Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Tink - I plan on doing the same thing when I seen mine in June - when in June do you go?  My follow up is June 20.

• tinkertude
    tinkertude Member Posts: 1,998

I havent made the appt yet lol... but probably the beginning to mid june.. we are supossed to leave for the beach on the 20th so i want to gether and the breast surgeon out of the way before i go because when i come back i have to get ready for surgery again...

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

If you had an early Stage B/C and had clear nodes, you may or may not get the tumor markers checked, depending on your own doctors preference to monitor them, and maybe if you were a Grade 3.  I do think most Stage IVs get them monitored. 

• jo1955

Eli - I was early stage hormone receptor positive, stage 1A, Grade 2 so many he does not do them.  Think I am gonna ask anyway just to see what he says about them.

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978

Ok you told me to ask ask ask - The surgeon only mentioned radiation when he talked to me - what determines whether you need chemo or not?  I know I will ask the same question monday but I am confused with the other IDC ladies on the forum because it seems they have had chemo too.

Oh and on my path report there was no place that stated a stage# - when does that happen?

• jo1955
    GmaFoley - My path report showed the grade but not the stage.  How my onc determined the Stage, I do not know.  It did show ER/PR & HER2 numbers which he explained to me and what they meant.  I am assuming, based on that information, he was able to tell me I would not meed chemo.  This was before surgery and before I had found out I had negative nodes.  I have learned that each onc does things differently and you may read others with varing stories.  It is best to talk to your onc and find out what he/she says.    
  • elimar

Here's BC.org's article that tells all about Stages:  STAGES OF BREAST CANCER

• OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377

My oncologist at Sloan said that they do tumor markers for all women who had invasive breast cancer, however I had to ask @ my first visit and then he said "oh yes we will". I just love that MSK has a patient portal and I can go online and see my lab work and I can e-mail my BS. I wish that were true for all my Dr's.

I am packing up and getting prepared to make the 1300 mile move home in just 3 weeks. I have one more visit with my BS and my bone scan and if all is clear I am done until August. I have decided that I will come back to NY for my follow ups because I don't want to change Dr's. I will if I ever decide to have a DIEP because then I won't have to be monitored every 6 months. It's funny because now my friends and some of my family say enough with the biopsies just do it already but I still feel so reluctant and yet I feel I am always waiting for the proverbial other shoe (or in this case boob) to drop. I just want a crystal ball.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

• elimar

That's not the easiest thing, to keep going back to NYC for your follow-ups, but I know how you can kind of "bond" with your B/C team.  Do you think you will do that til you reach the 5 yr, point?

• ma111
    ma111 Member Posts: 167

Jo and others,

Tumors markers are a protein or other substance that the tumor makes and is in your blood stream. It is only present in advance breast cancer. Stage I and II do not normally have markers because there is no spread of the cancer.

Path reports are only part of the picture to base staging on. Staging is based on the tumor size, number of lymph nodes involved and if there is cancer in any organs and bone. National Cancer Institute has detailed information and will even help you find information you want about your particular situation. There information is up to date and can be trusted. The on line help is open until 11:00pm eastern time. I found it very helpful researching what I wanted to know. Pubmed is another site I like and trust. I have been anal about finding out whatever I can and reading it at different sites because I don't always like what I read.

Thanks for the prayers for me!

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

I am really looking forward to them getting this thread back on track, the only way I can somewhat know where I ended is if I posted, I go to search in this topic and it will take me to the last time I posted.  I had 5 or 6 pages since my last post!  Guess I have some catching up to do.

• annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160

Waving at meece so she can find the end of the tunnel:)

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

I mentioned the problems with this post still being a problem and got a message from the mods yesterday that they are still working on it.

• Meece

Everything seemed to fall apart when the upgraded the site a few weeks ago.

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

As one who does IT for a living, snafus while upgrading are perfectly normal. And that is what they pay us the big bucks for...NOT!!

• jo1955

Meece - Glad to see you back.  Can you see us in the distance? We are waiting for you.

• blondiex46
    blondiex46 Member Posts: 2,726
  • annettek

Hiya Blondie- thanks for the beautiful picture to launch our Sunday- here is a big fat texas hug:)

• Meece

Oh well, I am sure I can pretty much catch up if I start  from here.

• sheshe48
    sheshe48 Member Posts: 19

Do u all mind if I join ur group? I will be 52 this month.

• Meece

Welcome, sheshe!

• elimar

Meece, I can truly appreciate your new profile pic.  So when were you out hobnobbing with Chester The Cheetah?  I still like his snack food, but had to cut back to keep the Tamox. lbs. off.

annettek, you changed your pic too, I see, but I will miss the flying goat (especially now that I found out it was a GOAT.)

Thanks, Barbe, for mentioning this particular thread toThe Mods as one still having troubles.  I never did contact them about it because I noticed it on several threads so I just figured it would all get fixed together eventually.  I'm getting tired of reading page 42. I did put that little blurb at the top for ladies just tuning in.

• annettek

welcome sheshe

Elimar- the goat will be back:)

• jo1955

welcome sheshe - The Middies are a wonderful group of very supportive ladies.  They have certainly gotten me through the tough times.

• Meece

Well, Elimar, Chet (he likes it when I call him that) has one of his facilities a few miles from my home, so he came out to walk in or Relay for Life.  His team had free samples at their site.  I have been cutting back, but did endulge in a small bag of puffed gold (or orange as it is).  I was wondering if you'd notice.  I don't like to flaunt our relationship.

• annettek

Meece- you little vixen! I won;t tell anyone if you ship me a case of hot crunchy ones.....

• elimar
    Going on record with my jealousy.  YellWink
  • annettek

elimar- maybe we can entice him away from the little huzzy....:)

• elimar
    annettek, you have a better chance of that than I do.  I think "Chet" is a native of TX, considering Frito-Lay World Headquarters are there.  He was probably just visiting out in CA.  Or maybe he was only a "helper Cheetah" like how those mall Santas are.
  • Meece

The plant we have makes Lays, Fritos, Doritos, Tostitos Scoops, Baked Lays, and Rold Gold Pretzels.  But I have been putting a bug in Chet's ear that I need Cheetos that are local.  Believe me, Elimar, he is "The Real thing" (Even if it is a PepsiCo division!)

Annette, I'll share my Cheetos if you take back the huzzy comment.  I may or may not share Chet.