MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Eli - I have had "chin hairs" for many years.  I have done waxing, tweezers - Ouch! to all.  Now I just run a razor across them.  You are right, no where else can you talk about such things.

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

tweezers? Hell, I am heading to laser hair removal. My eyesight is so bad I can't see them anymore.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    BarbA,  I have to use a magnifying mirror.  I holding off the laser removal til I sprout a few more...so the cheapskate in me can feel like I will be getting my money's worth.
  • Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

I don't have the chin hairs yet but I have said when I do get them it will be laser hair removal for me.

• kal_1865
    kal_1865 Member Posts: 145

ok, for those of us that are taking our AI's and now have the increased "sprouting" - does insurance cover the laser hair removal--hah?

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

Worth a try but I seriously doubt it unless you can get your PCP to come up with a 'medical necessity' reson.

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

kal-1865  I wish they would.  I have had a few of them for sometime now.  But since I had my regrowth a few new ones have sprouted.  Just gotta love the Tamo, NOT!  Thats one SE I could so without.

• kal_1865
    kal_1865 Member Posts: 145

we can barely get them to cover our required tests and surgeries, could you imagine submitting a claim for laser hair removal?

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

After I lost my hair--eyebrows--lovely chin hair--I kind of enjoyed the months without tweezing and waxing. For months they have been growing back and eek I see the chin sprouting like weeds. I had ignored my eyebrows, almost a sense of pride that they had grown back. Finally looked in the mirror, the magnified mirror that is, and realized it was time to trim the excess. Only to find out my teenage son had absconded with my favorite pair of tweezers. Ick. So I went and bought a pretty pink (just coincidence on the pink, its Revlon) pair of tweezers. Told my boys--lay off--the pink pair is mine. Think I'll  be able to find them this time when I need them!!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Claire, I'm afraid to ask....what does a teenage boy do with tweezers????

Hey e!! This time the page opened further down page 41.... progress!!

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

I haven't noticed any facial hair but one of the up sides to chemo was not having to shave your legs and under arms for a while.  Having to do that again is a real bummer.

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413

And why is it that the leg hair is growing in faster than the hair on my head.  That really sucks.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Same reason we gain weight from the ass up, but lose it from the boobs down.

• Sherryc

Barb1958 LOL

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Barbe - You have such a great way of saying things - right to the point - no messing around.

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532

mjb ... yes, i live in the city!  how did you guys get to texas?  

thank you so much to all of you for the support and comfort through this journey.  my pet scan came back clear.  gratitude!  still waiting for results of the echo, and dang it, the onco might not be back until monday.  two more results to go and i'll be ready to start either chemo or radiation.  from everything i've read on here, the her2 positive means chemo for sure, but my dr. wants to wait for the onco just to be sure.  ugh.

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

YaYa5, don't get too worried with the chemo.  I am Her2 + and almost done chemo, one more to go on July 25.  I had DD AC and one Taxol and then swithchec to Taxotere, and am getting Herceptin with the Taxol/Taxotere.  It's not a walk in the park, but it's doable.  If you have to do it, you'll be fine. 

Reesie and Barb1958, that is funny (but unfortunately true!).  I can't believe I just lost ALL of my eyelashes and eyebrows, but my leg hair is growing back.  UGH!   And I lost weight during chemo and now I have to buy all new bras because it is all in my boobs!  BC is not fair.

• annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160

all this talk of chin hairs reminded me I lost my boob/nipple rogue hairs with the BMX! (gotta look for the positive!!:) I have one dark lone hair under my chin that looks like a rogue eyelash...sheesh

• YaYa5

well, annettek, when you get to my age, you'll notice that ALL the hair you lose because of aging, just moves right to your chin.  it's so annoying.  if i have to do chemo at least i won't have to do the magnifying mirror/ extra strong glasses to be certain i've plucked them all.  always a good side to everything, right??

• elimar

YaYa5,  a clear PET scan is good, good, good!  Hope you go 3 for 3 on all the tests.

• YaYa5

for those of you who are her2 positive, do you remember your ratio numbers?  your IHC and/or FISH numbers in terms of her2?  i'm trying to get my mind around chemo and whether or not i will have it. anyone her2 positive who didn't take chemo?   i have two path reports and my IHC report doesn't rate the her2 with + or ++ or +++ (or it's hidden in the report somewhere!)  it looks like my onco won't be back now until monday.  ugh.  another wait over the week-end.  

thanks for the feedback.   

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

ROTFLMAO Annette!  I thought the same thing as I was plucking my dreaded chin hairs pre chemo.  No rouge boob hairs, lol.

YaYa its good to read you have some positive news from this nasty junk.  Chemo is a bugger, but you can do it.  Somewhere deep down you find that you have the inner strenght to do whatever it is you have to so you can do battle against cancer.  I have added you to my prayer list.  You have come to the right place, hang on there!

• carollynn79
    carollynn79 Member Posts: 331

Barbe1958 too funny and true

• Sherryc

going for a cervical MRI and baseline DEXXA scan tomorrow.  I previously had nerve damage in my left hand from an auto accident 16 years ago. It effected three fingers, since rads the other two fingers have been effected and I get tingling in my hand that I never had before.  The good news is I have not lost any strength in the hand and there is no pain.  If it stays like this I can live with it just hopeing there won't be anything bad enough to send me back to the neurosurgeon.  Had enough of that when I broke my neck.

Annette your comment about the rouge nipple hairs made me laugh and reminded me that my SIL had a friend that had a MX and reconstruction.  They took skin too close to her private parts and then she had hair on her new boob.  She had to have laser hair removal to take it off.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,279

A belated response - I have this site on favorites and it opens correctly at the last page I read every time.

As for chin hairs - I've been doing electrolysis for some time.  Skin too sensative for laser according the my derm doc.  And I hope my rogue breast hairs are gone since the BMX but that remains to be seen.  I think my hair growth has accelerated witht the addition of Fish Oil & Vit E to my diet.  The bonus is the stronger nails.  Since I'm 67, I'm definately "ish", but read regularlay & appreciate everything you ladies post.

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

Annette and Barbe, you totally crack me up. Thanks Annette for reminding me of a positive benefit of my BMX. Those stragglers were grossly unattractive!!Embarassed And Barbe, it scares me to think of what my son might be doing with the tweezers, and frankly, I'm afraid to ask!!!

Sherry, I hope your tests go well tomorrow. Nueropathy is a bear, ( I had it really bad during chemo, now it comes and goes in my feet) I hope surgery is not in your future!! 

Ya,ya, the waiting is the hardest part. . .  

• elimar
    MinusTwo,  You realize that if you had passed yourself off as 59 and 1/2, we wouldn't have  known the difference, don't you?  (I bet you were too honest to have a "21" I.D. as a teenager too.)  Wink
  • sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

YaYa5... Welcome to our sisterhood.

I'm also HER+ and when I asked the grade of HER test My ONcologist said it was 2.2

I don't know what that means exactly. Anything reading more than 2 you are HER+ and yes I did have 52 weeks of Herceptin. The first dose was given with Taxol.

Good Luck to you.

Sheila

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,902

I have been laughing at the chin hair comments, too!  I had a recon using  lower belly sin and fat and have a couple of rogue pubic hairs that show up on my new boobs every once in a while.  I hadn't thought about laser hair removal, I need to look into that.  There is one place on my left boob, right at the cleavage where the hairs tend to be quite dark.  I wouldn't mind losing them, not that it's a real issue.  but it is odd to catch myself shaving my legs, then my arm pit then my chin and then my boobs! 

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

NM, ROTFLMAO at your rogue pubes and it reminded me of the joke about the woman who had too many face lifts and ended up with a beard!!!