Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781

I combatted a hot flash last night at 2am by getting up , sitting in the dark and eating a few sponfuls of frozen yogurt....worked for me!

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

Just thinking about it - jo and sherry, did y'all have PMS? I would just look at my friends and go, huh?

Maybe it's related, and Meece, maybe if you don't have PMS you won't have hot flashes or a noticeable menopause. 

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

heartnsoul I never had PMS.  My mom went through menopause in her early 40's and almost overnight and she said she never had hot flashes.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Meece I'll be praying for you tomorrow and will see if I can fit into those pockets with the other gals.  Going to dinner with friends and did not know if I would get back in time to get back on tonight.

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Could be.  I don't get PMS, unless that is what I am feeling today.  But I really know what it is about today that is causing me to be weepy.

• Sandeeonherown

I had major PMS but no hot flahses the two years of no menses prior to tamoxifen...I was a little warmer (in that I did not need to wear flanel pjs in the summer any more and one feather duvet was enough)....but nothing major.

• heartnsoul76

Meece - I will be praying for good results and peace of mind for you while you wait. It's so hard.

And I hope you don't get hot flashes, either! :) 

• heartnsoul76

Well, sandee - you and sherry have just thrown my scientific theory out the window! LOL, we women are so different - no wonder men are so confused!

• Sandeeonherown

hearandsoul- oops!!! it was a good heory though while it lasted!!!

• lynniea
    lynniea Member Posts: 336

Me to always hot or cold mostly HOT and sweaty.  I am not feeling good to day nausea a lot.  Can you get this way if no food in stomach

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545
    heartnsoul - PMS?  What is that?  I have been post menopausal for 3 years.  Had raging hot flashes and now next to nothing after being on Tamox for 3 months.  It is actually wonderful and my onc assures me the Tamox is working.
  • Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

My sister did not have any menopause symptoms. i did not have PMS and so far no hot flashes from the T. But i too wonder if it's working.

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

O man I had PMS that was nasty.  OMG there were days I didnt even want to be with myself.  I wish I was one of the lucky ones that didnt have it.  I never took anything for it, but there times hubby says I needed it.  I figured let them suffer, lol.

• Sandeeonherown

Carrol- not having hot flashes does not mean it's not working, if you know what I mean? It could mean you are simply blessed not to have hot flashes:) or you have more estrogen than I did when I started tammi and therefore are not as prone to hot flashes:)

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

If any of you really need assurance that the Tamox. is working, ask your MedOnc to do the CYP2D6 test.  That's the liver enzyme that activates the Tamox.  Up to 10% of people are "poor metabolisers" of drugs that require this enzyme. 

Even tho' I was getting the hot flashes, since Tamox. is a five year commitment with some risks attached to it, I DID want to know if my body was using it properly.  I requested and got the test, and iInsurance did pay for mine.  I found out I was an "extensive metaboliser' which is the norm.  So, I knowthe Tamox. is working whether I am having a flash or not.

• heartnsoul76

My onc doesn't put much credence in that test, but I'm going to ask for it anyway at my next visit. She says she can tell by my blood work if it's working, so I'll rely on that, too. But, just for the extra assurance, I'm going to have that test done.

• elimar

Other than my "Associate's Degree" in B/C, I don't have a medical background.  I wonder what they look at in the blood that indicates that the Tamox. is working.  Let me know if you ask about that.

• Sandeeonherown

heart and soul....I aminterested to know what they check in the blood work too:)

• heartnsoul76

That makes 3 of us! I am definitely going to ask what she looks at. I went to see an endocrinologist that she referred me to the other day, and he told me that my MO was also a hematologist, and she's supposed to be quite brilliant, so there's no telling. I think I get on her nerves by asking so many questions. I'm taking my son as a shield next time - she's crazy about him. I think she wants him to marry one of her daughters or something - LOL! hmmmm.....they would probably have beautiful babies, but I think love's got something to do with it, contrary to what Miss Tina Turner says. 

• heartnsoul76

P.S.  I am not drinking, although I certainly am acting goofy today! :)

Must have been that nap I had...I feel a bit giddy! 

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

I came home from work one day and my DH had put Midol on my bathroom counter. Very, very brave man......

Paula the cruise was only for a couple of hours. Sorry you missed it!

• Sandeeonherown

'out of the mouth of babe's...I used to try and mark it on the calendar to warn my ex but would then get bent out of shape if he mentioned it...now THAT is pms!

• Chili
    Chili Member Posts: 34

tee hee on the midol!  too funny!  I haven't had a period since chemo last summer, (must say i don't miss them at all !!)..   I guess the tamox is working, cause i am definatly in the hot flash club.  In fact, just writing about it, I'm having one now!  I keep a fan at my desk that i turn on and off about 10 times  day..

Here's a question for Barbe 

I was reading back through the last few pages of this thread ( sure was a busy one the last few days) and  i saw you mentioned Costocondritus.  I got hit with that in Dec and January of this year. ( i'm blaming it on rads, but who knows) . Took about 5 weeks of anti-inflammatories and taking it really easy to bring it under control 

I was just wondering, you said you have it... does that mean it still flares up on you now and then?   I DO NOT want to got though that again.. you're not kidding about the extremely painful part when it's full blown.   Just curious if it's something that clears up and your good, or if it's something that comes back?   What's your experience?

My ribs do seem to get sore again sometimes, but it hasn't gotten to the really bad stage again recently... i had 3 bouts of the major pain, each one taking longer to clear up.   Just hoping to be done with it.      

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326

Thanks everyone one for the well wishes, I will find out the results tomorrow afternoon. I'll let you all know what I find out.

• elimar

Fingers crossed for you, leisa, that it's nothing serious.

Meece, same goes for you tomorrow (and I'll cross my toes as well.)

Hope no one else is getting doctored tomorrow, so i don't have to cross my eyes. 

• Meece

Thank you.   They want me to show up at 8 am, so we leave here at 5, which means we wake up around 4.  That is if I get to sleep.

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

barbe, i thought i was the only one who broke in a sweat bending over!when i garden, my neighbors' think im nuuts(not too far off for sure) bc i sit on the ground rake with a handrake, etc, cause i can't bend over,, actually get hot, and dizzy.. weird, huh?    3jays

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

{{{MEECE}}} Prayers are up and I am in your pocket!

(((LEISA))) Prayers for you for good news today!

• Meece

Having a cup of coffee at 4 am.  Leaving at 5.  I suppose we should start loading my pockets in about 15 minutes.  No pushing, shoving or crowding.  I plan on taking each one of you with me. No one will be left behind.

• annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160

Ha! I got the best spot! <hanging on tight to Meece in my monkey way>