MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Good luck to you on Monday, Jean.  And you tomorrow, Paula.

• valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110

Thank you for the update on Lisa, Meecie. She is in my prayers.

• Meece

She knows that many of us are praying for her and really appreciates it.

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

Adding my prayers for PM.

• Meece

Does anyone watch Men of a Certain Age?  It was about colonoscopies this week.  We recorded it and watched it last night.  One of the guys refused to have anesthesia, can you imagine?

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Meece - Is that a "macho" man or just plain stupid?

• Meece

It was a guy who is afraid of anesthesia. (I am not fond of it myself, I have a hard time coming out of it.)

• jo1955

Didn't see the show, so don't know the details.  I am not fond of the anesthesia myself.  Always wake up freezing.

• Meece

I wake up very slowly and nauseous.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Meece-I do not know PMOM but I will be adding her to my prayer list.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Meece (and others) you have to TELL the doc about the nausea. I started doing that years ago and what a bloody difference it makes! I used to wake up puking enough to rip whatever stitches I'd just had. It was so easy to mention it and I've never woken up that way since.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Meece I concur with barbe-I always tell them about getting neasea and they have something else they add to the meds that keeps me from getting sick.

• sunangel27
    sunangel27 Member Posts: 234

Hey ladies.... Guess I fit into this category!! :)   I'm 54, single, mother of 2 awesome boys (okey they are men now!!), two beautiful daughter in laws and 5 grandchildren. They live a little ways away so don't get to see them all as much as I would love to,    and going thru the horridness of BC.

I had biopsy on Dec. 9th, Partial masc. on Dec. 22nd, and to my amazement getting to start RADS on Monday. They put me on Tamoxifin on Tuesday of this week. Don't know the side effects yet........we shall see.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi. I go to my "simulation" today at 1:00 to get things started for Monday.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Welcome to our Mid-Age group, sunangel27!  Lots of us here have done rads, including myself about a year ago.   Let us know if you need any info. along the way.  Hope you sail through it and good luck tomorrow.  I thought of a tip for you already:  Once you start the treatment and they are positioning you and say, "Turn your head to the side," make sure to turn your head all the way.  I don't think I did that a few times and then I felt a little "heartburn" feeling on my esophagus for some days afterward.

Also, try to join in on the Jan. 2011 rads thread under the rads forum.  It really helps to compare notes with others going thru' it at the same time.

• sunangel27

Thank you Elimar!! I will do that!!! Don't want anymore than I need to deal with!!!

I have joied the Jan 2011 rads thread, thank you ! :)
    It really does help. This has just been as I am sure all of us know is a nightmare! :(

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,604

During one of my many surgeries one of the anesthesiologists asked if I had morning sickness when pregnant or ever got car sick as a kid....when I said yes, gave me a scopalomine (sp) patch behind my ear....one of the things that has helped me with anesthesia is refusing narcotics in the recovery room...narcotics make me sick to my stomach....I was telling my gf who is an anesthesiologist that the anesthetics make me so sick and she said its not the anesthetics, its the narcotics....so for my last 2 hand surgeries I said no narcotics in recovery room...they looked at me like are you sure...and I said nothing stronger than ibuprofen,..it sure made a difference in how I felt afterwards....I also told the anesthesiologist to give me the least amount of anesthetic possible.....back to the anesthesiologist about morning sickness and car sickness...he indicated that they were asociated/indicators of getting nauseated from anesthetics etc....

• jo1955
    sunangel27 - Welcome to the group.  Not only are we a fun bunch and very supportive bunch too.
  • sunangel27

Thank you so much Jo! I love fun! :)  

• Meece

Addressing the comments about nausea:

I have told every single anesthesiologist I have had about my problem, and only once did I wake without it, I was pregnant and they only gave me enough to just put me under.  I tell them this as well, but it never helps.  They put "stuff" in my IV during and after, and it just doesn't help.  That is the main reason I have put a halt to my recon.  I just can't face another "wake-up call".

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,898

Someone who has motion sickness or morning sickness is more likely to get nauseated from chemo, too. 

• Meece

I took Emend and only had a few days of nausea.  Food didn't sound good to me ever, but the vomiting was under control.

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

Okay - I had the "motion sickness" scope patch applied after mentioning that I tend toward getting carsick (I had never had any anesthesia prior to my bc surgery). I kept it on for the whole day (surgery was in the morning) but my mouth kept getting almost painfully dry. Reading through the meds I'd been given, it appeared that it was the scope patch that was causing the dry mouth. I had no information on how long I was to keep it on, so I took it off. Within about an hour, the room started spinning and nausea kicked in and I enjoyed several hours of nastiness. So did I take it off too soon? Or did I have a rebound reaction, sort of like "land sickness" from taking it off? Certainly I was glad I'd made it home and hadn't gotten sick in my husband's car and had had several peaceful hours at the house, but that was AWFUL. If you get one, ask how long you should continue to wear it. And possibly someone who hasn't just had surgery eight hours ago should be the one reading the information about the medications, as well. Just sayin'.

Trish: I do still see Dr. K - am due to go in a couple of months. Not very fond of the P.A., unfortunately. 

• prayrv
    prayrv Member Posts: 362

Kleenex,

Yep I still see Dr. K - I will see her in June, saw the PA in December.  I'm sorry that your not a fan of the PA.  She's ok for me.  I think I have figured out what she thinks is important/not important and I keep my paranoidal issues to myself and Dr. Google. LOL

I do dread the colonoscopy that I really should schedule soon - but as I won't be 50 for 2 1/2 more years, I'm puttin' it off.

Trish

• Meece

I won't be 50 for over two years as well, but my GP has been trying to get me to go in for one since I finish BC tx.

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

HI ladies,

Yes, I'm past due for my alien probe (perfect analogy, Eli!). So I have to schedule that soon, plus I have an achy tooth, plus - the worst thing I need to deal with - I have a benign adenoma on my adrenal gland that will have to be removed. So I suppose I should deal with that first, and soonish.

It's probably a foolish dream, but I long for the day when I don't have to go to the doctors so often. And I think after the surgery, I'm going to try to schedule all my appointments in the same month whenever possible so as not to ruin the entire year with a dreaded appointment. Eh - that is also probably impossible, but a girl can dream, can't she?

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    HnS76, That is what wears me down too, the never ending stream of doctor appts. (and dentist, too, since I have no luck in that dept. either.)   Plus it seems that, once you get to Mid-Age, it's one step forward, two steps back, so that you don't feel like you are making headway with all the health matters.  I want to "get ahead" for once and then try to maintain.  Is that so wrong?
  • walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

I had to have a tooth recapped during chemo because it was over 10years old and popped out.  Found out I need a lot of dental work done.  Something to look forward to this year.  Have not had the probe done yet but may have that to look forward too.  Had 4 sonograms done down under last year due to some concerns there.  GYN mentioned hysterectomy, see her in March.  Another thing to look forward too.  48 this year, might be as busy as 47 last year.

• barbe1958

I'm in the process of getting my metal fillings replaced with the new white ones as I believe the metal has poisoned my body over the years.

We are all doing the "Old Age Shuffle"! Get yer slippers on and join in! Tongue out

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

Barbe -I got my slippers for Christmas, sock monkeys cuse I have the jammies to go with em.

• barbe1958

Sock monkeys are the BEST!!!