Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

Barb I know what you mean, I gave her a big hug (not to tight), asked how she was feeling and to take it easy today.  I only mentioned (hair) looks after she told me I looked cute today and liked my new cut.  (she has the best wigs).  I'm a pixie now.  Just call me tinkerbell.  As soon as I get my new glasses, I will update my picture.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

leisa happy for clear scan, unhappy they do not know what is causing your pain.  Keep after them until they give you answers.

My Dad had his last rads tx today and was to start chemo today but his rbc was low so off to the hospital for a blood transfusion and hopefully his rbc will be ok next week to start.  To look on the bright side at least my parents get a rest this week.

• carol6026
    carol6026 Member Posts: 20

Had my bilateral mast. on friday with lymph node disection. Nodes came back clear, which is good news, in alot of pain, but with meds it is tollerable. The one thing i cannot stand is the drainage tubes, have 4 of them and 2 of them are under the arm pits, very uncomfortable. Ty all for your help and prayers. Hope this makes sense, pain meds kicking in.

• Sherryc

Carol glad it is done and now you can take the time to heal.

• walker2222

Carol - So glad your nodes came back clear. I know the drains are painful but they are only temporary, keep telling yourself that. Just don't be a hero and take the pain meds when you need them.

• walker2222

Sherry glad your dad is done with rads and glad for the break. Hope the transfusion goes well and has no reactions to it.

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477
    Carol6026 congrats on your surgery going well and no nodes yaaaayy! When I had my bmx the first thing they said when i woke u was no nodes. I was so relieved. The drains are awful no doubt about it. Try putting pillows under your arms to keep them away fro  your sides a little I found this helped.
  • jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Carol6026 - Glad the surgery is done and now the healing begins.  Good news on clear nodes.  Sending very gentle hugs.

Sherry - So glad dad is done with rads.  Hope the transfustion goes well.  The break between treatments will do him a world of good. 

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

YIPPIE!!! Pictures, Images and Photos

Carol6026, clear nodes YAY!  How many did they have to remove? 

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781

Carol  - congrats....the relief will kick in soon after the pain meds end.

Sherry/MJ- my dad always said the best place to be when you are sick is in the hospital...true enough...that they want to keep an eye on him is a good thing..better than sending him home befor ehe is ready....Sherry...time in between radiation and chemo will help your dad regain some of his stength...it is hard but will be ok.

• jo1955

Eli - You are too much - cool picture.

• dawney
    dawney Member Posts: 136

Ladies - I am having Bi-Lateral TRAM flap Wednesday morning and I am soooo nervous!!  I ma just ready for it to be over with!

• jo1955

dawney - Best of luck to you and wishes for a speedy recovery.  I will be there holding your hand so you won't be so nervous.

• dawney
    dawney Member Posts: 136

Jo - thanks, but can't I just go with you instead??

• jo1955

dawney - Of course you can.  I will find a space in my suitcase for you.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

dawney, try and chill out tomorrw & don't let your nerves overwhelm you.  You'll have some caring thoughts going out bright and early on Weds. for a smooth surgery. 

A question...do women having reconstruction also have to have the drains put in?

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Eli, there is always the posibilty of having drains placed during recon.  I had to sign papers saying I understood that before both of my recon surgeries.  I was so relieved to wake from anesthesia without them though.

Dawney, praying for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.

(((((((((Dawney)))))))))))

• chelemybelle
    chelemybelle Member Posts: 19

Hi All- I have not not posted since the first week in March and look at all I have missed!  Looks like you had fun on the fantasy cruise.  Had a bad month.  Joints so sore I could barely walk.  Nobody listening to me.  I had to trust my body and speak up and push.  I joined a quick herceptin side effect site and that really helped me.  I did not feel alone in my pain.  I had my Onc. take me off the herceptin.  I have not had an injection since March.  I had 13 of 17 treatments.  The longer I was on this steroid the worse I got.  I can now walk and I am sooooo much happier.  I still have pain in my left arm in elbow and wrist.  I can live with this. I am doing the happy dance and getting on with my life.  Good luck to all and best wishes for future appointments. 

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

barbe, i guess it counts how you grew up.. my grandparents were in Cape Cod, thats def. the ocean, we called it the beach house. my uncle, in Hudson,

Mass., on a lake,some called it also the beach house. we called it the lake cottage.. to me, any water is good. i actually prefer a lake, but that's just me...   

i also wanted to say to leiaparis: i just went all the tests for chest pain, etc.. near the sternum.. now, mind you, after many months of discussion, they tell me they need to ck for possible bone mets.. thank goodness, all was negative!!!

then, the same drs. tell me that when i had the bmx; they had to use "the spreaders" (like what they use to break the sternum in bypass heart surgery) onky, not to the breaking point, and they did it again a yr later, when i had the "dog ear" surgery by the PS.. WHY couldn't they tell me that when i was talking about how sore i was???coulda saved me all the fear...OF COURSE im sore. the PS says probably bad bone bruise, that may never go away...

i went to your home, but couldn't see you had  a bmx.. so, it might not apply.. but, i sure was relieved when i found out...

during all the tests, they mentioned "metal wires"  didn't know they left tumor markers.. i remember asking specifically to the BS if that was done, during surgery, 'cause they FORGOT with biopsies.. he outright  said NO.. now, i found out he did!!! ya just never know what they did while you were asleep, and they INSIST on treating me like a mushroom... keeping me in the dark, and feeding me s**it....     hope all is well for you..      3jays

• jo1955

chelemybelle - Glad you are feeling better and able to do the happy dance.  You see me?  I am right by your side dancing with you. Great news is always good to hear.

3jays - It is sad that doctors don't tell us everything and practically have to beat the information out of them.  Hope you are doing well. 

• walker2222

Dawney - May the Lord wrap his healing arms around you as you have your surgery, pray for positive out come and speedy recovery.

chelemybelle - way to go glad you are doing better

3jays - I wish the Drs. would live in our shoes for a day to see what we have to put up with when we seek answers for the lingering pains we have.  Would they even survive!  They tell you enough to keep you coming back.  Some times I feel like Nemo's dad in finding Nemo when they are following the little bright light and a monster fish with big teeth try to eat them.  Good thing we are also quick on our feet (fins) too.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

3jays, there is NO WAY they used rib spreaders for your dog ears!! Those are under your arms. That's just bullshit. Also, many of us have wanted intramammary nodes biopsied and they say they can't do it without being invasive (rib spreaders!) so that is bullshit too!! I think my ribs were sore because of the drain tubes. They irritated them and I think you begin to heal around them and then they rip them out! Of course they're sore. Why can't docs just admit it?????

Tumor markers are found in your bloodwork not your chest. Those are titanium clips to mark a previous biopsy. Your doc lied again! Why do they not tell you the truth!! With all your medical history you would certainly understand what they're saying if they just told you the real goods. Geez that pisses me off!!!!!!!!!!!! Yell

• jo1955

barbe - It seems this whole experience is full of crap that we have to live with.  Sometimes it is hard to know what is crap and what is not.

• barbe1958

I hate that they think we either can't understand, or can't handle the info!

I remember a magazine ad years ago. It had a woman with red/stuffy? nose and it said:

I have sinus!!!

Um, yep, everyone has a sinus. In fact, we have 5 sinuses! I think they wanted to say sinusitis but thought the word was too big! I have never forgotten that ad.

• Sherryc

Dawney will be praying for you that all goes well.  Will be with you in sprit during that operation.  I think all the other gals here will probably want to join as well.  Can't let you go alone.

Chelemybelle-happy dance for you feeling better.

• barbe1958

Dawney, of course we'll be in there with you!! And we promise not to look when they put the catheter in.....

• 3jaysmom

nope, Barbe, i checked with the PS, he was "fixing" some of the damge the BS did in original surgery! the Bas****! left the wound open to heal, and it got MRSA..almost 2 wks in the hosp., and 1 in Icu. so he thought he'd be "helpful" while fixing the dog ears.. he spread, took scarring, and some more tissue, some excess skin, and i got MRSA from that, too!! im not having one more surgery , thats' for sure. makes me glad i had a BMX to start with!

im now concave, not a shred of tissue left; i can only hope that will improve my odds of no reoccurence. the only dr. i see now is my onco. she's the only one i trust anymore!!!       3jays

• carol6026
    carol6026 Member Posts: 20

elimar, they took 2 nodes from each side. Dawny, will be saying a prayer for you on wednesday, but you will feel somewhat of a relief knowing it is gone and be on your way to a speedy recovery.

• 3jaysmom

me too, Dawney. ill be in your "Johnny" pocket, praying for you!     3jays

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326

Okay, I was right in the middle of a post and POOF, gone. Anyway since my chemo brain just kicked in and I can't remember shit. Good Luck to anyone having tests, surgery, scans, etc. Praying for good results for each & everyone of you. God Bless. Leisa