Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• stjude10
    stjude10 Member Posts: 230

I'm not sure what color the port is, it's still covered. I think the blue was the aneseptic they used. I did notice I have what looks like a burn on my lip. Makes me wonder what kinda party went on in there! I did have PT today and the weird feelings I'm having is the beginning of cording. Will have to look that up for more info and keep up the therapy. I've way overdone it today, so it's a pain killer and a nap for me.

Hope all you gals have a great day and madpeacock what great news about your brca test!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Now I'm wondering something about LE.  I KNOW this:  1)  You can get LE shortly after surgery or it can come on months later down the road; and 2)  The more nodes out the more chance to get LE; but in the case of someone (let's say me) who had just a couple nodes out and now it's two years later, do I really have much liklihood to get LE at this point?

kay1963,  You are doing the right thing by addressing the LE early.  That rash sounds irritating too.  That's why they call it the gift that keeps on giving.  Arrrgh!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Reese thanks for sharing the news segment.  I was so touched by it.

Kay yikes on the skin rash, that with LE and rads.  You mush be getting miserable.

st jude the arby's story is funny but glad you made it through OK

mjbmiller (cuz) I will be thinking of you tomorrow during the walk, oh heck I'll just ride along in your pocket.

I have to have mammo's every six months and am suppose to have yearly MRI's but they are getting to dang expensive so told the MO I would opt out for a US this time around as insurance pays 100% of it.  But the thing is I am 49 and already sick of getting scanned every six months and they tell me this is for life.  I never get to move to yearly because of my history and even though I was stage 1 grade 1 they tell me I am at a higher risk than normal for a 2nd BC. But not too worry because they will catch it early.  Easy for them to say.  Also went to my pain doctor today and my blood pressure was a little up.  Have always had really low BP.  They asked me if I was stressed about anything.  Yeah, Dad is sick DH was in Hospital earlier this week but fine now, and I have too much breast pain.  the nurse said that will do it!

• janinnj
    janinnj Member Posts: 63

Reesie-Found your news segment.  Thanks for speaking out.  You look great.  You are definatly a hero.

Sherri- ((HUGS))) for all you're going thru.

Got my mammo results today.  "Patchy densities in the left breast which are probably just normal breast tissue as they seem to compress out on the additional veiws."  Follow up in 6 mos.  Now tell me if I am just worrying needlessly.  I had ILC which they say does not show up as easily on a mammo as it is flatter and doesn't lump.  It is also more likely to be bi-lateral.

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

Elimar, I think Binney would have to answer that question, I will ask my LE therapist next time I see him though.  I asked today what is the % that get LE and he said docs will quote any where from 6 to 60% because I guess they are calling different things LE or maybe they are talking about different populations of breast cancer patients.  He said 30% of people who've had at least a lymph node removed.  He said gaining weight (BS had told me obesity was a risk factor), having rads and obviously having lymph nodes removed were risk factors. 

Thanks for the sympathy with the rash.  It is just about completely gone now.  I am supposed to start wrapping my arm again tomorrow, but taking it off at least once per day to make sure it hasn't come back and no more LE exercises yet.  All is good with that.

And so far the lotion is definitely helping with rads.  As soon as I get out, I can see that it immediately gets red, but putting the lotion right on really lessens it.  Only done 8, so hope it will continue to hold off any bad reactions, but I have really sensitive skin so we'll see.

Sherry, I agree that would make anyone's blood pressure go up.  You have a lot on your plate.  I understand about the scans too.  I was told that by my onc as well.  She didn't recommend BMX, said they would catch it early if I get a new cancer in the other breast and the only reason to do the BMX would be to alleviate worry if I was going to be too stressed over it.  I am a worrier too, so I hope I made the right decision.  I don't think I'll worry other than when I have to get scans and see doctors.  I do think the uni MX was much easier to recover from than a BMX would have been.  I had at least one side that I could use my arm and do things, but that was only a few weeks that that would really be a concern vs. the rest of your life worrying. 

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Thanks for the link to your interveiw Ressie!  It was moving. 

Congrats mad peacock and the BRCA negative results.  

Happy Friday all and enjoy the weekend!

• LovesChristmas-Barb
    LovesChristmas-Barb Member Posts: 504

I'm sorry that your mammo results give you no peace of mind janinnj.....that stinks.

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Elimar -  I am not a pink fanatic but I would eat one of those - it is dessert.

• elimar

Disclaimer:  While I might encourage everyone to gluttonize sweet treats and snack items in massive quantities on this thread, I trust everyone to eat nutritiously & in moderation in real life.  Everyone knows that, right?  (Reality buzzkill, sorry.)

Gimme another Pink Poodle Cupcake! 

• tinkertude
    tinkertude Member Posts: 1,998

Elimar.. question what about if I had a bilat masectomy, do you know what the stats are on if there will be a local or distance mets would be? just wondering.

Thanks Reese for the link to your interview and for sharing, a true inspiration hugs!

Madpeacock! wonderful news for the results.

hope everyone has a good weekend!

• elimar

tink,  I have only seen and heard that the stat for a local recurrence after you have BMX is like 2%-5%.  I do not know what the percentage range would be for distant recurrance (mets.)

(edit:  I like how I spell recurrence both right and wrong in the same post.  Duh!)

• tinkertude

Thanks Elimar!

• stjude10
    stjude10 Member Posts: 230

Oh Elimar, pink or not, you can bet your A that I would def eat one of those.

• Sherryc

Tink did you have an oncotype DX done as that would give you a good distant recurrance rate.

• tinkertude

Sherry i did... it was so screwed up though... the lobular came back low a 9 BUT the ductal they accidently sent out twice and  the same tumor had 2 completly different scores one was a 14 and one was a 23... so who knows????  The surgeon said well this makes treatment a little more difficult  duh! along with a micro met in a lypmph node.whuch led to the axiallary dissection which was 11/11 all clear! .. But after 2nd opinions they all agreed the benefits did not outweigh the risk of getting chemo so I didnt do it. So i always wonder about it. Onc said " this proves tumors are not homogeneous".

• Sherryc

Tink I forgot that yours had been messed up.  Mine was 23 which gave me a 14% chance of distance recurrance.  I had two opionions and both said the benefits did not outway the risk.  I also wonder if I did the right thing by skipping chemo.  I am such a worry wart anyway.

• tinkertude

Sherry... I hear ya I think of it also. Cant undo it so  I have to stick with the Tamoxifen and pray for the best!

• Sherryc

tink I know I worry sometimes and just have to get it out of my mind.  Like you take the Tamox and pray for the best.

• madpeacock
    madpeacock Member Posts: 216

Even tho I am dairy/egg/nut/gluten intolerant, I am SO biting the heads off one of those pink poodle cupcakes! Yell As my daughter would say, "Rawr!"

So, sitting here with my Mammosite catheter in place ready for Monday and thinking that for the first time since surgery, my arm does not feel weird? Have I just replaced it with a new weird? I do have drainage - ew - so maybe it is changing the pressure inside and no longer affecting nerves going into the arm. Who knows...

My husband teaches high school and today was a "pink out" day. The man has no pink, so last night we were going around to stores looking for a shirt that wasn't girly. Couldn't find one. His school had done a shirt for the students that he ended up buying - they are the Warriors - and the A was repaced with a BC ribbon. Actually rather well done. His coworkers have been so supportive and have covered him without complaining every time he wanted to go to an appt with me. 

Rambling and tired, so off to bed! 

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

Reesie--thanks for the video link--it was great seeing you--and you look mah-vel-lous!!!! And very inspiring!!!

Eli--love the sugary pink puppy cakes!! This IS the only place we can eat that cr*p and not feel guilty!! If we can't indulge in things here, where can we? Speaking of indulging, did I mention my DH is out of town on a camping trip. . . cupcakes aren't the only thing we can indulge in here and not feel guilty!!

• valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110

Claire, I am SO indulging !!!

Johnny D ~ Oh, SO Yummy! Just as good as those pink cupcakes!!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

I'm allergic to latex, so for Paula (was it?) who got all red, make sure there is no latex in the wrapping. I bet there is though.... Maybe you will get used to it and it would make you just a little less red each time. LE can occur at any time years after you've messed with the lymph passages.

Don't carry your purse or something heavy (luggage) on that arm. Don't keep your arm cramped up for long periods of time (phone). Don't under use or over use that arm. It becomes a habit to protect it.

I'm surprised that 65,000 mammos only showed 96 breast cancers! What happened to the 1 in 8 odds? NOT having the BRCA gene doesn't protect family members from never getting breast cancer. BC that is inherited only accounts for less than 10% of all breast cancers!

• Kay_G

Good points, Barbe1958.  I think it's me you are talking about with the allergy.  The PT actually doesn't think it's an allergy though.  Thinks it was caused by friction of the wrap rubbing over my arm.  But to be proactive, gave me a new wrap that is 100% cotton that will be touching my arm instead of the synthetic one.  I have to wait until the redness goes away though.  I think I'm safe to do it today.  Latex has never bothered me.  I can't wear jewelry though.  If it's not gold, my skin gets bumps and turns green.  My ear lobes get swollen from earrings.  And my finger get black and itchy and red, even from gold.  I think it's a reaction to nickel which is in everything I think.  Stupid sensitive skin....

• Kay_G

Oh, and pass one of the pink poodle cup cakes please.  It will make up for the chocolate chip cookies I passed on last night.  :)

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Mmmmmmm pup cakes!  Is there a mystery picture this week?  Or, has that stopped?  I am trying so hard to keep up.

• madpeacock
  • barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Checkers!!

• madpeacock

Above is this week's mystery picture! (Couldn't get text in the post for some reason, but at least I got the picture) Tongue out

joanna Cool 

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532

mystery pic:  cheerios!

• Kay_G

dog treats or bones