Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Mine keeps bouncing to page 40, too.

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007

Why is this the only thread with this problem?

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

I just deleted all of my history thinking that may help...but it didn't.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Thanks Seyla, for posting the pic so we could see all of our blooms together.  I know the family had  "in lieu of flowers" to donate to the ACS.  Well, I already do that anyway.  I think this bouquet was a nice way to let the family know that Lisa was thought of, prayed for, and cared about by many of us, and that even through a horrible disease Lisa found a group of friends.  

I have no idea how long this thread will be around, but I am keeping a tiny pic of those orange flowers up at the top as a symbol for Lisa, so she will be on every page and in our memories.

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Great idea Eli.  She will be remembered with fondness.

• elimar

Now, for my next thread duty of the day, I will contact The Mods to let them know we are still having problems.  I hadn't before, but I think some did mention it to them.  It was not that big a deal and I thought it would be a matter of days til things got sorted out, but it seems like we've gone on this way for a month now.  I'll see if we can get it corrected.  BRB.

• Luah
    Luah Member Posts: 626

Barbe, so true!

I'm glad Lisa's BCO friends were so well represented by that beautiful bouquet of pink hugs. She was a great contributor to our Triple Neg thread, and I miss her!

I've been lurking here for a bit following her news. Since I fit the criteria (being 54) and you seem like such a lovely bunch, I'll check in more frequently.

PS I don't sem to have any problem logging in to the last page, maybe now that I've posted that will change...

• elimar

I'm borrowing a topic (from a thread I saw a few days ago) that was about the label of "SURVIVOR."  Some liked it, some not so much.  I'm fine with it, but I'm good with most of the descriptions we give ourselves; adopting the Shakespearian "a rose by any other name would smell as sweet" philosophy about it.

I enjoyed reading the various opinions on that thread, but wanted to know what feeling do you all have on the term "survivor" or the other ones?  

Also, saw that the cruise that some of the members are going on (Have a good time mumayan!) is called  the "B/C Thrivers" cruise.  I like that too.  We hope to thrive; tho' some are striving to stay alive and keep surviving.  I got caught up in a self-indulgent rhyme scheme, oops!  :-)

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

the flowers were beautiful thanks for posting.

Barb well said, you are so right the things we post here are truly form out hearts.

Elimar-Mine is working fine, always takes me to the last place I was at.

• elimar

I send out greeting to leona5, cathycan, Huskerkkc, MinusTwo, Faulkh, and Luah!  I know it might be hard to "jump" in to a thread of this size, but I can tell you that we always like (but hate the reason why we are) meeting new members (and lurkers too.)  

We don't have a "topic" other than B/C and being Middies.  I should say, we have many sub-topics, going on at once and changing over time.  So just jump in!  You might bring up something we discussed on page 100.  Well, that's fine, we don't expect any Newbie to have read all the back pages (although you would undoubtedly get a lot of laughs if you did.)  And we don't care, because we can hardly remember that ourselves.

• elimar
    Got a reply from The Moderators already, and they will try to set things straight for us here and get us all opening to the most currecnt page.  Hang in there peoples.
  • Sherryc

Have a question??? I am 48 prementapausal and one tamox.  Went to get my hair cut and colored and my hairdresser tells me my hair has really thinned in the last three months.  That is how long I have been on Tamox.  Has anyone else had this.  She is ordering Nioxin starter kit for me to use to see if that helps.  I have heard good things about it.  Anyone here ever used it.  Also someone told me to take biotin which I started a month ago because of my nails.  They were not great before but have gotten worse so I wonder if that is Tamox as well.  I metabolize tamox exemtrely well and have had just about all the SE's that can be had.  So I am thinking this is also from Tamox.  Any thoughts out here?????

• elimar

My hair is not noticeably different, but my nails have gotten thinner since the Tamox.  This could be the Tamox., or natural menopause may be the culprit.  If I remember, I take folic acid which is also good for hair (and nails, I hope.)  

• Sherryc

The biotin has folic acid and B something in it can't remember without looking at the bottle.

• leona5
    leona5 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks elimar  for your greetings and Hi to everyone!Daily dose of figs, dates, honey, almonds and application of coconut oil or olive oil keeps nails and hair healthy. Slow  oil massage( heated castor oil+ coconut oil) on the head and a hair wash after half an hour increases volume and makes your hair bounce.Smile.Goose berries slows greying of hair...
  • elimar
    Something tells me you will also like another thread, leona5...It's called "Natural Girls," and it's a sharing of the use of natural and holistic practices that the women do to compliment B/C the treatment they are having or have had.  If you type that in to the search box, you will find it.
  • kal_1865
    kal_1865 Member Posts: 145
    thanks leona5 but i've been passed the "slows greying of hair" for a lonnnnng time, the only thing that will help me now is loreal (because I'm worth it...)!
  • jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Barbe - Well said and heartfelt.  I do have to throw in though that if I "stopped" by to see you, don't clean house, make a special meal or get out of your jammies if you are comfortable.  I don't care about any of these things - I would have come to see YOU.

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326

Dang, I go to work and miss a whole page and a half. Love the picture of the roses, they turned out beautifully.

Barbe - couldn't agree more.

I tell you all everything. Things I wouldn't even consider talking to my best friend about. I love her to death, but she's like the rest of my family. Doesn't want to even consider the thought that some day it will come to an end. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not contemplating it either. However I'm a planner, A BIG PLANNER, so I consider all the options and like to have all my ducks in a row. That's just me, but it's how I cope.

Welcome to all the newbies, Great place to be, Sorry you're here.

Elimar- I go straight to my last post.

Okay, now gotta get ready for work. You ladies will probably be 3-4 pages forward by the time I get back. Gotta go to the dr's tomorrow for my 6 month check up for the Neratinib trial.

Later, Love Ya All, Leisa

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

ditto what jo said!  At my house you would have a 1st hand view of the PILES of dog & cat hair as well as dust.  Housekeeping not one of my better habits!

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

Great pic of the flowers, eventhough I did not communicate with Lisa, it warms my heart how we look out for each others need.

Thanks Barb for your thoughts you always bring it to the surface.

I looked up the definition of survivor and one stood out "a person who continues to function or prosper in spite of opposition, hardship, or setbacks.  We survive in spite of what we are going through.

It has been tought week for me as it was a year ago the 11th that I had my BMX w/recon.  I am having trouble dealing with the fact that my PS office has not returned my call about confirmation on my up coming surgery to remove my other TE, scheduled for the 31 but time not confirmed.  Having it removed due to my past infection's and I am not continuing with recon.  It has been 3 weeks since my appointment when we discused it again.  January he was fine with my decision but now he seems hesitant but it is what I want.  Sorry I am ranting about this but want to get on with my life.

• jo1955

mjb - Whine all you want.  I'm sure it was a tough decision to make and of course your PS is hesitant but you have to do what is best for you.  I have learned we have to take care of ourselves and at times someone in our medical team may not agree but they are not the ones who have to live with the final decision and consequences.

Sending gentle hugs to you. 

• OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377

Just wanted to say thank you for your prayers for my little sister (48) everything is okay, but because of my history they will be getting a baseline MRI.

The flowers for Lisa were beautiful! Thanks for posting the picture.

Hope everyone is doing better seems like many of us have been going through a rough patch emotionally or physically.

Hugs and Love,

Linda

• elimar

Great news about your sis, OG!

mjbmiller,I hate to say it (not really) but your PS is in the business to reconstruct so, of course that is what he wants to do.  Too bad he is not sensitive enough to see it it not a reluctance on your part, that needs convincing, but that you truly do not want to deal with it any longer.  In this case, clearly "your body, your decision."

• ReginaR
    ReginaR Member Posts: 97

Hey  Middle pals, I been checking in lots & reading post! Thinking of all of you.{{hugs}}

Sorry, I havn't posted for a while, I been dealing with lots of test & appts & finally got the news I didn't want to hear. after being 15 months og being Cancer free ( Had Rt Mastectomy Jan 29, 2010) My MRI Show I have cancer to left breast IDC, I having my left mastectomy this Tues May 17th. So Now I guess I am a 2 timer-LOL.

Any of you go thru it for the 2nd time?  Hope you all are doing well! xox Gina

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

Welcome several newbies whose names I saw 2 or 3 pages ago so now of course I totally forget!

Barbe, your comments were right on point, but so were Jo's and Joni's about looking past the way your hair or your house look.  I was in the chat rooms long before I started with the boards and many of us get together frequently. The first time I went I was really scared because I had been told people found me funny and I truly thought that they'd be disappointed when meeting me in person - that I could only be funny anonymously in chat after a couple drinks on a Friday night! Well, that may be true, but I've met several women who are deep friends of mine now. It's true that sometimes they don't look or sound like I thought, and I admit that takes getting used to, but thankfully we seem to get past it. And the ones I thought I had most in common with - I do - and the ones who maybe were not the ones I'd click with - I didn't!  This website just creates such amazing opportunities for us to bond by whatever means we can whether we ever meet in person or not, it just never ceases to amaze me.   

Gina, I am so sorry to hear that :(

• marlegal

Eli, you said you were reading about the label survivor - I wonder if you read the same blog on this site that I did?  Last weekend I read an entry on the blog section of the site and it really hit home with me. The woman didn't understand how the word survivor even came into being. Do we say that someone who had a heart attack is a survivor? Why is cancer the disease which gets to have that honor? She went onto say that she didn't feel worthy of people saying she was courageous. She went to the treatments that were necessary to save her life, and she was scared all through every one of them. Courage is for firefighters and military, people who really have to muster courage to carry out decisions they've made.  She said she didn't want any label at all - she said My name is Pat and that's the only label I'd like anyone to use. I probably butchered a quote or two but if you tend to feel that way, I highly recommend reading her blog, it was very interesting.

• marlegal

P.S. to my last post.,...there are also times when I am thrilled to be in a group of women who call themselves Survivors, make no doubt, I wear my various shirts that say Survivor with pride.  I have many sides, most of them disagree with each other :)

• jo1955

Gina - I am soooo sorry to hear that you are going through this crap again.  This is the worst gift that keeps on giving and there are no refunds.  Hugs to you and please post as often as you can and keep us updated.

Marlegal - I have always had the mind set that when I go visit someone - whether I know them or not - it is the person I want to see - not the other stuff.  I have not had the pleasure of getting together with any of the wonderful ladies on the boards and I would not likely be nervous too but I know that I will come away this a sister/friend for life. 

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Hey Jean I hope chemo went ok for you.  I'm doing the HAPPY DANCE FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!