Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

Sorry if I put too much into the lymphedema aspect of getting that shot.  Having just gotten it, I am probably over emphasizing the risk.  And I had all my lymph tissue out, so I was at a high risk to get it I suppose. 

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

Kittygirl-thanks for the yummy cake, chocolate--my fav!!!

Lori, weird pains and lack of pain is normal for awhile but I would get yourself to a PT so they can help relieve you. They can help alleviate your pain and give you exercises to help with LE. Mine was a godsend and if I could still afford it, I would still be going to her. Darn insurance.

Mmom--Sounds like QOL is important here, but I agree, I would check with your MO or RO. PCP usually don't know enough about cancer tx and issues.

Barbe and MMomSounds like we have the opposite problem! Living in Florida, I get the "why aren't you more tan?" And then tourists get mad at us  when it rains or gets below 40 degrees--like its our fault. We don't have snow, but we do have 100% humidity 365 days of the year!!! 

• VictoriaB
    VictoriaB Member Posts: 85

Claire, check this out! Someone posted in another forum about the bill up in Congress called The National Lymphedema Act! Even if its only for medicare now, it would result in changes in the insurance industry for us!

lymphedematreatmentact.org

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    stjude10,  You had quite a few nodes out, and there is going to be some numbness, tightness and soreness like you expected, BUT I think VicB has pointed you in the right direction.  Read up on "axillary web syndrome," also known as "cording" and see if that sounds like what is going on with you.  This is somethig you can have with no accompanying LE.
  • walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

stjude - I had cording issues, it was triggered by my rads treatment.  A lymphadema PT that specializes in this is the thing.  I was better after the first few treatments.  The bad thing was she was not on my insurance but she was the best in the area, so I paid the $92 per treatment to see her and it was worth it.  She gave me ideas to self massage the area under my arm and st reaching exercises.  Also, get your BS to prescribe you a compression sleeve.  It helps a lot too.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Zumba girl if you have a pic on FB you can right click and copy and then paste in on here.  A pop up will come and ask if you want to access and just click yes an repeat it and the picture will appear.  Then if it is really big you can click on the picture and on the bottom right corner you can click and hold and resize it.

• walker2222

I saw a movie on the Lifetime channel called "Five".  It had five short films about women who have breast cancer.  The tie in is that the Dr they all go to Mother died of BC and that is the reason she became a Dr. she also ends up have BC as well.  It was very moving, produced by Jennifer Aniston, several other women.  Each episode is directed by a different woman, Aniston, Alicia Keys, Demi Moore, Independent Spirit Award winner Patty Jenkins ("Monster") and Penelope Spheeris ("Wayne's World").  I cried, just a warning.  Each episode is moving, and well played.  It was sponsored by Ford Motor Worriors in Pink.

Here is the link about it:

http://www.mylifetime.com/movies/five/about

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

Will they be running "Five" again? There was a write-up in the paper and it looked good, but I forgot to DVR it.

Jessie - turns out I am chaperoning at Carrollton this weekend as well (we have a LOT of parents who want to chaperone, and so each week, that weekend's "chaperone picks" are "revealed" - it's not that dramatic, but close). I hope we can see your show in finals! Is there a video of it on YouTube anywhere? I LOVE hanging with the kids, but that's the big drawback: you don't get to see the other bands perform. Especially this week, as we won this contest last year so we get to perform last in prelims... 

BTW - for those of you who are NOT living in Texas, my children's high school's Homecoming is a week from this Friday. Sadly, they are both date-free, but their FRIENDS will be festooned with the fabulously ginormous "Homecoming Mums."  I shall take pictures. :)

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

p.s. I'm lying. It's not SADLY that they don't have homecoming dates. I'm actually pretty relieved! My youngest - 15 this coming January and a freshman - apparently had a boy who wanted to ask her. At first, she told me, she kind of liked the idea. Then she realized that while she liked the idea of BEING ASKED to Homecoming, she did NOT particularly like this boy. I joked about some of my relationships early on, which were based on, "Well, HE likes me, and I like me, so we have that in common." :) My older daughter (16 1/2) really likes this boy who is in a few of her classes and in band and in a Bible study group she attends when it's not marching season. He either just likes her as a friend, OR he's totally clueless that she likes him. Oh, high school romance! Wouldn't go back...

• stjude10
    stjude10 Member Posts: 230

Thanks for all the input gals. I found it very helpful. My BS is getting that machine to detect lymphadema. I am already scheduled to be the 1st one. Yay! That is on the 20th. I went to PT on Mon. and go again this Fri. The massage really helped the armpit and breast area, but not down to my wrist. She is not a specialized LE therapist. Will have to look and see if ther's one in my area. Thanks again everyone sooo much!

• walker2222

Coleen - here is a you tube link for game 4 at Pizza Hut Park, in Frisco.

http://www.youtube.com/user/wakelandband?feature=mhee

Just copy it if you cannot click on it, I wanted to link up to last weeks performance but it was not available.  I was going to chaperone this weekend as well put I am doing the Dallas Komen Race and then we plan on going to Carrollton.

Sorry if you click on it takes you to game 2 but it has other you tubes out there too for other games.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

MJBmiller thanks for the link on FIVE.  Life has been crazy and no time for TV but maybe tonight I can watch on my laptop.

• lwarstler
    lwarstler Member Posts: 123

There is another showing of "Five" this Saturday at 8pm and several at odd times during the week.

Kleenex: My daughter is 15 this last May and I am with you on the not going back...wish she could just skip all that until college but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen :( Oh well.

• annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160

oh man..i can't keep up with this thread but had to come in and give everyone a big hug:))

• lhasamom
    lhasamom Member Posts: 13

I've been lurking for a couple of days around this whole site.  Then I came across this thread.  I'm 51, had mastectomy on 8/18 w/ reconstruction.  Everything was going great.  Onco DX came back very low, so didn't need chemo, and the cancer was caught early by regular mamma. so I didn't need radiation either.  I thought I hit the jackpot! For the past couple of days my right breast where PS put the tissue expander in has gotten red and is warm to the touch!  I finally showed it to DH tonight and he was shocked at how red it actually is!  I told him I was hoping it would just go away.  So he made me promise to call the PS tomorrow!  God I hope he can call in a script for me!  My final appointment for expansion was to be the end of this month.  Sigh

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532
    good luck, ihasamom.  hope you get a script tomorrow and all goes well.
  • LovesChristmas-Barb
    LovesChristmas-Barb Member Posts: 504
    Welcome ihasamom and I hope it gets better soon!
  • tinkertude
    tinkertude Member Posts: 1,998

I agree I thought Five was very moving and well done! I

• walker2222

lhasamom - welcome and please please call your PS and get an apointment.  That is one of things you need to watch out for.  Keep us posted.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    Welcome, lhasamom!   Glad to hear you will be contacting your doc, it sounds like infection.  May as well ask...Is your screen name Lhasa-mom, like the dog breed; or I-has-a-mom, like I-has-one-too?
  • valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110

Still not caught up yet since vaca - ya'll are busy here!

Yearly mamm this Friday at 10 a.m.

Why, oh, why did I schedule it on a Friday?!?! I won't get the results until the middle of the week; they do not give instant results, so one has to wait. Yell

lhasamom, I agree with elimar, it sounds like an infection. Please keep us posted, okay?  

• lwarstler
    lwarstler Member Posts: 123

lhasamom: I hope you call today and your PS can call in a script...if not, getting in there ASAP can help get things cleared up for your last appointment. Definitely don't wait for it to go away.

Valjean: It's so hard to think everything through for our appointments...I think almost all my DX appointments were on Friday with at least 2 day and sometimes 3 day weekend waits...awful to wait!! Hoping and praying for good results for you and a not-to-worried weekend. :) 

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

Welcome lhasamom to the place you never thought you would be. We are here with open arms and hearts, so don't feel alone thru this process. Something tells me that I couldn't create a cake that would be just right to welcome you. . . 

I'm no doctor, don't even play one on tv, but IMHO you should get yourself to your doc, does sound like an infection to me too! 

Valjean, good luck tomorrow, I'll jump in that pocket! I'm bringing the brownies!

• Kay_G

Oh, Claire, that looks like my dog!  Or what he should look like if he is groomed.  He usually looks kind of shaggy and raggedy, but he is well loved.  Is that a lhapso apso?  I have a bijon and he looks pretty much like that.

lhasamom, welcome! 

Valjean, good luck with the mammo tomorrow and I'll be in the pocket too.  I'm eating the brownies!  I'll bring the cheetos, but someone else can eat them.

• juliet62
    juliet62 Member Posts: 3,246

valjean, good luck for tomorrow, i'll bring the chips

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

ihasamom - Welcome to the club no one wants to be a member of.  Please call your PS and try to get in right away.  The gals are right - it sounds like an infection - and you don't want to mess around with that.

• stjude10
    stjude10 Member Posts: 230

Climb in my pockets this morning gals. On my way to hospital to get my port put in. Have to say, functioning w/out my coffee...well, it sucks! Will look at my surgery as time to take a great nap! Bring whatever snacks you like, I'm not a picky girl. That's why I'm not skinny!

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Lori - I am getting in your pocket.  Hope you don't mind if I bring my breakfast with me. 

• Kay_G

Hi Lori!  My port surgery was very easy.  Just had twilight sleep and asked them to be light on that.  I was awake the whole time.  Really not much pain a lot of pulling and tugging.  Have had no problems with it through chemo and it's now 7 months since I had it.  Keeping it through year of Herceptin.  You will be very happy you have it.  Jumping in your pocket with my coffee.  Don't worry it has a lid on it.

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413

ok - I'll post responses to everyone separately later but welcome newbies and good luck everyone with testing/appointments.

I don't usually do this but:

Today is Metastatic Breast Cancer Awareness Day. For each view of Faces of MBC video, $1 will be to MBC initiatives (up to $20K). Watch today – www.facesofmbc.org