MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Maya2
    Maya2 Member Posts: 244

PauldingMom, we have a Horse Riding thread over in the Lympedema forum (of all places). If you haven't already joined us, come on over. Bouncing on a horse has helped women with lympedema and it does wonderful things for the soul.

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

hey buds.  I was in VA for 5 days with some BCO chatters and just catching up now.  we had a great time but I'm still very sleep deprived!  have been on the fence about a flu shot and not even more so!  I've had miserable colds lately though, and the thought of getting a real flu might just take me to the doctor's office for that nasty shot.  welcome to the newcomers, I'm sure you'll be making this thread part of your usual routine ... it's a good one for sure.   have a good week everyone and I'll catch you on the weekend to make more silly posts :)

• PauldingMom
    PauldingMom Member Posts: 392

I had the flu shot last week. A little sore in the arm but that's it. Doc. said very firmly, "You need a flu shot." Either she really cares for me or she's sick of seeing me and listening to me whine. 

A while back I met a lady in my hometown who had just finished her surgery and was moving on to chemo and radiation. We became good friends and have enjoyed each others company. This Sat. we are trying to get together and celebrate the completion of her therapy. She's triple neg like me so radiation is the end of the treatment journey. Our DDs are going with us. I'll take pics. but the pic at the top of the page reminded me of us. 

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

I finished chemo right before the flu season 6 years ago.  It was a year that there was a huge shortage of the shots, and they were reserved for the elderly and at risk only.  My Dr definietly wanted me to have one so she wrote me a rx for mine because the dr offices didn't get them and I had to go stand in line for hours to get mine.

Still can't convince DH to go get his.

• cookiegal
    cookiegal Member Posts: 527

Mar...I hope you had a great time in VA!

• raeinnz
    raeinnz Member Posts: 553

Joni - geez - a person is away from the boards for a few days and what happens? so sorry to hear about your shoulder.  Sounds nasty - hope the surgeon has done a good job and that you heal quickly and well. 

I don't get flu shots. My hubby and I had one about 15 years ago and we both got the worst flu about 3 weeks later.  My dr hasn't ever suggested I get one since dx but then I didn't have chemo so my immune system hasn't been compromised.

I am actually less needle phobic than I used to be now.  Didn't have chemo but have had plenty through this process and the vast majority were painless and the rest were not any more than slightly uncomfortable.  Maybe I've just been lucky.

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

We actually have never had a flu shot. It's 9 days now since my first chemo. My doctor never mentioned getting one. I did get a neulasta shot so i guess she was not worried.

• Meece

I started getting the flu shots after two consecutive years getting the "Real Flu"  One bout made me lose 16 lbs in 10 days.  I was sooooo sick, so I'd rather have a reaction than the full blown real deal.

• Maya2
    Maya2 Member Posts: 244
    I've had 3 flu shots in my life. Likely won't get one this year either. Never had the flu. Knocking wood. Undecided
  • sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

I never took flu shots until the year of my DX.

Got it 2005-06-07-08.

Last year there was a little shortage and didnt have it.

Today I was at my DR the nurse asked me if I want flu shot, I said no.

I had 2 very mild flues  at 1981 and 1997.

Ladies you know your own bodies better than anybody else.

Hugs and good Health

• D4Hope
    D4Hope Member Posts: 37

I am 48 and have a 9, 11 and 13 year old. My oldest has mental health issues and I am tired all the time. I do push on because I don't have a choice. I thought breast cancer would never happen to me because I did not have a family history, boy was I wrong. I work at my kids old elementary school and I really enjoy it.

I look at all these posts and am just horrified at how many women get this diagnosis every year. There are so many of us and  Ipray for a cure every day. To all the brave ladies here, bless you.

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997

I always get a flu shot. I have had horrid cases of the flu in years long past. I can not imagine getting the flu now with a weakened immune system. Friends, we are the statistics you read about in the news columns written about flu fatalities. We are the people at hjighest risk.  Now is not the time to avoid flu vaccine. You may be fighting this fight only to needlessly and inadvertantly kill yourself.

Please consider exactly why you are resistent to receiving the flu vaccine? Ask your doctor any question you have.  He/she is best equipped to answer.

Your sister

Ginger

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

The one year I did get a flu shot was a year I was working in an elementary school; I got a different strain of the flu anyway.  I got numerous colds, strep throat, and fifth's disease from my year in that little petri dish.

I was urged last year by doctors to get it, then I heard (from a doctor friend) that the affiliated medical center doctors were all told to tell patients to get it.  I wasn't sure why the blanket statement was issued.  I guess I can see the need for anyone with a weakened immune system to get it.  I did not do chemo, and my white blood cell count was barely affected by radiation, so I did not feel at a greater risk during my "treatment year."  I did not get the shot.  I did not get the flu'.  There were some confirmed cases of H1N1 in my city, but it was not widespread here.   So, I am not planning to get a shot this year either.  I don't have needle phobia at all, I think I am just in agreement with Seyla.

Wanted to welcome D4Hope, our newest member to have her life derailed by B/C.  A lot of women here were blind-sided by the Dx, because we did not have family histories either.  I think it is something like only 15% of women who DO have the inherited genetic predisposition for B/C.  That's why we can't be too hard on ourselves, or think we did something "wrong" to cause our cancer.  No one really knows what throws our cells into such an uproar. 

My great grandmother had a mastectomy, and she lived the old school "organic" life of a farmgirl; had 10 kids, starting very young, so she had all those pregnancy cycles where her body's estrogen cycle was disrupted, but that didn't work in her favor as it is supposed to either.  When we start to figure out more accurately why most women get B/C, we will be one step closer to preventing it. 

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,900

Actually, if you look at the CDC statistics, H1N1 was never prevalent ANYWHERE.  Death rates did not come close to the predictions.  H1N1 is one of the 3 strains in the 'seasonal' flu vaccine this year.  Those who take the flu vaccine should be sure to ask for a brand that does not have Thimerosol (mercury) in it.  Contrary to popular belief, manufacturers are not reqiured to make mercury-free vaccines, and only a very few companies do.  Ask for a complete list of ingredients, or for a copy of the package insert/prescribing information.Somewhere in the small print you will find this info. 

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

I ahve no objections to the flu shot honestly i jsut did not think to get it and my docotor did not say anything before i started chemo. I work from home and i am staying away from crowds a lot espcially day 7-14 and i had the neulasta shot day after chemo. so hopefully i will be ok. I ahve to admit i am nervous.

• Meece

Welcome D4Hope.

Elimar, my youngest caught fifths at a major hospital.  My supervisor is the mother of a toddler in day care, and she is always sick.  Her supervisor has three young children, and I have never known him to be 100% well.  I just stay clear of those who appear to be infected with anything.  During chemo, I kept a spray can of Lysol on my desk, and requested anyone who was under the weather please don't come into my office.  They thought I was going overboard, but I never got sick during that period of my life.

Keep your hands clean and away from your nose mouth and eyes.

• elimar

Fifth's disease didn't even make me run a fever...but it gave me a bright rash on my cheeks (face cheeks!) like a six year old!  I looked perpetually embarassed for a couple days.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Hi girls.  Hope you are all recovering from the frantic "Columbus Day" shopping spree!

Had my 2nd official physical therapy appt today.  The therapist was astounded by my range of motion.  She said, & I quote, "most people would be estatic to have this range of motion after 6 weeks, much less 1 week post-op."  Feeling pretty happy & it's not from the Percocet (altho I do have one of those on board at the moment.) Many thanks for prayers & goodwishes...I know who's in control!

PS-on topic-last year I was given the h1n1 vaccine at one of my chemo appts.  Then got the "regular" shot a couple weeks later at one appointment or another.  This year, I got  the combo shot while in the hospital last week.  I don't mind the shots-I hate needles, but I hate throwing up more!!!!

• Meece

Ditto, Eph.   I hate to throw up.  Hope you are feeling better.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

much-thank you.

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

welcome D4hope. sorry you had to come, but glad you found US!! i was advised not to have shot last year, but this yr. i'll need to get it. am waiting for drs. appt. now. with ms and chemo last yr. i still don't have great immune system re: mrsa infect!  oh well... light and love 3jaysmom

• valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110

I had Fifth Disease a few years ago. Quite certain I got it while shopping & using a cart. I now always use a handi-wipe on the handle that they provide near the cart corral & only use the palms of my hands to touch/steer the cart. For a long time, I carried my own handi-wipes until the stores started to provide them. Never use my fingers to push or pull open the restroom door if I use the restroom other than in my own home. As Meecie has said, keep your hands clean & away from your nose, mouth & eyes.

I do not plan to get a flu shot, usually never get sick & do not work outside the home.

Welcome to the newbies ~ so sorry you had to join us here, but so happy you have found us.

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

hey guys, i'm missing something. never heard of fifth disease. what is it? l&L 3jaysmom

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,900

A nice summary of Fifth's disease from eMedicine:

"

Fifth's Disease Overview

Fifth's disease is a mild illness caused by a virus known as human parvovirus B19. The medical name for fifth's disease is erythema infectiosum (EI). It is seen primarily in school-aged children between 5 and 14 years of age during the spring and winter. Fifth's disease causes a reddish rash on the child's face so that it looks as if the child has been slapped on both cheeks.

• The virus is thought to spread via droplets in the air (respiratory secretions transmitted by coughs and sneezes) and blood from other infected people. Early during the illness, nasal secretions contain the viral DNA. Blood has been found to contain viral particles as well as DNA.
    • Cases of fifth's disease can occur either sporadically or as part of community outbreaks. Outbreaks occur mainly in elementary schools during the spring. Half of the cases occur from spread of the virus to others in the household. Transmission of the infection in schools is less common.
    • At least half of adults have had the infection and are unlikely to be re-infected. About 10% or fewer of young children are immune.
    • People with the illness are contagious before the onset of symptoms and are probably not contagious after they develop the rash. The incubation period from the time of acquiring the infection to the development of symptoms is usually between four and 14 days.
    • The name fifth's disease comes from a classification system used many decades ago. The five most common rashes (or exanthems) of childhood are traditionally recognized to be measles (rubeola), chickenpox (varicella), German measles (rubella), roseola, and the "fifth's disease" (parvovirus B19 infection)."
  • Meece

Good overview, NM.  My son was 7 months old.  The hospital wanted to blame some of us parents because many babies and young children got it, but we put it to gether that it was a nurses' aide was the link between each of our rooms.

The visual rash started with "Slapped faced" rash.  And then on the torso.  My little man had eczema and it took forever to get rid of the results of the rash.

• PauldingMom
    PauldingMom Member Posts: 392

Since I run a small in home day care I've seen Fifth disease often. I have a small gripe about parents who bring sick kids to day care. I've got one who's sister has strep throat. She is 2 and her Mom brought her in to my day care even though she was coughing, running a low grade fever and had a runny nose. HELLO!!! Just because you give her Tylenol and the fever broke doesn't mean she isn't sick. And since these sisters share everything, doesn't it cross your mind that she probably has strep too????  I allowed her to stay here for a few hours and then insisted she be picked up. Of course now all the other kids and my family have been exposed. Mom's excuse was she wanted the sister to get some rest. 
    Okay vent over. If your kids are sick, Tylenol is not a cure all. Keep them home and away from the rest of the general public.

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on B.C..org.  Smile 

• Meece

My children were exposed to chicken pox at Sunday School.  The mother of the boy who exposed them knew he was running a fever and had been exposed but brought him anyway so she could sing in the chior.  She didn't mention this to anyone, so I was totally unaware that they had been exposed.  I took my little ones to their daycare and we noticed that the little one (whose immune system had always been compromised and frequently ran fevers for no reason) had some dots.  I took them both home, but a couple of days later, the sitter said bring them back, because the other children all had them.  I didn't, but I sure felt bad that we had spread it.

• elimar

My kids got the pox one month before the vaccine became available.  Bad timing runs in our family.  Whatcha gonna do?

• prayrv
    prayrv Member Posts: 362

elimar,

In my case, they got it 2 months prior to the vaccine - and then promptly gave it to me!!  (I was 32 yrs old)

Trish

• elimar

The adult pox are said to be even worse than going thru' them as a child.  Of course, this would be adults saying this.  I thought I would get it from my kids too, especially because one got it from a child care, had it first then passed it on to the other.  In other words, I went through two incubations.  I did NOT have chicken pox as a kid and was sure I'd get the severe adult version, but I never did.

The only explanation that I can think of is that I was exposed as a child (and I do remember my neighbors being quarantined on their porch) but that it was so minimal that I never developed any symptoms.  Either that or I have a natural immunity.  Weird.