Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Options

Comments

• kal_1865
    kal_1865 Member Posts: 145
    Options

Meece, wonderful news!!!

Go to fullsize image

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326
    Options

MEECE - congrats, now that's a boy!!!!

OG - I can usually just copy & paste most of my pics. I copy, then come here to paste. It asks me if I want to allow, I click yes then hit paste again. Usually on the 2nd time the picture will appear. Hopefully that will work for ya.

• onward
    onward Member Posts: 229
    Options

Hi. I am going to be in Orange Beach Alabama for a week beginning July 27th. Anyone around here from there that we could do lunch. I am a member of the Illinois girls and we have a monthly get together. Let me know. Onward

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    Options
    Hi, Onward (like your screen name.)  I don't think I have seen anyone from Alabama post on here recently, but there might be someone heading down that way???  It never hurts to check.  Have a great beach vacations!
  • cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674
    Options

MEECE--WHAT A HANDSOME YOUNG MAN!!!! YOU SHOULD BE SO PROUD!!!! CONGRATS!!

• carollynn79
    carollynn79 Member Posts: 331
    Options

Meece congrats on your new grandson!!

I am sorry to hear about KK

• blondiex46
    blondiex46 Member Posts: 2,726
    Options

Congrats Meece!!!

• Teklya
    Teklya Member Posts: 362
    Options

Congrats, Meece!  He's a sweetie!  Enjoy!

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,853
    Options

Congrats Meece! 

so sorry to hear about Konakat.  

• OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377
    Options

Congratulations Meece, being a Grandma is more awesome than I could ever imagined. I was babysitting today and telling him he was worth so much more than the great salary I just left behind in New York LOL!

I am so beyond sad about KK I have been going to her thread everyday to see if she had logged on and I must say I am surprised that she has made the trip over already, I knew she was having a tough time but...Cry

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413
    Options

A little good news for me. Saw the gyn today and when I mention I will be getting a mx - maybe bmx - as well as ooph she say she does surgeries on the same day as my BS so she'll talk to her about doing them on the same day under one anesthesia tag team style. I know I really wanted to do it this way but I thought it would never be possible but it was her idea I didn't even have to ask :)

On a sad note I might have to put a hit on my DH. We went to the Phillies game tonight and he asks if I'm ready to go in the middle of the eighth inning since they were losing. I said no you KNOW I don't leave games early. But I gave in since I know he only went for me (he hates watching pro sports) and don't you know they won in extra innings!

• mostlymom
    mostlymom Member Posts: 378
    Options

As much as I dearly love my DH of almost 49 years, I get tired of having to smother my feelings to make him feel better.  Darn it, sometimes I just want to cry & not have to explain why.  I know he's distraught running into something he can't do anything about but there are times I just need to let go.  Men are supposed to be the strong ones - why do we have to baby them????

• valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110
    Options

reesie ~ The first thing I thought of when I read that your gyn will do surgeries on the same day as your BS so you only have one anesthesia team, I thought "Bundling". Like getting high speed, satelite & landline phone all together. Made me laugh, though the surgeries are not funny in & of themselves. It is much easier on the patient, as well.

Meecie ~ How wonderful, a new grandbaby! I am so happy for you & your family!

• elimar
    Options

reesie, You are now prepared to win all future departures from sporting events...as you can now utilize the line, "Remember what happened at that Phillies game!"  Look at it like money in the bank.

mostlymom, I know that was a rhetorical question, but I have to add that if you married a guy that was the baby in his family, it might just be forever.  I know that is a generalization, and not all last-borns will fit it, but I think there is something to be said about birth order and family dynamics (like if a man had sisters) as to how well they can care for others and deal with our womanly emotions.

• elimar
    Options

reesie, also meant to say that will work out a lot nicer for you just having to devote one day to surgery, even if you have to double up a little on the recovery.  Definitely let us know when you schedule all that.

Valjean, what has been going on with you?

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618
    Options

Du and I are both the babies of the family, ds and dil are both firstborns. Some of the traits we argue about are ones associated with birth order. Dh does not like to be babied.

• valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110
    Options

elimar ~ Thank you for asking. To be truthful, & this is the place I would be brutally honest: While life is moving on all around me, and seems to be passing me by, I'm trying to stay away from the edge. Let me tell ya, I'm exhausted from the undertaking! I think I need to be 'behind' myself to push myself forward, does that make any sense?!?

I can tell myself the words, I can say certain things out loud (I'm okay as far as I know back to my last Dr. appt.-etc), but I don't feel it. How do I get myself to feel it? 

There are such extremes of happiness & sadness here. I guess that is my life now. Extremes. I'm 2 - 1/2 yrs out & I find myself falling way, way back.

Any suggestions, anyone?

After I hit "Submit" I will probably wish I hadn't, but where else can I say this? And, to whom?

Are you sorry you asked me?  Embarassed

I'm not. Maybe just getting this out in the universe, this contained universe here, will be part of the answer....

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914
    Options

Reesie, so sorry you left the Phils game too early!  What a comeback they had tonight.  Gotta love Chooch!

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545
    Options

reesie - Tag Team surgeries - gotta go for it.  Crossing fingers everything turns out good and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Valjean - Sending big hugs to you.  This damn disease keeps us on such an emotional roller coaster ride - you know you can come here anything and you will be smothered with caring and support.

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    Options

{{{REESIE}}} and (((VALJEAN))) Hugs for my gal pals!

• elimar
    Options

Valjean, no, not at all sorry I asked.  You always have encouraging words for others and it occured to me you were not writing that much about yourself so I wanted to check on you.  I don't know, it is probably a combination of things that is wreaking havoc with your emotions not just the B/C, but it sure does not help things that we don't know if B/C is really, truly in our past or still lurking within.  I no longer think about that fact every day, but I live under that fact every day.  It can wear on you.

Plus, middle age is a time of reconnecting with yourself, but it's a process.  First you have to come to the realization that you somehow became disconnected with things that defined you in the past, then you have to reforge those connections or make some new ones.   Men get that assessment period of a mid-life crisis, we get the mid-life crisis with the added bonus of menopause and wild hormonal swings, and in our cases that is helped along by some of our treatment medicines.   Do you have some days where you feel as moody as a 14 year old girl?  I do, and it is no more attractive now than it was then.  Have mercy!

The discussion boards sure do have their ups (as we celebrate cencerversaries with our sister-friends) and their downs (as we lose one of them.)  You don't notice that right at the beginning, when you are looking for factual information about B/C and treatment, but there is so much sharing that can take place here and a lot of empathy happening.  So, Valjean, feel free to bring up anything you want to.  Doesn't have to be all rosy.  We aren't therapists, but we are free.  And if I have missed the mark in any of my comments, well, blah, blah, blah, toss them out the window.

• kal_1865
    kal_1865 Member Posts: 145
    Options

so eloquent elimar, you truly know how to convey your thoughts and emotions!!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    Options

Reese-so glad you can get a two for one deal.  I'm mean not happy you are having surgery but if you have to have them this is the way to do it.

Valjean(((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))  We all have out ups and downs and this is a great place to come when you are down.  Surrounded by sistas that love you and understand you.

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326
    Options

Reese - congrats on the 2 for 1, better for you in the long run.

Valjean - know exactly how you feel. I have to push myself everyday. There are days I get up and just DO NOT want to do anything. Hate having to go to work. By the end of the day, glad I had to or I would have done nothing but sit on my ass all day. Hate being tired ALLLL the time.

Not sure if it's this trial I'm on or what, but I know I'm getting really sick & tired of it. My house is a pit. Haven't done any deep cleaning since my last surgery. And I don't really care. I really need to get out of this funk but not sure how. I try to go and do things, but most of the time I hate whatever I'm doing. Just wanna go back home and sit on my butt and do nothing. I take vitamines and crap, but nothing seems to help. Maybe I'm depressed and just don't know it.

I   H A T E   C A N C E R !!!!!!!!!! 

Sorry - got a little side tracked there.

C A N C E R   S U C K S !!!!!!!

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204
    Options

leisaparis and Valjean - one thing I take to help with my mood, aches and pains, and a multitude of other things is something my doctor takes himself. He told me to buy Nature Made Sam-e. This brand is good because they are individually sealed. My mother is in her 80's and was just about the most anti-social creature you had ever seen. I told her to buy some of this stuff because it helps arthritis - she was interested in that part, not the mood part - and sure enough it has helped her mood, too. She's been taking it about 2-3 weeks. I just talked to her today and she was going out to mingle (she lives in a high-rise retirement community with lots of nice people). She said, "I thought about taking a nap, but then I thought, no I'm going to get dressed and walk around and see what's going on." For my mother, that's amazing!

I take vitamins and crap, too, and I'm sick of 'em. But maybe, just maybe, an oldie but goodie is giving me more energy lately. Vitamin B complex and an extra B-12. I quit taking those B-complex years ago because they tasted so bad, so I walked into the health food store and asked the guy if they even made a B-complex that doesn't taste bad. He went straight over and handed me a bottle of something called MegaFood Balanced B Complex and they're okay! I've been taking them faithfully for the last 2 weeks and I actually feel more energetic. 

• elimar
    Options

I am kind of off & on with the B vitamins, but have never tried SAM-e.  Will have to see what is in that.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704
    Options

Elimar-Loved that post a few ago! Beautifully worded, made me tear up actually!

Valjean-what our thread creator speaks is true! Dump here-it's free!

• elimar
    Options

Want to borrow my hanky, Eph?  It's monogramed for the both of us.

• OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377
    Options

I have to jump in and say that SAMe is great and that Nature-Made and GNC's were noted to have the correct amount's others not so much. I have my husband taking them for his arthritis and it also is used to regenerate liver cells etc. It's been used for many years in Europe. I found it upset my stomach but am thinking about trying it again anyway and just eat before I take it.

Husker, I forgot to respond but I grew up in Omaha and left for NY several years ago and just moved back. Maybe if your ever in Omaha we can have coffee :)  We used to have another lady from NE but she hasn't been on in a long time.

Linda

• elimar
    Options

OG56, I was JUST thinking about you.  When I went to get that image of a hanky, I saw THIS!  Hahahahaha!!!!!!