Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    Thanks, Stanzie!  There was no way to know, in advance, when the "cruise" was going to launch.  Sorry that some of my B/C buddies were busy with work, etc. and could not check in for the day's festivities.  Hopefully all will enjoy reading back through it and still "feel the magic."
  • elimar

Did anybody pick up any cool souveniers?  I was so busy with all the activities and I am not a good shopper, but they gave me this beanie at the reggae club.

$2 Reggae beanie Pictures, Images and Photos

• lynniea
    lynniea Member Posts: 336

Went to see OD great visit It shrunk again.  It is now 3.25 X 3 Thank you Jesus

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Lynniea, by OD do you mean your onc? Did he tell you that when it's finally taken out it could actually be smaller or even larger? How are they measuring it? When do you get it out?

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326

Didn't get to go on the cruise, but felt like I was there just by reading your posts. Sounds like everyone had a good time. Maybe I'll make it next time. Well tomorrow's testing day. Getting a little nervous. Had very severe pains going on last night at work. Still hurting this morning/afternoon. Here's hoping it's just the feeling finally coming back. Haven't had feeling there since April 2010, when I had my first surgery. Please keep me in your thoughts. Thanks, Leisa

• carol6026
    carol6026 Member Posts: 20

Hello, hope all are doing good. I have not been on for awhile, trying to catch up on work I missed and spring cleaning. Yesterday was my last day of work and surgery is scheduled for friday. I have only been waiting since January for a final date. I will be glad when it is finally over with. Maybe then I can breathe a little easier.

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

Just arrived.  Hope I haven't missed all the fun.

See full size image

• walker2222

Lynniea - good news, hope you are feeling better.

Meece - Hugs to you, I also hope you can get someone to go with you.

I have a lot to catch up on being out for a few days

Back home now.  My dad responded real well to the chemo, the last day of chemo they needed to give him two blood transfusions and he had to get platelets as well.  His count was 204 Wed. by Sat. they were at 9. I stayed with Dad Sunday night to make sure he was resting until midnight, got up at 5:00am to make sure I was there when the Dr. came in.  It is really hard to see your dad who you always think is bigger than life look frail and weak.  When I left Monday, he did have good color.  I am hoping he gets out today or tomorrow, Dr kept him a couple of more days to make sure his kidneys were not affected and working.

Hubby is talking about a cruise in October along the eastern seaboard to see the leaves change.  That sounds wonderful, it will be a delayed 20th Anv. trip.  Our 20th Anv. is 4/20/2011.

• lynniea
    lynniea Member Posts: 336

No surgery till after chemo

• CandyB
    CandyB Member Posts: 38

This has nothing to do w/BC, but I think you're a good bunch of ladies to run this idea by.  Given the whole cruise, Jamaica, enjoying life thing.  I've been daydreaming about a business I could start in a warm, sunny climate.  Given that I'm 51, limited skill set, and not a large lottery winner or recipient of a large trust fund, I'm having trouble.  But then, I thought  --  how about a cabana boy rental business?  Nothing illicit, just cabana boy standard, legal services -- drinks, towels, coffee, new book, fetch forgotten sunglasses.  If we go away on a vacation, don't we want to be waited upon?  And some places don't supply cabana boys.  OK, I've never stayed at a place that offered one.  So, wouldn't it be nice to rent one?  I think it'd have low overhead.  Scouting out a locale would be great fun.  I have a niece (adult, 33), who's offered to be a "mystery shopper" to make sure the cabana boys are doing their job.  Another niece's husband has offered to train. 

What do you think?  Is this my ticket to a warm sunny place?  By water, of course.

• elimar

leisaparis, I'm concerned because you said severe pain.  I know a lot of us are still having twinges a long time after surgery, but I only had lumpectomy so the surgery area is smaller and I never felt anything that I would call severs.  Mx ladies, have you had what leisa is describing?   Also, concerned because it was IBC.  I would say if you still are really hurting tomorrow, phone the BS, or any docs doing follow up on you could check you out.  We don't have the luxury of "wait and see" any longer.

carol6026, which surgery did you decide on?  We will add you to our thoughts and prayers on Friday (along with Meece and her CN Bx.)  As scary as it might be, I'm glad your waiting is mostly over and you are one step closer to getting thru' this.

lynniea, glad the chemo is doing it's job. 

CandyB, I've never been too visionary when it has come to ideas for starting a business. In the service sector, I think half the battle will just be getting the word out and creating your own market.  I've never used a cabana boy & would fall into the segment of the population that probably would not spend the money to pamper myself in that way.  I'm not saying some wouldn't, but I am saying it is hard to get people to part with a buck given the current economy.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

leisaparis-hope all goes well with your testing. and you find out what is causing the pain.

• carol6026
    carol6026 Member Posts: 20

Elimar, ty, on Friday I am having a bilateral mastectomy, I have to go tomorrow for my dye injections, eight of them. I think the only thing that is scary right now, is the fact that I will have to have 4 drainage tubes, not to happy about this, but I just want to get it all behind me.

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781

Carol- good luck!!! I hope the surgery and recovery go smoothly for you.

• elimar
    carol6026, Oh!  I don't think anyone ever mentioned dye injections the day before.  That is funny that this is the first I ever heard of it.  Not that I am saying you are unusual, because it makes sense and I am assuming it is done so they can locates all your nodes and that it is a common procedure.  There is no way to sugar-coat the part about having the drains.  Everyone has written how irritating they are, but let's hope they do their job and get rid of the fluid, because everyone has written how even more irritating having a seroma can be.  You know what is coming, and I know you can do it.  Hope you have some "caretakers" lined up for the weekend, so you can rest and "sleep off" your surgery hangover.
  • tinkertude
    tinkertude Member Posts: 1,998

om my ladies this looks like a lot of fun!!!1 I would love to climb aboard!!!!!! and sail away!!!!!!

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

I will be praying for a speedy recovery for you, Carol!

• elimar

Hey, look up at the top.  I gave the thread a 10,000 badge.  It's permanent, just like our Cheetos-colored hot flash ribbon.  (Face it, the Mid-Age thread will halways be "home of the hot flash."  Just can't get around that one.)

I was just musing how lucky I was to have began a thread to my own personal liking, then have so many other women come along who wanted to tell their stories and be heard, wanted to reach out to others in support, wanted to inquire when things didn't seem quite right and they were not getting answers, and who wanted to occasionally be lifted from the "routine" of cancer treatment by having a laugh or two.  My thanks to you all!!!

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Thank you, Elimar for starting the thread. 

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

IF I HAVE ONE MORE HOT FLASH IM GONNA SCREAMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!   GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

carol6026 i wish you a sucessful surgery and an easy recovery. I had a bmx in august with two drains in for a week. It was way less of a deal than i expected. I know everyone says that but its true.

I jsut had my tissue expanders put in a week ago. That hurt a lot more than the bmx for me. The pain si not so bad but i did get really sick to my tummy from the meds. I also got thrush and now i have a post nasal drip making my throat scratchy and making me cough.

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

carol6026 i wish you a sucessful surgery and an easy recovery. I had a bmx in august with two drains in for a week. It was way less of a deal than i expected. I know everyone says that but its true.

I jsut had my tissue expanders put in a week ago. That hurt a lot more than the bmx for me. The pain si not so bad but i did get really sick to my tummy from the meds. I also got thrush and now i have a post nasal drip making my throat scratchy and making me cough.

• dawney
    dawney Member Posts: 136

Sheesh, skip a few days and I miss the cruise!!

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

dawney - Sorry you missed one heck of a good time.  Maybe you can join us on the next one.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Carol6026-good luck with your surgery, I hope you heal really fast and have little pain.

Dawney you are not kidding, if you don't check in around here you miss alot.

• blondiex46
    blondiex46 Member Posts: 2,726

Welll I am glad that I wasn't the only one who missed the cruise, can someone book another one sooner than later......

Meece will be with you in spirit....

• walker2222

Carol good luck I had the same dye done to. With the drains just make sure you have your supplies ready. Qtips, gauze, safety pins, not for sure what they will put on you after surgery but hopefully you a Velcro tube top like they gave me. Someone recommended yarn or ribbon to us if you are able to take a shower.

Lisa I had BMX too and can't say I had any pain only twinges. If you are still having pains call your surgeon.

Everyone have a good night.

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

Jo..We will be having a party on the otherCool thread.

Almost 7000 posts.

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Sheila - What other thread?  Stage 1 Sisters?

Clicked over and found it - thanks!  Think I will join that party too. 

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

carol, we will all be there, in spirit. i had a BMX 2 yrs ago. if you can order the vest that holds the tube for you. if not, i used safety pins. that really was the worst part for me. the scars till bother me, but they thickened, and are being reduced by a der.now.. will be thinking of you. go easy, and slow...    3jaysmom