MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545
    Jean - It is always good to know what is next.  Otherwise, you can't make plans of your own.
  • marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

Jean, I think we're unanimous about feeling better once a plan is in place. Better to feel like we're doing something instead of just waiting around.

Paula/Barbara, thanks for answering the question about the online program.  I guess it's possible my docs used that but just didn't tell me?  Or - also quite possible - they told me and it went in one ear and out the other! 

Eli, I'll add my kudos for the snow pic ... we still have a lot around here on lawns and stuff and it's so pretty.  Streets are totally clear, so I don't mind still seeing it other places!!!

TMarina, I live just outside Phila, PA and it was in 20's or lower all last week.  Yesterday and today were in the 30's and sunny, and it honestly felt almost warm in the sun!  We're plummeting again next week, but it was nice to have a break on the weekend when I was out and about quite a bit.

• jo1955

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    sorry cant read it,, suppossed 2 be good luck fairy.. for Paula, Jean, and Sunangel..3jays
  • 3jaysmom
    better..you get the picture! love ya gals..3jays
  • JeanH
    JeanH Member Posts: 132

Thanks for all the support.

Jean

• jo1955

UGH!  I am freaking out.  Made an appt with the surgeon for tomorrow afternoon and it can't get here fast enough.  Been having a constant burning sensation in the BC boob for 2 weeks now and it won't go away.  There is also some tenderness and it is sore. Can't stand it when I take the bra off and something hits the nipple and area around it.

Finished rads on Dec 3 and have had no pains whatsoever since about mid - Sept.  Not sure what it is or the cause - but going to find out.  Just when I thought everything was going well - energy back, doing good on Tamox, just feeling good in general.  Really nervous and trying to hold on.

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

3jays, your picture says:

May the wings of the butterfly kiss the sun

and find you shoulder to light on

To bring you luck, happiness and riches

today, tomorrow and beyond. 

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Jo, hopefully you will get the answers you need.  I understand when pain can cause concern.  My pain has returned on the breast that will be MRI'd on Wednesday.  I would have said hormonal, but it is only that breast. And is esoecially painful when the bra comes off. 

If we didn't have our history, we would probably dismiss the pain and go on.  

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

This program she showed me, she says alot of docters dont do.  She just likes to do it so women know what thier opitions are.  She did give me her opinion on what she would do.  Hers was to do the Chemo and Tamifen which freaks me out abit.  But I know I have to put on the big girl panties on and do what needs to be done. 

• Paula66

Thanks 3jays for the luck!

• jo1955

Meece - I would also say may have been due to the Tamoxifen, but the pain was there before I started.  It is also painful when the bra comes off - some nights it feels better to sleep in a sports bra.  Mind you, I have kept going on wit the things I need to do.  Spent the weekend doing the hand quilting on my quilt.  It is gonna take me awhile - I am doing alot and have to take breaks because my fingers cramp up.

Will let you know what I find out tomorrow.

• phew
    phew Member Posts: 143

meece & jo:  i dont remember.  do you have recon?   the reason i ask, elected not to, but the incision sometimes burns all the way down my arm  and it sems to jiggle or hang as if there was a breast there.  a bra also helps.  i though it was knitting thing.   is this like you sit'ion?

~~ nancy-cail 

• phew
    phew Member Posts: 143

hang / move are better words

~~nc 

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Elimar-thank you for the topper today!  Still hoping MLK, Jr.'s dream comes true!

• jo1955

phew - I did not have recon.  Had lumpectomy, SNB and rads - no chemo - thank goodness.  Arm is still numb and tingly from the SNB and feels worse on cold days - just try to stay warm.  What you are feeling could be phantom pains or the nerves deciding to act up if your weather is damp & cold.  If it becomes a real concern, I would see my surgeon or onc about it as soon as possible.  That way you know and don't have to think about it.

Where in California are you?  I am originally from Riverside. 

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,898

Phew, you should also check in with your Rad Onc, the pain could be truncal lymphedema, a side effect of rads and SNB.  Rads can also cause a pain syndrome that rears it's ugly head a few weeks to a few months after rads are done. 

• faithandfifty
    faithandfifty Member Posts: 4,424

Once upon a time I was invited to sing my little songs in downtown Detroit, an area known as River Rouge. It was an exceedingly 'tough' neighborhood and the principal was brilliant at writing grants for special sorts of programing on behalf of her children. My invitation was a delight in every way. We started the morning with tiny tots and then they were gradually older and older preschoolers.

Right after lunch time I was leading a group of 'mature' preschoolers in my signature song "You're Wonderful"...... simple, repetitive verses begin: I think you're wonderful. I think you're marvelous. I think you're beautiful and magical and filled with curiosity............ and dreams.

Each verse those words are repeated in sequence framed slightly differently.

You think I'm wonderful? Etc.

Anyhow, at the very end of the song, the group is singing in full gusto.

You're right, I'm wonderful. Etc etc.

I'll never forget when we got to the end of the lyrics, this little ebony face looks up at me, full of innocence with her big brown eyes taking up most of that face and says, "I have a dream."

I truly had to squeeze my lips so as not to cry in the midst of the concluding coda.

Elimar, I hadn't thought of that moment for some time. Thank you for bringing it back to me. No big chuckles like for a cow-pattie, but a lovely reminder none-the-less.

My dad shares the very day of birth with MLK Jr. and so I happen to know that he would be 82 had he lived a wonderful & lengthy life like my father. My dad was VERY involved with civil rights organizations through the churches that he pastored over the years. I remember 'walking' in civil rights walks as a teenager.

Our high school was closed down to race riots for a week during my freshman year -- when all manner of horrid things were underway. We're creeping and crawling forward since those memories.

And I long for more children to tell me, "I have a dream."

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

Elimar..another Thanks for the header.

Peace

• Paula66

Yea I finally woke up without pain.  Yahoo!!!!  I also sleep more then 5 hrs before I woke in pain.  I'm on the mend.  I'm not ready to run any marathons yet, I didnt run them before either, lol.  But I am ready to clean my house.  I am so greatful for all that my hubby did for me, there are areas that got neglected.  I know that I will have to take it easy so I will start with the light stuff.  So If anyone here is having a glass of wine tonite have a congrats sip for me, lol.

• jo1955

Paula

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,898

Paula-Hooray! Hooray! Being pain free is a wonderful thing! I'm so happy for you!

• Paula66

Thanks Girls!!!!!

• 3jaysmom
    MEECE: do you have x ray vision, or what!! i'm for sure saving the picture now. i really like that saying..      good luck girls..    3jays
  • JeanH
    JeanH Member Posts: 132

Paula so glad today is better!

Elimar, Thanks for the photo reminder for MLK Jr. - I hope we can live up to his dream and make this world a betther place for our kids and grandchildren, they deserve it. Faith I loved your story and the photo.

No surprises at the ONC today. I was warned by a friend this is really when you go Wow I have cancer so I was prepared for the numbers percentages SE etc.

I start Chemo Thursday February 3 EC then T dose dense schedule, virtually the same as AC then T but due to the shortage or A a substitution, same SE, same results. I will probably start to go bald right after Valentine's Day.  

The plan is to continue working as much as I can, luckily work is very supportive about this.  Just checked the calendar and I am happy my "off" weeks coincide with my kids' school breaks. Not sure if I will be up do doing so much but a better shot on the off week.  We are still adjusting to having non sychronized schedules now that the oldest is in college and youngest in high school. Last year I took time off with each to do something but the family trip does not really work anymore for spring break, someone will not be able to make it.  I expect the older will be going on his own way for some of his breaks now that he is a sophomore.  First step towards that empty nest...

I am so thankful for all the support and information I have received from all the ladies on these boards these last few weeks, they have helped so much already as I go though this journey. I wish none of us were here but if we have to be it is good to have each other.

Thanks and hugs to all

Jean

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704
    JeanH-we'll be here!  And just remember: Bald is Beautiful! Laughing
  • valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110

(((Jo))) for tomorrow's dr. appt. I'll be thinking of you.

(((Meecie))) ~ Wed is a different type of a day for me, & I will be thinking of you for a b9 MRI.

((Renee))

((Sheila))

♥ 

• trinity57
    trinity57 Member Posts: 3

Hi all....Had my appointment with the surgeon today. It's not HER2+....yipee!!!! Will be having sentinel node biopsy in a couple of weeks and MRI's etc, then all going well I will be having only radiation and tamoxofen (or similar) I am so pleased that so far it all looks pretty good. I don't think I could handle chemo again. However, in saying that, there is still the waiting game for the results from the node biopsy and scans etc, but for now, I will sleep well tonight. Love to you all..... 

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

{{{TRINITY}}}

{{{JO}}}

{{{MEECE}}}

{{{JEAN}}}!

So many of us have big stuff coming up! My arms are cyber hugging all of you and Lisa, too!!

3 more days until the big cruise!! So excited! The valet picked up the luggage last week and I have to run out today for some last minute stuff I forgot to pack. WHAT?? The garment bag was 42LB and the suitcase was 47!! So nice not to have to deal with schlepping luggage through customs. I will post a pic of DH and me in my favorite dress. Hmmm. I love all 6 of them. Decisions, decisions.

• shells43
    shells43 Member Posts: 499

Faith - your story brought tears, out of the mouth of babes, always. They are the future.

Trinity - I'm with you, I am praying for you for a good outcome.

Barbara - have a terrific time on your cruise, it sounds like lots of fun! That's a lot of luggage! How long are you going to be gone? Loved the dress pictures.

I really hope I get my MRI results back today. I've been waiting since Thursday. I will have to call if they don't call me.