Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388

a tree stump with lots of fungus in various colors

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326

???  Inside of a quarts rock  ???

cut tree trunk

come on Sunday

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

I'm going to givie it up.  The last two answers were getting SO close.  It is PETRIFIED WOOD.  So "tree" is what it was, but now all the organic tree material has been replaced by minerals, probably silica (non-crystaline quartz) and other trace elements which give it the variety of colors.  The colors on that one, I think, are enhanced by a bright light shining on it.  It looks cool.

So, leisaparis, having both "tree" and "quartz" in your answer, you came the closest.  I invite you to post another WEEKEND MYSTERY PIC next SATURDAY (Friday night would be o.k., if you are busy on Sat.) and let us know if anyone is correct on SUNDAY (or Mon., if you are gone Sun.)

• elimar

I remember reading something about the "metaphysical properties" of Petrified Wood (most likely in an ancient scholarly publication that my mother had, The National Enquirer.)  The properties were Endurance, Freedom From Worry, and help Coping With Stress. 

Take two Petrified Woods and call me in the morning!

• Elimar,  Thanks so much for trying to help me out with the memorable miles contest....I think I am now up to #24 and if I can get to the top 20, I will be thrilled.  I am making my last effort this weekend to get people to vote today and tomorrow.  I tend to get all worked up and excited when I have a goal and just keep on hammering away and it is little diversions and projects like this that I feel keep me going.  Thanks again middle-aged women for voting in the miles contest .....I used to be on here a lot, and still think middle-aged, but felt like I needed to go to the older thead once I hit the Big 60 (which believe me, I was thrilled to reach...cancer changes our opinion on aging). I may try to come up with a mystery pic for you.  

DREAM & REDEEM from American Express apps.facebook.com Check out my photo at the Memorable Miles photo contest from American Express. Vote for my entry and help me win 100,000 miles!     

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

I voted!

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Thanks Marybe for the reminder, just put in my daily vote.  GOOD LUCK!!!!!  Whatever Im able to do for another BC sister Im in.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Marybe my vote today showed you at #23.

• Oh, thank you, thank you.  Hope you are all having a good Sunday.  If any of  you have a cause or campaign to get me going on when this is over let me know. I thrive on things like this. 

DREAM & REDEEM from American Express apps.facebook.com Check out my photo at the Memorable Miles photo contest from American Express. Vote for my entry and help me win 100,000 miles!     

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

I voted and it is still at 23.

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

Just voted.  I voted yesterday too.  (You can only vote once per day?)  Good luck Marybe!

• Kay_G

I have an idea.  I'm not tech savvy.  But could you tell me how to get that hyperlink on my facebook page and I'll ask my facebook friends to vote for Marybe as well.  Not that I have hundreds, but I bet some of them at least would vote.  Wish I were more tech savvy.  Thanks.

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

Go to the Dream and Redeem page in Marybe's link. At the bottom is a little Facebook icon. Click that and it will share to your home page on FB.

• sunangel27
    sunangel27 Member Posts: 234

Just voted for you Marybe.. :)

Just a short note to say heyyyyyyyyy to all of you ladies......it's been a long few hard weeks for me, but I will be back soon :)

Hugs!!!!!
    Paula M

• OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377

Just voted for you Marybe, I hope you win it would be awesome to be able to fly for free wherever you need to go!  Good Luck

• Kay_G

Thanks for the info.  I shared it on my account.  I hope some of my facebook friends will vote for you too.  Good luck.

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781

Blondie- I feel a bit like you too....waiting until June 7 when I have had my meamogram and ha ve met with my cardiologist before I decide on job and life plans....tired of making plans as I have this year to have them fall through. I tend to be a spontaneous, decide right now kind of gal....but had planned vacations and other events and they fell through because of health stuff so....I am going to wait for June befor eI plan another big thing and then will decide fmor there what to do.

Last night I 'outed myself' with regards to my heart attack, and cancer, to an audience of over 300 people...had been asked to give a testimonial in the middle of our 2 hour choir concert....wasn't as hard as I had thought....humour comes out in very odd ways...but there is a message to be told and all of us who talk about it...to one person, ten people, an auditorium full of them....are reminding another woman to get a mammogram, have their blood pressure checked etc....I had a number of women I didn't know come up to me at the reception after the show say "I am very glad you knew to call 911. I am glad you are alive" and hug me....overwhelming...another woman said "You saved someone's life tonight....by talking about this, you have saved someone;s life"....remember that ladies...every time you talk to someone about breast cancer, you are potentially saving a life....or making their breast cancer journey easier somehow by catching it early. (just my thoughts for the day....)

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Sandee - Very well said - there is a whole lot of truth in what you shared.

• Sandeeonherown

Thanks Jo....it felt good to say it out loud....oddly enough

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Sandee - It usually does feel better when you say it out loud - somehow it makes more sense.

• elimar

Sandee, you launched your own awareness program, and it was a success!  I think the feeedback you got shows the positive impact you had on them.  Good job, girl!

That is why I am not really sure why some people come out so against the Breast Cancer Awareness programs.  I do get that the money spent on "awareness" could be put toward finding a cure.  That I get.  I think the greatest contention is among Late Stage, because "awareness" doesn't do them much good, does it?  Of course, CURE should be the main objective, but I do think that "awareness" save lives too.   

Before something can become an action, there needs to be a thought. (Among sapiens, at least.)  So, if all the walks and rallies and pink in peoples faces actually does get people to think about regular screenings/exams, the more likely they are to act on it...then "awareness" does save some lives.  Wouldn't it be mind-blowing if some ten year old's first "awareness" was getting one of those hokey pink bracelets, then 20 years later be on the cutting edge of some new B/C research?  You just never know.

• Sandeeonherown

Thanks Jo/Elimar....yeah...awareness though...without awareness there would be far more women with late stage cancer, dying of heart disease and ending up with diabetes and MS...but yes...finding a cure is ideal...and finding more succsessful reatments for our stage 2+ sisters is essential for sure.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Marybe, you were #22 just a minute ago when I voted for the day.

• MWS
    MWS Member Posts: 13

HI Helana.... I feel like I do not belong either... 41 and have a 12 year old and a 9 year old... 

• Kay_G

I'm 48 with a 13 y.o.

• annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160

wow Sandee, that is a big deal and important. so proud of you-I think sometimes when we say something out loud it removes some of its power over us. BIG HUGS and here is to making plans!

• elimar

That opening I wrote has come up several times as a stumbling block as to whether people fit in here or not.  That was only a generalized statement...even I did not fit the description to a "t."  Please don't read the opening like some kind of checklist...it isn't.  So, MWS and kay-from-philly, if you are willing to embrace your middle-agedness, you are both welcome here.

• Kay_G

I am!  I also have a 20 and 22 y.o.

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Hi Kay and MWS, welcome!

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

Sandee I just love that you shared your story and it was so well received. Awareness is key to any disease or condition so that woman saying that you might have saved one life tonight had to feel overwhelming, because it could be true. Kudos to you my friend :)

Eli thanks for the reminder that the guidelines for "joining" this room are loose - if the name of the thread interests you, by all means join in!

Annette when you shared your story with us about your son (for newbies, he is autistic) that led, I am sure, to many people trying to find out more information too. I was happy to share that our daughter has been a behavior therapist with autistic children since 1998 and we just couldn't be more proud of her, so every time one of us shares something, it opens doors for other conversations.  For me, it tends to be about LE and education on that front and I'm always sooo gratified when someone sends me a PM for more info and I think that maybe, just maybe, that info will prevent one case of LE down the road.

Bottom line, I've said it many times before ... this vehicle that we all found that enables us to share our lives, our troubles, our joys, our insights ... I just find it amazing and am so very grateful it's here for us. That we also become friends is such delicious icing on a wonderful cake.