MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

LOVE cathedral window! Are you going to use black or white as your window "frames"? Jewel tones in the centre or pastels??????

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Meece - You can also use flannel to make a quilt wall.  I bought one because I was lazy.

Barbe - Now that you are out of the closet - I know who to get quilt tips from.

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

I have a dark muslin, so sort of a tan.  I don't know if one bolt will do.  We'll see how far it goes.

• Meece

Most likely jewel tones for the windows.  I love them, and that is what I have the most of.  I also light "brights".

• jo1955

Meece - Don't know if muslin will work. Try putting pieces of fabric on it and see it they stick.  If not, you may to use the batting like Barb said or the flannel.

• Meece

No muslin is for the Cathedral window frames.

• Maureen813
    Maureen813 Member Posts: 1,826

Meece, that is a beautiful quilt.  You should enter that in a competition it would win.  You are soo talented. 

• Meece

Thank you very much.  Man years ago I entered my first quilt in the fair and recieved Honorable Mention.  I have so far to go before I could win anything.

• Maureen813
    Maureen813 Member Posts: 1,826

We were in KY in June and they had a quilting competition at the hotel.  I think your quilt was better than some of the displayed winners. I envy you, excellent work, wish you were closer, I'd ask someone to teach me how to quilt.

• phew
    phew Member Posts: 143

luv the regional. religiouoanol varities.   i made regugellah which like lidt cookies in a puff passtry crescent roll----we;ll was gonna but slefpt for 15 hrs instead.  sorta missed the ny brunch i was invited to.  and then back to sleep   beside its raining and windy too much for me to venture out.  my sene of acventure lft about 5 yrs ago.  now i'm old.haha v   (how dare I?  my dad is 90 and lives in st paul/minn and drives around ther at night!!!)

nativemom such good acvise!  when did you say you were arriving?  thank you!

i do knitting.  found this great tarn that in sugar cane from bolivia.   but do great to work eith.  it strecthes and strechs and then strectchs some more.   so mu much fa structured pattern.   a back and two fronts and i got a shapeless neato vest.   only took me t4 tries of patterns! Foot in mouth 

• suzwes
    suzwes Member Posts: 765

I am in awe of all of the talented cooks and quilters on this thread!  Beautiful quilt Meece. No special New Year dinner in our area.  When my oldest DS was still home we would celebrate his birthday (which is today) with his favorite foods.  Now it is just DH and I snacking and watching the Big Ten being embarrassed in football all dayCry

Glad to hear from you Lisa, you're continually in my thoughts and prayers and I made a request to your daughter on facebook. 

Phew, sleep is good and you obviously needed it. 

• jo1955

Meece - Oops!  I was confused on the muslin - chalk it up to rad brain. I will take pics of my current quilt when I get the top put together.  Haven't decided on the color for the back yet.

You would be surprised at what you could win at a quilt show.  I have seen some bad ones even at shows.  Don't sell yourself short - you do beautiful work. 

• Meece

I just checked the brand new bolt of tea-dyed muslin I have.  I need another full bolt to make a full sized quilt!  Maybe a bed runner to start, and if I finad matching muslin, then I can expand it.

• jo1955

Meece - I just finished a bed runner for a Christmas gift.  I was fun to do and fit the bed perfect.

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326

I made several quilts this year while I was off work from surgeries. I've never taken any to shows. Only for family & friends. They all seem to love them. Not a pro by far. I do both sides with batting in between. I make them fit a king size bed. That's what I have, so I know that way they fit whoever I give them to. I have some avid hunters & golfers, so made one side hunting and the other side golfing. That way it's reversable. Beautiful quilt Meece. I've never done wall hangings. May have to try those. Hope everyone had a great new years eve. We went to friends of ours. We go every year. They have like a pre new years eve party. Early from @ 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. That way everyone can still go and have their own little thing. I stay up, mostly only because I'm use to being up till 4 a.m. because of work. Some days I really hate the night shift.

• leisaparis

Sorry guys....kinda went on a ramble there.

• Meece

No need to apologize.

• Meece

I have thought about double sided quilts because I love making quilt tops so a reversible quilt would allow me to make two tops and onoy need to find storage for one.

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

I made this quilt by combining my love of needle work with quilting.  I did this when I was going through treatment in 2003 and I called it my recovery quilt.

• Meece

That's a really good idea Crissy.  I would have been able to take the embroidery to chemo with me, or even take the whole quilt and do some quilting, which is what I did.

• leisaparis

very nice Chrissy, my mother does a lot of needle work. I use to when I didn't have a job & the kids were little. Now I just don't have time. If it weren't for being off work for surgeries, I probaby would not have done these.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    leisaparis, you have to realize that we don't call one teeny paragraph a ramble around these parts.
  • 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    man, you guys are makin me tired; just listening to all the projects. mine is making new foobs for the new year. im tired of them getting$ from me for foam ones.. Barbe: What other Dirty Little Secrets are you keeping from us?? hmm?? lol 3jays
  • phew
    phew Member Posts: 143
    Krissie        WOWIE KAZOWIE!  BUTIFUL!
  • chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Thanks Phew.  When I showed it to the women of the quilters guild, they thought the needle work was machine done!  After the many hours it took me to do it, I soon put that idea to bed and pointed out that it was all hand done.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,898

chrissy--incredible needle work!  Reminds me of my grandmother's embroidered pillow cases and hankies.  I've still got some of the hankies, I think I'm going to dig them out, check on their condition, and maybe make a wall hanging or something.  Gram is 91 and declining so it will be really nice to have these around where I can see them. 

leisaparis--a ramble is MUCH longer than what you posted, and rambles are very common here, so ranble on!  Love the idea of a reversable quilt!  

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Just  a word of caution....a 2-sided quit will be VERY heavy so you might want to consider a "summer weight" batting!

• 3jaysmom
    wow!chrissy, thats marv! i used to embrodier with my nana when i was a young girl..i even have some i did here. be darned, i don't remember one stitch!!trying out my new laptop, then its'off to bed for me... 3jays
  • 3jaysmom
    3jays
  • Meece

Looks like your new laptop is doing great, 3jays.  Good for you!