Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

(I am copying this to several threads, so I apologize in advance if you are reading it twice.)

Well the saga continues and I am frustrated.

* This bx was not like the stereotactic like last time. It was MRI guided so no mammo squishing as last time. Whew!

* They did the first diagnostic MRI and decided NOT to do the bx. It seems that the area in question has reverted to how it looked in Sept 09 when they performed the last bx. Whew!
    * The nurse who started my IV was able to make it in one stick, smoothly getting it in with absolutely not pain or discomfort. Double WHew!

* So now I have to have another diagnostic MRI in July. Not-Whew!
    * There is a new spot of interest in the 4:00 position. Not-Whew!
    * They will/can not biopsy that site because it is too close to the implant. Not-Whew!
    * Although I am not menopausal, I had a medical procedure to stop my periods five years ago so I do not know where in my hormonal cycle I am and the MRI should be 10 days post period, so it is not going to be easy to compare the MRIs for the same "time of the month". Not Whew!

* The radiation damage to the other breast makes comparing breast changes in the other one impossible. Not-Whew!

So although the news is tenatively good (The abnomality is not as bad as it was) it is still in the abnormal range as it was 18 months ago, I am facing a third MRI in a six month period, and more waiting!I also get to be concerned about another area showing up.

I feel like the boy who cried wolf. Thank you all for your love and concern and for being with me during the whole thing. I thought of as many of you as my spinning mind could as I was in the machine, it really helped take my mind off things. You are special women!!!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    You didn't cry wolf!!! We'd want to know that you were scared and we could try to jolly you out of it! You were very BRAVE....Cool
  • annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160

I agree with Barbe- not even close to crying wolf Meece- we are fighting a formidable predator and you are a WARRIOR my friend, a true warrior

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

{{{MEECE}}}

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

Phooey, I just lost my whole post, Meece!

You didn't cry "wolf", you bravely marched in there to have a biopsy - I agree, you are a warrior! The doctors just cried "wait"....sigh. Easy for them to say, hard for us to do. I have to have a 3rd scan on something in 2 weeks, then wait 6 months and scan it again and THEN, if no changes, my doctor will dismiss it. It's hard to wait when you know you have something dwelling inside you.

I'm just so happy you didn't have to have a biopsy, but I know you are so tired of watching something!  (((Meece)))

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    Meece, Glad to hear you dodged the bullet on the Bx.  Like you pointed out, it was a kinda good, kinda not-so-good mixed bag of a diagnostic day.  We all know it could have been a  lt worse, so I'm happy for you.  A lot of us are in that category of something not quite right and being "watched" every six months.  Makes you feel like you are on "yellow alert" that could get upgraded to "red" at any the time.  Definitely nerve-wracking!
  • heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

That's EXACTLY what it feels like, Elimar! I wish I could self-hypnotize myself and after onc appointments convince myself that my "terror alert" is green and then coast along at green with no worries.

I'm going out of town for a few days - going to my brother's beach house. Although it's not a very convenient time, I guess beggars can't be choosers. Leaving today, so should get there in time to watch the sun go down....and hear the sea roll in....Wink

• elimar
    HnS76, I want stow away in one of YOUR pockets.  Is it on the ocean?  Now is a good time to find shells AND I'm good at collecting shark's teeth too.
  • barbe1958

Doesn't a beach house HAVE to be on the ocean? Otherwise, it would be called a cottage...right? (and be on a lake...)

• elimar

Not exactly, Barbe...technically, a beach house only needs a beach.  Well, I was thinking that she's probably going to the Atlantic coast, but maybe it's a beach house on the Gulf.  My question wasn't that invalid.

• barbe1958

Huh, 53 years of wrong-thinking! Embarassed I wasn't questioning the validity of your question El, but of her potential answer! hehehehehehehe

• elimar

Us landlocked folks can't really be expected to master that coastal terminology anyway.

• barbe1958

To me the edge of a lake is just that. The edge of the lake. You're either in water or on sand/dirt. A beach however, brings up pictures of azure water, foam in the sand at the waters edge, the smell of coconut sun lotion and drifting off in the sun as I "read" my novel. At a lake it's flies and mosquitos crawling on sweaty skin, freezing water and the whine of boats and sea-dos whipping around. Totally different!

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326
    Hey gals, Wanted to let you all know that all my scans came back cleanSmile. No cancer. However they haven't a clue as to what's causing the pain in my chest & backFrown. If you took a skewer and pushed it through the front of my chest at the pain sight and shoved it all the way through to the back that is where the pain is, front & back. So they are gonna try some mild pain relievers first. If that doesn't work then steroids. Not really wanting that to happen. Just now loosing the weight from the first time. CANCER SUCKS. Thanks for all the well wishes & prayers, they helped so much. Leisa
  • jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Leisa - Congrats on the clear scans.  Bummer you are having chest and back pains.  I hope you find some relief soon and don't have to do the steriods.  They can be nasty.  Well wishes going out to you.

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Meece I'm so glad things were abit better for ya.  I sill have ya in my prayers.

Leisa congrats an the good news. 

Ok so I dont sound al gloom and doom like, Taxol really can suck.  I'm thankful that I dont have the nausea like I did from the A/C, but man do I feel like crap.  My hips on down feel like someone is stabbing me over n over in several differnt spots.  If any of you gals have had this problem how did you get thru it.  Exercise is an issue due to the fact that sometimes just the weight if the rest of my body causes me pain. Any thoughts would be helpful.  Thanks.  I dont see the Onc until Friday.  She did give me Narco but that really didnt help much. 

Other then that it so beautiful outside today.  I'm so glad its finally getting warm.  The warm sun on my face AAAWWWWEEEEEEE!  Have a sun filled day all! 

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781

Leisa...have they done heart checks?

• leisaparis

Yes, I had both those scans last week.

• elimar
    Leisa, I have sometimes felt a stabbing pain in my back on the treatment side.  I wondered if it was an "exit wound" from the rads but the doc said it doesn't penetrate that deep.  I had various back pains before but nothing like this piercing pain (and it's similar to what you described.)  Regardless of what the docs admit to (which is very little!) could rads be the culprit on this too?  Did you have radiation?
  • barbe1958
    I'm still thinking Costochondritis for Leisa.....the docs will agree with me soon. Cool
  • annettek

Hope you get an answer soon Leisa...and Barbe...I gotta say I LOVE YOU girlfriend...why don't you live closer? I guess I gotta find a way to get up to Ontario....(busy searching for conferences ,,,,)

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

Leisa, congrats on the clean scans but so sorry you don't have an answer! Hugs!

• leisaparis

El - yes I did have radiation & they did shoot some into my back. I had radiation burns back there too. The pain is coming just below the radiated spot.

Barbe - my dr. did say something @ the pain seems to be coming from my rib cage, so we'll see if it persists and they have to look at it again.

• barbe1958

Costochondritis is one of those things that you have to eliminate everything else before you can know. I had a year of pretty extensive heart testing as I already have valves issues (leaking) and it all came back with nothing new. As I already have arthritis everywhere else, it was given as a final diagnosis. VERY, VERY breath taking painful!! I am on a lot of pain meds anyway, so the fact that it breaks through all of that is amazing. Poor me.....sigh. Poor Leisa......sigh.

Annette, I'm taking the last 2 weeks of April off. Come on up and help me greet SPRING!!!!!!!

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Barbe & Leisa - Hugs to both of you.

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781

Leisa- I was told by my radiologist that sore ribs post -rads is VERY common. Mine are so sore I can't wear my favourite bras any more...tender on both sides, but I did not have burns on my back as you did. Sorry you ar ehaving such a rough time.

Barbe- No wonder you have such a good sense of humour! you are dealing with a ton....holy dinah! Wish life were simpler

• annettek

Barbe- I have had condoblablahblahitis as well...IT SUCKED- I was convinced I was having a heart attack and death was imminent...doc called it asap- she is a treasure...it was while I had PINKEYE...all before the BC DX...it is a very harsh pain...it finally went away. and the doc told me it is often overlooked and misdiagnosed..

I sure wish I could make it up there- how wonderful to have two weeks off! I have to really kick butt at work and get ready for the damn talk I have to give in Atlanta on 4/27. I always feel like someone is going to stand up and say get the hell out of here why are you telling us anything hahahaha...hugs gonna go get mom finally

• OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377

Yeah Lisaparis and Meece B9 results...

I have seriously been smiling about the "alert" colors for all the testing we go through. I especially loved the "Terrorist" because that is how I feel when it is time for a test on "something suspicious"  I am constantly on the Orange level of alert and I would like more moments when I don't feel like there is a terrorist group planning an attack Surprised 

Linda

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

Meece - glad for your good news this timeCool, not so glad that you have to go backYell.

Leisa - yeah for your test results but hope they can find you relief for your pains.  My rad went all the way through too. 

All they are keeping my Dad in the hospital for at least two more weeks for observation and more transfusions.  His MO did not tell us up front that this would be as long a process as it is turning out to be.  My sister that lives here in the area with me drove to be with him this week.  If I would have known more up front I would have waited and took my turn later.  My other two sisters are back at their jobs and family this week.  We need to get our bro on the bandwagon as well.  Dad is feeling well and is good spirits chasing the nurses now (not really) and giving them hugs.  I know he is being taken care of but wish I could do more.  I understand the reason they want him close is for the transfusions and in case he gets a fever, but there is a nursing home in his home town that he can be in to do his PT, blood tests and transfusions.  He dr wants to see him three times a week and the sisters cannot run him to the dr since it is a two hour drive both ways each time.  I'm ranting I know.

Good news, my coworker just returned today after her recovery from her BS surgery.  She had a partial mx with reduction on non tumor side.  She looked really good and in good spirits.

• barbe1958

MBJ, whatever you do, don't tell her she looks good! ehhehehehe

The best place for your Dad is in the hospital. I'd feel a lot safer if it was my Dad. The reaction is a lot quicker there, no transportion if something starts to go sideways. Too bad they hadn't filled you all in like you say. I hope you told the docs that mistake so they keep you guys up to date in the future. What were they thinking? None of the women work or something?????