MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• bluegems
    bluegems Member Posts: 507

Faith - congrats on the book!

Barbe - love the new pic

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Thanks! My DD snapped that while I was changing my first grandchild diaper!!!! A VERY big moment in my life....really!

• PatMom
    PatMom Member Posts: 322

I definitely have a worse reaction to male cats than to female ones, but they all trigger an allergic reaction.

• faithandfifty
    faithandfifty Member Posts: 4,424

middies...............

I just started a 'new' thread at the top of the top of the list;

Compassion for Dr. Weiss

The founder of BCO has been dx w BC. There are several threads posted by the moderators with a video greeting from her telling us of her journey. 

I couldn't seem to post to the video, so started a new thread. 

PLEASE, watch the video and then post your compassion for her 'new' journey. 

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326

congratulations.gif congratulations image CindyL10 

FAITH...great news, I bet you're just beside yourself with joy.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Faith, I can't find your new thread.  Can you post a link into your message, or in a new message?

I went to the video that was in the Moderators forum, watched it.  That's too bad that Dr. Weiss was vague and cryptic about her individual cancer.  I would have preferred to have her at least give her Dx, like so many of us provide that information in our taglines.  I can understand the part that she might not want to go into detail for her treatment choice (as it might seem like an endorsement of that treatment, over other treatments.) 

She did say that mammo found her early cancer.  It sounded like she had Oncotype testing.  She still has her real hair.  She said she is regaining her energy.  My deduction is that she had a lumpectomy with radiation (maybe some kind of brachytherapy) and maybe estrogen blockers.  It is somewhat ironic* that she got B/C, given her field of work; but B/C is fairly indiscriminate about its victims so I can't say I am really surprised.  My hope for her is the same hope I have for every woman facing a B/C diagnosis...beat it, banish it, and put it in the past.  Survive on, sister!

(*My chiropractor lost his life to spine cancer.  Irony happens.)

• faithandfifty
    faithandfifty Member Posts: 4,424

Here's the link to Dr. Weiss' video announcement

http://www.breastcancer.org/about_us/press_room/press_kit/video/mw_message.jsp

Here's the link to the thread I started. (It's in the very first set of threads)

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/115/topic/758418?page=1#post_2004569

I can't seem to get the little link doodad to cooperate, but I think these are 'hot' just not very pretty.

Thanks middies, she is deserving of our admiration & appreciation -- publically.

Edited for my clarity.

It seems the first link -- to the video, goes directly to the video.

It seems the second link, to the thread doesn't go there??

You can find a place to express your apprecition for Dr. Weiss under the first segment of threads:

Celebrating our 10 year anniversary.

Then the thread is: Compassion for Dr. Weiss.

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611
    Content Has Been Removed
  • valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110

Barbe ~ Love the dogs have masters, cats have staff comment. When I was very little & my Grandma had lots of cats, I would try to touch them & it seemed they always, in my mind anyway, tried to bite me. Hence, I became afraid of them & never liked them. I don't like them marking their territory on me to this day. My DD's cat is okay, pretty much stays to himself when he's in my home; might he sense I don't have a "thing" for cats?!?

Barbe ~ I, also, like your new avatar pic. You can see how happy you are - & knowing what you were doing when it was taken explains it all.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,900

My favorite is Dog think YOU are God, Cats think THEY are God!

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

I have both cats and dog........I love 'em both equally and wouldn't be without either.

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

Dr. Weiss getting a bc diagnosis reminds me of Dr. Oz having a dangerous polyp lurking in his colon... Obviously, we only have vague ideas about what might be protective against cancer... bummer.

• cookiegal
    cookiegal Member Posts: 527

FAITH...UGOGRL!

Quick hi...have had limited internet the past week.

My arm situation remains...fluid! he he he

Went for ultrasound on it yesterday...no clots or vein malformations....still a mystery. When I exercise even a little walk..it gets worse!

Dr. W situation is a jaw dropper, but I guess one -in- eight is one -in- eight.

Cheeto baby pix is funny!

peace!

• CatbirdC
    CatbirdC Member Posts: 235

Those cats just make my day and make me laugh every day !!!!!

We have always had a dog and many times a cat too over the years so love both, but do prefer dogs if I had to say.  :o)

Yes...I agree whole heartedly that 1 in 8 is just that in our BC world.  And that was something too about Dr. Oz.  He was so truly shocked and it showed.

Catbird

• OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377

Joni, have my fingers crossed for you and soon she will be a very experienced driver!

Barbe, love your new pictue you look so happy and congrats on changing those diapers too...I haven't done that in about 13 years, I'd better practice as mine will be here in about 10 weeks.

I love dogs but just recently fell in love with kitties too. I had always been very allergic so avoided them but my friend has 2 Siamese and they don't bother my allergies at all hmmm?

Have a wonderful weekend!

• cookiegal

yikes...to make a long story short...my husband has had a very up and down summer.

The show he works on was cancelled, and he has spent the summer filling in on other shows.

Last week it looked like he had found a staff job, with the same company, meaning same insurance et all. He worked there all week, and never got any suggestions or negative feedback.

Today it turns out he didn't get it.

It was so confusing, he was even on the schedule for next week. He has to leave though, he can't freelance there or we lose severence and benefits. Sigh. He can go back as a freelance once severance is run out, but now we are on the COBRA clock. The insurance at my new job is really awful.

It just seemed like we were due some good luck, with all my medical drama this month.

At least he can clean the house while I work. 

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

Just took my baby kitty for her one year wellness visit so I don't have to worry about her once I start my chemo. Guess she is doing better than me. Even though she is still only 6 pounds the vet says that is just her metabolism.

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

heymoose, if they repeat next year, I'm there ... I'm sooo jealous!  I am looking forward to the small gathering in Williamsburg, VA in two weeks though ... I've never been there and always wanted to go, plus my sister is coming with me this time 'cause she's tired of hearing how much fun I have at my chat gatherings!!!

• PauldingMom
    PauldingMom Member Posts: 392

So great to hear Faith.. How much for a signed copy????? So proud of you.

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

okay, finally caught up reading all the posts!  love the scarecrows by the way Eli.  never been a cat person myself either - there are actually many of us out there!!  I wouldn't hurt one, but never owned anything but dogs, so that's where my allegience lies :)   Cookie - do you have any doubt that your sleeve is fitted properly?  I know you're in the NY area so I have to assume a qualified LE therapist and fitter checked you to make sure the sleeve fits, but what you describe sounds like classic ill-fitting sleeve syndrome.  Anyway you could find another therapist for 2nd opinion?  As for Dr. Weiss, I was shocked to see the video the other day on the main screen, but then realized, why should I be?  Even so, you'd think the cancer gods might look favorably on someone doing so much, right?  I might actually get to meet her in October!  I'm attending the Rock the Ribbon 10th Anniversary Bash as a guest :)   wooo hooo!!!  some of you know I participated in a video they were shooting for the occasion, and just got the word yesterday that anyone in the video, whether we made the final cut or not, are invited as guests to the event.  I am sooo psyched :)   If I do get to meet her, I'll give her a big but gentle hug from all of us, I promise.

• torigirl
    torigirl Member Posts: 748

Sistas,

Had my first T/C infusion today and still feeling pretty good.  I'm pretty sure it's the steroids still lingering around.  :)

I'm hoping things will continue to go fairly smoothly, but I am prepared to divide and conquer if they do not!

Always amazed at how supportive, caring and wonderful you all are!

Peace, hugs, and prayers for us all!

Tori

DE COLORES!

• chrissyb

Hey Elimar, where did you get my photo from?  I don't remember posing with the other girls!  Lovely pic!

chrissy

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

chrissyb, that photo was on the first day of Fall and we were enjoying some time on the deck, remember?   We had all been talking about how the treatments, not to mention middle-age, made our hair and skin so dry, and then some big black crows were flying overhead eyeing our Cheetos, but for some reason they were to scared to land.  I wonder why.

• chrissyb

Eli, you crack me up......which by the way is a good thing.......unlike the dry skin you mentioned...that also cracks me up...but in a bad way.      Who's glasses are you using when you look at us?.....I think we are gorgeous! and I don't care what the crows think!!!  Must have been on something the day it was taken, can't remember a thing.

• cookiegal

Marlegal....since I am all infected I can't wear the sleeve....I think the fit was pretty decent tho.

STOP THE PRESSES!

So we have Time Warner cable and there is a breast cancer channel, it's part of entertainment on demand, the pink ribbon channel. There is even a little blurb about BCO!!!!

• cookiegal

Marlegal....since I am all infected I can't wear the sleeve....I think the fit was pretty decent tho.

STOP THE PRESSES!

So we have Time Warner cable and there is a breast cancer channel, it's part of entertainment on demand, the pink ribbon channel. There is even a little blurb about BCO!!!!

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Wow!  I need to check and see if that is available here.  I don't know if Time Warner is associated with "Brighthouse", but before they changed their name, I worked for Time Warner.

• CatbirdC
    CatbirdC Member Posts: 235

Eli,

I'm sure we all have felt like "one of the girls" in your new picture at one time or other during this battle we're in.

Loved the cats and I copied that so I can go back and have a good laugh.

I've heard that Siamese don't affect lots of people as much as other breeds.  Hmmmmm  :o)

Catbird

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

When I was going through chemo a friend sent me "the laughing kitten" video.  the little kitten is laughing so hard it snorts.  I was in hysterics every time I watched it.  I can't find it anymore, there are a lot of knock offs, but they are just cheesy.

• nora_az
    nora_az Member Posts: 391

That's me too!!

I'm 47 and just got my diagnosis the beginning of September of this year. I will be having a double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction on Oct 13th

Things have been a bit crazy around this house, that's for sure!