Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• loral
    loral Member Posts: 818

kkuziel- just not knowing is what causes the anxiety, try to have a nice holiday!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Last year during the holidays I got to hold my first granddaughter after 4 grandsons! I held her on my chest right over the biopsy bandage wondering if I'd see her grow up...

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

No MOHS. According to my guy, not really an option on melanoma. .07 on a scale of .01-1.0; considered "thin melanoma". Have to wait about a week to find out re: margins. If margins aren't good, 2nd excision, twice as big as today which in my opinion, was big. Melanoma itself was about the size of a nickel. He took that + tissue surrounding and then the whole thing was diamond shape so the resulting scar would be a line. Where it is though is where arms/shoulders etc move from, on right side and right handed. He said to expect that the incision will expand some just because I won't be able to not use it. I am optomistic; it's all I can be.

On another note, so sad about John Glenn. I idolized him as a kid.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,306

Eph - glad it's done and hoping the margins are clear.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Eph, the one good thing is you got it done now. I know you have to get the path. results but I do hope this will be the end of it. You don't have to impress the importance of a cute vs. an ugly scar on me. I have scar-o-phobia, and the jury is still out on what my neck is going to look like. I think the scars need to be as invisible as possible. I don't like looking at those souvenirs at all.

kkuziel, I always feel sorry for the women who get BC scares or, worse, BC diagnoses at this time of year; but face it, there is NO good time to get that kind of news. I don't know much about calcifications. It seems they are a sign of something being wrong, but how wrong I don't know. If B-9, I think the area has to be especially watched in the future. If not B-9, well, you know the drill. I know why you might feel calmer this time around...because you already have knowledge and you already have a team in place, if need be. Seek out your own moments of joy this holiday season and do not let BC rob you of it. That is fighting cancer too.

I say this every year to any and all ladies in active treatment: DON'T SWEAT THE HOLIDAYS. The holidays take energy you might not have. So what if the halls are not decked? Delegate if you want to. If not, you can down-size this year and if anyone balks about that, remember it says more about them than about you. Real friends and supportive family will understand. DO FOR YOU THIS YEAR, and be shameless about it.

• Lita57
    Lita57 Member Posts: 2,338

Wonderful advice, El.

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951

eph- so glad you were able to get this done quickly as we know waiting makes areinds think the worst and plays mind games. Praying for all clear margins and quick healing.

Had chemo number 5 yesterday and all went well. Blood work is still improving and white cells bounced back from the low of 2.3 to just over 10 ! Daughter is here until Monday so going shopping today and baking tomorrow for a family gathering. So thankful that I pulled through to enjoy all this. Life and is and I feel blessed.

• loral

Diana and Eph...the power of Prayers!

Enjoy the day.

• eph3_12

any of you nurse type folks able to translate: "This is a thin melanoma, with a junctional component
    prominently involving the biopsy margins, and with invasive

melanoma very close to the margin as well. Complete excision

including a rim of normal skin is recommended.
    "

• barbe1958

I'm not a nurse but I think you and I both know it means they gotta go back in. Hugs sweetie!

• eph3_12

yes, they went in yesterday. That path is from the 1st biopsy. Next path report in 7-10 days they said

• elimar

Awww, Eph! The saying is "three time's the charm" but I'm now hoping it is just two times for you. Also, I personally think there should be some kind of do-over discount. Pffft! Like that would ever happen. Pay 'em & pay 'em again. Sheesh!

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700

I agree, elimar! You know how I don't trust doctors, maybe they do that on purpose...

Dianarose, I am so very happy that you have recovered so well, and that you trusted your nose! Stupid doctors! I used to have admiration for that profession, helped along by tv doctors, esp of the "House" variety.

Eph, I really wish they would have biopsied much sooner, and really hope they get it all THIS TIME!!!

• barbe1958

But Joni, they might have gotten it all this time! Last time was just the biopsy and not the excision. So that makes sense.

• elimar

Barbe, I don't think biopsy works that way with skin cancer. I know Eph said "biopsy," but it is an excisional biopsy, much the same as if you get a whole breast lump out and they do path. on it. (I'm harkening back to the olden days before the old leather punch, when excisional biopsy was the standard to find out just what a breast lump was.) For melanoma, they generally try to take all the lesion that they can see and send it out for a micro-look at the cells that they could not see. In Eph' case, on the micro-look, hers was starting to branch out further than they thought, so a second go-round was needed. Let's hope they did get every last cell this time.

Eph, do you have a "crater" on your back now? Just say "pencil eraser," "mellon baller," or "Diamond Head" to indicate the general size of the area that had to be removed. (Sorry, Ebaying all day just makes me a little wacky.)

• Dianarose

imagemade some eclair for the family Christmas gathering

• Dianarose

imagecookie platter with some French cream horns

• Dianarose

imagesalt and pepper braided bread. I was tired afterwards but felt good to be me for a

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

Diana, you crazy woman you! Those look sooooooooo good!

Eph, not a nurse either, but it seems to me that "thin" is good. In other words, the blasted thing hasn't moved downwards. Hope they got it all this time.

• Momine

Eli, where is that crater? I seriously want that little house in the middle of the crater.

• loral

Diana...all looks yummy!!! Glad you are feeling better.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,908

My mouth is watering!!!

• barbe1958

But I thought Joni already had her biopsy and surgery? She said this was the report from the biopsy so maybe the excision/surgery did get it all. Ever hopeful......

• macatacmv
    macatacmv Member Posts: 1,200

eph, glad you made it thru the excision work so far. Hopefully it is done!

I never trust docs when they say things like "little pinch", "you'll be fine", "oh yeah, just plan on 3 days off work"

barbe, still wanta see some pics of my renovation? Eli, is this the thread to do that, or should I go over to the older wise woman site?

Ha Ha I now take vitamins that say Vitamin Code for "50 & Wiser Women". I don't feel any wiser yet!

Diana, wow you have such a gift for baking, thanks for sharing the virtual yummies. I am off sugar right now, but sure can appreciate those.

When I saw my derm. last week, (boy, a day off island knocks the stuffing outta me these days). I saw a resident first who went over me with a fine tooth comb, then after discussing my "case" with the doc, the big guy came in and went over me with a fine tooth comb and a ruler (measuring my new moles) But I only had 2 places frozen and then I was released to once yearly visits. Happy news!  

kk, (shortening your name cause I just cannot retain info), yes I agree with others just enjoy your holidays and family time! A few weeks won't change much!

That being said I was one of those that they raked over the coal for the holidays. So every year now I have my tests on my surgery anniversary which is 3 days before Christmas. oh fun!

I did go on a great trip after getting the news that my mammo was not "right"! I went to CO for my birthday that year and saw my DD. We took a hot air balloon ride over the snow covered landscape! It is one of my most cherished memories.

So all that to say Do SOMETHING good for you! Ya wantta see the rockettes go for it! What do y'all do in Michigan this time of year aside dig outta the snow!

Oh yeah, before I forget! My big present to myself this year is tickets to see Eric Clapton in Madison Square Garden!   I'm going with my DD and her BF, they are not sitting right with me, but I don't care I'm gonna have a blast! It's not until March, tho.

• barbe1958

Mac show renos here!!!!!

• macatacmv
    macatacmv Member Posts: 1,200

Here is my beautiful fireplace!

• elimar

mac, that stone masonry is beautiful! You'll have to post another with a blaze going sometime. Will wait for review of E.C.

Barbe, Eph had the first surgery (which she called biopsy, but it was a surgery and the path. on it did not have clean margins) and the we all commented and somewhere in the middle she mentioned she did have a re-excision surgery, but is waiting on the path. on that second one. So, we will find out about her this week.

Middies...I think it's time to road trip...

Dianarose, So you would not be at all surprised if a whole cross country caravan of your closest BCO friends just showed up to eat some of those goodies, would you? I wish our Marybe could have feasted her eyes on your baked goods...she would have had the utmost appreciation.

Momine, Since it is a fantasy caravan, I guess you can just flap your wings and get over to Maine also. Bring us some melomakarona, please.

• Momine

Oh, melomakarona are simply the best cookies ever.

• barbe1958

Mac that is stunning! I think the last I saw you were wondering about painting in between beams. Funny, since I have since moved into a 197 year old house with beams in the kitchen! We painted the beams dark charcoal, almost black and red in between with a small white cornice around the perimeter. There are 4 large windows above the sink counter, each about 2x4 feet going up. When we replace the windows were going to put in ones with black mullions. I LOVE that look!

• barbe1958

So what I was saying about Joni is right. I got it. Joni do you have the new report yet????