MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

mmmm.....honey! I just got a free sample of blueberry honey, still have to try it, but...mmmmm!

Elimar - I like your bee picture! It reminds me of my son's logo for an online club he started at Georgia Tech - home of not only the Ramblin' Wreck but also the Yellow Jackets. His logo has some bees flying around and the name of the website is "What's the Buzz?".  Of course, his bees aren't happy bees - they look a little angry.  I guess they have to be aggressive like the sports teams' logos.  :)

• kal_1865
    kal_1865 Member Posts: 145

I so absolutely love this thread there is such a immensely wide variety of topics covered in a mear page.  One minute there is a party, the next a discussion about a pill or treatment the next, local honey.  Unfortunately we have found a common ground of breast cancer, but then again, we would not have these experiences.

• annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160

doing fine and hope all of you are too...

Marlegal- are you far from Valley Forge? I am flying in for a day or two this September to give a talk and am thinking maybe we can hook up somehow. I am not sure of the exact date but I htink it is late September...we usually go in for two nights...sure would love to meet ya:)

• valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110

Been busy since I've been back from vacation. The upper MI is still as beautiful as ever.

Had a great time, the grandkids kept me on my toes.

Went shopping & actually looked at myself in the mirror while trying on some shorts, UGH! Where did my taut skin go? And while walking by some store windows/glass I saw someone & thought, gee, she looks a bit on the old side & realized I was seeing myself. And I thought to myself, "I really do look like a Grandma." I think of my own Grandmothers & they looked Grand-motherly & I never thought I did....but, I guess I do....

When did I become Middle-aged?!?!?!?

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

Val, I hear you. I took a pic of my new hairdo and it was a revelation...in a bad way.

• annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160

amen val and barbaraA- I keep trying to figure out how my mom sneaks in and pops in the mirror when I wake up in the morning and am washing my face.....

oh well....we are ALIVE and that is not such a bad thing- way I see it- we earned every little wrinkle and pooch:) That said...still nagging PS for a little help at the end of my reconstruction journey....I told him with a few cracks of botox and maybe a little juvaderm we can tell everyone it is all a result of my new boobs....

• Foxlairfrm
    Foxlairfrm Member Posts: 126

It must be going around. I went shopping yesterday and the young sales clerk says "I love your skirt! You sure dress hip for someone your age". What was that supposed to mean! My age! I'm only 29... I mean 51.

I have realized from recent pictures that the rapid weight loss is not attractive on my skin. It's kind of saggy in places. I do love being smaller but not doing it like this. I was wearing size 12 yesterday I was trying on a 6 and a 4 albeit their clothes run a bit big. I guess this all makes me look older.

Foxy

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Valjean I know what you mean!  Im just starting the aging process and notice cracks that were not there before.  How did that happen. 

Ok now is the time to do cartwheels if you can.  You can just do them in your head, thats ok.  I just have to tell the world my good news!  The only good thing that has come out of this cancer is I have a new job.  I am the new 7STWE welding coordinater for the company I work for!  Im so excited.  But it also means lots of new studies for abit.  Im glad I didnt start this in the middle of chemo.  I wouldnt have been able to remember much.  Have a great day all and enjoy it!

• Foxlairfrm

Congratulations Paula! That's great news! I don't know if my pea brain could go back to school or study anything new and retain it now. Lol. I can't seem to remember what I'm looking for half the time!

Foxy

• NJvictoria
    NJvictoria Member Posts: 45

I'm with you Foxy! My mind just isn't quite the same since I started taking tamoxifen. I'm 53, so maybe that's it? LOL! I tend to play games on FB to try to keep the old mind working and it seems to be helping a little bit :)

It's good to laugh at ourselves though don't you think? Keeps everyone guessing as to why we're smiling! :)

Vikki

• Foxlairfrm

Vikki, you are so right! I play this word search game about every morning while having my coffee. The vocabulary in this particular game is phenomenal. If I don't know the definition, I look it up. It gets the 'ol gears cranked in the morning. I do really think it helps.

Foxy

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Ooooh, everyone is up and running this morning.  Me too.  Here I go for my f/u mammo and US diagnostics, two years out.  I studied a lot for these tests.  Maybe I can get an "A."

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Good luck Eli!!!!!  I'll be thinking of you and hoping you get the A for all the hard work you've done!!!

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413

My DD keeps telling me I look like her Nana, especially with my limp - I keep threatening to shoot her.  She also likes to remind me that with my hair gray (since I can't color it yet) it's better because she doesn't look as much like me this way.

Oh, Foxy, to be a size 12 right now would make me happy Smile  I think I have to stop eating entirely for the scale at the oncs office to stop lying about me.  Going to start trying to walk around the block in the evenings now (need to rope my DD in for this one, otherwise I won't be able to go out alone - oh the things we used to be able to do).

Congrats Paula66 

Annette - your avatar is making me dizzy Wink 

• reesie

E - you posted at the same time as me - GOOD LUCK - I'm sure you'll ace those exams!

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,902

Hooray for Paula!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

E, I hope you get a B for B9!!

Congrats Paula, how many men did you beat to get that position!!!???? Woo hoo!

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

{{ELI}}

• kal_1865
    kal_1865 Member Posts: 145

elimar - good luck today! 2 years out wow, that just doesn't seem possible for me yet..

I have an appointment today with the PS that started my reconstruction last September, to now start my exchange.  My company changed insurance carriers since my BMX and my PS is no longer in-network.  I will have to pay up front and get reimbursed from the insurance company.  My out of network deductble is HUGE. The PS's office suggested calling the insurance company and request coverage under transitional care to remain in network and they will need an acceptance letter for this.  The insurance company says no, the doctor's office has to call them for pre-authorization.   I am so frustrated and angry with the damn insurance company.  I ended the conversation with the rep, "so, in other words, I'm screwed"-he pretty much agreed.  Fortunately the PS really wants to work this out with me, but money is kinda tight right now with all the other "subscriber is responsible" medical bills.

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Eli - Hope you get good grades on the mammo/US.  Will be thinking about you today.

ressie - I am a size 4 and could stand to put on a lb or 2.  I was a size 14 once upon a time. 

• LovesChristmas-Barb
    LovesChristmas-Barb Member Posts: 504
    Good luck elimar and congratulations on the new job Paula!
  • Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Paula congrats on the new job

Eli I hope you pass with flying colors.

I used to be a size 8 now 2's are too big.  I have to gain weight so I can have surgery.

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

Paula-- how exciting!! Way to go!!! You should be so proud of yourself!

Eli-- hope you pass with flying colors!! Top of the class!! Congrats on the 2 year milestone too!

I am so jealous of you size 2's out there. I gained almost 20 lbs during chemo. I can't seem to shake it even tho I have had no appetite since rads.

Kim -- can your doc work out a payment plan? He should give you a much lower price if it's coming out of your pocket. And yes insurance companies a a PITA!!!

• elimar

REPORT CARD:  I got an "A" on all the tests today, but got a "D" for patience.  I know the pace of things by now, so when it got to two hours and I hadn't even been back for the US, I had to ask a nice volunteer lady to check if they had forgotten about me.  No, it was backed up due to one US being down earlier.  Anyway, all told, I was there three and a half hours.  They tell you to expect three hours, well that extra half hour seemed like an eternity.  Sure they have some coffee "while you wait" but at that point, I was looking around for a snack, and there were none.  I just know a snack bag of Cheetos would have taken the edge off.  I'll know better next time.

Yippee, skippee!          

• reesie

Yay E! Sorry for your wait, but makes me feel better about my 2 1/2 hour mammo/US that was just because (left side only mind you) .

Hope you had some Cheetos at home.

• elimar

Thanks all for the well wishes on my testing today.

I didn't have the time earlier to say, Congrats, Paula66, on the new job!

kal_1865, Good luck at the PS.  That is horrible that you are getting screwed on the insurance coverage.  On rare occasions, a phone call to the insurance co. where you can make a personal connection (and not just be a case number) can sometimes get them to work with you, but the chances of finding a four leaf clover in your lawn are slightly better, unfortunately

• elimar
    No, reesie, my boys devoured them late last night (after I distinctly told them, "Don't eat them all.")
  • valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110

Great news, E !!!! Cool

And, congrats, Paula, on the new job position. I'm sure you worked your A*S off for that!

Have a horrible headache, so off to lay down with a warm cloth & a couple of Tylenol PM. This heat doesn't help, either. 98 now & off to the races - this is awful for MI.

Hugs!

Edited to add: Sorry for weather report, E. It just worked in conjunction with my headache story!

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Congrats Eli  - great news is always good.

Brought you some cheetos.  Do enjoy them.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

valjean, a COOL cloth would probably feel better and if it doesn't, it will be a warm cloth soon enough. Isn't this heat insane!!! With humidex in, our temp is going to hit 120. HUMID!!!!!