MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• carol6026
    carol6026 Member Posts: 20

Marlegal, the reason I am worried about the weight loss is because I have not even started treatment yet. I go Tuesday to find out when surgery will be and when radiation will start. But, on the other hand the cruise you were just talking about is the one I have been looking into. I really want to go up the coast into Canada.

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Carol - Like marlegal said I would still ask the doctor about how to put some weight back on particularly if you are concerned about it.  You will need your strength to get through treatment.  

Best wishes go out to you on your treatment.  Please keep us posted. 

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

mumayan - my mother took a similar cruise and it was one of her favorties, too! She was awed by the enormous and ornate architecture of the buildings in Russia, said it was amazing! I think she went on that trip alone, too - she was in her 70's at the time. She's now 84 and wants to go back to Italy.

carol -  Ensure is a good idea, but definitely get some input from your doctors when you see them again. I had a friend that would make milkshakes with ice cream and protein powder. Hopefully, tomorrow will be a better day!

• jo1955

We will be cruising to Montego Bay, Jamaica, Cayman Islands and Cozumel.  Been to those ports before but don't care.  Just love the idea of cruising and getting away from here.  Ship leaves in 76 days - but I am not counting.

• phew
    phew Member Posts: 143

oh gee, such hi class probs!  wish i could worry thqt way....for me?  just to cover the rent  boo hoo me.  and yey all of you!!    but i degress.....anybody out there w/o recon?   i'm wondering ifstabbing  pain/discomfort is unusual?  maybe just "kniing" ?  sometimes the stabs are enuff to cry out, otherwise just non-stop discomfort.  dont wanna present these to my practioner or surgeon, if nomal. anybody?  thanks! ~ ~ nancy carol

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781

Carol6026 - Well if you get up the coast of Canada, give me a call because I live in Halifax. Keep me posted if you ever head up this way...

As for the lousy comments..remind yourself tha not everyone is appropriate when they are expressing concern...that not everyone knows what to say...tomorrow is another day...wear something you like, remember to breathe and if someone says something to you baout the weight loss either ask for a suggestion on how to gain it back, tell them 'yeah breast cancer is a b**ch of a diet' or ignore them ..... you are back at work. Good for you!!! You will be fine...find a pal at work who is not saying nasty things....let her / him know how much it is hurting you and perhaps they will take the hint and spread the news for others to be quiet...

Just some thoughts...hope tomorrow is better.

• JeanH
    JeanH Member Posts: 132

Marelegal, thanks

Barb you look beautiful so glad you enjoyed the cruise.

Hugs to all

Jean

• phew
    carol  after mucho emotional pain, for other sthuff, i learned that the attacks anyone can throw at me are thiers.  i found out my feelings get hurt, but i am the one that is responsible for them,  my tool?  sick humor   ex:  wheb my hair fell ourt, for a diff cancer, it was in a very uniform and stylin way.  people commenrted on it, i just said....i know! and it only cost 25K  (so you can tell it was a whil ago)  asked them if they wanted to give them the name of my surgeon, make an appt    or for ex the weight loss if they say stuff clumsily, i make sure to not take it personally.  probly they are jusy envious that they gotta buy a jenny craig program, and you....   so to that i just said:  in know!  i am fortunate .  dont gotta work hard to get this waistline.    if they say i look horrid, then i kinda get bratty.  say you would too.  or at least i think it.   i just say thats temporary, i'll be ok soon enough bottom line?  whatever somone says to me i consider the source, and not take it as a barb, or irnsult,  probly a clumsy gesture of concern    good luck with that!!  and your new travels into BC, rads, etc   ~ ~ Nancy Carol
  • elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

"when my hair fell out, for a diff cancer, it was in a very uniform and stylin way.  people commented on it, i just said...i know! and it only cost 25K"   ~~~phew

Now THAT'S an instant classic!   ROF-BLAD (ROF-braying like a donkey!) Hee-Hawwwwnh!

• phew

not only that, i was a holiday party at George Lucas's ranch, while he was still wuth linda ronstadt.  AND I WAS THE BEST LOOKER !!!!   can it get any better   well, if you gotta have cance and such   ~ ~ NC

• elimar

Oooooh, BarbA, you look so tropical and lovely.  (I'll be lucky to get my husband on a cruise, let alone wear a tuxedo.)  Were you dining with the Captain?????

I'm not in the "Cruise Club" (yet) but enjoying the stories.

Carol6026, don't go by what the co-workers say so much, some very nice people can be total idiots about making appropriate comments.  Some really are well meaning.  For the others. follow the example of phew and have a few snappy replies ready for tomorrow.  Think up some things that will crack you up, and then it's doubly funny if you actually get to say them.

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

Barbara..You look absolutely beautiful and your DH is handsome.

Hello Ladies♥

• heartnsoul76
    phew - a party at George Lucas' ranch? You sure know how to roll when you have cancer! I just stayed in bed!
  • heartnsoul76
    phew - I was thinking about your post about the stabbing pains. Even though I had a lumpectomy, I was having those kind of stabbing pains, too, sort of like bolts of lightning, for months afterwards. Still do sometimes. I'll be talking and all of a sudden let out a little yelp of pain. I asked my surgeon about it and he said that it was the nerve endings trying to rebuild and reconnect after being cut. But I don't know if that's the same thing you're having. I don't have any constant discomfort, but maybe you should mention it to your doctor the next time. I can't count how many times my questions to the docs have been answered with "it's normal", but as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing normal about any of this!
  • eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Amen heartnsoul76-Amen!

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Oooooo Eli, you are naughty!!!!!  ROTFLMAO!  had to look twice before I realised it was the stools!!!  Still ROTFLMAO!!

• phew
    heart:  yes, i was thinking its a nerves-reconnecting thing.  i'll take your prognonsis for 20!   yeah, i was fortunate to have many friends in film industry at that time.  i got todo, ss things that most civilians dont.  not bad for a consolation prize eh?   i'll see your partee with the big kids, and raise you 2 brain surgeries.  ~nancy-carol
  • 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    hey ladies, just reading.. wanted you to know you're on my mind, and in my heart...
  • barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

Thanks everyone. Yes, DH was styling and I was looking mighty fine myself. It was just awesome and I only really gained about 2 pounds.

Eli, I LOVE the nun pic!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

MORE pics!! You promised....

• barbaraa

I have to download my camera. Sometime today I will put some more up.

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

Eli - OMG, good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I saw your new pic.  My laptop would have gotten a shower.

Barbara - more pics, you guys are a styling couple.  I feel better just knowing you had a great time.

Took the weekend off the boards and boy did I miss a lot.

• OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377

Middi's I have been reading and reading and reading!! I will never catch up :) just want to add that I still hot flash (Arimidex) but mostly through my hands and feet, which I think is pretty wierd. I used to have cool hands and feet and now most of the time they are hotter than hell.

Eli, those don't look like the nun's legs that I went to school with! Love the pic..

(((Hugs))) to PM miss seeing her witty posts, give her my love Meece.

Linda

• elimar

Great to hear from you again, OG56!  Any news on a possible move?

I see everyone did a double-take on that nun photo, just like I did.  Surprised

• heartnsoul76

Eph - it's so true, isn't it? I have to see my BS this Friday, dreading it. I'm afraid if I mention something to him I'll get sent off for tests, and on the other hand I'm afraid not to. That wouldn't happen to a "normal" person - they would get the brush-off. I think I prefer the brush-off to my probable hypochondriacal health concerns than an instantly concerned doctor. Man, they keep us fearful! And is it just a good opportunity to order a test? You never know anymore... 

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

Well I had to get the estrogen suppression shot today.  When I had blood work done a couple of weeks ago, it show the tumor markers normal but estrogen went up.  Had to have a pellet injected into my abdomen.  Nurse said it would give me hot flashes and aches for a couple of day, no worries, I'm on Femara, have them all the time.

• barbaraa

For those who can't see the pix on Facebook, here is the link to them on Photobucket.

http://s901.photobucket.com/albums/ac213/barbaraarcher/Cruise%20Pictures/

• jo1955

BarbaraA - I just finished paying for my cruise today.  Can't wait to go.  I have to start booking my shore excursions next.

Nice pictures - thanks for sharing. 

• barbaraa

Jo, the best shore excursion was a trip to a resort where we laid on the beach in lounge chairs, got a massage on the beach and had lunch. Lovely. Another good one was on St Bartts. We had a taxi driver take us all over the island then she took us to her house for rum punch. Also lovely. But the first day we winged it on Virgin Gorda. I had read about a beach called Spring Bay National Park. It is next to the Baths, a very popular and expensive attraction. They are big rocks with the water flowing in and around and the park we went to was right next to it and free. Did you see the beach pic with the big rocks? That was it.

Awesome.