Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160

glad you are on the mend Regina:)

Glad you're not in bad pain Paula....

i am hungry and do not know what i want to eat.....have 6 more pounds to lose and am feeling good about it but still---feel like gong to store and getting some haagen daz

• blondiex46
    blondiex46 Member Posts: 2,726

Glad to hear everything is ok Gina!!

• valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110

Gina, you're home! Good to hear you're doing well, take it easy.

Teklya ~ Keeping good thoughts for your first mamm & clear results. I remember that stressful time as well.

Welcome, naty, good thoughts coming your way as well for your mx. Pamper yourself in the days after. You deserve it!

Leisa ~ Oh boy, fishing & golfing! That sounds fabulous, I'm envious! I haven't golfed since my DH had rotator cuff surgery a few years ago & really miss it. And, I haven't fished in years - that is so relaxing. I still have my tackle box, won't let DH use any of my lures. Keep telling him some day I will go again & I'm not digging in his messy tackle box for my stuff! We used to take long trips to Canada with another couple to fish for Pike - what great times, esp. when the gals outfished the guys. Laughing

Best wishes to everyone!

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Valjean - I love to golf and also miss it.  Haven't picked up a golf club in months.  Have had terrible boob pain.  Going to the breast surgeon tomorrow and get it fixed.  Once that is done, you and I need to make a tee time and to have some fun.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Gina so glad you are home and on the mend

Elimar-I have a foam mattress like tempurpedic.  Did lots of research of what to look for and found a really good one on overstock.com.  I sleep so good and when DH tosses I don't feel it. In my guest bedroom I put a really nice foam topper on the mattress and everyone says it is so comfortable. 

• Sherry

Can you send the specifics on the mattress. I need to get a new one and would like some recommendations

Liz

• Sherryc

Liz, I don't have the info as it was a couple of years ago.  But overstock.com had some really good info as far as density of matrres and what to look for.  I also googled info.  Then looked at each one to see the density etc before I made my choice.  With it being foam it came all smushed in a box and when you opened it it was like a jack in the box getting out.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

I am a sleep expert in the field but don't want to start anything so I'll just say be leery of some of the more expensive beds as they sell on their brand names. Something as simple as a Serta or Sealy has memory foam in it, just like Tempurpedic. With Tempurpedic though, you sink down to your weight level and are pain free, true, but if you weigh a bit more, you will have trouble turning over - you have to crawl out of the divot you've made in the foam. Also, foam can be EXTREMELY hot to sleep in. I used to sleep in foam and loved it until I got night sweats. Be careful, you don't have to spend a ton to get a good night's sleep!

• blondiex46
    blondiex46 Member Posts: 2,726

wtf don't know if it is falsodex or that I am old, the degeration of the bones in my knees, ankles and feet is really getting on my nerves, woke up with a pain in my left knee.....

how is everybody else, lol 

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    Gina, glad you are on the mend. Blondie, sorry you are having pain. Frown
  • Raj20
    Raj20 Member Posts: 783

If I sleep in foam, my  whole body seems to get exhausted  and feeling  pain. When I ask my doctor about  it  he recommend  to used  4" coir  with 2 " foam thickness  mattress. So I have purchased one from local market,  it is locally  made not the randed one, it seems to be good as I get sound sleep and be able to wake up  in the next morning without any problem.

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

Hi Raj, missed you around here!

• Raj20
    Raj20 Member Posts: 783

I missed you all. Nice to be coming back after a long gap.

• Thanks for the suggestions I guess I will just have to go mattress shopping and see what feels good. The problem I always have is that in the store you really can't tell and I guess it just feels weird laying on a bed with everyone milling around. We bought a really expensive bed only 4 hrs ago that was coil and foam on top for the test drive of the temperpedic made me uncomfortable cause I felt I stuck to it (dh wanted it though). Now it seems his side caves in (we tease he sleeps in the hole) and neither of us gets a great night sleep. To be honest I think it has more to do with the two cocker spaniels in our bed but I haven't won that argument yet. It is beyond me how two 20 lb dogs can take up so much room

• barbe1958

You MUST get a new boxspring when you get a new matt. 60% of your weight goes to the box, so if your mattress is sagging, your box is worse!! The 'nest' that a new matt creates is supposed to happen. It means you are fitting the matt to your own shape. Think of expensive leather shoes. Good ones will conform to the shape of your foot. Cheap ones will stay in a generic shape and be uncomfortable. If your matt doesn't begin to 'nest' to your shape, it is too firm. Firm matts are very bad for your back because you don't get your lower back filled in. Think of a gap in dentures. Same with your lower back if it's too firm. If your 'sag' is more than 1.5 inches, call the manufacturer. They will replace it! Guaranteed. They will check the dip with a laser to confirm the depth.

• barbe1958

A box spring is the shock absorber of your bed. If you don't have one you are losing a lot of lifespan on your matt. It's like putting your matt on the sidewalk if you have no box. It will wear out much quicker.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

My son (home from college now) said his bed was too firm.  (I think he had gotten iused to the dorm mattresses that were old and soft.)  I got him a memory foam topper and that seems to give him the right amount of sag, but still has a firm support underneath. We just got it last week, so I don't have anything long term to say about it yet.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

E-Love the topper photo today!

• barbe1958

Say elimar, I'm still being brought to page 41....sigh.

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

I was wondering what happens if we post on page 41.

Will it post on this page?

Im gonna test it.Surprised

• elimar
    Barbe, me too!  Annoying, I know.  I reported it one week ago and the Mods said hopefully it would be fixed soon.  I was tempted to nag a little today, if only to find the value of "soon."  Thought I'd try waiting another week, but it has been like this for over a month now, hasn't it?
  • sheila888
    This post was written on page 41.Wink
  • jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388

I thought it was me and my silliness that kept sending me to page 41. giggle, giggle....

Barbe - thanks for the info on the mattresses.  I did wake up in a ball of sweat when I slept on my sister's bed, but thought it was me because of the pain I was in.  My DD loves the mattress topper we got for her dorm, she said it is sooooo much more comfortable than just the mattress.  Sams has good prices on the toppers - maybe I'll head over there this weekend.

• Sherryc

mine is pulling up fine and the post that Seyla made is posting on page 372

• elimar

Yes, for some reason about half who post here go to the right page and the other half don't.

• Barbe

Thanks. I also buy both the mattress and boxspring new together. I think it is just we have both put on a little weight over the last year and are noticing a difference in our forms on the bed. Maybe if we pulled away from the table a little bit we would sleep better. I have been doing some bed research but to be honest it is more confusing than the BC research I have done

I did buy the topper for my son at college and he does seem to like it but he has a horrible bed in his apartment so anything is better than what he started with

Thanks for all the info much appreciated

PS. I am pulling up and posting to the correct page 372.

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

I am pulling up on the right page - no problems here.

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326

okay gals here's my mystery picture. When I get back on Sunday we'll see if anyone figured it out.

• sheila888

Unshaved legs LOL

• elimar
    Ooooh, leisaparis, you are challenging us with WEEKEND MYSTERY PIC and giving us an extra day...we are going to need it, I think.  It's definitely a close up.  Is it my kitchen floor?  Kidding!  What could that yellow thing be??????