MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

I doubt I'll be awake at midnight.  Sad but true.  So, I'll send my wishes out now for all Middies to move on toward a much finer year.  More health, less doctors, and happiness to all!

Glitter Tree 2011

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

I'll second that, Elimar!

• phew
    phew Member Posts: 143

elimar   you made me laugh   thank you

regina   love the postage stamp type pik! 

leisaparis plastic instead of selverware.   thats a great idea!!

NativeMainer   social worker?  yeah right....i called him (we only have one)  befor my surgery and he never returned my call AND i dropped names that he knew!!  proof, become an educated patient, cuz otherwise we are swimmimg alone.  loveing friens know only so muchm   oh well 

meece special dish?  i'm still tryin to fimd any dish!  and i dont mean the kind in a skirt  lol

i'll get back to you....gonna try making a yiddush pastry/crescent type thing ...we'll see

barb oh yum!! yes that might just do the trick!!  tapioka  is that the same thing?   gotta go to the mkt to get stuff for a new years brunch,  so YUM here i will go for that

T H A N K S   T O   Y O U  A L L   !!!

~ ~ nancy caril 

• Meece
    Hurry and get it while it still sounds yummy, phew!
  • phew
    phew Member Posts: 143

racemom  what a fabulous and mysterious ride we are on eh?  joke...so much sux  ione thing that i found neat is that there are so many women around the world of all ages  religions, sexual identifications   all for one purpose    to support one another   yey us!    awhat  JO said:  welcome and sorry you have to be here!Embarassed

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

I may not be up at midnight, so send wishes now for a wonderful New Year.  I want to send a special thanks to all you ladies for being so supportive through my tough time.  Here's to a better year in 2011.

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    My DH came home with the  flu so I made him some soup and  put him to bed.So looks like I will end up falling asleep beore midnight as well.Cry
  • jo1955

mumayan - Hope DH gets better soon - the flu sucks.  Enjoy your evening.

• Meece

Jo, the bubbles are tickling my nose!!!!

• jo1955

Meece - If I make it to midnight, I will have a toast for you and all the other middies here.

• Meece

I will do the same, Jo.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

jo1955, I am shocked to hear that you were on Arimidex and Femara. What was the logic for that? How horrid that you have to have such bad side effects.......(hugs)

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

Hi Meece,

Here in the Deep South we fix black-eyed peas, collard greens, cornbread and ham for our traditional New Year's Day meal. Yes, it's supposed to be good luck, too!

HAPPY NEW YEAR'S TO ALL THE MIDDIES!  Now try to stay awake, y'all!!!

• shells43
    shells43 Member Posts: 499

Yep, making Hoppin John! Soaking the peas now. Have some nice pork to add, greens, and cornbread. Can't wait!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

I love being from the south.  We have the best comfort food, although I love trying out new things.

• Meece

I must add cornbread to the menu.  I was thinking that the next time I made cornbread I would make some onion jam for it.  Tomorrow may be the day to try it.

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326

Here's to hoping we all have a very happy & healthy new year....good luck everyone.

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

We had a small dinner party here ... shrimp cocktail, crab cakes (made by hub), filet mignon, vegetable casserole and Christmas cookies.  Oh, and a few bottles of champagne!!  Good friends, good food, and fun times - doesn't get better than that.  I hope you all brought in the New Year in a way that made you happy and safe.  Hugs sisters, with much love.

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

Happy New Year gals! I made a big pot of split pea soup yesterday. (old family tradition) It was delicious! Today is supposed to be pork and sauerkraut but I am making turkey soup instead.

I didn't make it until midnight. 10 PM and out like a light.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,898

Phew-NOT ACCEPTABLE! Call the patient advocate of the hospital your center is part of and complain. Call the Hospital CEO if you have to. Call the state licensing division and file a complaint with them. When the center gets an unannounced survey and realizes they risk losing their license they'll pay attention. I've used that approach and it makes all the difference. Doesn't matter how many docs/nurses/social workers or whatever are hired, the standard of care is the same. Call the hospital quality assurance department and ask who to file a complaint with-they'll jump through hoops to make sure you get what you need and don't' file that complaint. We may be stuck with the disease, but we have control over who we tell how we are treated!

Mumayan-sorry to hear the DH is sick, hope he gets well quick-and you don't catch it!

We don't have a traditional New Year's meal here in Maine, unless New Year's lands on Saturday, which is traditionally beans & franks night! I'm having leftover lasagna myself. It's also been a long, long time since I stayed up until midnight for New Year's. I have more fun looking at the videos of the all the falling lighted objects, fireworks, etc. Did get up to see the fireworks the one New Year's I was in Las Vegas, though-that was quite the show!

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

In my family we follow the Dutch tradition of Öleybollén and ápple fláppen.  The first is a yeast based sweet that is full of black currants and deep fried and the second is an apple fritter and both are drowned in powdered sugar and eaten warm.  They are only made once a year on new years eve. My DH is Dutch and his mother taught me how to make them many years ago.

• Meece

Those sound yummy and fattening, Crissy.  I plan on making Linzer cookies today.  Shouldn't but most likely will.

• chrissyb

I think they would be fattening if we ate them often but one night a year? I don't think it makes much difference......thank goodness...lol

Meece, what are Linzer cookies?

• Meece

They are a rolled sugar type cookie made in two halves.  The top half has a hole in it, and you put jam or preserves between the layers.  Then sprinkle with confectioner's sugar.

• chrissyb

Ooooo they look yummy!  What cookie recipe is it? is it just a basic one or a shortbread one?  I'd like to try making them and I'm sure the GS's and DH would like them!

• Meece

DH is not a sweets eater, but he loves these.  When they are fresh they are crispy, but as they sit for a few hours they soften.

Here is one similar to the ones I make:

* 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
    * 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
      * 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, plus more for sprinkling
    * 1/8 teaspoon salt
    * 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    * 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
    * 1/4 cup granulated sugar
    * 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    * 1 large egg
    * 1/2 cup cherry jam, strained

Directions

1. Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl; set aside. Pulse pecans, confectioners' sugar, salt, and cinnamon in a food processor until finely ground (but not wet); transfer to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
    2. Add butter and granulated sugar; mix on medium speed until fluffy. Mix in vanilla and egg. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture; mix until combined. Halve dough; shape into disks. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours.
    3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Working with 1 disk at a time, roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/8 inch thick. Refrigerate 20 minutes. Cut out squares with a 2-inch fluted cutter. Cut out centers of half the squares with a 1/2-inch heart cutter; reroll scraps. Space 2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake squares and hearts until pale golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to racks to cool.
    4. Meanwhile, heat jam in a small saucepan over medium heat until reduced and thickened, about 7 minutes; let cool.
    5. Sprinkle cutout cookies with confectioners' sugar. Spread jam onto uncut squares; top with cutout ones. Store in an airtight container up to 2 days.

• jo1955

barbe - Onc wanted to start me on the AI's since I am post menopausal.  When the Arimidex did not work, he thought the Femara would since its chemical make up it a little different. Obviously, my body does not like either one of them.  I have an appt on Wed to discuss Tamox.  Hopefully, that one is going to work.  I have been off all meds for two weeks now and just now starting to feel good.  It makes you hesitant to start something else at this point.  But, I have decided I will give it a try and see what happens.  Some on the Tamox thread have said they but the pill in half and take it in the morning and at night.  That may be a workable solution.  Will keep you posted.

Meece - The cookies look yummy!  

• chrissyb

Thanks Meece, I've saved the recipe as a Word document so I will be able to find it.  They really sound great.  The method lists pecans but ot the ingredients, can you tell me how many? or what weight?

• PauldingMom
    PauldingMom Member Posts: 392

You can follow my progress through my daughters Facebook Link at Tina.Baumgart She is posting a My Mom's Care page and will add you e-mail link.

• Meece

I removed the nuts from the recipe because I am allergic, but it is 3/4 c. of toasted pecan halves.

Lisa, you are getting around well today.   Truly happy to see that!!!