Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

reesie, what chemo maintenance are you doing now?  Were you a Stage IV at your initial diagnosis, or is this a recurrence from an earlier battle with The Beast?

NEVERMIND.  I just read through your profile.  I always FORGET to check those.  You have quite the saga already with such a recent diagnosis.  It is pretty amazing that the bones have responded so quickly and so well.  Is the bone pain gone now?
  • reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413

elimar, the bone pain is gone sort of...now I have the pain of healing bones and that is even getting better every day.  I've just recently begun to walk almost everywhere I go, just not long distances.  And I've started driving to, but usually only to work with my son to help me in to the office when I get there (so he can sleep some in the car - it's an hour drive, lol).  The plan is for me to be able to do it myself in the next week or so since I'm transitioning toward not needing the wheelchair at all quickly now.

I have to give a lot of credit to my family - although I hated being bedridden so long it probably saved me a lot of pain and surgery and even longer recovery time.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

WOW I have missed alot. 

Welcome to the newbies, this is a great place to come and hang out.

So glad the witch is dead!!!!!!!!!!!Woohoo, thanks to all of our Military for such a wonderul job that they do.

Jean prayers going up for your MOM

Meece so glad your DS is back on US soil

• tinkertude
    tinkertude Member Posts: 1,998

just dropping in to say hi ladies!! hi sherry and Jo I see you wonderful ladies here too :)

have a good day!

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Gma Foley-my onco score was 42-surprised the surgeon & the med onc to the max--so chemo was done.

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

I'm so PROUD of our soldiers! They know what needs to be done and how to get it done - GOD BLESS THE U.S. SOLDIER!

Meece - thank your boy for us! So glad he's home safe and sound! 

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Glad you son is home Meece! God Bless Ameria!! (and it's friendly northern companion Canada, of course!)

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

We love our northern neighbors! I'll never forget what Canada did when our planes couldn't land in NYC on 9/11. Gander, Newfoundland was amazing! That small town just opened their homes to thousands of stranded passengers - it was beautiful!

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

haven't been around for awhile.. have missed you all. Im amazed they finally got ben laden!!! i was unaware, they were still hard at it... they  say you can run, but you cannot hide..

a BIG thanks to our Navy Seals, and all in the service.   MEECE: so glad Matts' on american soil! and on a day that wash. going nuts with gratitude for our soldiers.. a great homecomuing!!!   gonna go back & read more.. happy for all the newbies. not that you HAVE to be here, but that you found us!      3jays

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

JeanH I will do the happy dance for ya on the 12th while your sleeping.  Cause Ill be out of it on the 13th.  Im glad to see ya posting.  You have been in my thoughts and prayers.

Welcome to board Ressie

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    Path report came back - All margins are clear of cancer - They got it all. Praise God...Now off to the oncologist this afternoon for treatment plan.
  • walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

God Bless American and our Armed Forces and God Bless our Allies.  I was reading on my I phone when I got the blip from NPR News Hour update and I yelled Yea.

To the new ladies who have just joined welcome, welcome.

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

GmaFoley - Big congrats on the clear margins.  Let us know what your treatment plan will be.

• Paula66

Congrats GmaFoley!!!!!!!

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

Congrats GMA Foley!

And God Bless the USA!!!!  and all of its armed forces.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

GMA Foley-congrats on clear margins.

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

Welcome to all newcomers over the last 3 pages or so - you found a good thread :)

Thanks for all the well wishes about my NY weekend. Anytime I'm with my girls is special, but NY just  makes it ten times as much fun! Lion King lived up to all the hype, it's a great show and we had a wonderful morning/afternoon/evening/night :)

Be good to yourselves this week and I'll catch everyone later.

• elimar

GmaFoley, that's good news!   Has anyone mentioned getting the Oncotype Dx to you?  That is a gene test they can do on the tumor lump that was removed (no additional surgery needed) and it can tell whether chemo would have any worthwhile benefit for you.  It is most often used for early stage women, with zero or just a few nodes involved, and if you are ER/PR+.  It usually takes about two weeks to get results since it gets sent to California.  You can find more info. on this website or Google to learn more.

• annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160

marlegal- glad you had a wonderful time in my favorite city:)

Gma= that is awesome news

Meece- so very very happy and relieved your son is on u.s. soil

• jo1955

Elimar - I have learned from this website that not all oncs do the oncotype dx test.  Mine did not - said since I was so early stage he did not feel the need for it.  Besides being a very expensive test, it is not always needed to determine if chemo will be part of the treatment plan.  

• elimar

jo, yes, I do know all that, but luckily I had read enough on this website to ASK for one anyway.  My insurance covered it quite well (but some of them won't cough it up for the genetic testing, I have read.)  I looked at it as one base I actually wanted to cover, because as unlikely as it would have been for me to have a high score, there are surprises sometimes.  Ask Eph about hers.

• jo1955

Elimar - I hear what you are saying, but by the time I even read the words oncotype dx test it was several months after I had my surgery and I'm sure by then it was too late to get the test done.  Too bad we are not told about all these things at the first oncologist appt.

• Paula66

Mine Onc didnt do one for me.  She went to a differnet place and put all my info in.  Its shows how each level of treatment would help me.  Then she gave me her recommendation on what she thought would be the best way to go.  I did find info on here as to the type of info  she used.

• elimar

jo, That is precisely why I thought to bring it up to GmaFoley at this time, because her decisions have not all been made yet.

P-66, Youmight be thinking of Adjuvant Online?  My MO did that too.  He didn't tell me what it was, but again, I had found out about it online first, so I asked him if that is what he was using.  Then, I asked him to make me a copy.

• jo1955

Elimar - You know hingsight is 20/20.  I wish I had this kind of information at a time when I could have insisted on having the test done.  Heck, I would have paid for it myself - although I am pretty confident my insurance would have taken care of it.

• Paula66

You Eli I do need to get my papers and reread them, so when I post I know whats going on.  Its been awhile since I looked at them.

• elimar
    jo, I, too, would prefer to hear all my options.  I also like for docs to tell me HOW they arrive at their own recommendations for me.  On one hand, it is a lot of info. up front and it can be overwhelming; on the other, it serves no purpose to learn about things after the fact.  I wish I had found this site before my surgery, but luckily I did come here just a couple weeks after it, so it really helped me wrap my mind around which treatments I could accept.  At the time, I felt like saying "no" to all of them!  By the way, your tumor is preserved somewhere, in a block of parafin, and you COULD have the Oncotype test done even now, but I don't know that there would be any advantage to doing it.  It is a good decision making tool for us Early B/C Birds tho'.
  • jo1955

Elimar - If my tumor is in fact preserved somewhere, there is no point in having the test done now and I am finished with active treatment - other than Tamox.  It is a good decision making tool for us.  As I think back now, it seems I did not have time to blink and I went from dx to surgery to an attempt at Mammosite to reg rads and then it was over.  Whew!  Sure glad it is all behind me now.

• elimar

I had a Mammosite failure myself.  It was actually the Contura balloon.  I ended up not having enough clearance to surface skin...but this was AFTER I had it surgically placed.  Now, I have a little bullet hole scar as a souvenir of that.

• jo1955

My Mammosite failure was due to the radiation oncologist trying to get a round balloon fit into an oval lump cavity.  What a dimwit.  So, I too have a little bullet hole scar as a souvenir.