MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• TMarina
    TMarina Member Posts: 297

Jo--one thing I have learned through all this is to "expect the unexpected".  I think we have all had many disappointments, many times where we just went "really?  Haven't I been through enough?"  So you are not alone in that!  And you are not alone because we are all here giving you virtual hugs, and holding your hand!!  Glad you are feeling a bit better today!  I like what Barbe said--You have the right!

Carol, welcome here.  Sorrry you have to go through the whole cancer thing again.  I had colon cancer in 2009 (at age 44), and then bc in 2010.  I became a grandma and my 2nd daughter got married during my tx for colon cancer, then my youngest graduated and left for college during bc tx. It's a crazy time of life even without the cancer--then throw that into the mix, and well, things get even crazier!  You need to take care of yourself.  Find someone you are comfortable with to go to your appts. with you.  Ask your sisters to make some meals for you. Give yourself time to cry and be upset.  Come back here often to let us know how you are doing!

Tina

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

CArol welcome but sorry you have to be here.  It is a great place for support

Jo-sorry about all this for you.  Hope you get someone who knows what they are doing with IV's.  I also think it is time for you to have a break.

Update on my step-dad.  Hard to get info from my mom because she keeps forgetting..... Anyway finally got the info that he is being referred to my RO so that is good since I already know everyone.  I will go with my parents on Monday.  Boy is my RO gonna be suprised to see me again so soon, since I just finished rads on Monday of this week.  I am still waiting on a call from my dad's PCP because I have questions that my mom can't seem to ask, she just follows directions, urgggggggggh.  So at least he will have the same Dr's as me which will make things easier.  I will def have to get my brothers involved because I just don't have much time left at work to take off and my parents can't seem to ask questions and communicate with us kids very well.  They either don't hear or they forget. Thanks for all the support.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

E-you just keep finding the coolest pictures!  I have to switch cause the next one is even cooler!

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Welcome Carol.  I to was overwhelmed with everything.  You have come to the right place.  These gals here are a bundle of knowledge, and they are so willing to share.  EPH its me who does chemo next friday.  My sister went thru it 10 yrs ago and it was hell on her.  But I do know that things have changed so much and that really helps.  Thanks for the tips.

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Got a call over my lunch hour from the hospital for my scans tomorrow.  I am supposed to be there at 10:00 in the morning.  Hope this does not turn out to be an all day affair.  What a way to spend a day off. Oh well, gotta do what I gotta do.

Many thanks to everyone for your support.  Felt like I was in super panic mode last night.  

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

jo, it does take about 3 hours for the radioactive tracer (for bone scan) to circulate and get "in position" in your bones, so there's no way to shorten that length of time.  But, while you wait, I imagine they will do the whole CT, and you can probably squeeze in lunch before your bone scan, since there is no fasting necessary for the bone scan. 

I forgot to drink a ton of water (and pee it out) before my bone scan so when I had the scan, my bladder showed up pretty white on there.  Do like Seyla said & guzzle the water.

• jo1955

elimar - will do on the water

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

jo - I just remembered - when they were injecting the dye for a scan I had not long ago, as the nurse was approaching with the IV, I told her "I dread this part." She said, "I'll try to be careful," and I didn't even know when she had done it. I never felt a thing! Some of them are extremely good at that, and maybe talking to the nurse beforehand will make them very careful with you. Plus, don't forget that little pill! I'm sorry you have to do this. I didn't have a port when I had chemo - OMG, I don't even want to talk about that! But those nurses did tell me to drink a lot of water the day before and also to eat a lot of potato chips! I guess the sodium helps to retain the water, but I knew that was one pre-procedure instruction I would have no trouble following.

• jo1955

heartnsoul - I was not given any pre procedure instructions.  Just told when to be at the hospital, to bring the doctors orders, my insurance and an ID.  Since I am not having a whole body scan, the process must be different.  Just guessing.

• heartnsoul76

jo - I was just kidding about calling it a pre-procedure instruction. You know, usually pre-procedure instructions are not tasty! 

That was just what the nurses told me to do to help plump up my veins the day before they had to search for a vein to give me chemo via an IV. They said eating potato chips and drinking a lot of water will help them find my veins easier.

• Claire82
    Claire82 Member Posts: 490

potato chips?

yay now i cant wait to get my blood taken!

• heartnsoul76

Exactly! Potato chips and water before the needles come at ya! 

• eph3_12

The sodium levels in the labs will seriously give the doc pause however!

• jo1955

I could indulge in a whole bag tonight. That doesn't sound like a bad idea.

• eph3_12

Betcha can't eat just 1!

• TMarina
    TMarina Member Posts: 297
    yummm--can I get my blood drawn tomorrow too?Laughing
  • jo1955

Won't have time to get on here in the morning before I head to the hospital.  Just came from a dance in our park and had a great time.  I love to country dance.  Trying to wind down before I head off to bed and hopefully get some sleep.  Will update everyone tomorrow when I get back

Good Night Everyone 

• JeanH
    JeanH Member Posts: 132

Hi everyone,

Just checking in quick welcome to our new members,

Paula Add me to the freaking/stressing party I start chemo on Feb 3 without a port.

Jo good luck with the tests, the other hint to add to the lots of water is to warm your hand before they do the IV (watch the cold water bottles) cold constricts the blood vessels. like the chips idea.

We are always here for you.

Elimar love the Aurora picture.

• JeanH
    JeanH Member Posts: 132

Sorry post got stuck...

Barb thanks for the reminder I think we all need to remember that.

I love that this thread can have a post with thomas Paine and Run DMC

Sherry good luck with your step Dad.

Good night hugs to all

Jean

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Jean, why are you not getting a port?  I was never offered one, and I did not  have a support system that let me know the benefits of one.  I would want one, knowing now what I didn't know then.  I had blood draws every week and the chemos, and my veins are shot.

• jo1955

• elimar
    Hope your scans go well today, jo!  Try not to let anxiety get the best of you.
  • walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

I have been off for a while and boy a lot going on.

Jo - Hang in there, I was confused on the bone scan though, when I had mine I was jus lying on a table and the moved the thing over and under me.  Must be a different type, no IV.  I hate IV's because my left arm has such small veins.  Keep us up to date on how you are doing, good/bad/everything inbetween.

SherryC - Sorry about your step dad, but having you go with him to his appointment will help both him, your mom and yourself.

Ran into an old college mate of mine that I had not seen in 10 years at the RO's (Texas Oncology) office this week.  She has pancratic cancer and is doing chemo.  It was good to see her but bad due to the circumstance.

It is so good to have you all to share our moments with.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Miller, your test must have been a bone DENSITY test.

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

Thats right thanks for the clerification.

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Well all I have a port now.  Its a bit uncomfortable, but I will get thru it.  Right now Im just smelling my cheesy bread and am ready do start dunking it in the o so good garlic butter.  I love take-out.

• Maureen813
    Maureen813 Member Posts: 1,826

Hoping the port install went well.  They had me put cold press on it to help with the swelling.  Chessy bread sounds delicious :) ENJOY

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

Carol, as everyone has said.. welcome. glad your here sad you have to be.. JO.. i'm 2 Yrs. out; and some days IM STILL freakin out.. you think you're not entitled 5 mos later! RU Kidding?? we all take turns, girl.. depends on where we are; and what they've decided we need to do next lol

Elimar; the pic is great.. i stole the "meditating dog" i think he's probably my fav. yet!! Thomas Piane, and Run DMC.. see, she's the one who watches over this threadd. and she's well versed. we're Blessed!!   3jays

• elimar

Thank you kindly, 3jays!

Now where is our jo?  I bet she did great!

Paula66, my mom took chemo for lung cancer for six mos. til she finally got a port.  After she got it, she wondered why she waited so long.  When she got it removed finally, the healed area didn't even look bad.  I think you were wise to take the advice to get one.  In case I don't remember next week, Good Luck with that first round of chemo.  

• jo1955

Elimar - Here I am.  Finally got home at 5:00.  Tests are done.  Took two guys, two sticks to get the IV started.  Cried after the first one.  Guys did their best to comfort me and even offered warm blankets for the scan.  Won't get me results until next Friday.  The dreaded waiting game begins.

I hope the surgeon is able to figure out what my problem is and take care of it.  Gonna try not to focus on it too much.  Have too many other things to think about.

I want to thank everyone for their caring and support.  The wimp did good.