Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Options

Comments

• piperkay
    piperkay Member Posts: 132
    Options

Yum, Cheetos! They've tasted good to me all my life, even during chemo. But just the plain ones for me. <3<3<3

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,883
    Options

I'm not reviving this thread, but putting down a brief postscript...

A couple weeks ago, I passed my 10 year BC-free date. I did not celebrate it. Actually, I gave it thought a few days before, but then totally forgot it on the actual date, only thinking of it again a few days later. (That's not chemo brain, either. It just was not uppermost in my mind anymore.)

A week ago, my BFF of 50+ years, who is like a sister to me, went into hospice. She has had ILC bone mets since 2013 and, since last Fall, also has mets in her cerebro-spinal fluid.

So there we have the juxtaposition of my life. I am not living with BC anymore and yet I AM still living with it. I don't think any of us women can truly be free until there is a CURE.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,104
    Options

Eli - so sorry to hear about your BFF. I'll keep you both in my thoughts.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,817
    Options

El--so sorry to hear about your BFF. I think you are right, it never lets us go completely and it won't until there is a cure.

• Ainm
    Ainm Member Posts: 362
    Options

Hi All,

It's been a long, long time since I posted anywhere on BCOrg. But today is a milestone for me so I wanted to check in. It's lovely to see some of the names I remember from the last time I was here (about 5 years ago). I hope that the reason I don't see some of the names is that because, like me, things just got kinda busy and BCOrg got relegated to the background. So many people on the threads here were such a strength to me - Meece, Patoo, Eph3_12, elimar, kfinnigan, NativeMainer, Badger etc. and everyone on the E-LAB thread, especially all the Roadrunners!!!

Anyway if any of you are reading this - Thank You!! You are a great gang of people.

Today in 2009 I had my last round of radiotherapy. I remember being very happy but insecure - I didn't know what the future would hold or even if there would be a future. But here I am and although I can't say that the past 10 years have been a doddle, I'm here to say that, although I nearly murdered my husband every time he said "there's light at the end of the tunnel" while I was going through treatment, he was right!! But don't tell him I said that.

Cancer is never far from my mind or my family - I've lost close relatives and friends to cancer over the years. At present numerous members of my family are going through cancer - some will not win the fight.

My family don't go in for celebrating cancerversaries with me - they think it's best to leave these things in the past. And to be honest I'm not 'celebrating' it's more being thankful and God knows I feel guilty about it sometimes too because others haven't had the luxury to think about 'after treatment'. But I know my BCOrg family will understand and join me in my little moment of achievement!!

Love and Light to all

especially to my BCOrg angels - gone but never forgotten - Heidi_Ho xx PauldingMom xx Kbugmom xx Saint xx and all those other angels xx

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 570
    Options

Ainm- Congratulations on your 10 years! Your post was very sweet.

• nativemainer
    Options

Ainm--HOORAY for your accomplishment of living life after bc treatment!We do tend to move on over time, either in the direction of sendingBCO to the background or to other threads. So good to hear from someone doing well.Glad you checked in and I am happy to celebrate (for lack of a better word) with you and understand the guilt that can come with survivorhood.Prayers for the angels among us.

• mpv459
    mpv459 Member Posts: 83
    Options

I belong here and glad to find this topic. I was diagnosed in May and have had surgery, AC, 6/6 Taxol and getting ready to start radiation when finished with chemo.. I have two adult children, one married with a beautiful grandson and another single. I care for my 94 year old mother with no family assistance. Struggling through all of this with a stage 3 breast cancer diagnosis and looking for others who have traveled or will travel this road.

• minustwo
    Options

mpv - sorry you've had to join BCO. Just to let you know, this thread is not active. There are a number of other threads that you may find of interest, but the 'founder' no longer monitors or facilitates this particular thread. Ergo - the closed sign in the header. Wishing you the best in finding one that gives day to day support.

• deborah2012
    deborah2012 Member Posts: 58
    Options

Hello MPV. Sorry to learn you are sandwiched and triaging multiple needy people- especially yourself. In my area of California you dial 211 and it is a free referral agency (government sponsored) that locates assistance for people for services. You may also take solace in the airplane instructions: "put the air mask on yourself first, then to your children". Good luck.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    Options

Hi all, I have been away from BCO for a while, busy with work and life and a photo project.

I wanted photos that highlighted femininity and that showed me as a full woman in spite of the lack of boobs.

We just got published in Flaunt Magazine, so have a look!

https://www.flaunt.com/content/androgyne

If you have Instagram, please give the Insta post a like, to show Flaunt that their move is appreciated: https://www.instagram.com/p/B1pZhrrn0jV/

Hope everyone is doing well! Feel free to share the Insta link far and wide :)

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700
    Options

Momine, that's awesome!

• minustwo
    Options

Gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

• Momine
    Options

Tomboy and Minus, thanks for taking a look :)

• HoneyBeaw
    HoneyBeaw Member Posts: 150
    Options

Wow, those are Fabalous You did great

• Momine
    Options

Honey, Thanks!

• loral
    loral Member Posts: 818
    Options

Eli...Congratulations on being Free...I hit my seven years this month...Yes I think about it at times, a pain in the boob gets we wondering, but I have a 3D mammogram yearly along with a breast ultrasound, and everything looks good...I still see my Oncologist twice a year, he said we'll be friends for life, if that's what it takes I'm all in.....I'm sorry about your friend.

Hello to everyone else, I'm good just aches and pains from arthritis....

Loral

• Lamp
    Lamp Member Posts: 15
    Options

Awesome pics and writeup 💕

Thanks for sharing!

Keep well!

• kkuziel
    kkuziel Member Posts: 77
    Options

Glad to see some old “friends” still posting and doing well. I’ll be hitting the 8 year mark since diagnosis in a month. Doing well, health wise, personal life has taken some very unexpected turns which has been far more stressful than cancer was. But life seems to be all about change and I’ve been hit on the head with a big one over the past three years. Ready to put 2017, 2018, and 2019 to bed and looking forward to a less stressful 2020. Be well

• Iknewit
    Iknewit Member Posts: 12
    Options

Hi all,

Iam 41, and have been advised by my Oncologist to consider Tamoxifen for 5 years. I was wondering other than hot flashes, which I have all the time, did anyone notice loss of hair, leg pain etc. Iam still recovering from my left breast MX, about 1 month ago, had a 12 cm Dcis, that was supposed to be only 6cm, no radiation or chemo, but I have a high family risk. Unfortunately they never told me of hormone response factors, I was told it was because it was a MX. Either way nice to meet you all.

• nativemainer
    Options

Kkuziel--lifting a glass to a better, healthier and happier 2020!

Iknewit--ask your Onc again about the hormone receptor status, if they didn't test at the time of surgery there should still be some tissue being held in a tumor bank that you can get the testing done one. If the cells weren't ER+, there's no reason to take Tamoxifen, if they were ER+, it can be a great benefit to you.

• Walden1
    Walden1 Member Posts: 110
    Options

My MO wants to switch me from Zoladex to buserelin, for ovarian suppression. Anyone else using buserelin? What can I expect

• minustwo
    Options

Walden - this is not an active thread. You could start a new thread specifying 'buserelin' or post at the chemo or surgery threads or hormonal supplement threads where you previously posted.

• Momine
    Options

Lamp, thanks so much. 2 of the photos are currently in the gallery sho Body Beautiful in NYC at The Untitled Gallery.

• roareus
    roareus Member Posts: 68
    Options

Hello...

I have not been here for a long time and unfortunately, it seems like I only come here when I am scared.. I am constantly feeling my breasts because I am afraid I will miss something. On Saturday Night, early Sunday Morning, I squeezed my left nipple and a drop of blood came out. Nothing on the cancer side, my right side. So, needless to say, I am worried about the worst. I am scared that it may be back. All I can think about is my elderly parents, husband, and my sweet 8 year old twins. I am going to see the NP tomorrow. HELP!!

• kkuziel
    Options

ROAREUS, Hoping for quick answers. We all fear a reoccurrence.  No matter how many years pass I just keep thinking one of these times it will come back. Hoping you get the all clear. 

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 570
    Options

ROAREUS - Hoping all turned out well for you. The reoccurrence scare is like a cloud that hangs over us. Hoping some sunshine comes through that cloud for you.

• paddlinlou
    paddlinlou Member Posts: 10
    Options

I’ve been on Letrazole for past 3 yrs and have progressed to osteoporosis. I am trying to decide between Prolia injections or Boniva treatment.

Does anyone have experience that they can share?

Thanks

Louise

• minustwo
    Options

Louise - most insurance wants you to try the oral biosphosphonates first (like Boniva). Some people have problems taking those. My Osteoporosis was caused by the various chemo infusions. I know my GYN and my MO both played the cancer card to go directly to Prolia. It's really convenient for me to go for one shot every 6 months. And my osteoporosis improved to osteopenia and now almost back to normal.

Prolia (and other drugs) can cause osteonecrosis of the jaw, but the risk is usually only if you have major mouth issues - like an extraction. In any case, get all you dental work done first.

There are lots of threads discussing Prolia if you go to the search area.

• kkuziel
    Options

Paddlinlou- Same situation - my oncologist wanted me to do Prolia - but my insurance said no. I have pretty good insurance - and this is the first time they have said no to any treatment or med. So I did risedronate sod 35mg with calcium supplements - So far so good going on 4 years. No issues with the med and bone health is back to pre cancer density - So at 64 I'll take it.