Second price        Marlegal

Third price            BarbaraA

CONGRATULATIONS Smile

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

You rock.

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

WTG JO!  Cant wait for your pic next weekend!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

I must have been hungry...it looked like food to me.

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Are You Kidding Me?  Really?  Wow! I never win anything.

At least I have all week to come up with something.  I promise I will leave the dog toys alone this week.  

• Foxlairfrm
    Foxlairfrm Member Posts: 126

I would have never guessed! That was a good one!

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

Way to go Jo

Made it home from NM. Was going to delay it a day but it would not change the out come for my dad either way. He had a good night so was more responsive this morning, just call when we got in and there has been no change. We all had our time with and told him it was OK for him to go home, mom is waiting. Thank you all so much for your support.

• jo1955
    mjb - That is what we are here for and will be here for you whenever you need us.
  • marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

mjb, I'm so glad you recognized the importance of saying goodbye and telling him it was okay for him to go. I was lucky enough to have that chance too, but many don't and it's huge later in life to look back and have that time. hugs hon.

jo - congrats!!!!  can't wait to see what you give us. I'm happy for 2nd place - I feel a win coming on :)

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532

mjb, i agree with marlegal ... it's wonderful that you had a chance to tell your dad goodbye although i know it won't make the pain any less, at least for awhile.  i'm so sorry you're going through all of this.

ok ... i got my port last thursday and i'm supposed to start chemo this thursday.  the port has been a bit uncomfortable, but it's only been four days.  i thought the port would be a piece of cake, but the procedure itself took almost two hours and it's been more painful than my lumpectomy and sentinel lymph node removal.  i know it will get better but i can't imagine getting a needle stuck on that port in just a few days. 

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

YaYa, hi...not sure we "met" before.  If you still have pain in that area, by all means talk to onc and postpone chemo if necess.  If it's just tender, you'll be ok ... they don't touch the part where the pain is, they insert hte needle in the skin area where usually you truly don't feel anything at all, I promise! If you do, they did something wrong and you need to get it fixed before another treatment. Good luck hon.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

YaYa, I was given a numbing cream to rub on the skin over the top of the port.  I applied it about an hour before the appt time & never really felt anything; the port was great because my veins "hide", but I have to say I was never not aware that it was there (if I didn't say that right I mean to say, I ALWAYS knew the port was there until it was removed.)   

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

YaYa I had some discomfort as well.  It does let up and it gets better.  It was a bit uncomfortable to sleep, but once I found a comfortable spot I slept.  I too had a numbing cream to put on before treatment.  It works like a charm.

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

pminxy-Welcome to our little sisterhood. We all wish we had met under different circumstances, but we have great ears for listening and hearts for big ((((HUGS))))!!

MJB- sending my thoughts and hugs your way.  

Sherryc--I'm glad that your dad is feeling better. Having a good attitude thru all this C maze is half the battle.

YaYa-My port site hurt for a couple of weeks, now its just plain annoying!! It does take awhile for your body to recognize this foreing alien creature in your chest!! But I agree, if it is really bothering you see your BS, he may have to "readjust" it. I too used the numbing cream, it really makes the whole experience a breeze. OK, maybe thats an exaggeration!!  Now if I could just mine removed. . .its been 7 months since my last chemo and my MO wants to wait till the fall. . . RRRGGHH!!!! 

• Foxlairfrm

I haven't had a port put in yet, no need right now. I'm holding off as long as possible. When I had one before it was a large port with 2 things hanging out of the skin. This was for the stem cell transplant. I thought the other port was supposed to be hardly noticable. I have a friend that has left hers in for 15 yrs, she doesn't notice it at all. So - are they uncomfortable? More reason for me to wait... Lol

• elimar

Fifteen years?  Is that even possible.  I thought that over time they kind of migrated to the surface, plus don't they need flushing with heparin once a month?  (Maybe not if hers was no longer used, but still!)

• suzwes
    suzwes Member Posts: 765

Hi Ladies,

I haven't checked in for a while so just wanted to say hello and I think about all of you daily.  Welcome to the new ladies.  This thread is hard for me to keep up with because when I open it, it still takes me to Barb's lovely face on the bottom of page 2.  I think I'll email the moderators right now about it.  I keep missing out on the conversations and the mystery picture. 

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

Fox....I'm the port lady here. They or should we say 1...it wasn't uncomfortable at all

I kept it around 17 months after my last Herceptin.

Almost that was like my protection.

Yes Elimar once a month I used to go to the hospital and they flushed it with Heparin.

Port didn't bother me at all but i know it scared some people LOL

It was visible but so easy to get my chemo.

i used to call it my electrical outlet.

• elimar

suzwes, I don't think we've heard from you since way back before the "Thriver's Cruise."  I like your new photo!  You look happy, so I take it all your check ups have been going well.  We are having the mystery pic every weekend, so long as people enjoy it and want to play along.  Jo is the reigning champ with two wins under her belt.

Sorry the thread is still messed up.  It's like that for me too, and a bunch of others (but not everyone.)  We can't figure it out, but then the site techs haven't yet either.  Some of us have PM'ed, but nothing has changed.  I think you should let them know because I don't think they know who, or how many, are affected.  Worth a try.

• Foxlairfrm

Whew! CT scans good, tumor markers down again! Relief! Only concern is I still am losing weight. 9 lbs in six weeks this time and 7 lbs six weeks last time. What's up with that? Scheduled a bone scan because of increased back pain. I'm very optimistic! Sounds like good news!

Foxy

• suzwes
    suzwes Member Posts: 765

I did email them E, so hopefully it will get better.  It seems like since I got back from the thriver's cruise (which was wonderful and Mum and I had a terrific time together) life has been going at 90 mph!  My check ups have been going well, thanks for asking.

I need to add that MJB and Sherry are in my prayers.  Also, my port hurt for a while after I had it placed but when the nurses accessed the port it didn't hurt any more than normal.  I wish I would have remembered to ask for the numbing gel!  I still think the port was a Godsend and was very happy to have it even if I experienced occasional discomfort!

• elimar

Foxie, You probably eat very healthy. Have you tried adding the protien shakes, or the high calorie sports bars in for a snack?  Nuts are a good snack.

When my mom was losing weight on her chemo, the doctor tried to "Supersize" her.  He told her to stop on the way home and get a Big Mac and a milkshake, and that is probably something like 1,000 calories right there.  She told him she could not stomach something greasy like that.  At the time, she only had a taste for cottage cheese, vanilla yogurt and fruit.  Healthy, but not caloric enough.  They did give her a med. to stimulate appetite that helped a little.

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413

Prayers for your dad's mjb and sherry.

I'm on my second port and don't feel/see it except for the scar. I don't even need any numbing cream/spray for use. It's just a quick pin prick.

So I sit here waiting for the nurse at the orth to call me with the pre-cert number so I can schedule an mri of my left tibia. I either have a fracture or tore a muscle. Good news is xray showed great healing where my met used to be.

But it's back to no weight bearing til we know.

• Foxlairfrm

Geez Reesie, hope it works out ok for you. Take care of yourself!

Foxy

• jo1955

Reesie - Girlfriend you need to catch a break and real soon - hope it is nothing major.  Sending big (((HUGS)))

• janinnj
    janinnj Member Posts: 63

Reesie-You have sure a great sense of humor for all you are going through.  Glad to here you are healing and sorry to hear about the new problems.  I was talking to a friend yesterday who had her first BC Dx at age 39,she is now 77.  She has had 3 recurrences since with mets in lungs and bones.  I met her about 6 years ago just after she finished her last round of treatment.  She gets stronger and more youthful everytime I see her.  Her fight and love of life are a real inspiration.  She was sharing horror stories of her first chemo and inability to keep any food down.  Made me realize how lucky I was to get all the anti-nausea drugs they use now.

YaYa-I had my port put in on a Tues and 1st Chemo through it on Thurs it was tender when the accessed it.  By the 3rd time it wasn't so tender any more.  I never had the numbing cream but it sound like a good idea. 

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

Reesie, I double like the part about "great healing where my bone met USED to be" Here's to hoping your injury heals quickly!!

15 years for a port??!! i know you do what you have to do, but I couldn't imagine having one that long. I just wish they would make them a little smaller. . .  

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Reesie what rotten luck.  You need a break (but not bone) sending (((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413

Thanks everyone. I'm not sure which would be better fracture or tear. Well nothing would be better but with the amount of pain involved I'm pretty sure that's not on the table. I pretty sure it's some muscle thing from radiation. Whatever it is it just better not interfere with surgery plans.

My niece called me and said she's gonna play my cancer card to try to get her son's baptism before my surgery. She asked me when she was pregnant to stand up for him as his Godmother. I was really touched. He's my little McGyver (his name is Richard Dean lol).

I was so sad when I first called him that and she said "huh?" Because she didn't know who McGyver was.