MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Welcome Foxlairfrm - Sorry you are a member of a club no one wants to be a part of.  This is a wonderful group of gals with lots of good information and support.  We do tend to get wild and crazy every now and then.  Just jump in any time.

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

Welcome Deborah! My sisters live in Richmond, my oldest, Leslie is a 3 year out TN IDC survivor. She lives in Midlothian (that's where I went to HS). Small world isn't it? (My other sis lives in Glen Allen)

claire 

• Foxlairfrm
    Foxlairfrm Member Posts: 126

Thank you Jo, I don't mind the wild and crazy!. My kids think we resemble the new car commercial where the parents are always out doing something wild and crazy! "mom, you are 51 with cancer and you are going CAMPING with the horses. Don't you think that's a little risky?". NO, it's what we do son! They are always worried about us. I guess that's a good thing. Now if I can just get ON the horse... Lol I'm still a bit stiff legged and I worry about falling and breaking. But, the meds are making my bones stronger! It won't be long!

Deborah

• Foxlairfrm

Gosh Claire, it is a small world! Glen Allen is just down the road. I live in eastern Goochland. About 10 minutes from the new Short Pump mall. No neighbors here really but a cluster of McMansions just up the road. Hoping they don't move this way but they seem to be getting closer by the day.

Deborah

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

I didn't know horses like to camp!!??! Or are they unwilling participants....like I would be!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Welcome, Foxlairfrm!  You are new here, but with your history I'm sure you already qualify for our "panel of experts."  Sometimes I think if I could just dump all the cancer knowledge that is stored in my brain, it would make room for things I want to remember.

I am curious about your more recent Dx.  Did you have a recurrence that was a 1 cm lump, plus they found that it had spread at that time?   Or was it a second primary B/C?  If it was a second primary, were the mets from the first or second, do they know?  Are your mets in the bones or ???  How long ago was your first Dx?

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Welcome Deborah, glad you joined us but really hate to hear your cancer is back.  this is a great group of ladies to hand out with. Gee I wished I lived closer so I could take you up on the horse manure for my garden.

• Foxlairfrm

Lol, the horses love to camp! They jump right in the trailer and really enjoy going out on the trails especially somewhere new.

I was originally dx'd in 1996 at 36 yrs old with a little larger than 1cm lump. Lumpectomy would not do, so left mastectomy with 8 of 11 nodes pos. Chemo, stem cell transplant, radiation and 5 yrs tamoxifen. Done! All blood tests normal for 14 yrs. Felt great until last year. Thought, ok you are 50, the wheels are falling off. Bursitis in the hips, torn muscle in the chest from doing too much. Tired more often, but X-rays showed nothing(they missed a lesion) bloodwork still good. Last October while jumping my horse, I braced my hand on his neck and snapped my humerus in half at the bicep Ouch! My husband knew immediately something else was wrong. After a bone scan and biopsy while pinning the arm it was found that I had metastasis in the bones from the original cancer. Dang! No organ involvement. Yay! Now it was clear that turning 50 was not the cause of all the aches and pains. I had so much bone involvement they couldn't believe I was walking much less that my leg had not already broken. They wanted to pin both legs out of precaution. NO! Let's wait and see what the drugs do. They are working. The holes are getting smaller and the zometa is filling some in. No longer do they want to pin the legs. I have to be very cautious and have been told to lay off work of grooming dogs but I am still working and doing just small dogs. I can't give up life! The Femara has a lot of SE's that cause just as much pain as the mets but its working! I just have to find ways to combat the SE's. Lots of pain meds but who cares, I'm living a fairly normal life with several adjustments. Can't ask for more than that right now. So I think that's it. Interesting life I have!

Deborah

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Hi Deborah, nice to see you are much better.  It's good to hear that the Femara is working well for you.

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• Foxlairfrm

Hey Chrissy! So nice to see you again. Hope all is well with you. Yes, the Femara is working well. The side effects are getting worse. I think that may,level off from what I have read. I just have to figure out ways to beat them. The weight loss I can handle...lol. the hair thinning, not so much, the muscle and joint pain...we gotta do something about that and the hot flashes..I mean rivers..I can deal with that too. Lots of pj's! Having another scan Wednesday. Keep fingers crossed. Won't know till next Monday at Dr appt.

How are you?

Big hugs

Deborah

• elimar

Wow Fox, too bad it took a broken arm to get noticed and get treatment.  I'll be hoping you can get to a point of strong bones and less pain.  You have a good spirit to keep doing things you care about and love. 

I don't want to contribute to the "think positive" myth, but when B/C starts to get women depressed, it is like the B/C got not only their body but their mind and spirit as well.  That is really something worth fighting against. 

• chrissyb

I'm doing very well, thank you.  Saw my BS a couple of weeks ago and he now does not want to see me for six months so that makes me very happy and it means that the Femara is working well for me too.

Re your thinning hair, I also had that but I started taking Biotin and it did slow down and then stop so now it's just the normal hair fall that everyone gets.

Next major thing for me is my trip to the USA in September so everthing else has to wait....lol.

I'm hoping that you get good reports from you scan on Monday and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• LovesChristmas-Barb
    LovesChristmas-Barb Member Posts: 504

Welcome Foxlairfrm. What a story you have! I hope and pray that you are able to get the pain taken care of and  that you get good reports on your scan. 

chrissyb....where are you visiting in the USA, if I may ask? I hope you have a wonderful trip!

• chrissyb

Barb58 I will be visiting New Jersey, Nth Carolina, Florida, Missourri, Colorado and Southern Califoria.  I am really excited!  as you can imagine....lol

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• Foxlairfrm

Wow, you are coming to the States! Where are you planning on visiting? Ok, here's the deal...I want to sneak back in your suitcase! When are you coming? Sounds.so exciting.

I do agree that a positive mind helps heal the body. My gosh, I do everything possible to avoid negative thoughts. They do sneak up on you and you may have a bad day but I try to "change the subject" in my head when they do. Yesterday was an up and down day. My daughter's baby shower. her first baby. So exciting and so...I don't know, am I going to be here very long to enjoy my grandchildren? I quickly busied myself and tried to think positive. It pretty much worked. I busied myself too much though and I'm worn out today. Slooowly getting things done. Hey, as long as dinner is ready around 7 who cares?!

Deborah

• chrissyb

Deborah, I arrive on 2nd September and I will be there for about six weeks.

• Foxlairfrm

Chrissy, are you going to visit the outer banks in NC? We just got back from Hatteras island after a glorious week of fishing and relaxing in the most beautiful soundfront house! I don't know how or if I can,post pictures here, but they are awesome! Southern California, love San Diego! Hope you can get there. There is so much to do and see here. I hope you are staying for several weeks!

Deborah

• chrissyb

Deborah I am definitely going to the Outer Banks....lol......that is my destination !!!   To post a pic here all you need to do is copy/paste from face book or uplaod to Picasso or Photobucket and then copy/paste here.  If you have hassles let me know and I PM you.

Chrissy

• elimar

Here is a posting pictures tutorial made by TimTam:

Posting Pictures

If link does not work, cut and paste this:

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/93/topic/691885?page=1#idx_21

• Foxlairfrm

Chrissy, what a perfect time of year to visit. If you plan on VA at anytime, please let me know. Williamsburg is awesome and DC is really worth the trip. Both aren't that far from me.

Deborah

• chrissyb

I'll keep it in mind, thanks.  I have a little bit of what I call wiggle room but I have to see how I hold up....lol   This trip is massive as I have time in Singapore and London before I even get there!  but I am so looking forward to it.

Chrissy

• Foxlairfrm
    I am going to see if this works.
  • Foxlairfrm
  • LovesChristmas-Barb
    LovesChristmas-Barb Member Posts: 504
    Wow chrissyb! You are visiting a lot of places and all over the country too! That sounds wonderful! The only one of those places I haven't visited is New Jersey and they're all beautiful but different from each other. It will be interesting to hear which places are your favorites. =)
  • Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Chrissy sound like you will have a wonderful trip

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413

Welcome Deborah, glad to see you make your way over here Smile

There's a fun group of women here, but we can get serious when we need to.

Barb - what are you waiting for - come on over to Jersey - we let you in free (but you have to pay to leave lol).

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Hi Deborah!  Wecome to see you here.  Wow you have been thru it thats for sure.

Chrissyb   Have a good time!  Yes you are going to several places.  Have a blast and enjoy!

I have a question for you gals who are taking Tamoxifen.  Heres the deal.  I have hotflashes like crazy and it can be a pain.  I get through them just like the zillions of women before me have.  I can really tolerate the heat.  Im not a cod weather person at all. So anyway Im flashing like I normally do, but the last week I get cold chills like crazy!  I dont get it.  Is there anyone else out there who has this going on and is it normal.  I do take a baby asprin everyday also.  I just dont understand what the heck is going on.  Any help is welcome.  

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Hi Deborah!  Wecome to see you here.  Wow you have been thru it thats for sure.

Chrissyb   Have a good time!  Yes you are going to several places.  Have a blast and enjoy!

I have a question for you gals who are taking Tamoxifen.  Heres the deal.  I have hotflashes like crazy and it can be a pain.  I get through them just like the zillions of women before me have.  I can really tolerate the heat.  Im not a cod weather person at all. So anyway Im flashing like I normally do, but the last week I get cold chills like crazy!  I dont get it.  Is there anyone else out there who has this going on and is it normal.  I do take a baby asprin everyday also.  I just dont understand what the heck is going on.  Any help is welcome.  

• OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377
    Wow there is a lot of travelling going on here :), I have decided that I am becoming sooo lazy not working that I best find a new job real soon. I have traveled all over the state of NY for the last 15 years and it feels so good to sleep in my own bed every night that I want to stay in it way too long! I have been going to bed at 1 or 2 am and getting up at 10 or 11, do you think someone would pay me to sleep? My hot flashes are coming on strong all of a sudden and all the other AL symptoms too, is it the heat? Welcome to Foxlairfrm, I think we should nick name you Foxy!
  • Foxlairfrm

Paula, with tamoxifen back when I took it and now with Femara I do get hot and cold flashes. One minute I'm drenched in sweat then I have chill bumps all over. Sometimes the cold flash comes by itself. Hubby teases me "it was hot, it was cold. It was hot, it was cold". Lol. I think it's normal for these meds.

Reesie, I didn't know you were a Jersey girl! How bout that Jersey pike. Good grief I couldn't stand it. Made my husband drive. Otherwise what a beautiful state! The Jersey shores used to be beautiful many years ago, I hope they still are.

I don't know if there has been any place I've been that isn't beautiful in it's own way. Some I wouldn't want to visit again but glad I did. Very hot and humid here in VA and going to get worse by weeks end. Heat index to 117 by Thursday. Not normal here, Phoenix maybe.

Deborah