MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618
    So funny we are chatting about chin hairs as I got out my super-magnifying mirror last night and took out two of them.  Cmb, I also got a pair of the pink ones shortly after chemo, but sometime last year they flat out disappeared!  I could blame a teen aged son, but since I don't have one anymore, and it's only DH and I  in the house, I would have to say I must have dropped them in the wastebasket.
  • barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHA

HJAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

This discussion on chin and pubic hairs has me laughing

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Always thought I might have a late-life career as a WalMart greeter, but now realize I have another option.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Ya notice it's "Miss Annie Jones"...like who'd marry her!!!

• elimar

Maybe one of these guys?

• elimar

Those dudes have enough chin hair to make two wild chemo wigs!

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

Or these guys?

• elimar

They'd never give up their rockin' beards OR their "cheap sunglasses."

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

I would check for critters hiding in those beards first - that was bad!!

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

I must say - I find it interesting that our near-vision seems to decline at JUST the age when we really don't WANT to see detail in our faces. That said, every time I DO manage to focus on my face, I find a new thing I don't want to see. My skin changed a lot during the first year of Tamoxifen, and now it's found a new normal that isn't too bad. Sadly, though, instead of chin hairs, I periodically find hairs on my CHEEK. I have always had a lot of "down," and now, hidden in it, I'll periodically find a couple of LONGER hairs that are darker! Do I need that? NO.

One more "cancer and hair" comment. I, too, periodically have "rogue nipple hairs." And after I had radiation on the left, that breast went a loooooooong time without any. Now a few very pale ones have started to periodically sprout up. I am almost happy to see them - anything that seems more "normal" is kinda good... 

Anyone ever see that comedienne, "Mrs. Hughes"? She points out that when you are growing up and you get your period, you are becoming a woman. But, she says, no one tells you what you are becoming when you go through "the change." "I'm turning into my father!" she says... 

Coleen 

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

If you haven't seen this, you ladies would get a BIG kick out of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWrj9TaA0Mc

If cutting and pasting this into your browser doesn't work, go to "You Tube" and search for "Mrs. Hughes."

C. 

• chrisct
    chrisct Member Posts: 310

Hi ladies, lurker here.  I can relate on the facial hair. I've always had some, but I think I have more now on Tamox.  It's blond, but longer than I can ignore.  I usually just leave it because I don't want to have to shave, but once in a while, I get sick of being fuzz-faced and I shave it.  This is what I feel like:

• elimar

Hey chrisct, I think you have posted here before, but it's been quite a while.  How's it going?  Have your follow ups been non-eventful, or is there something that bears watching?   I think you are about where I am with the Tamox.  Will be on for two years in the late Fall.

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

My bro had enough chin hair he braided it to where it hung down mid chest level. He worked on the oil rigs, a tough crowd.

Yaya - job transfer is what brought DH to TX. I'm an KS girl though and college brought me to TX.

OK here is PS follow up, it was fluid build up. He drained 130 cc of it. After that it looked a lot better. He wants to see me in a week to make sure it doesn't building back up. In the mean time I am to wear a tight sports bra (threw my surgery binder away) and bind with a 6 in ace bandage, especially over night. If the fluid still builds up he is going to recommend a pump be put in. Hope that doesn't happen. Over all ok with the visit, I just need to give it time.

• jo1955

MJB - Glad the PS visit went well - hope the fluid doesn't build up again and you don't need a pump.

• barbaraa

Mjb so glad it was that simple. Hugs, pal.

• chrisct
    chrisct Member Posts: 310

Followups were ok.  This year radiologist saw calcifications on my non-bc side.  She was 99% sure it was nothing, but with my history, couldn't give me that last 1% so I had a bx.  Bx showed it was nothing which was a relief, but expensive.  So good 'til next March.  Been on tamox since Dec '09.  Night sweats from time to time.  Not sure about the hot flashes.  They aren't so flashy so I can't tell if I'm just getting too hot or hot flashing.  I already had trouble regulating body temp.  Sitting still, I'm freezing.  Moving around, I'm sweating so it's hard to tell.  And I have much less energy than I think I should.  Again, not sure why- tamox?  thyroid?  never recovered from chemo?  Hoping I can get some energy back soon.

Hope the fluid doesn't come back, MJB.

((((((((Middies)))))))))

• barbaraa

(((chrisct)))

• elimar

chrisct, You sound about like the rest of us Early Stagers here, trying to get by and move forward.  I really hate the Bx (especially CNB.)  It left me so bruised up.  Glad all was B9 for yours.

mbj,  No wonder you didn't like the result...130cc of fluid would have made you all kinds of lopsided. Well, that was a fairly easy fix.  Now do a good job with the binding, 'cause the pump does not sound fun.

• Sherryc

mjb glad it was something simple and hope it does not build back up.

Ok my BIL has the long beard like the pictures.  He is a motorcyle guy and very different from the rest of the family but he is the sweetest and since he is my only BIL he is my favorite. I remind him of that all the time.  He says the same about me I am his only SIL.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,279

After only one day at work, I'm behind again.  But eilmar, wanted to let you know that contrary to public opinion, I did have fake ID that (shocker) my mother helped me borrow so I could go out with the guy she wanted me to marry.  Nope - didn't happen.  And I belonged to a private club at age 19 - dry area with lockers for those of you who have lived someplace like that.  For some reason the club owner decided I would fit in & they served great steaks.  So I don't so much mind settling down now since I did sow some wild oats when I was younger.

Love the hair posts.  Great to come home after a rough work day to some laughs.

• lynniea
    lynniea Member Posts: 336

Tomorrow the big day I see both OD and Surgeon the  same praying for good results.  I will let you all know.

• cindyjane
    cindyjane Member Posts: 3

Hi ladies!  It's been almost a year since I started on this trip called cancer.  I made it thru all the surgeries, all the chemo and radiation and took a 10 month leave of absence from work so I could get  thru it all.  Well I'm thru it all and life isn't back to normal.  I feel like I'm missing something in my life...I'm not the same person I was a year ago, when I look in the mirror I see a stranger....are all these feelings normal and does it get better?

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532

lynnlea, good luck tomorrow.  i'll be thinking about you and sending good vibes.  please keep us posted.

mjb, i'm happy it was simple and hope and pray that it's over in terms of THAT problem. 

cindy, i haven't even started chemo yet and i know i'm already different.  i can't explain it, but it's just true for me.  i'm fairly certain that life will get back to some kind of 'normal,' but i don't think we'll ever be the same again ... hopefully, in a good way.

• jo1955

Lynniea - Good luck tomorrow - will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.  Let us know how it goes.

• Sherryc

Lynniea good luck tomorrow, I hope you get the new you want.  Keep us posted

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413

Hey "I"never had a fake ID. And my girlfriend didn't either. It was a real ID. Well it was my real ID not hers but it was real.

Welcome Cindyjane. I can't help you with getting back to "normal". I'm pretty new to this and won't finish trearment but I would say that you are different, you have to be. This is a lifechanging experience no matter what stage. It makes you face your mortality in a more real manner. I don't think any of us will ever be the same. It's impossible to get that carefree naivety back.

I do think it will get better for you though. But I bet you stop and smell the roses a lot more in the future.

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413

Almost forgot - what have I gotten myself into? I have promised my DD that we will get tattoos together as soon as I'm allowed. I must be crazy, but she told me she wants this experience together - just her and me. I couldn't say no to that.

• jo1955

ressie - I couldn't have said it better - this is a real life changing experience and one does tend to stop and smell the roses more these days.