MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• prayrv
    prayrv Member Posts: 362

I was lucky in that I did not have a severe case of it.  It was torture waiting to see if symptoms would show (my mother couldn't remember if I had the mumps or chicken pox as a child).  Guess it was mumps!

• OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377

Hello Everybody,

I just finished reading the last few pages and am impressed by the "six degree's of seperation" to Nebraska. My DD and I actually went to the zoo a couple of months ago and it has so many new venue's. Who would have thought so many women on this thread would have lived in the Cornhusker state!

I have to get the flu shot (never had it before) and the Pertusis vaccine before the baby is born! My arms are going to be to sore to hold him!

Hello to all the new posters, so sorry you had to seek out this site, but it will make make you laugh and make you cry and educate you all at the same time.

Linda                                                                                                         

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Linda, the minute you see that new baby you are going to forget all about the pain in your arms.

Somehow I was exposed the chicken pox when I was young, and I brought it to my family.  Worst part was my Daddy didn't know if he had ever had them so he couldn't be around us.

I had heard that if you had at least 200 spots that it made you immune.  My older two had 250-350 each, but my poor baby.  I lost count at 700, and used a sponge brush to paint on the Calamine.  He had had surgery 8 weeks prior and even the scar running up his chest had pox on it.  He was also in diapers which must have been miserable because his little bottom was covered with dots.

• Raj20
    Raj20 Member Posts: 783

Elimor !  the way how you encouraging the survivors is very interesting and mind blowing. You know, one and all   need such type of support everytime which makes them  so relief. And now I am also really flying high  because I have completted more than 5 and half years of fighting BC.It is tough. But, after I join this thread, I can learn how to carry myself without any hindrance.I am now able  take it simply, relaxing & easily  able to forget those pains by joining the breast cancer forum.Almost half life gone doing nothing for other people but now I feel so good with a strong feeling of doing something for others . We all got connected through one or two lines, its  really a new life for me and  easy way to  spend the remaining days of my life. Thanx.

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

i have a chicken pox story, also. my middle son got encephalitis from that; and was in peds. icu at 4. finally, after five days, i went hime to clean up, and kiss my other babies, who my mom was watching at my home. low and behold, my youngest, 2 then, had a little rash; and off to the hospital w/ him... they both survived, it was a huge scare, however. both of them in isolation, i'd go to ones room, then off to the showers, wash up w/ antibacterial, and gown up to see other child,.. then, back to showers to decontaminate myself. husband came to hospital exactly twice.. and one was to have elders lay hands on them. that, i appreciated. sitting outside praying for them to survive, i did not. God answered my prayers, and they are both grown men now. the middle son ended up catching chicken pox 2 more times after that; but mild cases.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    rajkumari, well, they didn't hand me any rules on how to make a thread here.  It was important to me to find a way to laugh about some of the horrible stuff we have to go through because of B/C.  We all had our time of crying about it, that's for sure!  I could not ask for a better group of sister-women who post on this thread.  They definitely helped me through my treatment.  Congratulations to you on reaching the five year NED point! 
  • PauldingMom
    PauldingMom Member Posts: 392

My oldest brought home the pox when my two younger girls were not yet in school. He had a good yet mild case. My youngest though, poor thing had it so bad. She had them in her ears, mouth, nose even inside her little private. She spent days in the bath tub full of oatmeal. She still has scars 16 years later.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,900

Elimar-a lot of kids get what we call "subclinical" cases of chicken pox, meaning none of the major symptoms but develop immunity anyway.  I remember getting chicken pox at 16.  I was sooo upset that I had to go back to school with my face looking like I had major acne!  Chicken pox in adults can cause a horrible form of pneumonia that can kill, but the vaccine was created so that non-immune women would not be exposed during the early stages  of pregnancy, when the virus can do a lot of damage to the developing fetus.  Side benefit-if you don't get chicken pox you can't get shingles!

OG56-join the club, sort of!  The immunity we get from the pertussis vaccine as kids fades over time.  By the time we're in our 40's we have no immunity to pertussis anymore.  I was taking care of a baby with pertussis one summer and got it myself.  I was miserable with wracking cough and tought I was going to die at times, and then couldn't wait until I did because it would HAVE to feel better!  With the growing trend of not vaccinating kids against pertussis, it's popping up here and there, and kept going by adults without adequate immunity. 

Meece-your poor baby!  I hope he didn't have the sores in his throat like I did!  Chicken pox was the worst Christmas present I ever got-one of my cousins exposed the entire family-all 8 grandkids at once! 

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

I just pulled out some pictures I took of Baby DS when he had the pox.  So sad.  One of them shows him lying in a shallow tub with Aveno in it, and taking a breathing treatment from his nebulizer. We spent a lot of time with me sitting in the bathroom floor by the tub as he soaked. He wasn't two yet, and looks so pitiful!  I don't recall looking in his mouth, but they were in his ears, and every external nook and cranny.  He survived, although there was a time was were in doubt (not because of chicken pox).  He now stands nearly 6'3" and weighs a whopping 160!

• Raj20
    Raj20 Member Posts: 783

Thanks Elimor  for  sharing with me. It is nice and feeling good.

• CherylQ
    CherylQ Member Posts: 42

Hi ladies, Chickenpox is one of the most deadly childhood diseases around.  The number of pustules you see on the skin are also covering the internal organs of the body.  That is why it is important to get vaccinated.  If you had a very mild case of chickenpox as a child, you may get a secondary case as an adult.  This is one of the worse childhood disease and if your immune system is compromised, be very careful.

Take care,

Peace and Laughter,

Cheryl

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Elimar-looks like my neighbor lady was visiting you.  Clothes are certainly similar!

• theresap60
    theresap60 Member Posts: 849

CherylQ - I had no idea the chicken pox were also on internal organs.  I had them as a child and hope that's it.  My children had them.  My grandchildren had the vaccine.

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

Raj, nice to meet you, I don't think we met up before in here. I work with an Indian woman and know how private your culture is for the most part.  I'm so glad you are sharing with us in here. Our diagnosis is almost identical, so i adopt you as my twin!! 

Eph, I hope you are continuing to heal as well as can be expected. 

I met up with some women from the chat room in Virginia last week.  As always it was a trip for the memory banks forever.  To any of you reading this, if you get the chance ot meet up with women from chat or from the boards, DO IT.  The connection you feel is amazing, and hell, we're just really cool chicks at the end of the day, so why not share our awesomeness???  LOL

• eph3_12

my physical therapist called me her gold star patient of the week! amazed @ my range of motion-said some people with my injury NEVER get as much ROM back ever, much less 1 week post-op! I'm feeling good about that!  on my way to homecoming football game! have a good weekend!

• marlegal

Joni, I'm sooooo glad for your progress.  Keep it up girlfriend.

• elimar
    Hey Eph, glad you are on the mend.  Do me a favor and tread carefully on those stadium steps!
  • elimar

I'm volunteering at a Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk tomorrow.  I figured I would give it a whirl and my son is doing it with me.  We are helping out, not walking.  Inserting small icon here...

october Pictures, Images and Photos

There now, that wans't too Pinktober-y for anyone, was it?  I heard I will be getting a black t-shirt.

• marlegal

LOL...love the topper page pic!!!!   As for small pink remembrances, which i  usually hate, i like that one Eli, thanks.   smooch to all and love over that even

• elimar

This particular scarecrow reminds me of our Faithie, don't ask me why.  She might think I am a little off when she reads this. Haha, or should I say Caw, Caw!

• dawney
    dawney Member Posts: 136

love the scarecrow pic!!

• brazos58
    brazos58 Member Posts: 109

Hello to ALL

I am trying to find a home here on BCO. Maybee this is the splace! I am 52, RN, married with 2 sons 18/22, 2 cats.  I love yard work, following jam bands, working on my Mustang, reading, Quiet.

i had a BMX/ no recon on 6/21. I know NO ONE in real life that has had surgery that is alive.... I find great comfort hanging in here,.... knowing in cyberspace that we exist.

I am blessed and feeling gratitude that I was spared chemo.... I opted out of rads as it was just somewhere I could not go.

I am having alot of problems with chest tightness... the wire like feeling....and ripping down my armpit with stretching. Just finished 6 weeks of LE/PT to get my range of motion back and work out the cording (( evil !!!))) from Axillary Web Syndrome.... Just vacuuming, riding the tractor mower and weed wacking ( the worst) leaves me with a puckering muscle spasmed tight chest....

Can anyone tell me... when I will get back to hauling ass? Like washing and detailing my mustang, Mowing and having yard days.... just cleaning my house?  Like I did before surgery???

I go to the Fitter this week.... I get a sinking feeling when I think about it. I need a LE/ sleeve and gauntlet on the right. Some chest protection for hypersensitivity.... and something comfy and soft for some Foobage for going out for occasions. I have been flying around home and local braless.

I look forward to not gaurding my chest. I am in Kung Fu warding.... Just please dont bang or poke me.

Yesterday I found i was cleaning my family room and powder room for the first time in 6 months. Dear God, I live in a Frat House...

I wish you all Blessings and Peace of Mind on this Journey

Happy Weekend!

• torigirl
    torigirl Member Posts: 748

Welcome Brazos!

You have truly found a place for comfort, advice, and a world of knowledge from some extraordinary women!

I can not answer your questions about BMX, but I know that they will be along soon to answer your questions and cheer you on during this journey!  Thats what we are all here for!

Peace and prayers,

Tori

DE COLORES! 

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477
    Brazos I had a BMX 68 days ago still kicking lol. I am day 12 of my first chemo now. They thought my cancer was 7cm in the MRI but the pathology showed only 1.2 cm and no  nodes. My oncotype was a 31 so that is why chemo. So my prognosis looks good for the future especially with chemo and then hormone pills. Then onto recon.
  • elimar

Brazos, read your resume & you'e more than qualified.  Can you start right away?  I have 2 sons between voting age and drinking age myself, one dog, no Mustang; and you mentioned the word work too much in your first paragraph!

I can't comment on the LE much, but some others have the same issue and hopefully they will post for you.  I had lumpectomy and two nodes out.  The sentinel node area stayed sore and tight longer than the tumor area.  I stretched like crazy and it is pretty good now (tho' still sore at times.)  Then, after a year I discovered a reason it stayed sore...I have a few titanium clips in there.  I think they got irritated every time I did my eXtreme stretching.

I have a question and I hope I can ask this in a sensible way:  Will your LE resolve over time?  What I mean is your LE is from the surgical site, and the whole lymphatic field was disturbed and rearranged, but you did not lose any nodes, so over time will your body heal and begin to drain better?   I know when a woman loses a whole armpit's worth of nodes, the LE is a present danger for the rest of her life.  Even tho' this doesn't pertain to me, I just have the kind of enquiring mind that wants to know.

Lastly, I like the quote in your tagline.    Dragonfly Pictures, Images and Photos

• elimar

MAKING STRIDES WALK report: 

Getting up at 6:30 on a Saturday is not my standard operating procedure, but I got to the check-in on time an hour later.  I had no business having a Krispy Kreme doughnut, since I was not going to be walking it off.  Got to my route station about 8:15.  My partner (son #2, who has an even harder time getting up at 6:30 on a Saturday went into immediate "stand-by" mode, meaning I listened to his gentle snoring for 45 min.)   At 9:00 we took up a position to steer the walkers into a 90o turn at our corner.  Around 9:20 I noticed some joggers a block away GOING STRAIGHT.  Then a couple more, then a group of three, then a few more.  I decide to walk down to that corner where other "route marshalls" were stationed, and this exchange followed:

ME:  Were those runners doing the Making Strides event?

CHORUS OF THREE YOUNG LADIES:  Yeah.

ME:  Well, they should be making a turn here and heading down to my corner.

CHORUS:  We didn't know.  No one told us!

ME:  Didn't you get a map of the route?

CHORUS:  No, we never got one.  They were all just running straight past us.

ME:  O.K., they all need to turn and YOU need to TURN THEM!

Wow!  I guess you could say I really earned my doughnut.  After that, things went great.  Everyone was directed the right way and we had the vigorous early birds, the huge mid-herd, and the stragglers, maybe something like 600-800 or more, all rounding our corner safely and properly. I should mention that part of the task was to "cheer."  I should also mention that, "Good job...you've made it half way!  Please don't collapse, we don't have shuttle service." is about as cheery as I get.  I bet that first dozen or so of runners must be well over the state line by now.

Correction: Don't rely on me for future head counts...the news said over 4,000 were in that walk, which netted over $100K.

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

elimar good job!

• PauldingMom
    PauldingMom Member Posts: 392

Brazo- Well it's official, if Elimar say you passed the entrance exam, then you're good to go. No BMX here but one year plus outta of chemo and kicking some serious hiney. (I work with small children)  We need to do a  blood test for powder cheese though. It's painless and will no in no means make or break your enrollment here, but you may not be able to run for public office. 

Okay ladies, we added a new doggy to our family. She's a rescue, as all my pets are, and a Corgi Chihuahua mix. Officially a Chicorgi. She belongs to my 19 year old DD. I'll post some pics soon.

My back/spine is driving me nuts today. Getting epidural 2 on Monday, so I just gotta hang tough a little longer. Family is out picking out a pumpkin right now. I'm taking advantage off some ice time.

Eph-glad to hear you are doing so good.  You are always a star in my book.

• eph3_12

Thanks Paulding-you shine for me too. I hope that epidural does the trick.  My sister is finishing up prolotherapy on her SI joint & is doing much better.

Elimar, your narration of your field marshalling experience this AM had me in stitches.  You & Kleenex need to see about writing for Tina Fey or someone like that.

Brazo, welcome! 

Football game last night & we won, which was a real boost for the kids-there hadn't been a win on homecoming weekend for a couple/3 years prior!  

• elimar
    I never even heard of prolotherapy, but oooooh, now I want it.  I Googled it.  It sounds so good for osteoarthritis (and my SI joints have complained for some years.)  BUT, will insurance cover it, that is the question?