MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    Sherryc, the bone scan uses an injection of radioactive meterial, given about three hours before the scan.  It will head to the bones and it shows "bone metabolism" or activity.  Too much activity can indicate a fracture, arthritis or bone mets depending how it looks.  The scan takes about 40-45 minutes, on average.
  • Nanorama
    Nanorama Member Posts: 8
    Sherry - I know the answer to your question, so I'll jump in and answer and also say "hi" to all my age-mates on this thread, which I just found today.

A bone scan is a nuclear imaging test, different from an x-ray.

First they inject nuclear tracers into a vein. (Images of the injection may be taken right away, or not.) Then they make you wait around 2-4 hours, so the tracers can get absorbed by your bones. Sometimes you're allowed to leave radiology during the wait, sometimes not. You're asked to drink extra water to remove any radioactive stuff that wasn't absorbed by your bones.

The scan itself is a lot like a DEXA scan. You lie still on a table while the gamma camera passes over you and records the pattern of tracer absorption.  It's totally painless. But it takes longer than a DEXA - if they're scanning your whole body it may take an hour. 

Sometimes they do what is called a 3-phase scan, which is images taken at different times: first at the time of injection, then a little while later, then 3-4 hours later. 

Hope this helps!

Best of luck,
    Nan 

• lynniea
    lynniea Member Posts: 336

Thanks all for the support It is great to have it

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Elimar and Nan thanks for the info.  Had no idea what a bone scan was.  If this hip conitnues to hurt I may have to ask for one to try to figure out what is really going on in there.

• Foxlairfrm
    Foxlairfrm Member Posts: 126

Sherry, everyone pretty much answered the question about the bone scan. Really painless and kind of fun to watch all your bones "fill in" on the screen. I had a lot of hip pain right aftter chemo that was totally unexplained except for a bit of arthritis. They did all sorts of scans and X-rays. Onc said it could be se of meds.

Foxy

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

Lynniea--Happy, happy for you!! I know the relief you feel, its a GREAT  feeling. I had an appt with my Gyn Onc this am for a F/U on a growth on my ovary. He said no new growth (in last 6 months) so he didn't want to see me back for 6 months, unless I have symptoms. Pheww, what a relief.

I haven't heard about the honey, but if it gives me an excuse to eat biscuits and honey, count me in!! 

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

nundi, I am actually in Green Briar at the Nottawasga Inn. I would PM you but don`t know if you know what that is yet. I`ll let you get comfortable with the site first. 

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413

Welcome NJvictoria and nundi 

Vikki - are you originally a Jersey girl?

I have mucho allergies, maybe I should start adding honey to my diet on a regular basis.  It isn't going to hurt and I like it. Actually, funny thing is there's a jar in my bedroom right now.

Get your heads out of the gutters ladies - it's still on my nightstand from when I was bedridden.  I wasn't eating much, but chicken tenders worked and I love them with honey.

• barbe1958

Don`t you have to refrigerate honey....

Welcome Victoria too!

• Foxlairfrm

Reesie, you made me laugh till it hurt! It has to be local honey for allergies. Something the bees do (I don't want to know..hehe) with the local pollens and I suppose airborne allergens. The honey can't come from "strange" stores ;) Sorry, I'm still giggling about that!

Foxy

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

barbe1958 no honey does not have to be refrigerated. 

Reesie gave me a laugh too that it is in your bedroom

Foslair the local honey has to do with the pollen that the bees get from the plants and then they make their honey.  That is why all honey taste different. 

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

ressie - Honey in the bedroom - really?  Wink

Hi Sherry - Hope you are doing well. 

• annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160

I cheated- i zoomed to this page cuz I wanted to say hi and I am htinking of you all:)

• jo1955

annette - Where have you been - you sure have been missed

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

Paula, I'm responding to an older post so you may have gotten other answers - re: Tamox and chills.  I did 3 1/2 yrs of Tamox before switching to Aromasin and I don't remember that happening to me.  I also take a baby aspirin daily. The only time I'd get chills is when the sweat was drying after a really bad flash or during the night when I'd wake up soaked and then lay directly in front of the fan. Somehow though I have a feeling that you might get (or have gotten) answers saying "yeah, I had that too" ... seems whenever one of us posts anything in here, there's someone else who experienced the same thing!

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781

I am way behind like Anette and just wanted to touch base and say hello to all!

• elimar
    Marlegal is correct and that is one of the best things about these boards, being able to check if something weird is happening to just you or if it's something common to most women.  I really appreciate being able to do that.
  • marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

Barbe, honey does NOT have to be refrigerated.  It's the only food that never spoils.  If you have it stored in a cabinet and it gets a crusty layer on top, microwave in 10 second increments until everything is liquid again. Take that to your next cocktail party for trivia!!!  Obviously I expect everyone to Google for confirmation but it's true - one of those things I learned years ago somehow and actually hear it repeated now and then!

NEW JERSEY GIRLS OR THOSE TRAVELLING TO NEW JERSEY - please let me know if out of towners are coming 'cause I'd love to get a luncheon together if possible.  I live just outside Phila, PA which is only minutes from many towns in Jersey. 

Chrissy - what part of Jersey are you visiting and for how long?

Hugs to all - I know I haven't kept up on all pages for quite some time 'cause I don't check every day so if I missed any big news and didn't comment, please know that I'm sorry if you've experienced something that is other than joyous, and I'm thrilled for you if you've experienced healing or other good news.

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Eli I know what you mean.  The gals around her are so good to go outa there way in helping each other.  Im just 2 months into the Tamoxifen and the SE have me baffled sometime.  When I have a question you gals do your best to help. 

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413

Well this Jersey Girl will be stuck in Philly for a couple of days in August if you get adventurous Marlegal.

And guess what, I knew that about honey ;)

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Marle I'm not sure of exactly what area but I'll check with Dotty....lol....that sounds wierd doesn't it?  I'm travelling halfway round the world and I'm not sure of the area exactly....lol...   Dotty did say that it was just across the river so I'm assumng it's not too far from Philly and I will be there a week.

Another piece of trivia about honey.......did you know that honey was used by the ancients as an antiseptic to help stop wounds from putrifying? and today, Australians buy the Mellaluka Honey to do the same thing!

• Foxlairfrm

Chrissy that is interesting. I was reading about rhododendrons and where to plant them. Turns out they are poisonous to not only horses but people. In Greece around the 4th century BC over 10 thousand soldiers were killed by eating honey in the area heavily populated by rhododendrons. Apparently the preceding soldiers knew about it and left the honey for them. It's called "mad honey disease"

Foxy

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

The two suspect species of Rhododendron that are poisonous are the Rhododenron Ponticum and the Rhododendrom Luteum, but there is a genus of over 1000 species that come under the heading Rhododenron meaning rose tree in ancient Greek.

• NJvictoria
    NJvictoria Member Posts: 45

Mariegal,

I'm from Freehold, New Jersey....exit 8 off the turnpike. If you guys can organize a get together, please let me know. I now live in MD, but it's not that long of a drive :)

Vikki

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Following Annette and Sandee's lead and checking in on how things are going for everyone.

• barbe1958

Just another honey facto. When we were in Turkey they served honey with EVERYTHING. The bees used pine trees to make their honey and we expected the honey to be horrid. It was the SWEETEST most BESTEST honey I've ever had!!!! Surprise, surprise!!

Meece, I'm okay, still on STD and waiting for doctors appts......

• jo1955

barbe - I lived in Izmir, Turkey for 15 months when I was in the Air Force and you are right, you get honey with just about anything.  My favorite thing was the baklava - the honey sauce was really yummy!

• elimar

Eating honey leads to increase in the antioxidant levels, which are helpful in protecting cell damages caused by free radicals. The ability of the honey to increase the antioxidant level can be determined by the color itself—darker the honey, higher will be the antioxidant levels.

• LovesChristmas-Barb
    LovesChristmas-Barb Member Posts: 504

I guess I need to start eating honey again. I remember reading about honeybees to one of my kids (I homeschool) and he looked at me and said "Honey is bee barf!" Yuck....it's been hard for me to eat honey ever since...hehe....

• juliet62
    juliet62 Member Posts: 3,246

well the latest/bestest dressings on the market are infused with honey