting how I feel right now. She's a fighting girl, I unfortunately am a frightengirl. Getting worse by the day. I am not feeling at all good about mynew development.

• elimar

kk, That will be 5 cents ma'am.

• eph3_12

I am fond of this one!
  • minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,306

Oh Eph - what a hoot. Thanks for sharing. Sorry Eli - the breast feeding sweater doesn't do it for me.

• loral
    loral Member Posts: 818

Image result for ugly christmas sweaterThumbsDownSickTired

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

That wins.

• eph3_12

Yes it does!! MY EYES!!! I can't unsee it!

• elimar

Hmmm, I could have sworn I left a comment to Eph's sweater entry, calling it an instant classic. Where'd that post go?

Ye Gads, Loral, my retinas are bleeding!

Keep the acrylic atrocities coming...

• macatacmv

love the sweaters. my gosh, who thinks up and then talks someone into making them!

I have lost the ability to copy and post lately. hopefully it will come back. I was talking to a service rep. today about getting my (pretty darn new) range hood repaired today. She was complaining about her computer being so slow. She said, just that little circle going 'round. I said, that's what my brain is doing most of the times these days. hardly a chuckle from her, I've got a belly laugh going on! Some people just "don't get it" (my humor)

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951

Had round six of chemo yesterday. Six more to go. Not sure if the plan after that. Going Thursday to have some dye put in my kidney to see if the tube can come out or just change it out again. Bet you know what I'm hoping for. Hubby and I had some intestinal bug. That was fun, not

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Glad to hear you're mostly status quo Dianarose. Damn bugs though!

Mac I thought that was funny about the circle going around. With me it's the hour glass spinning in my head! I introduced myself to someone at my new job by saying "Hi, my name is Paul."

• macatacmv

ha ha , barbe, I , too, never know what's going to come out of my mouth.

I'm going to post a funny that I know this group will appreciate.