Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

Good news madpeacock!  Very happy for you!

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

Joanna--great news--heres to no chemo!!! HAPPY DANCE!!!!!

Valjean welcome back, even with no sleep, I bet it was good to see the little ones!

Day off today, groceries,P.O., my DS has a concert tonight and I have a ton of work (from work) to do. Wait did I say day off??? 

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

madp,   Gotta love that MO.  It is good for them to be "questioning" too sometimes.  Glad that you do not have the additional source of B/C growth as it means one less drug to take.  Yippee!

o-mat,  If it was a short lasting pain and then gone, probably those inflamed/healing nerves are the culprit once again.  "Serrated knife?"  Yeah.  There is also "ice pick" and "hot poker."  So disturbing to feel them, buta lot of us get them.  I had "hot poker" one time only, over a year out.

Val, Haha.  So funny how we have to "sleep off" the Grandkids, like we used to sleep off those late nights of our youths.  I said "we" but no Grandkids for me yet.  I'll definitely be older when they arrive.  I'll definitely have to recover from the long visits.

• elimar

janis,  Found this pretty message.  Hope you will soon start to .......

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

joanna, what difference in your treatment will occur if your BRCA comes back positive? Won't you still get your rads???

• barbe1958

Thanks for the better picture at the top elimar. But, I must state that I am STUNNED that no on picked up on my igloo comment last page or two....!!!!!

• lwarstler
    lwarstler Member Posts: 123

Joanna: Wow, what a wonderful change for you....I hope the rest all comes out thumbs up the way you want.

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    Hi ladies from not so sunny Mexico.We are supposed to fly out tonight just hope our flight is not cancelled.Should be interestingUndecided
  • Kay_G

Janis, how are you doing?  Spoke to RO yesterday before radiation.  I am a little pink.  I knew being so fair and easily sunburned that I would get pink and red also.  I am taking someone's suggestion and bringing lotion with me to put on immediately after radiation.  RO told me yesterday that it can take 3 to 4 weeks for all the skin effects to happen (can continue to progress one to two weeks after finishing) and it will take that same amount of time to get back to heal (3 to 4 weeks).  I asked if the skin gets damaged more quickly (which I think will be the case in my situation), would it also heal more quickly.  Answer:  no.  I thought it was a good thought.

• LovesChristmas-Barb
    LovesChristmas-Barb Member Posts: 504
    I'm happy for your good news Joanna! Here's hoping no chemo either....
  • walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

Joanna - Whoo Hoo, happy for you.

• elimar

kay1963,  Fair skinned women have the same 1 in 3 chance to have a more severe reaction to rads as do darker skinned women.  I'm not too dark, got pink after the first week, but overall did very well with my peeling only being in the boost area and only the top layer, just like a moderate sunburn would.  If swarthiness really helped, hardly any black women would get skin breakdown; but they do and some quite badly.   The tips we have given will give you your best chance to do well, and I hope you do.

Barbe, What igloo comment?  I missed it too.

• Hello ladies and other Kittys, lol. Thanks for the great welcome and support to the group. Sorry I haven't been around for a couple of days but just trying to get caught up on a few things. All this is happening so fast. They set my wire guided lump. for the 20th. Pre-op tomorrow and my GP in a few minutes. Now the onc. is saying she can get to the wall without removing anything but the lump, unlike what she said last week. I'm going to insist on a MRI before anything else is done since she contradicted herself. Going to ask my GP about the "mosaic" look, and about the other test that can be. I return to work tonight unless GP says different. Still draining from site and lumpy around nipple.(new symptom) Will check properly middle of night after work. Got-a-go  Thanks ladies

• elimar

barnykit, Lumpy nipple most likely from fluid build up.  You can try the light massage stroke for Lymphadema to try to get the fluid to flow elsewhere.  (Google, or You Tube, on correct way to do it.) 

• mostlymom
    mostlymom Member Posts: 378

i have a question - i'm having cortisone shots in both knees for pain which i have had before.  i told my pcp about my right shoulder hurting also since the radiation & he suggested a shot there too - now i'm wondering if i should have an injection in my "bad" arm ????  it didn't occur to me at the time - comments PLEASE....

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

m-mom ... very good question. I don't have an answer but will be very curious to hear what others have to say about it. for me personally, I think it would depend on the pain involved, and a quick call to my LE therapist.

• Kay_G

Yeah, I don't know either, but I just got lymphedema.  I think holding my arms over my head for rads caused it to flare up.  I'm not sure if you have lymphedema, but if you have a therapist, I'd ask him.  I just saw mine tonight, going again on Thursday.  I can ask him if you want.  I'm not sure your PCP would have the knowledge about lymphedema to know.

• barbe1958

mostlymom, the biggest fear with needles is the chance of infection. I'm pretty sure that one shot in a hospital enviroment would be sterile enough. I just had 3 injections into an epidureal in my spine. I can't move if I don't get them. It's not like leaving an IV in for days. It's a quick shot in and out. Go for it!

• Kay_G

I don't know, they say blood draws in the "bad" arm are a no no.  I guess it depends on how bad your pain is.

• elimar

mostlymom,  You don't have any edema or swelling on that side, do you?   I don't think the cortisone shot would bring on lymphedema, but mention your "bad" side to PCP beforehand anyway.  Anyway, like Barbe said, the real risk to your treatment side is infection.  A person with lymphedema knows that side is compromised, so the risk is greater. 

Please try and find some threads about "frozen shoulder."  I know there is one in the Mid-Age forum. I don't know too much about it, but some get it after surgery and rads.  They usually need PT to get full mobility back.  Check and see if it sounds like this might be the problem for your shoulder.

• barbe1958

kay, someone getting chemo who gets blood draws a lot, or even chemo, wouldn't be able to use their bad arm. A one-shot that HAS to go in that side (cortisone) is worth the risk of infection if you consider quality of life. I guess I'm lucky that my bad side is my non-dominant side.

• barbe1958

e, someone a page or two back asked it we had bathing suit weather in Canada. I said that after our igloos melt we have a very short period.

• elimar
    And just what WEEK is that. Barbe?  Wink
  • mostlymom
    mostlymom Member Posts: 378

thanks for the advice - makes me breathe a sigh of relief to hear from you gals!

barbe - after over 30 years in Alaska, i understand bathing suit weather - and it did happen every once in awhile....

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

mostlymom - Depending on how bad the pain is, I would ask about any needles in the "bad" arm and avoid needles as much as possible.  I wouldn't think one shot would do any harm and like Barbe said, if it is done in a hospital environment, the risk of infection goes way down.  I, for one, wear a Lymphedema Alert bracelet even though I have not had it.  Better safe than sorry.

• zumbagirl
    zumbagirl Member Posts: 250

How does everyone post pictures from their phone, or facebook, or computer on here? My daughter couldn't figure it out, and she posts pics all the time. I was trying to post the pic of Eph 3_12 and I .

• stjude10
    stjude10 Member Posts: 230

I have a ? for you gals. I had my mx on 9/7 with a total of 23 nodes removed. I still have some numbness and tingling in the armpit and under my bicep. Okay, expected that. Here's the weird thing. My arm from the inside of the elbow to the inside of the wrist is quite painful. It's a bit swollen, and when I DO move that arm much, there is quite a bit of pain and pulling in that area as well as sore to touch. It's almost as though it's got a bad sprain. I'm wondering if it got sprained while I was out, and they were trying to move me around.

My BS is getting a testing system for lymphedema in his office next week. It's supposed to have leads, like ekg, that are put on your arm and can detect the onset or potential onset for lymph. Has anyone heard of this? I got the call today and will be the first one tested. I think it'll be a great service.

• KittyGirl2011
    KittyGirl2011 Member Posts: 324

Hey madpeacock good luck with the rads.  That is what I had and really was glad to be able to do that.  No SE's that I couldn't handle.  Good luck with the BRCA test and really hoping for a negative.

Barbe-should be keep track when our igloos melt out this year?  I know what you mean, we had a snow pile at work that didn't all melt until June!

Kay- keep that skin greased up when your done each day.  I know I'm very fair skinned and was glad that I did not have to go the long route with rads cause of that fear of burn where no sun has been before.  OUCH!  I'm still worried for Janis.

Best wishes for everyone else this week!  Kitty

PS  Claire this is specially for you girl!  Enjoy your day off!

• VictoriaB
    VictoriaB Member Posts: 85

Hi Lori,

I dunno but maybe you have axillary web syndrome. I had lump with one node removed in Aug and had excruciating pain from my armpit to my fingers! Surgeon said it would go away but I finally got a frozen shoulder and went to a PT who specializes in LE and AW and they have been stretching me for about 6 weeks. I have heard there is a new test for LE using a machine. But you will want to find a great PT fast, to reduce the pain and scar tissue.  Go to www.lymphnet.org and there is a place to find people who are really qualified to treat women with bc. Hope this helps!

• Kay_G

Yes Lori, I would get some PT, whether it's lymphedema or not.  I was getting PT before I got lymphedema just for range of motion.  Did you have drains under your arm?  I think that is what qualified me for PT for the insurance.  Even if you didn't, with your symptoms now, I think your insurance would cover PT.

Zumba girl, did Michelle try to teach you on the food thread how to post pix?  I haven't done it, am going to try soon.  If you have the pix on your computer, you can insert them into the post by clicking on the tree at the menu on top of the posting screen.  (It has Bold, Italics,etc.  The tree is right next to the smiley face.)  At least I think that's what she said.  To get the pix to your computer from your phone, you could e-mail it to yourself if you can't download them right to your phone.  Sorry if I'm wrong, maybe someone else will correct me.  This is the blind leading the blind.